ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off Season Thread****

Old B1G threads get deleted, do we keep everything as is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a mom that’s 5’10 and a dad over 6’0 I won’t be surprised at all if he keeps growing. 5’10 is tall for a woman.

I don’t think it’s that high risk when Smith and Waddell are your 12th and 13th scholarships. Give them a few years to develop until you can count on them as upperclassmen.
Waddell probably will play the 3 primarily IMO but in certain lineups down the road I could see him maybe play some small-ball 4.

Big question will be do we get 3 years out of Ivey. Not a certainty he goes after next year but I think he’ll have a good chance to play himself into a first round pick tbh. Because you’re right that if we trade off Ivey/Sasha/Hunter for Loyer/Smith/Waddell, we’re obviously net negative there and the big reason is Ivey. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if we add another guard for that class though.

Iowa doesnt have the overall roster talent Purdue has so it’s not apples to apples.
Iowa last year didn’t have the overall talent that Purdue would have next year with Hunter, Sasha, Ivey, and Williams all gone?

You have to be trolling. They had the national POY in Garza and a player in Wieskamp that would be better than any player on Purdue’s roster without those 4 players.

Wow.

Iowa last year didn’t have the overall talent that Purdue would have next year with Hunter, Sasha, Ivey, and Williams all gone?

You have to be trolling. They had the national POY in Garza and a player in Wieskamp that would be better than any player on Purdue’s roster without those 4 players.

Wow.
Your team is a dumpster fire. Full stop.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
Wishful thinking is an understatement. If IU had these 2 as their backcourt of the future, boilers would be mocking them incessantly. Kids like spike albrecht and stu Douglas worked out for us, so it’s always possible...not likely though
Not sure how I got quoted.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
Wishful thinking is an understatement. If IU had these 2 as their backcourt of the future, boilers would be mocking them incessantly. Kids like spike albrecht and stu Douglas worked out for us, so it’s always possible...not likely though
Loyer is ranked in the top 100 and is a 4*

“Smith and fletcher will be a solid tandem for us” just seems a bit optimistic

If I would’ve said PJ Thompson and Dakota Mathias would’ve been a solid tandem for us when they came in, would that have been a bit optimistic?

Look at Painter’s track record with guards that weren’t heavily recruited. Hell Ryan Cline’s second best offer was Ball State. Most of the under-the-radar guards he’s brought in have turned out to be solid.

Wow.

Depends if Ivey leaves. If he comes back for his junior year, he could be vying for All-American status. Bottom line is Painter/Purdue recruit much better overall than Iowa. Not really much of a comparison.

I have no idea how they’ll turn out but it’s important for Purdue to always have guards like Sasha/Cline/Mathias etc. to space the floor/be good passers/play with high b-ball IQ, etc. and that’s what Waddell and Smith will give you.

They’ll never be stars but they’re good b-ball players that help win a lot of games & know their place within the offense.

It’s about the team build & not the individual ceiling of each player.

You would think iu fans like @NC_Trojan10 would understand that the build of the team is more important than literally every player’s ranking that commits.

Reactions: boiler1987
I have no idea how they’ll turn out but it’s important for Purdue to always have guards like Sasha/Cline/Mathias etc. to space the floor/be good passers/play with high b-ball IQ, etc. and that’s what Waddell and Smith will give you.

They’ll never be stars but they’re good b-ball players that help win a lot of games & know their place within the offense.

You would think iu fans like @NC_Trojan10 would understand that the build of the team is more important than literally every player’s ranking that commits.

I think his point is that expecting Smith to be Sasha/Cline/Mathias level is probably really optimistic.

I think his point is that expecting Smith to be Sasha/Cline/Mathias level is probably really optimistic.
It’s what he is though, except from the point guard spot. So maybe a P.J. Thompson would be a better comparison (even though Smith is more a driver than P.J. ever was). But a guy that’s undersized, plays with intensity, and can shoot the shit out of the ball. Doesn’t have to be a star to be a contributor.

& it’s not like Painter is taking him the day before the signing period, he clearly wanted him.

Why are we comparing a PG to three SG’s though? Probably better to compare Smith to guys like Thompson, Hunter, Eastern, etc...

It’s what he is though, except from the point guard spot. So maybe a P.J. Thompson would be a better comparison (even though Smith is more a driver than P.J. ever was). But a guy that’s undersized, plays with intensity, and can shoot the shit out of the ball. Doesn’t have to be a star to be a contributor.

I get that you don’t have to be a star to contribute and we’ve had plenty of underrated recruits ourself. Levert and Burke were both outside the top 100. But for every Levert there’s a Cole Bajema. For every Burke there’s a Carlton Brundidge. For every Abdur-Rahkman there an Adrian Nunez.

So yes maybe he contributes to a Thompson or Cline level, but you guys aren’t looking at this objectively if you don’t see that there’s a really low floor to go with that ceiling, too.

Reactions: RichardMassive
I get that you don’t have to be a star to contribute and we’ve had plenty of underrated recruits ourself. Levert and Burke were both outside the top 100. But for every Levert there’s a Cole Bajema. For every Burke there’s a Carlton Brundidge. For every Abdur-Rahkman there an Adrian Nunez.

So yes maybe he contributes to a Thompson or Cline level, but you guys aren’t looking at this objectively if you don’t see that there’s a really low floor to go with that ceiling, too.
I said idk how they’ll turn out but Purdue’s offense has always operated at the highest level when they’ve taken guys of this ilk. Hell a lot of higher ranked recruits bust too. I was really excited for a recruiting class of Bryson Scott, Kendall Stephens, and basil smotherman. None of them graduated from Purdue because others were outplaying them.

I said idk how they’ll turn out but Purdue’s offense has always operated at the highest level when they’ve taken guys of this ilk. Hell a lot of higher ranked recruits bust too. I was really excited for a recruiting class of Bryson Scott, Kendall Stephens, and basil smotherman. None of them graduated from Purdue because others were outplaying them.

Right. That’s my point. So to say that Smith and Loyer will form a solid back court together is pretty optimistic. What are the odds they are both good Big Ten level players considering bust rates?

Right. That’s my point. So to say that Smith and Loyer will form a solid back court together is pretty optimistic. What are the odds they are both good Big Ten level players considering bust rates?

What do you consider a solid backcourt?

We haven't watched a solid basketball team since 2016 I think so we don't know how to judge anything basketball. We're a football school now as well so we're almost down to Northwestern basketball fan level judgement.

I think it’s dumb to be dogmatic one way or the other. Im just pointing out to people like Trojan that these type of recruits are part of the reason Purdue’s had the success they have had.

I think it’s dumb to be dogmatic one way or the other. Im just pointing out to people like Trojan that these type of recruits are part of the reason Purdue’s had the success they have had.

And I’m just pointing out to people like boiler that there’s a decent chance both of those players don’t end up solid Big Ten players.

And I’m just pointing out to people like boiler that there’s a decent chance both of those players don’t end up solid Big Ten players.
Entirely possible. It’s the off-season so I’m optimistic haha. I think they’ll be solid though (by solid I mean having careers like Thompson/Cline).

No argument from me on that front. No one knows anything & impossible to judge until their careers are over.

Entirely possible. It’s the off-season so I’m optimistic haha. I think they’ll be solid though (by solid I mean having careers like Thompson/Cline).

My whole stance on this is more about how many Michigan players have been ass here. It’s hard to argue against Purdue’s track record of solid sidekicks but in my head I can make like 10 top 150 players we’ve had that have been pretty bad for us

Not sure how you want me to quantify it. I think Mike Smith and Eli Brooks is a solid back court. They combined for about 18 points and 8 assists. Maybe like 16 and 6 combined would be a threshold? Again not sure how to quantify it.
They were a solid back court because of the team they played for. If Northwestern’s backcourt averaged 18 and 8, we wouldn’t call it a solid backcourt. But when you’re playing with 3 all Big Ten players, they definitely are. We’ll never have a true objective solid back court average. You have to take team success into account.

Not sure how you want me to quantify it. I think Mike Smith and Eli Brooks is a solid back court. They combined for about 18 points and 8 assists. Maybe like 16 and 6 combined would be a threshold? Again not sure how to quantify it.

Probably fair. And I should’ve clarified but I don’t think they’ll be solid until they’re in the program for a few years. Don’t expect much the first couple years.

Recruiting is the most important aspect of college basketball, imo. Even Tom Crean won the Big Ten twice and had IU #1 in the nation and we all know what type of coach he is.

There is nothing wrong with adding a Mathias/Cline/Sasha type. Your issue with the 22’ class is that you have 3 recruits and they are all that type of player.

Last edited:
Recruiting is the most important aspect of college basketball. Even Tom Crean won the Big Ten twice and had IU #1 in the nation and we all know what type of coach he is.

There is nothing wrong with adding a Mathias/Cline/Sasha type. Your issue with the 22’ class is that you have 3 recruits and they are all that type of player.
I get all 3 are white but they’re very different players at different positions. It’d be like saying P.J. Thompson and Dakota Mathias were the same type of player for those teams.

Both great shooters but very different players.

They were a solid back court because of the team they played for. If Northwestern’s backcourt averaged 18 and 8, we wouldn’t call it a solid backcourt. But when you’re playing with 3 all Big Ten players, they definitely are. We’ll never have a true objective solid back court average. You have to take team success into account.
This. We must have had a super solid back court. Trice and Bruce combined for 23 and 6.5. But they weren’t playing with much in the front court this year. Or on the wing. Or anywhere else.

I get all 3 are white but they’re very different players at different positions. It’d be like saying P.J. Thompson and Dakota Mathias were the same type of player for those teams.

tenor.gif

They are all good shooters. That’s their trait. Non of them are great athletes. Smith and Waddell specifically are reaches.

Would you guys seriously be pumped about having another PJ Thompson?

They are all good shooters. That’s their trait. Non of them are great athletes. Smith and Waddell specifically are reaches.

Would you guys seriously be pumped about having another PJ Thompson?
No offense but I’ll trust Purdue’s coaching staff over your personal opinion.

And a PG that started for three years, took care of the ball, shot 40+% from 3 all three of those seasons, was a team leader and is still on staff in some capacity to this day & won 83 games in those 3 years he started? Oh the horror.

yeah, I’d think I’d take another P.J. Thompson.

• Haha

This. We must have had a super solid back court. Trice and Bruce combined for 23 and 6.5. But they weren’t playing with much in the front court this year. Or on the wing. Or anywhere else.

You guys are proving my mount. If Mike Smith and Eli Brooks aren’t even consider “solid” outside of playing with an elite front court then that’s a high bar for an Smith and Loyer.

Reactions: MGC_07
You guys are proving my mount. If Mike Smith and Eli Brooks aren’t even consider “solid” outside of playing with an elite front court then that’s a high bar for an Smith and Loyer.
I thought smith and brooks were solid. Way more than a short SG and an Ewok should be at least.

Reactions: MGC_07 and otte21
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT