ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G Off-Season Thread***

Purdue fans bring up Caleb Swanigan.

I point out that Swanigan actually wasn’t a useful shooter in the NBA. 2 three point FGs in 75 games (11.8%) isn’t a useful shooter.

Purdue fans pretend to be disgusted Swanigan is being discussed rather than concede the point that sometimes developing into a useful NBA shooter is really difficult/not possible for some players.

It had something to do the mental health issues that led to his passing. I'll leave it at that as I'm more than a little disgusted that this is still a topic of conversation.
Well, to be fair here, Purdue fans brought Swanigan into the conversation. So maybe take it up with them....

Maybe if he would have put in more time on his game and shooting leading to more playing time it would have kept him from some of off the court stuff that led to his passing. I mean this respectfully...

Last edited:

I point out that Swanigan actually wasn’t a useful shooter in the NBA. 2 three point FGs in 75 games (11.8%) isn’t a useful shooter.

Purdue fans pretend to be disgusted Swanigan is being discussed rather than concede the point that sometimes developing into a useful NBA shooter is really difficult/not possible for some players.
This. They make it sound like, "oh hey, just learn to shoot the 3 when you've never shot it before in your career." Even their comparison of Swanigan to TJD isn't apples to apples. Swanigan shot the 3 ball in high school and AAU. TJD did not.

This. They make it sound like, "oh hey, just learn to shoot the 3 when you've never shot it before in your career." Even their comparison of Swanigan to TJD isn't apples to apples. Swanigan shot the 3 ball in high school and AAU. TJD did not.

I particularly like the idea that we can’t rebuttal any points made about someone who has passed away.

Reactions: texanhoosier1982
Have you totally missed the conversation? You must have if you're making this comment because I would expect you to know better.

We were talking about players that will/should get drafted and their ability to be a first round draft as well as 5* players that don't get drafted early. Not every Tom Dick and Harry on every roster.
"Purdue plsyers"= Those who should/could get drsfted. I would expect you to know better.

This had literally nothing to do with the original argument so I’m not sure why it’s even relevant. The point was that he developed his 3-point shot in college which was what got him drafted in the first round. The argument didn’t center around what he did once he was in the league. You created a straw man argument for some odd reason.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
This had literally nothing to do with the original argument so I’m not sure why it’s even relevant. The point was that he developed his 3-point shot in college which was what got him drafted in the first round. The argument didn’t center around what he did once he was in the league. You created a straw man argument for some odd reason.
Bringing Swanigan into our discussion was dumb to start. She shot threes in high school and to start his college career. He improved his percentage, sure, but it’s not comparable to TJD. TJD never shot threes and y’all are acting like he can just magically start doing it. His lack of outside shooting is more comparable to Edey, like I said from the start.

You can’t be this much of an idiot. The points are directly related.

Swanigan didn’t develop into a useful shooter in the NBA because it’s hard to do. TJD didn’t develop a shot good enough to be a first round pick because it’s hard to do.

Last edited:
Doesn’t seem like he developed an outside shot at all! Lol…
So you're moving the goal posts to fit your argument? We're talking about shooting in College to be drafted better, not what happens once you're drafted. I think shooting 45% from 3 in College is more than enough sign that he developed a shot.

That’s the best you can come up with for Purdue guys developing skillsets to remain on NBA rosters?

Why didn’t Swanigan develop a better shot than a 2 for 17 three point shooter?
You know damn well it's more than about skill set. I have the skill set, but would never sniff the NBA because I'm nowhere athletic enough. Athleticism is a very critical factor, hence why we say comparing Edey and TJD is nowhere near the same. You know this, I know this. Everyone that has any semblance of knowledge of the game knows this. Stop the bad faith arguments.

Like a 7'4", 310 center?;)
Yes, this is exactly the point I've been trying to make. TJD IS NBA caliber. Some people here either have mental faculty issues or are just determined to argue in bad faith so that they don't look wrong. In essence trolling.

