ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, talent-wise & not necessarily production-wise. Brandon Newman’s season alone is one of the more disappointing season’s in quite some time for an individual IMO.
Is talent without production really talent?

Is talent without production really talent?
Well, sure. Jaden Ivey is just as talented in the St. Peter’s game as he was in the Texas game. His talent level didn’t change but production surely did. Brandon Newman is undeniably talented, it was a rough season for him.

Reactions: Chicubsfan24
Well, sure. Jaden Ivey is just as talented in the St. Peter’s game as he was in the Texas game. His talent level didn’t change but production surely did. Brandon Newman is undeniably talented, it was a rough season for him.
In an individual game…of course. But over the course of a season, I think it can be questioned.

In an individual game…of course. But over the course of a season, I think it can be questioned.
Well he started in 23 of 28 games as a freshman and scored in double digits in 12 of those games including a game with 29 points in which he made 5 three’s all while displaying above average athleticism. So hitting threes at a 38% clip with a smooth stroke as a 6’5 freshman guard with good athleticism and a good prospect coming out of high school?

I think it’s fair to say he’s talented.

1 turnover versus us having 9 in the first half. Crazy what happens when you don’t turn it over.
Just so inexcusable and pathetic but somehow not surprising. EDIT: phone formatting was majorly screwed up for a sec lol

Well he started in 23 of 28 games as a freshman and scored in double digits in 12 of those games including a game with 29 points in which he made 5 three’s all while displaying above average athleticism. So hitting threes at a 38% clip with a smooth stroke as a 6’5 freshman guard with good athleticism and a good prospect coming out of high school?

I think it’s fair to say he’s talented.
He has a skill. He has a smooth stroke from three. He’s proven in 2 years that he’s below average as a dribbler, below average as a passer and lacks awareness on defense. Those are all components of talent as well and why he played very little the last 2 months.

If any of you are watching the UNC-St. Peter's game, that last bucket by Bacot is an encapsulation of the Big Ten's problem.

In conference play, yeah one of our guys might finish that shot through two guys......but they'd be hacked to sh** in the process, often NOT resulting in a foul to go with it.

Come tournament time, you get the same situation and the player is expecting contact because that's all they get in the Big Ten, so they tense up bracing for contact, but there is none.....but they've already altered their shot to adjust for contact and it throws them off just enough that they don't finish some of those shots they were at the rim during the regular season.

The offenses in this league obviously need to improve along with the guard play, but you all also need to abandon this hack-a-thon hip ride and hand check pass blocking defense that a lot of our conference programs have deemed necessary to make these deep tournament runs that they're........not making.

He has a skill. He has a smooth stroke from three. He’s proven in 2 years that he’s below average as a dribbler, below average as a passer and lacks awareness on defense. Those are all components of talent as well and why he played very little the last 2 months.
I agree his passing and ball handling is inconsistent. Not really sure he’s a worse defender than what we were throwing out there though. Ivey and Sasha weren’t exactly prime displays of “awareness on defense” this season. I’m not advocating that Painter should have played him 20 mpg, because I thought Newman played himself out of the rotation.

But to act like he isn’t talented is blatantly false. It’s why his season was so disappointing but Purdue will need him in a big way next year.

Borden, what’s with four IU guys transferring out already ? Does that mean TJD is coming back

Is skill without production really skill?

• Haha
Reactions: 1016CC0503
So far, no transfers yet for MD , still could be some.

Reese and redshirt freshmen Ike Cornish are the only two locks for next year though it seems at this point .

Frazier and Williams did it last year. The staff encouraged it because they didn’t want anyone regretting it if they didn’t go through it and ended up moving on.
I can understand that. But kofi is a junior, no?

I can understand that. But kofi is a junior, no?
Yes. Staff didn’t want him to regret it if he ended up going pro after this year and wanted to make sure he got his moment with the fans. While seemingly laughable now, a deep tournament run led by Kofi could have changed his outlook on college and made him want to make the leap to the pros.

I am more sure that Kofi is coming back this year than I was last year. And I was pretty damn sure last l year.

Home board is arguing about Frankie Collins and needing a PG transfer. If Dickinson/Diabate leave I’d put PG 3rd on my transfer priority meaning I wouldn’t take one.

Reactions: cmore79
This team’s bench didn’t turn out to be great. The 5 obviously was and Furst had moments but IT was a liability and Morton was a decent role player Who had a few very good games but was a non-factor much of the season.
Furst was good for about the first 10 games, but he's a true freshman who has been playing all season on a bum foot, so expecting him to be a consistent threat is unrealistic. IT regressed and has underwhelmed this year.

Morton did a lot more than Sasha did in the NCAAT. Sasha hit a few in the st Pete game, but he also played like crap defensively and gave up an awful 3 point foul on Edert giving them an eventual 3 point lead for the win. Need more from your seniors.

I agree his passing and ball handling is inconsistent. Not really sure he’s a worse defender than what we were throwing out there though. Ivey and Sasha weren’t exactly prime displays of “awareness on defense” this season. I’m not advocating that Painter should have played him 20 mpg, because I thought Newman played himself out of the rotation.

But to act like he isn’t talented is blatantly false. It’s why his season was so disappointing but Purdue will need him in a big way next year.
I think he has great potential. But I just don't consider unfulfilled potential to be talent at the level you seem to be suggesting.

DC52-BCD3-69-DA-4666-80-D3-F0122220-B6-D8.jpg

Brandon Johns has skill. Dude averaged 9 and 4 as starter coming into this year. It’s almost unfathomable how bad he was this year as opposed to being a decent 5th starter or 6th man.

Reactions: ConqueringHero
DC52-BCD3-69-DA-4666-80-D3-F0122220-B6-D8.jpg

Brandon Johns has skill. Dude averaged 9 and 4 as starter coming into this year. It’s almost unfathomable how bad he was this year as opposed to being a decent 5th starter or 6th man.

I remember being really bummed we didn’t land him out of high school. His career def didn’t pan out the way I thought it would.

I remember being really bummed we didn’t land him out of high school. His career def didn’t pan out the way I thought it would.

As a junior in the tournament:
4 games
13 of 26 from the floor
40 points
13 rebounds
5 steals
4 blocks

As a senior in the tournament:
37 mins played. 0-6 from the field and 0-2 from the stripe. 3 boards and 2 assists.

It’s actually pretty triggering. How does someone regress that much. F you Brandon Johns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT