ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G Off-Season Thread***

Top 60 recruit before injuring his knee as a junior, missing the entire AAU. season..Did not play until Feb, in his senior year---i Believe only playing 5 games.----Even then, was still nominated for the MCDAA Game.

He fell of the radar after his injury. Athletic freak...can score at the rim...jumper starting to develop. If he's 100%, IU got an absolute steal with this kid.
Isn't pretty much everyone nominated for the McD AA game? I think there were more than 400 nominees last year.

Isn't pretty much everyone nominated for the McD AA game? I think there were more than 400 nominees last year.
He only played 5 HS games last year.....

There were 722 nominees....For the record---there are over 500,000 HS basketball players. Of those, what----maybe 200,00 are seniors? Possiblty more? Not sure why you are trying to watered this down. If you are one of the 700+ nominated out of a pool of say 200,000 kids---I'd say youre in very select compnay.

Look, he was a Top 60 recruit....tore up his knee....missed an entire AAU season, and basically his entire HS season----still ended up #72 in Rivals. If you'd like I could say he's considedring transferring to Purdue, and then maybe you'll be ok with it?

Last edited:
Reactions: texanhoosier1982
He only played 5 HS games last year.....

There were 722 nominees....For the record---there are over 500,000 HS basketball players. Of those, what----maybe 200,00 are seniors? Possiblty more? Not sure why you are trying to watered this down. If you are one of the 700+ nominated out of a pool of say 200,000 kids---I'd say youre in very select compnay.

Look, he was a Top 60 recruit....tore up his knee....missed an entire AAU season, and basically his entire HS season----still ended up #72 in Rivals. If you'd like I could say he's considedring transferring to Purdue, and then maybe you'll be ok with it?
I have no idea how good he was. I just think the McD AA nomination process has really watered down that honor. I'd wager 80% of all B1G high school commits are nominated each year.

Man if IU is a 10-seed, JFC Woody shit the bead. I know we lost dudes----but damn.

XJ
Galloway
Mgbako(5*)
Reneau(5*)
Ware(5*)

CUpps is solid....Newton may have been a Top 10-20 kid if not for injuring his knee. Still a solid get. Gunn, Banks, Edwards and Sparks.

Solid starting 5----Yep there are questions for sure...But a 10-seed?
Don't think it's that far off. I'm thinking fringe top 25 team, maybe more in that top 30-35 range. The backcourt just worries me. Young guys will need to step up for them to get past that.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Don't think it's that far off. I'm thinking fringe top 25 team, maybe more in that top 30-35 range. The backcourt just worries me. Young guys will need to step up for them to get past that.
Yeah I still think they need to add another 2 guard that can be used as a secondary ballhandler/shooter. I like Trey but he’s far too spazzy to be relied upon. Also he’s not quick enough to guard athletic 2’s which leaves him prone to foul trouble.

Reactions: IUBtown
Yeah I still think they need to add another 2 guard that can be used as a secondary ballhandler/shooter. I like Trey but he’s far too spazzy to be relied upon. Also he’s not quick enough to guard athletic 2’s which leaves him prone to foul trouble.
Xj goes down again and they're in trouble without someone else who can consistently get their own shot. MM can help that but he's not going to be a ball handler, I like Galloway off the ball as a compliment but he had trouble bringing the ball against pressure.

Fringe Top 25 to 10 seed is a pretty big leap, brother.

B/C has some concerns...Hoping Newton/Cupps/Gunn can contribute. CUpps can shoot it for sure---and probably more of a back-up to X. Newton is an athletic freak. Gunn to me is the "X" factor here. If he can find his way, we get pretty good, pretty quickly.

I have no idea how good he was. I just think the McD AA nomination process has really watered down that honor. I'd wager 80% of all B1G high school commits are nominated each year.
700 nominations out of lets say, 100, 000 seniors....Bro, c'mon now.

Fringe Top 25 to 10 seed is a pretty big leap, brother.

