ADVERTISEMENT

One more step closer to a Big 12 title

Ughh... still annoyed Kansas had to pick this year to suck.

WVU and Iowa State been on their heels for years, but fvcking K-State and Bruce Weber is gonna be the one to break the streak. Eyeroll

Kansas State has a share locked up, effectively. They have been looking really good lately. Even if they lose in Lawrence they’ll be a game ahead. This is going to be a popular pick to make a deep tourney run

Reactions: RockChalkRally
I havent seen K State play once this season I dont believe. Ill be tuning in tonight to watch fo sho.

I'll laugh my ass off if KU still manages to claim a share.

Not necessarily expecting it, but all it would take is K-State losing in AFH and @ TCU and Tech losing in Ames.

I'll laugh my ass off if KU still manages to claim a share.

Not necessarily expecting it, but all it would take is K-State losing in AFH and @ TCU and Tech losing in Ames.

Never know, but this is their worst team (as is right now) since 08-09 when they started from scratch after the natty. Which is funny, bc it WAS their best and deepest team starting out since the 07-08 title team at preseason...then....

Doke injury
Silvio suspension
Vick head case and off team

Amazing collapse. But a collapse for KU still yields a competitive team

Never know, but this is their worst team (as is right now) since 08-09 when they started from scratch after the natty. Which is funny, bc it WAS their best and deepest team starting out since the 07-08 title team at preseason...then....

Doke injury
Silvio suspension

I get your point but just want to make some corrections.

The 2010 and 2011 teams were much much deeper, IMO. I think one of those years the 13th guy on the bench was a top 125 player in the country.

I'd pick that 2009 team over this one. They came on strong at the end of the year. This team is playing worse at this point of the year than any team going back to 2005. Overall they might be the worst team since 2000 but that's the eligible roster as it is today (and heading into postseason). Without those injuries they'd be a lot better.

Doke injury
Silvio suspension

I get your point but just want to make some corrections.

The 2010 and 2011 teams were much much deeper, IMO. I think one of those years the 13th guy on the bench was a top 125 player in the country.

I'd pick that 2009 team over this one. They came on strong at the end of the year. This team is playing worse at this point of the year than any team going back to 2005. Overall they might be the worst team since 2000 but that's the eligible roster as it is today (and heading into postseason). Without those injuries they'd be a lot better.

This team at preseason could win the natty. Name the teams you though legit could BEFORE the year started going back to 07-08

09-10 bc of seniors Sherron and Cole
10-11 bc of Morris twins with T-Rob
16-17 bc Of Frank as a senior and decent depth
17-18 bc of the 3 guards and healthy Doke
18-19 bc deepest since 07-08 imo and finally “Big” again until injury of Doke and ineligibility Of Silvio

11-12 was a shock to everyone bc extremely thin team but T Rob and senior PG in Tyshawn got to natty game

This team at preseason could win the natty. Name the teams you though legit could BEFORE the year started going back to 07-08

18-19 bc deepest since 07-08 imo and finally “Big” again until injury of Doke and ineligibility Of Silvio
2010, 2011, 2013, 2016 and 2017. Those are the teams I thought could win it before the season. I thought this year they could be pretty good but with so many new faces I was unsure how good they could be.

Yes, the injuries hurt them. That's why I said the team today is playing their worst ball in late February since 2005 and the team today is probably the worst since 2000.

2010, 2011, 2013, 2016 and 2017. Those are the teams I thought could win it before the season. I thought this year they could be pretty good but with so many new faces I was unsure how good they could be.

Yes, the injuries hurt them. That's why I said the team today is playing their worst ball in late February since 2005 and the team today is probably the worst since 2000.

16-18 teams were hurt by bigs badly. Bragg transfer in 17, Preston ineligibility in 18, Doke injury in 17

Actually, 14 team the same with Embiid. Just think if KU could keep the bigs healthy and out of trouble what could have been...

Doke injury
Silvio suspension

The pieces looked good on paper, but I'm not sure it would have been the best since 08, even with De Sousa. Although I think he would've been great.

Grimes was extremely overrated, and Vick doesn't exactly provide the senior leadership you look for.

Doke injury
Silvio suspension

The pieces looked good on paper, but I'm not sure it would have been the best since 08, even with De Sousa. Although I think he would've been great.

Grimes was extremely overrated, and Vick doesn't exactly provide the senior leadership you look for.

Perhaps just Missing a Devonte or a frank to get there, but pretty close as is.

07-08 had Mario and RR but neither as good as Devonte or Frank.

Perhaps just Missing a Devonte or a frank to get there, but pretty close as is.

07-08 had Mario and RR but neither as good as Devonte or Frank.
I'd rank this team pre-season somewhere in the 6-9 range for pre-season KU teams under Bill Self. Most people didn't know if they were really the #1 team heading into the year.

2007 - Brought back everybody from incredible 2004/2005 recruiting classes + Collins and Arthur
2008 - Same as above minus Julian Wright
2010 - Deepest team in school history. 2 pre-season 1st All American candidates
2011 - Lost some great players but everybody else was back. And those who returned showed their potential the year before
2013 - 3 really good seniors + a one and done player. People may have been higher on 2019 KU but I wasn't.
2016 - All American senior + Graham/Mason/Selden and other quality guys. Great depth
2017 - Best backcourt in the country + #1 high school player in the country

I had more confidence in all of those teams than I had in this team before the season started. I would imagine that most KU fans would have as well.

You could also argue that the 2005 team had a lot more promise. They were #1 to start the season. Here are some starters from that year. I forgot who was the 5th.

Simien - Senior
Langford - Senior
Miles - Senior
Giddens - Sophomore

They also had one of the best freshman recruiting classes in KU's recent history. Loaded with young talent. That team just faded hard at the end. It was the last of the Roy's boys who played meaningful minutes.

You could also argue that the 2005 team had a lot more promise. They were #1 to start the season. Here are some starters from that year. I forgot who was the 5th.

Simien - Senior
Langford - Senior
Miles - Senior
Giddens - Sophomore

They also had one of the best freshman recruiting classes in KU's recent history. Loaded with young talent. That team just faded hard at the end. It was the last of the Roy's boys who played meaningful minutes.

moody?

Simien - Senior
Langford - Senior
Miles - Senior
Giddens - Sophomore

That team severely underperformed obviously.

It’s game time boys.

You guys claiming this team wasn’t loaded are crazy. If Dok and Silvio play this team may have 1 or two losses all year. Those two being out completely changes the team and our depth. Made us go to a perimeter team, and forced guys who would never see the floor into big minutes. Hell this team with just Dok and Vick is undefeated with wins over Tennessee Marquette Michigan St and Villinova. Who has a better package of wins than that? We would have added Kentucky to that mix with them as well. You are smoking crack if you don’t think this Kansas team was 1A behind Duke to win the championship with all their pieces.

You guys claiming this team wasn’t loaded are crazy. If Dok and Silvio play this team may have 1 or two losses all year. Those two being out completely changes the team and our depth. Made us go to a perimeter team, and forced guys who would never see the floor into big minutes. Hell this team with just Dok and Vick is undefeated with wins over Tennessee Marquette Michigan St and Villinova. Who has a better package of wins than that? We would have added Kentucky to that mix with them as well. You are smoking crack if you don’t think this Kansas team was 1A behind Duke to win the championship with all their pieces.
They would have been good with everybody playing but 1-2 losses all season good? Possibly since the Big 12 is pretty weak this year but a record like that is comparable to 2008, 2010 and 2011. I didn’t think they’d be as good as any of those teams. It’s hard to predict how good somebody will be when there’s so many new faces.

I could just be getting older though. I certainly don’t get nearly as excited for Kansas basketball as I used to. That might give me some nostalgia for those older teams which skews my thinking on topics like this.

They would have been good with everybody playing but 1-2 losses all season good? Possibly since the Big 12 is pretty weak this year but a record like that is comparable to 2008, 2010 and 2011. I didn’t think they’d be as good as any of those teams. It’s hard to predict how good somebody will be when there’s so many new faces.

I could just be getting older though. I certainly don’t get nearly as excited for Kansas basketball as I used to. That might give me some nostalgia for those older teams which skews my thinking on topics like this.
Enthusiasm lessens with weaker teams.

16-18 teams were hurt by bigs badly. Bragg transfer in 17, Preston ineligibility in 18, Doke injury in 17

Actually, 14 team the same with Embiid. Just think if KU could keep the bigs healthy and out of trouble what could have been...
Don’t make me think about what could have been. Embiid was a beast at the end of the year and made us a completely different team. And the field was weak that year. We could have been the new Danny Manning.

Last edited:
Kansas was not beating UK at Rupp this year.

Kansas was not beating UK at Rupp this year.
If they were at full strength with Azubuike and DeSousa like his post implies then they certainly could have. Kentucky didn't exactly dominate Kansas in that game when they were both on the bench.

Please. KU would have had a very good chance to win that game.

Kentucky would not have had a 49-36 rebounding advantage with Azubuike and De Sousa involved. Probably closer to the opposite.

Please. KU would have had a very good chance to win that game.

Kentucky would not have had a 49-36 rebounding advantage with Azubuike and De Sousa involved. Probably closer to the opposite.
UK was up by double digits multiple times. Game was never in question. I love that you think KU would waltz into Rupp and beat a top 5 team like it’s a certain thing. Enjoy that L

UK was up by double digits multiple times. Game was never in question. I love that you think KU would waltz into Rupp and beat a top 5 team like it’s a certain thing. Enjoy that L
Kansas was up 16-6 early in the game. Kentucky didn't have a 10 point lead until there was 2:23 left in the game. You guys kind of struggled to put them away for the most part. It wasn't until the final 3 minutes that it looked like Kentucky had the win. You add an All American center and an elite and upcoming PF to the mix and there's no reason to think that Kansas couldn't have won the game.

Kansas was up 16-6 early in the game. Kentucky didn't have a 10 point lead until there was 2:23 left in the game. You guys kind of struggled to put them away for the most part. It wasn't until the final 3 minutes that it looked like Kentucky had the win. You add an All American center and an elite and upcoming PF to the mix and there's no reason to think that Kansas couldn't have won the game.
I never said they couldn’t win the game. My original post was in response to a KU fan acting like beating a top 5 team in an extremely tough venue was a sure thing. Kentucky still would have been favored.

Who cares if they went up double digits? Do you understand the difference Azubuike made?

De Sousa would have been one of the best rebounders in the nation plus an efficient post scorer. Kind of a different team, hence preseason #1.

But enjoy the W. I mean, Cal needs either a depleted KU roster or a historically talented team to get one, after all.

I never said they couldn’t win the game. My original post was in response to a KU fan acting like beating a top 5 team in an extremely tough venue was a sure thing. Kentucky still would have been favored.
Kentucky was ranked #8 at that time. IF KU had all of those guys playing then it's possible they come into Rupp with a top 3 ranking. I don't know if Kentucky would've been favored if that were the case. Who knows though. I do think a team with DeSousa and Azubuike this year would've been better than Kentucky.

Who cares if they went up double digits? Do you understand the difference Azubuike made?

De Sousa would have been one of the best rebounders in the nation plus an efficient post scorer. Kind of a different team, hence preseason #1.

But enjoy the W. I mean, Cal needs either a depleted KU roster or a historically talented team to get one, after all.
He is a hell of a player. Hypotheticals are fun

If you go back and actually read, you’ll see that you were the only one acting as if one outcome was a sure thing.

ADVERTISEMENT