"Purdue plsyers"= Those who should/could get drsfted. I would expect you to know better.
I've always considered you to be a more reasonable poster. Are you truly saying you don't understand the scope of the conversation here?

Bringing Swanigan into our discussion was dumb to start. She shot threes in high school and to start his college career. He improved his percentage, sure, but it’s not comparable to TJD. TJD never shot threes and y’all are acting like he can just magically start doing it. His lack of outside shooting is more comparable to Edey, like I said from the start.
If he shot 3's in high school, it couldn't have been much because the little amount of search I did found no stats on his high school 3 point shooting.

Since you seem to honestly not understand. I brought up Swanigan because:

-Both Swanigan and TJD were 5* recruits. Edey was ranked below 400
-Both Swanigan and TJD played the 5 as Edey, but they have/had ball handling skills Edey doesn't
-Both Swanigan and TJD are much more athletic than Edey. Something the NBA wants

The comparisons between TJD and Swanigan are much better than TJD to Edey. They are just totally different players with different skill sets and athletic leveles. I did agree that Edey would help his draft status if he developed an outside shot, but all things being equal, if Edey and TJD both shot 40% from 3 last year, TJD is definitely going first round and Edey would still be borderline.

Last edited:
Swanigan only made 2 threes in 75 games and 655 minutes.

Why didn’t he develop a more useful NBA shot?
We're talking about College development for the draft. Why are you moving the goalposts? If you want to be a troll then keep doing what you're doing. Will help me ignore you.

If he shot 3's in high school, it couldn't have been much because the little amount of search I did found no stats on his high school 3 point shooting.

Since you seem to honestly not understand. I brought up Swanigan because:

-Both Swanigan and TJD were 5* recruits. Edey was ranked below 400
-Both Swanigan and TJD played the 5 as Edey, but they have/had ball handling skills Edey doesn't
-Both Swanigan and TJD are much more athletic than Edey. Something the NBA wants

The comparisons between TJD and Swanigan are much better than TJD to Edey. They are just totally different players with different skill sets and athletic leveles. I did agree that Edey would help his draft status if he developed an outside shot, but all things being equal, if Edey and TJD both shot 40% from 3 last year, TJD is definitely going first round and Edey would still be borderline.

“I did agree that Edey would help his draft status if he developed an outside shot”

Ok so why hasn’t he? Lazy?

Reactions: texanhoosier1982
We're talking about College development for the draft. Why are you moving the goalposts? If you want to be a troll then keep doing what you're doing. Will help me ignore you.

😂

We are talking about how easy (or not easy) it is for players to develop NBA worthy shots.

Swanigan only made 2 threes in 75 games and 655 minutes in the NBA.

Why didn’t he develop a more useful NBA shot? It would’ve helped him stay on NBA rosters.

“I did agree that Edey would help his draft status if he developed an outside shot”

Ok so why hasn’t he? Lazy?
Maybe he has been. Maybe it's just not good enough yet for Painter to give him the green light. It's been suggested that he can actually shoot from 3 some. I don't know if that's true. What I do know is that the rumor was prevalent enough that almost the entire crowd would yell for him to shoot when he had the ball behind the 3 and we were up big.

😂

We are talking about how easy (or not easy) it is for players to develop NBA worthy shots.

Swanigan only made 2 threes in 75 games and 655 minutes in the NBA.

Why didn’t he develop a more useful NBA shot? It would’ve helped him stay on NBA rosters.
Nobody said anything about it being easy. You decided to add that part. You know that shooting a 3 in the NBA is way different than shooting a 3 in College, yet you continue to bring up this straw man argument.

Maybe he has been. Maybe it's just not good enough yet for Painter to give him the green light. It's been suggested that he can actually shoot from 3 some. I don't know if that's true. What I do know is that the rumor was prevalent enough that almost the entire crowd would yell for him to shoot when he had the ball behind the 3 and we were up big.

Maybe he should’ve shown that to NBA scouts

ADVERTISEMENT