B/C has some concerns...Hoping Newton/Cupps/Gunn can contribute. CUpps can shoot it for sure---and probably more of a back-up to X. Newton is an athletic freak. Gunn to me is the "X" factor here. If he can find his way, we get pretty good, pretty quickly.
I think any seed from 7-10 can change from just a few games or even a conference tournament. I won't get too wrapped up in it. The roster has talent but it's also flawed.

I’m curious how many IU fans thought TJD would stay 4 years when he signed with them? I’m guessing very few and I’d imagine most would guess he’d be there maybe 2 years. Now NIL played a big part in him coming back for his senior year but even if NIL wasn’t a thing he was a mid to late second round pick at best?
I think two years was what people thought. How is TJD going in the second round any different than Edey going in the second round? Where they were ranked coming out of high school? Lol...Just because they are a five star doesn't mean they're a one and done. Just because he didn't go to the draft sooner or doesn't go in the first round doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean he didn't develop. Yet here you PU fans are putting a negative spin on him staying four years. It's hilarious to be honest. Just your standard PU fan obsession...

Barttorvik has IU projected for 28th right now so around a 7/8 seed. That more in line with what you would be guessing? I think they’ll be a talented team on paper but will need to figure out their functionality as a team as the season goes on, especially on offense.
I think 20-30 would be fair to start the season. Woodson said the offense will be changing this season to go back to what he is used to/comfortable with now that TJD is gone. I'm interested to see how it works out with the roster we have. I have no clue where we'll end up next year but I do know we have the talent. Question is can they all play together? Time will tell.

I think two years was what people thought. How is TJD going in the second round any different than Edey going in the second round? Where they were ranked coming out of high school? Lol...Just because they are a five star doesn't mean they're a one and done. Just because he didn't go to the draft sooner or doesn't go in the first round doesn't mean anything. It doesn't mean he didn't develop. Yet here you PU fans are putting a negative spin on him staying four years. It's hilarious to be honest. Just your standard PU fan obsession...
Help me understand. You were asking how TJD going second round is different than Edey going second round? Then you mentioned star ratings. I don't understand what you were saying the comparison here is. TJD was a 5 star and expected to leave early as most do but didn't. Edey was ranked in the 400's. Not even a comparison. Unless I missed something.

Help me understand. You were asking how TJD going second round is different than Edey going second round? Then you mentioned star ratings. I don't understand what you were saying the comparison here is. TJD was a 5 star and expected to leave early as most do but didn't. Edey was ranked in the 400's. Not even a comparison. Unless I missed something.
This. Not exactly sure what argument he’s trying to make there.

Not sure exactly what you’re trying to argue here. TJD developed but how much is the real question? Edey’s development has been much better overall than TJD IMO and I think it speaks to how well Purdue can not only find talent but also develop it. I think it means something that he didn’t go sooner/in the first round but to each their own. If I’m Mike Woodson and I’m recruiting, I’m using someone like JHS as an example of development over TJD. There’s a big difference between a 5-star being one and done versus staying 4 years. It’d be interesting to look at the number of 5* guys over the last 10 years that stayed 4 years tbh.

It’s not just Purdue fans putting a negative spin on him staying four years. Plenty of non-Purdue fans have commented on him staying four years but obviously more Purdue fans commented on it due to the rivalry which isn’t shocking.

The whole such and such player didn't go sooner isn't a simple one. 5* doesn't = get drafted early in all cases. There's plenty of extremely successful college players that don't fit the NBA mold. There's plenty of not very successful college players that thrive in the NBA.

Not sure exactly what you’re trying to argue here. TJD developed but how much is the real question? Edey’s development has been much better overall than TJD IMO and I think it speaks to how well Purdue can not only find talent but also develop it. I think it means something that he didn’t go sooner/in the first round but to each their own. If I’m Mike Woodson and I’m recruiting, I’m using someone like JHS as an example of development over TJD. There’s a big difference between a 5-star being one and done versus staying 4 years. It’d be interesting to look at the number of 5* guys over the last 10 years that stayed 4 years tbh.

It’s not just Purdue fans putting a negative spin on him staying four years. Plenty of non-Purdue fans have commented on him staying four years but obviously more Purdue fans commented on it due to the rivalry which isn’t shocking.
Edeys development has more to do with his late start playing basketball. Not to say painter/Purdue didn't have anything to do with him developing but his rawness and, yes I'll say it, height/size has just as much to do with his development.

It's simply a Purdue fan trying to use it as some sort of slight. Almost all of his stats went up with Woodson. NIL also can be partly to blame. It just reeks of homeboard poster material.

I'm arguing that Edey was the player of the year and still would be drafted in the second round. TJD is likely to be late first round or more likely a second round pick. I mentioned star rankings because that's all some posters are focused on. Just because they are 5* recruits doesn't immediately mean they are going to be one and done. I think there is a good chunk each year of the Top 25 recruits that DON'T leave after the first year. Being a 5* recruit is in relation to all other players THAT YEAR. It's not based on who's likely to go pro after their first year of college. So TJD coming back after his for his second year wasn't surprising. Then NIL came into play and given he would have been a second rounder largely because of the type of player he is, impacted his decision as well. Similarly to Edey going back to Purdue. He's not going to be a first round pick. He's going to be second rounder unless he starts hitting threes on a regular basis, which I still don't think would put him in the first round.

I'm arguing it's dumb as shit to say that just because someone was a 5* and didn't leave after a year or two is some sort of slight on their development, the program they were at or the coaching. But Purdue fans gonna Purdue fan....

As others have pointed out, Edey's development is more to do with him starting basketball later than a lot of other players. Edey has developed. So has TJD. I think their style of play and NIL has more to do with them staying in school longer than development. And clearly TJD and his development is helping recruiting. JHS is helping as well, but it's not an either or thing. Both developed. Both will be drafted (should be). Plenty of 5* players don't get drafted after one year. I don't think it says anything given TJD's contributions. Now Lander on the other hand, is a good example of a disappointing player development, coaching, etc.

So while you're all hung up on him staying four years, I don't think many people actually are. And let me tell you that I'm SHOCKED you think it means something he didn't go into the draft sooner. Lol. This is very on brand with you and other Purdue posters. LOL...

As others have pointed out, Edey's development is more to do with him starting basketball later than a lot of other players. Edey has developed. So has TJD. I think their style of play and NIL has more to do with them staying in school longer than development. And clearly TJD and his development is helping recruiting. JHS is helping as well, but it's not an either or thing. Both developed. Both will be drafted (should be). Plenty of 5* players don't get drafted after one year. I don't think it says anything given TJD's contributions. Now Lander on the other hand, is a good example of a disappointing player development, coaching, etc.

So while you're all hung up on him staying four years, I don't think many people actually are. And let me tell you that I'm SHOCKED you think it means something he didn't go into the draft sooner. Lol. This is very on brand with you and other Purdue posters. LOL...

You don’t think many people actually are surprised he stayed four years? Not sure if that’s true tbh. You said earlier (and I agreed) that many people thought he’d stay two years so I’d say most people are probably surprised he was in college for 4 years. I think it’s nothing more than some rivalry banter back and forth. Is TJD a really good player? Absolutely. Are a lot of people surprised he didn’t leave for the NBA sooner? I’d imagine so. It is what it is.

Thoughts on updated 247 rankings?

For the IU folks, I thought you were going after Raleigh Burgess pretty aggressively (thought he visited a lot) but maybe backed off after the leg injury?

Notable B1G commitments:

2. Bailey- Rutgers
14. Catchings- Purdue
39. Mobley- OSU
46. Johnson- Illinois
48. Teng- MSU
91- Koch- Iowa
97- Freitag- Wisconsin
101- Janowski- Nebraska
106- McCulloch- MSU
114- Robison- Wisconsin
116- Sommerville- Rutgers
133- Anderson- Michigan
134- Burgess- Purdue
142- Brooks- Michigan
143- Asuma- Minnesota

It's simply a Purdue fan trying to use it as some sort of slight. Almost all of his stats went up with Woodson. NIL also can be partly to blame. It just reeks of homeboard poster material.

It’s the off-season, what’d you’d expect?

For the IU folks, I thought you were going after Raleigh Burgess pretty aggressively (thought he visited a lot) but maybe backed off after the leg injury?

Notable B1G commitments:

2. Bailey- Rutgers
14. Catchings- Purdue
39. Mobley- OSU
46. Johnson- Illinois
48. Teng- MSU
91- Koch- Iowa
97- Freitag- Wisconsin
101- Janowski- Nebraska
106- McCulloch- MSU
114- Robison- Wisconsin
133- Anderson- Michigan
134- Burgess- Purdue
142- Brooks- Michigan
143- Asuma- Minnesota
Holy shit. We’ve got two in the top 150? Woohoo. Best class ever.

Reactions: boiler1987
I'm arguing that Edey was the player of the year and still would be drafted in the second round. TJD is likely to be late first round or more likely a second round pick. I mentioned star rankings because that's all some posters are focused on. Just because they are 5* recruits doesn't immediately mean they are going to be one and done. I think there is a good chunk each year of the Top 25 recruits that DON'T leave after the first year. Being a 5* recruit is in relation to all other players THAT YEAR. It's not based on who's likely to go pro after their first year of college. So TJD coming back after his for his second year wasn't surprising. Then NIL came into play and given he would have been a second rounder largely because of the type of player he is, impacted his decision as well. Similarly to Edey going back to Purdue. He's not going to be a first round pick. He's going to be second rounder unless he starts hitting threes on a regular basis, which I still don't think would put him in the first round.
Well I'd never expect Edey to be a first round pick anyway. Even if he's hitting 3's, he's not the prototypical NBA player.

TJD has the body and the athleticism. He just never showed he could hit an outside shot. That to me is the biggest reason TJD wasn't going to the NBA before he graduated.
I'm arguing it's dumb as shit to say that just because someone was a 5* and didn't leave after a year or two is some sort of slight on their development, the program they were at or the coaching. But Purdue fans gonna Purdue fan....
This part is unnecessary. There are PLENTY of dumb IU fans as well but not all of them. Your statement is too blanketed to be taken seriously.

A decent comparison would be Swanigan. He stayed until his 3rd year, but left because he developed his outside shot. TJD just never did. That's why he stayed so long. No other major reason.

Last edited:

Notable B1G commitments:

2. Bailey- Rutgers
14. Catchings- Purdue
39. Mobley- OSU
46. Johnson- Illinois
48. Teng- MSU
91- Koch- Iowa
97- Freitag- Wisconsin
101- Janowski- Nebraska
106- McCulloch- MSU
114- Robison- Wisconsin
133- Anderson- Michigan
134- Burgess- Purdue
142- Brooks- Michigan
143- Asuma- Minnesota
Rutgers was able to get the #2 ranked player? Wow. Good for them.

You don’t think many people actually are surprised he stayed four years? Not sure if that’s true tbh. You said earlier (and I agreed) that many people thought he’d stay two years so I’d say most people are probably surprised he was in college for 4 years. I think it’s nothing more than some rivalry banter back and forth. Is TJD a really good player? Absolutely. Are a lot of people surprised he didn’t leave for the NBA sooner? I’d imagine so. It is what it is.
I think people wouldn't have expected him to stay four years, but I do not think people assume him staying four years is because he didn't develop which is essentially what you and other Purdue fans were eluding to.

A decent comparison would be Swanigan. He stayed until his 3rd year, but left because he developed his outside shot. TJD just never did. That's why he stayed so long. No other major reason.
Nope. He stayed longer because he was always going to be a second round pick given the type of player he is. Same with Edey. Edey likely isn't going in the first round, either given the type of player he is. The emergence of the NIL along with him likely not going to be a first round draft pick is what had him stay four years.

Nope. He stayed longer because he was always going to be a second round pick given the type of player he is. Same with Edey. Edey likely isn't going in the first round, either given the type of player he is. The emergence of the NIL along with him likely not going to be a first round draft pick is what had him stay four years.
Dude. He's the type of player Swanigan was. The only difference was that Swanigan developed an outside shot. I don't understand how you don't see that.

Well I'd never expect Edey to be a first round pick anyway. Even if he's hitting 3's, he's not the prototypical NBA player.

TJD has the body and the athleticism. He just never showed he could hit an outside shot. That to me is the biggest reason TJD wasn't going to the NBA before he graduated.

This part is unnecessary. There are PLENTY of dumb IU fans as well but not all of them. Your statement is too blanketed to be taken seriously.
Again, nope. TJD has never been an outside player. Expecting him to all of a sudden to start shooting a good percentage at the 3pt line is hilariously dumb. When he was a 5* coming out of high school it wasn't because he was a big who could play outside. It was because he was a dominant post player. Full stop.

Y'all are hilarious.

Dude. He's the type of player Swanigan was. The only difference was that Swanigan developed an outside shot. I don't understand how you don't see that.
Dude. Why can't Edey develop a 3pt shot? Why is it different for him and not TJD? Lol. TJD never shot outside shots consistently in high school. It wasn't what he was known for coming out of high school. Edey isn't known for shooting outside shots. It's not what he's known for. Yet here you are, saying TJD isn't getting drafted in the first round because he didn't develop an outside shot all while saying Edey was never going in the first round because he's not expected to shoot an outside shot. Again, hilariously stupid.

Again, nope. TJD has never been an outside player. Expecting him to all of a sudden to start shooting a good percentage at the 3pt line is hilariously dumb. When he was a 5* coming out of high school it wasn't because he was a big who could play outside. It was because he was a dominant post player. Full stop.

Y'all are hilarious.
Neither was Swanigan... I don't understand how this is so hard for you to comprehend.

Dude. Why can't Edey develop a 3pt shot? Why is it different for him and not TJD? Lol. TJD never shot outside shots consistently in high school. It wasn't what he was known for coming out of high school. Edey isn't known for shooting outside shots. It's not what he's known for. Yet here you are, saying TJD isn't getting drafted in the first round because he didn't develop an outside shot all while saying Edey was never going in the first round because he's not expected to shoot an outside shot. Again, hilariousy stupid.
I didn't say Edey couldn't, but he's not as athletic as Swanigan and TJD are/were. Bigs to make it in the NBA typically have to show they can shoot as well as being athletic. Edey is a totally different make of player than the other two. Bringing him into it isn't comparing like for like. You can sit here and say it's hilariously stupid, but you're being hilariously short sighted here.

I didn't say Edey couldn't, but he's not as athletic as Swanigan and TJD are/were. Bigs to make it in the NBA typically have to show they can shoot as well as being athletic. Edey is a totally different make of player than the other two. Bringing him into it isn't comparing like for like. You can sit here and say it's hilariously stupid, but you're being hilariously short sighted here.
Who cares if Edey is not as athletic? YOU don't want to compare the two. They are both post players exclusively although TJD showed he can beat guys off the dribble some this past year. Both of them never shoot outside. Both of them never have been asked to shoot outside. Yet here you are, bending over backward to say that TJD didn't develop an outside shot and thats his fault for not going in the first round all while blowing Edey for likely being a second round pick without an outside shot.

Hilariously stupid. Be consistent. Or at least try...

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
Why do Purdue fans care so much about whether or not TJD went pro?

IMG-4080.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT