ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G Off-Season Thread***

Nobody said anything about it being easy. You decided to add that part. You know that shooting a 3 in the NBA is way different than shooting a 3 in College, yet you continue to bring up this straw man argument.

So then would you agree that developing a useful NBA shot is sometimes just too hard for some players? It was too hard for Swanigan.

Reactions: texanhoosier1982
Y'all spent a lot of time discussing shooting the basketball better to help you get drafted. It's a ground breaking thought that could revolutionize the way college players practice.

Y'all spent a lot of time discussing shooting the basketball better to help you get drafted. It's a ground breaking thought that could revolutionize the way college players practice.
There are some home boarders asking if Edey should work to incorporate some Jokic to his game.

Pretty easy deal - become Nikola Jokic in an off-season and make millions!

If he shot 3's in high school, it couldn't have been much because the little amount of search I did found no stats on his high school 3 point shooting.

Since you seem to honestly not understand. I brought up Swanigan because:

-Both Swanigan and TJD were 5* recruits. Edey was ranked below 400
-Both Swanigan and TJD played the 5 as Edey, but they have/had ball handling skills Edey doesn't
-Both Swanigan and TJD are much more athletic than Edey. Something the NBA wants

The comparisons between TJD and Swanigan are much better than TJD to Edey. They are just totally different players with different skill sets and athletic leveles. I did agree that Edey would help his draft status if he developed an outside shot, but all things being equal, if Edey and TJD both shot 40% from 3 last year, TJD is definitely going first round and Edey would still be borderline.
I am not and have not been talking about their broader game and skills. I was talking about how they both play deep in the post and don’t shoot threes. Just magically expecting TJD to start shooting threes because it would help him and giving Edey a pass is as idiotic as it gets. Neither
have shot the three with regularity. Swanigan did in high school and when he first came to college. Comparing him to TJD in this discussion is apples to oranges and deflection.

You agree that developing a useful NBA shot is sometimes just too hard for some players, but don’t see how the relates to TJD not developing a useful NBA shot to be picked in the first round?
Huh? Last time I checked, you get drafted before playing in the nba. Swanigan shot a great % from 3 in college his last year and got drafted first round. He would not have been drafted that high without the growth in his perimeter game at the college level.

Huh? Last time I checked, you get drafted before playing in the nba. Swanigan shot a great % from 3 in college his last year and got drafted first round. He would not have been drafted that high without the growth in his perimeter game at the college level.
Huh? Last time I checked, Swanigan shot like dogshit in the NBA. Probably because he didn’t develop his shot enough. Sad.

Why didn’t he develop the shot to be useful enough to stick on an NBA roster? 2 for 17 over 75 games is useless shooting. Why didn’t he develop it more?

Last edited:
If the NBA only valued post-entry passes more.
400.jpeg

For real though even for off-season fodder, skimming through the last few pages has been painful.

Why didn’t he develop the shot to be useful enough to stick on an NBA roster? 2 for 17 over 75 games is useless shooting. Why didn’t he develop it more?
Because he became a drug addict and gained a hundred pounds and then died? We’ve been talking about player development to get drafted first round. Seriously, what the fck are you talking anout? I know SNU is your butt buddy, but you are better than this.

Because he became a drug addict and gained a hundred pounds and then died? We’ve been talking about player development to get drafted first round. Seriously, what the fck are you talking anout? I know SNU is your butt buddy, but you are better than this.
Maybe he should have focused on his game development more and the off court stuff wouldn’t have happened…

And your point is? Doesn’t change the fact that he developed a jump shot while in college which helped him get drafted first round.
And I hope you’re smart enough to understand that it’s much easier to improve your percentage as someone who regularly shoots outside shots than it is to just magically start shooting them halfway through your college career.

And he clearly didn’t develop enough of a jump shot considering he shot 2-17 in the NBA. That’s God awful….

And I hope you’re smart enough to understand that it’s much easier to improve your percentage as someone who regularly shoots outside shots than it is to just magically start shooting them halfway through your college career.

And he clearly didn’t develop enough of a jump shot considering he shot 2-17 in the NBA. That’s God awful….
Why are we talking anout post draft play? The premise was that TJD with his athletic abilities would be a definite first round pick IF he developed a shot while in college. You get drafted BEFORE playing in the nba. It’s not a hard concept. After all these years, you are still a fcking moron.

Reactions: Boilermaker03

He played in 75 games and only shot 2 of 17 from three in those games. He couldn’t stick to a roster.

In the 4 years he was in the league why did he settle for being such a poor shooter?

Why are we talking anout post draft play? The premise was that TJD with his athletic abilities would be a definite first round pick IF he developed a shot while in college. You get drafted BEFORE playing in the nba. It’s not a hard concept. After all these years, you are still a fcking moron.

Are you an idiot? This has already been asked and answered.

The point is developing and NBA level shot is difficult. If it were easy, Swanigan would’ve shot better than 2 for 17 over 655 minutes.

Trolling TJD for not developing an NBA level shot when not even Swanigan’s shot was useful in the NBA makes you guys sound stupid. Some guys just aren’t going to be shooters at the next level.

Are you an idiot? This has already been asked and answered.

The point is developing and NBA level shot is difficult. If it were easy, Swanigan would’ve shot better than 2 for 17 over 655 minutes.

Trolling TJD for not developing an NBA level shot when not even Swanigan’s shot was useful in the NBA makes you guys sound stupid. Some guys just aren’t going to be shooters at the next level.
“NBA level shot” LOL. Swanigan was drafted BEFORE he a shot a total of 17 three pointers over three NBA years where he barely played. He developed a shot while in COLLEGE, and it helped a slow 6’8 center with very limited athleticism get drafted in the first round. I haven’t trolled anyone. It’s just hard to argue with the fact that if TJD developed any sense of a jump shot in COLLEGE with his natural athletic gifts, he would be rated much higher by NBA scouts PRE-draft and PRE-actual NBA games.

“NBA level shot” LOL. Swanigan was drafted BEFORE he a shot a total of 17 three pointers over three NBA years where he barely played. He developed a shot while in COLLEGE, and it helped a slow 6’8 center with very limited athleticism get drafted in the first round. I haven’t trolled anyone. It’s just hard to argue with the fact that if TJD developed any sense of a jump shot in COLLEGE with his natural athletic gifts, he would be rated much higher by NBA scouts PRE-draft and PRE-actual NBA games.

But why didn’t Swanigan shoot better than 2 for 17 from three in 655 minutes?

Can we agree it’s because developing a shot that’s useful in the NBA is hard?

But why didn’t Swanigan shoot better than 2 for 17 from three in 655 minutes?

Can we agree it’s because developing a shot that’s useful in the NBA is hard?
Because he wasn’t good enough and let himself go after college. Then he died.

Can we agree that Swanigan developed a COLLEGE three point shot, which helped hom go first round while TJD not developing a COLLEGE jumper is hindering his draft stock? Can we agree that the NBA draft happens BEFORE rookies actually play NBA games?

Why didn’t he develop the shot enough, though? If developing shots is so easy he should’ve been able to develop a shot to stick on a roster.

Will you agree that sometimes players just aren’t ever going to be useful shooters in the NBA?
Sure. Can you admit that players that show that they can shoot at the college level help themselves in the NBA draft?

Sure. Can you admit that players that show that they can shoot at the college level help themselves in the NBA draft?

Swanigan wasn’t able to develop his shot enough to be useful or stick on NBA rosters.

TJD wasn’t able to develop his shot enough to be drafted in the first round.

Some players just aren’t good enough shooters to be able to develop into being a useful NBA shooter.

Swanigan wasn’t able to develop his shot enough to be useful or stick on NBA rosters.

Some players just aren’t good enough shooters to be able to develop into being a useful NBA shooter.
Agreed

Well if you weren’t a fcktard you would understand that Swanigan didn’t develop any shooting considering he shot 2-17 in his NBA career.

I’d also add the Edey developing a consistent outside shot would also help his draft prospects.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
I've always considered you to be a more reasonable poster. Are you truly saying you don't understand the scope of the conversation here?
I 100% understand....When I said why dont Purdue players widen their games, I meant guys who had/have a chance to get drafted. Are you saying Ivey is the ONLY player under Painter, or of recent, that had a chance to be drafted? Or guys who couldn't hang around?

Trevion? Haarms? Haas? Edwards(Vince}. Carson.....Hammons?

Nevermind----JFC. I went back to like , I dunno, seemingly forever. I guess there hasn't been that many NBA possibles come ya'lls way.

Last edited:
Maybe he should’ve shown that to NBA scouts
Reading comprehension issues? If Painter isn't willing to allow it yet then it's likely not good enough for the scouts either. I did read that scouts were impressed with his range of shooting, but the shots he showed off were still inside the arc.

I am not and have not been talking about their broader game and skills. I was talking about how they both play deep in the post and don’t shoot threes. Just magically expecting TJD to start shooting threes because it would help him and giving Edey a pass is as idiotic as it gets. Neither
have shot the three with regularity. Swanigan did in high school and when he first came to college. Comparing him to TJD in this discussion is apples to oranges and deflection.
No, what is as idiotic as it gets is ignoring the fact that TJD is a very rounded player sans his long range jumper. WAY more than Edey. When was the last time you saw Edey dribble between his legs, spin around his defender and tomahawk dunk with skill and quickness? You're comparing TJD to a totally different type of player in Edey.

Nobody said anything would be magically done. Perhaps he's tried and it's just not in his wheelhouse. I'm not saying he hasn't tried. All I'm saying is if he could have, it would have significantly helped his draft spot. Yes, the same could be said for Edey, but all things being equal, they are going to take TJD over Edey because of his ball skills and athleticism. I don't understand how that concept is so crazy to consider. TJD was one of the best players in the country last year. He has skill and athleticism that Edey doesn't have.

You might as well give up. They're dedicated to a straw man argument so they don't have to be wrong. It's quite pathetic.

Now comes the retort of something about Purdue being pathetic from these guys. Gotta love internet trolls.

I 100% understand....When I said why dont Purdue players widen their games, I meant guys who had/have a chance to get drafted. Are you saying Ivey is the ONLY player under Painter, or of recent, that had a chance to be drafted? Or guys who couldn't hang around?

Trevion? Haarms? Haas? Edwards(Vince}. Carson.....Hammons?

Nevermind----JFC. I went back to like , I dunno, seemingly forever. I guess there hasn't been that many NBA possibles come ya'lls way.
You're right, we haven't had many with the ability to come our way. The few that did were borderline sans Ivey. Trevion had the skill set but he was too slow. Haarms left Purdue so I'm not sure what happened after he graduated from BYU. He had poential. Haas was too big and slow. V. Edwards was a very good college player, but again, too slow. Carson had the skill, but he was too small. Hammons would have actually been the one to really do it. He had the tools but he just didn't give a shit and was lazy.

Etwan Moore was the only other one to have the skills and athleticism to make it and did. Hummel probably would have, but the knee issues. Who else played at Purdue since Painter has been there that were NBA lock type players? There aren't many.

Last edited:
You might as well give up. They're dedicated to a straw man argument so they don't have to be wrong. It's quite pathetic.

Now comes the retort of something about Purdue being pathetic from these guys. Gotta love internet trolls.
That’s because the Swanigan comparison is dumb, always has been dumb and you were trolled because of how dumb it was. This was purely about developing an outside shot for someone who never shot it outside. Not athleticism or anything else. It started by saying TJD should have developed an outside shot to help him go in the first round and was used as a slight on him. I said Edey should have done the same. Other PU fans disagreed and gave Edey a pass on the same development, even though it would have helped him.

So. Given it was purely about shooting the ball, Swanigan had always shot from outside, even in high school. TJD had not. So again, not a good comparison. I said a better comparison to asking TJD to shoot from deep would be to ask Edey to do the same thing. I don’t understand why you can’t comprehend this.

Again, this isn’t about who would get drafted higher, athleticism or their potential in the NBA. It was purely about just throwing out someone should have learned to shoot from deep is an idiotic comment to make.

ADVERTISEMENT