ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you have him in the same tier as Ja Morant? Anthony Edwards? London Ball?

Calling him a top tier athlete means you do consider him on the same tier athletically.

Take the bet, coward.

Who are the better athletes?

He had 1 put back dunk lol. He had like 10 dunks max on the year. You can watch every highlight from his freshman year in this video.

There is little point in going back and forth with you on this, as you guys are set in your ways, but he is not an elite athlete at the college level. He’s a really good athlete for the college level, but certainly not elite (Zion, Oladipo, Ja Morant, etc). If you can find me any scouting report that calls Jaden Ivey an elite athlete, I’ll stop (obviously it can’t be written by a fanboy like Nuebs).

“Solid Athlete”

What is your definition of “elite?” Is he in the top 2 or 3 of all college basketball players? Probably not. Is he in the top 5%? Absolutely.

here comes the hyperbole from the mental monkeys. Ivey =\= MJ. Gotta love that.

here comes the hyperbole from the mental monkeys. Ivey =\= MJ. Gotta love that.
tenor.gif

And that’s why so many are high on Ivey. His athleticism + skill set in other areas.

We are aware. I think everyone here has said he could be first team all conference.

1987 asked who is a better athlete. Barnes is the best athlete in our class IMO and that includes two two five stars. He’s got the most athletic looking HS highlights of any Michigan recruiting I’ve followed.

I have no idea if we will be able to get minutes with such a log jam on our wing but that doesn’t mean he’s not ridiculously athletic.

I get it but nba scouts aren’t going to back off because of the shooting numbers. He does a ton of other things really well that make you OK with taking him as a high pick. And I just think he’s going to be the alpha next year for Purdue who should be a top 15ish team all season. Hence why I think he’ll be unanimous first team.

To me there's a gap between having NBA potential and being a 1st team all B1G. They don't name players to first team based on potential. Two completely different things. Like I said he shoots 30%+ and he'll have a decent shot making first team, 35+ and he'll make it with the other things he does so well. But having NBA potential doesn't equal first team all B1G.

His athleticism is what makes him an NBA prospect. It's what makes him a good defender and a distributor. Getting his man out of position and requiring help gets others open. But I want to see his shot improve before you can say he's a 1st team all B1G. I'll be surprised if he's not at least a 2nd team all B1G.
Yes but would you be shocked?

Sounds about right. I’ll add that it will likely also be at a pretty high volume.
What's a high volume? Honestly I'd be pissed if he did unless he becomes a 35+. He's game is getting to the hole and either kicking or get a basket and or fouled. I just don't see that as being part of what he does well.

What's a high volume? Honestly I'd be pissed if he did unless he becomes a 35+. He's game is getting to the hole and either kicking or get a basket and or fouled. I just don't see that as being part of what he does well.
Last 7 games of the season he shot it at 35% on 7 attempts a game. Unless he is shooting in that range or higher, coach may reign him, but my guess would ~6 per game.

Reactions: IUBtown
Last 7 games of the season he shot it at 35% on 7 attempts a game. Unless he is shooting in that range or higher, coach may reign him, but my guess would ~6 per game.

35% on 7 attempts a game would be damn good given his other skill sets.

I think Gabe Brown/Max Christie could be one of the better wing combos in the conferences. I think Gabe is poised to take a step, he’s already an elite shooter, and Christie is a 5 star for a reason.

I’m not familiar enough to rank them against the rest of the conference yet with all of the transfer, but I think they’ll be pretty good. Even if they disappoint, it’s still a floor spacing improvement from last year.

I think Gabe Brown/Max Christie could be one of the better wing combos in the conferences. I think Gabe is poised to take a step, he’s already an elite shooter, and Christie is a 5 star for a reason.

I’m not familiar enough to rank them against the rest of the conference yet with all of the transfer, but I think they’ll be pretty good. Even if they disappoint, it’s still a floor spacing improvement from last year.
Didn't you know you aren't allowed to use the word "elite" in this thread?

Behind Brooks/Houstan/Johns/Diabate

Reactions: RichardMassive
Johns/Diabete aren’t relevant when talking about SG/SF

I would put Brooks and Houstan ahead of them. I think that’s fair based off of what we’ve seen.
I'm anxious to see the gains Brandon Newman makes. I think we know what we have with Sasha (a 40% 3P shooter with limited mobility) but Newman has the potential to elevate above him. He shot 38% from three as a true freshman and 94% from the FT line. His form is pure so I think he can be a 45% shooter with good athleticism (he blocked a number of 3's last year). He showed his potential when he put up 29 against Minnesota last year but needs to show it more consistently.

If Newman elevates, I'd put Ivey/Newman on par with just about anyone, especially when you throw Sasha into the rotation as well.

I'm anxious to see the gains Brandon Newman makes. I think we know what we have with Sasha (a 40% 3P shooter with limited mobility) but Newman has the potential to elevate above him. He shot 38% from three as a true freshman and 94% from the FT line. His form is pure so I think he can be a 45% shooter with good athleticism (he blocked a number of 3's last year). He showed his potential when he put up 29 against Minnesota last year but needs to show it more consistently.

If Newman elevates, I'd put Ivey/Newman on par with just about anyone, especially when you throw Sasha into the rotation as well.

Who’s your PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT