ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G Off-Season Thread***

Dude. Why can't Edey develop a 3pt shot? Why is it different for him and not TJD? Lol. TJD never shot outside shots consistently in high school. It wasn't what he was known for coming out of high school. Edey isn't known for shooting outside shots. It's not what he's known for. Yet here you are, saying TJD isn't getting drafted in the first round because he didn't develop an outside shot all while saying Edey was never going in the first round because he's not expected to shoot an outside shot. Again, hilariously stupid.
Edey can develop a 3 point shot and it’ll be interesting to see if he takes some this year. But the big difference is Edey is 7-8 inches taller than TJD and would be one of the tallest guys in the NBA. I’d argue the issue isn’t necessarily that TJD doesn’t shoot 3’s but rather that he hasn’t developed a consistent jumper at all (even something like a 15 foot jumper). Guys TJD’s size who don’t have a legit jumper aren’t terribly common in the league (Kevon Looney and Robert Williams come to mind) so it’ll be interesting if he can add that to his game or not. TJD and Edey are much different players with a huge height difference that impacts things. Could Edey shoot jumpers? I hope we see some of that this year tbh. Edey didn’t go in the first round because the game doesn’t feature players like him anymore. 20-30 years ago he’s a lottery pick. If he can show a jumper and continue to improve his athleticism/stamina/etc, I could see him moving up to maybe an early second/late first round pick but without the jumper, he’ll still probably be a mid to late second round guy.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Why does Edey get a pass? Why isn't he held to the same standard from Purdue fans? If he could develop an consistent 3pt shot he would be a first round pick.
Because he’s 7’4 versus 6’8/6’9 lol. He’s almost automatic at the basket and taking 3’s would be a much lower percentage shot for someone like him. But I’m assuming some of the feedback he got was to expand his game a bit so I’m guessing we’ll see that. Look at a guy like Swanigan who was about the same height as TJD and was ranked similarly to TJD. he was exclusively a post player until he expanded his game. He shot 44% from 3 his sophomore year which was a key reason why he was a first round pick. If TJD had been able to showcase a jumper, he could’ve been a first rounder too IMO.

Edey can develop a 3 point shot and it’ll be interesting to see if he takes some this year. But the big difference is Edey is 7-8 inches taller than TJD and would be one of the tallest guys in the NBA. I’d argue the issue isn’t necessarily that TJD doesn’t shoot 3’s but rather that he hasn’t developed a consistent jumper at all (even something like a 15 foot jumper). Guys TJD’s size who don’t have a legit jumper aren’t terribly common in the league (Kevon Looney and Robert Williams come to mind) so it’ll be interesting if he can add that to his game or not. TJD and Edey are much different players with a huge height difference that impacts things. Could Edey shoot jumpers? I hope we see some of that this year tbh. Edey didn’t go in the first round because the game doesn’t feature players like him anymore. 20-30 years ago he’s a lottery pick. If he can show a jumper and continue to improve his athleticism/stamina/etc, I could see him moving up to maybe an early second/late first round pick but without the jumper, he’ll still probably be a mid to late second round guy.
Fine, he's taller. Cool. You say that Edey didn't go in the first round because the game doesn't feature players like him anymore. Why can't we say the exact same thing about TJD? LOL. They are both low post players. Always have been. Both would need to develop a jumper to be a first round pick. Both guys are likely to be second round picks given they don't have outside jumpers.

WHY IS THIS SO HARD? Jesus....

Because he’s 7’4 versus 6’8/6’9 lol. He’s almost automatic at the basket and taking 3’s would be a much lower percentage shot for someone like him. But I’m assuming some of the feedback he got was to expand his game a bit so I’m guessing we’ll see that. Look at a guy like Swanigan who was about the same height as TJD and was ranked similarly to TJD. he was exclusively a post player until he expanded his game. He shot 44% from 3 his sophomore year which was a key reason why he was a first round pick. If TJD had been able to showcase a jumper, he could’ve been a first rounder too IMO.
Homers gonna homer. It's just comical at this point.

Fine, he's taller. Cool. You say that Edey didn't go in the first round because the game doesn't feature players like him anymore. Why can't we say the exact same thing about TJD? LOL. They are both low post players. Always have been. Both would need to develop a jumper to be a first round pick. Both guys are likely to be second round picks given they don't have outside jumpers.

Because TJD and Edey’s games aren’t remotely similar? There are a ton of guys out there with similar measurements/athleticism as TJD. How many guys out there are like Edey?

Pretty rough couple weeks for Rutgers. Spencer and now Mulcahy in the portal.

Glad I won't have to watch more of Mulcahy's crap. Especially since he always played well against us.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
Because TJD and Edey’s games aren’t remotely similar? There are a ton of guys out there with similar measurements/athleticism as TJD. How many guys out there are like Edey?
They're not? They're both exclusively low post players. When did TJD become something other than a post player? One being taller than another is absolutely irrelevant. Both played deep in the post primarily.

So let's recap. TJD likely being drafted in the second round is because he didn't develop a jumper and is a lack of development from him and the program. Edey likely being drafted in the second round is just because he's so tall and because the game doesn't feature guys like him anymore. Do I have your position correct?

LOL....

• Haha
Reactions: boiler1987

Glad I won't have to watch more of Mulcahy's crap. Especially since he always played well against us.
I think there’s a better than decent chance he stays in the big ten

You will if he doesn't leave the B1G.

They're not? They're both exclusively low post players. When did TJD become something other than a post player? One being taller than another is absolutely irrelevant. Both played deep in the post primarily.

So let's recap. TJD likely being drafted in the second round is because he didn't develop a jumper and is a lack of development from him and the program. Edey likely being drafted in the second round is just because he's so tall and because the game doesn't feature guys like him anymore. Do I have your position correct?

LOL....
Not surprising @boiler1987 didn't respond....I wouldn't either if I were him....

Yes, it is not worth responding to an argument that Edey and TJD have similar games, especially with regard to their NBA role.
Sure. Then let's just all agree that it's a lack of development of an outside shot from both Edey and TJD that is keeping them from be drafted in the first round. Cool? Cool...

• Haha
Sure. Then let's just all agree that it's a lack of development on both Edey and TJD that is leading them to not be drafted in the first round. Cool? Cool...
I'm just commenting on you thinking they're similar players. Which is kind of hilariously dumb.

I'll take a TJD type player any day - a guy that has a weakness hurting his draft stock while still being a really impactful multi-year college player.

I'm just commenting on you thinking they're similar players. Which is kind of hilariously dumb.

I'll take a TJD type player any day - a guy that has a weakness hurting his draft stock while still being a really impactful multi-year college player.
If you can actually think critically, you can see what I meant by similar. They both played deep in the post, for the most part. This past season TJD did extend his game a bit by catching it a little further out and trying to take guys off the dribble a touch. I meant they both have no midrange game and no outside game. Both of those things are keeping them both from being drafted in the first round. It's not rocket science but you need to not be an idiot to actually understand what I meant by similar given the focus on outside shooting being a detriment to them being a first round pick...

• Haha
You replied to your own post asking why I didn’t respond? Yikes. Their games aren’t even remotely similar.
See my prior post...

Edey: Low post player without a midrange or outside shot
TJD: Low post player without a midrange or outside shot

Yes, they're soooooo different....

Wonder why Painter hasn't tried to develop Edey's outside shot. His development of an outside shot is keeping him from being a first round pick...

See my prior post...

Wonder why Painter hasn't tried to develop Edey's outside shot. His development of an outside shot is keeping him from being a first round pick...
Guessing you’re just trolling at this point because there’s no way you actually believe they’re similar players.

Who cares if Edey is not as athletic? YOU don't want to compare the two. They are both post players exclusively although TJD showed he can beat guys off the dribble some this past year. Both of them never shoot outside. Both of them never have been asked to shoot outside. Yet here you are, bending over backward to say that TJD didn't develop an outside shot and thats his fault for not going in the first round all while blowing Edey for likely being a second round pick without an outside shot.

Hilariously stupid. Be consistent. Or at least try...
I am being consistent. You aren't...

Why do Purdue fans care so much about whether or not TJD went pro?

IMG-4080.jpg
I don't care one bit. I was just pointing out the folly in his logic.

I've been trying to explain this to him but he seems to be locked on to Edey for some reason, and doesn't think TJD could have possibly developed a jumper.

You're 100% right. The NBA doesn't feature guys like TJD nor Swanigan anymore, UNLESS they can shoot from the outside.

LOL....
TJD has skills that Edey doesn't. So did Swanigan. They could handle the ball quite well and are quick. Edey is so big and not quick enough to be able to drive around someone to the basket like the other two could. Even if Edey developed a jumper, he's just not what the NBA looks for typically. He's too slow and his bread and butter is 5 ft from the basket. TJD is exactly what they would take and would have if he could shoot along with all of his other skills.

WTF is with you IU guys. I thought you were supposed to know the game of basketball. This is pretty basic shit that you can't seem to grasp.

Last edited:
If you can actually think critically, you can see what I meant by similar. They both played deep in the post, for the most part. This past season TJD did extend his game a bit by catching it a little further out and trying to take guys off the dribble a touch. I meant they both have no midrange game and no outside game. Both of those things are keeping them both from being drafted in the first round. It's not rocket science but you need to not be an idiot to actually understand what I meant by similar given the focus on outside shooting being a detriment to them being a first round pick...
And WHY does TJD play deep in the post? Because he can't shoot. IF TJD had a jump shot and a defender rushed out to close on him, TJD could then dribble to the hole. Something Edey cannot do. That's the major difference between the two and the reason TJD would have been in the NBA long ago if he could shoot.

See my prior post...

You do understand that two players can play the same position but have completely different skill sets and body compositions don't you? It's not like there's a cookie cutter out there making all low post players and if you're deemed a low post player, then you can't change who you are. At least this is how you are acting. Then you call others dumb for pointing that out to you.

I've been trying to explain this to him but he seems to be locked on to Edey for some reason, and doesn't think TJD could have possibly developed a jumper.
And you idiots think that only TJD could develop a jumper and are bending over backwards to deflect that Edey can’t shoot it either.

You Purdue idiots are the ones who brought up TJD’s lack of shooting as some slight on him not going in the first round. The literal exact same thing could be said for Edey. If he could bang threes in he would go in the first round. But he can’t.

Neither one of these guys ever shot it from deep. Expecting one to develop it and not the other is standard little brother shit. It’s been pure comedy reading this nonsense from you all.

You're 100% right. The NBA doesn't feature guys like TJD nor Swanigan anymore, UNLESS they can shoot from the outside.
So you’re saying they would take guys like Edey if he could shoot?

Answer me this…If Edey could develop a consistent 3pt shot, do you think that would increase his odds of getting into the first round?

You do understand that two players can play the same position but have completely different skill sets and body compositions don't you? It's not like there's a cookie cutter out there making all low post players and if you're deemed a low post player, then you can't change who you are. At least this is how you are acting. Then you call others dumb for pointing that out to you.
Wrong. I’m making fun of you Purdue tards for acting like TJD not developing a jumper or going to the NBA sooner as some slight and lack of development. It’s idiotic and very little brother. But I get it. Y’all don’t have guys in the NBA. Tough for you to understand much.

Why is a fanbase of a team with 1 player in the NBA using the NBA as any sort of barometer?
Yeah it’s real weird. They criticize other players for developing what would help his draft status but then bend over backwards to say their players don’t need to develop in the same vein to help his draft status. Can’t say I’m surprised by the homerism. I know you know…

• Haha
And you idiots think that only TJD could develop a jumper and are bending over backwards to deflect that Edey can’t shoot it either.
Ok, I've tried to be civil but you keep calling us idiots, while you literally keep ignoring the better example I've given time after time that is a more direct comparison to TJD. Swanigan. He wasn't a shooter in high school just like TJD. Had a more similar skillset as TJD than Edey. Yet he took the time and developed a jumper. Guess what? He was drafted first round. Why do you keep ignoring this? Why do you feel the need to only compare TJD to Edey. A player that is not in the same skillset or body type at all.
You Purdue idiots are the ones who brought up TJD’s lack of shooting as some slight on him not going in the first round. The literal exact same thing could be said for Edey. If he could bang threes in he would go in the first round. But he can’t.
I'm not slighting TJD. I'm just pointing out that he could have been drafted years earlier if he developed a jumper. He has the skill set that the NBA likes. He just needed to show he could shoot.
Neither one of these guys ever shot it from deep. Expecting one to develop it and not the other is standard little brother shit. It’s been pure comedy reading this nonsense from you all.
Again, neither had Swanigan. Stop ignoring what is right in front of your ****ing face!

I think you need to take a step back and consider that perhaps you're not being objective here. I would hope that you could come back to civility once you realize you're being ridiculous.

Last edited:
So you’re saying they would take guys like Edey if he could shoot?

Answer me this…If Edey could develop a consistent 3pt shot, do you think that would increase his odds of getting into the first round?
Yes they probably would take him, but Edey most likely would still not be drafted first round. It would increase his odds, of course, but he's not athletic like TJD. TJD would be first round, JUST LIKE SWANIGAN.

Yeah it’s real weird. They criticize other players for developing what would help his draft status but then bend over backwards to say their players don’t need to develop in the same vein to help his draft status. Can’t say I’m surprised by the homerism. I know you know…
Yes, because, in your mind, fans of a team that has only one player in the NBA can't possibly know anything about basketball. Solid logic...

Last edited:
This what happens when you don’t mind the door. Where the fck did these potatoes sprout from?

ADVERTISEMENT