ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
On one hand no one leaving upsets me but on the other hand Woody has 7 slots to fill once Ware goes and I weep for what next year looks like in Bloomington.

On one hand no one leaving upsets me but on the other hand Woody has 7 slots to fill once Ware goes and I weep for what next year looks like in Bloomington.
What is everyone's gut on Ware, Mbako and Reneau?

I just checked 3 big boards and Ware was between 27-32 in all of them. I thought he was projected higher than that considering he showed a ton of improvement and obviously has crazy talent and assumed he was definitely gone. But that rating is far from a foregone conclusion in terms of his future.

This is like the third time I’ve been hit with this in this thread I lurk in over the past couple of years lol.

As far as the three bigs I’d say Ware is gone, Mgbako and Malik are 50/50, so maybe we keep one of those three?
Mgbako might have a draft decision. But if he doesn’t, I could see IU throwing a good chunk of change at him and Malik.

Retain them, put them at the 4 and 5, then focus on getting a good PG and like a 6’7 wing that can shoot and you guys might look pretty skilled pretty quickly. I think Mgbako would make a massive jump from year 1 to 2 if he stays, and Reneau is obviously good.

This is like the third time I’ve been hit with this in this thread I lurk in over the past couple of years lol.

As far as the three bigs I’d say Ware is gone, Mgbako and Malik are 50/50, so maybe we keep one of those three?
Just giving you shit dude all good.

Mgbako might have a draft decision. But if he doesn’t, I could see IU throwing a good chunk of change at him and Malik.

Retain them, put them at the 4 and 5, then focus on getting a good PG and like a 6’7 wing that can shoot and you guys might look pretty skilled pretty quickly. I think Mgbako would make a massive jump from year 1 to 2 if he stays, and Reneau is obviously good.

Mgbako at the 4 and Malik at the 5 with Trey and two good portal guards could be pretty viable but then my fear becomes depth. I just don’t see how this is at all a tourney team next year and how it isn’t apocalyptic with fans in Bloomington by Feb 1.

Mgbako at the 4 and Malik at the 5 with Trey and two good portal guards could be pretty viable but then my fear becomes depth. I just don’t see how this is at all a tourney team next year and how it isn’t apocalyptic with fans in Bloomington by Feb 1.
Beyond the short term, it’s probably best for the program if Woodson is gone, so not making the tourney may be a good thing.*

*Assuming IU makes a good hire for once

I don’t know why he’s the coach now besides the obvious cronyism. He’s cooked unless he pulls an absolute miracle.

Reactions: VulvHa
I do think that Galloway is a nice Big Ten player (but as a complementary guy, not a featured piece), Mgbako could be a stud, and Reneau could as well...but they need skilled pieces around them. A guy like Mason Gillis at the 4 would be helpful, but you'd still need a PG as well, and depth, like you said.

Still feels like a push just for a lame duck year. But it is what it is.

He’s a POS that 98% of illini fans hate. Hes been a member of several boards and it always ends poorly for him. I outed him at the board that I currently use the most and he was kicked off of it after that. He’s since started his own board but I’m not sure if it’s still going or not.

Illinois athletic department refuses to give him media access and many coaches at Illinois tell their players to not talk to him. I have zero respect for that dope.

Edit: He is 100% not a reporter. He is a fan who contacts recruits and has a Twitter account.
Yep, he’s widely disliked though some Illinois fans apparently don’t care about his past.

Can one of you Boilies come get @Boilermaker03 from the IU home site? He seems to be lost.

He isn't convincing anyone to bow down to PU and in fact is hurting your cause.

Dude is freaking annoying.

I agree with most of this, but I think Smith is more athletic than you're giving him credit for. I think what he struggled with last year was making good decisions. He left his feet a lot to make a pass and would too often turn the ball over.

St Pete was two years ago. Ivey was more than athletic enough to play with them. He just had his worst game of his carrer vs them.

Last year vs Fairley Dickinson, we just couldn't hit a wide open shot.
Hard to keep track of all those DD seed loses... SmokinSmile

Ware and Mgbako are doing a kids camp in April in Btown. Last chance to cash in?

I expect Ware to declare and both Mbako and MR to decide over a pile of cash. Rabby is reporting that IU has made it known that they are paying above market for needed skillsets.

I hate the new world.

Honest question: if he does get convicted, how will you react? Would you wish Underwood hadn’t played him? Would be a pretty bad look for the university.
I will be disappointed that one of my favorite Illini ended up guilty of an act like that, but I don’t think there’s anyone with a thorough understanding of the ruling that thinks Underwood should be doing anything differently.

I will be disappointed that one of my favorite Illini ended up guilty of an act like that, but I don’t think there’s anyone with a thorough understanding of the ruling that thinks Underwood should be doing anything differently.
So you think other B1G coaches (or coaches in general) would’ve played their guy instead of sitting him? Not sure I believe that tbh. If the same situation happened at Purdue, I feel confident that guy wouldn’t have played the rest of the year.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Sure, I'd say it's typically one of the better teams but not the best team. There are always a lot of good teams with few losses. Interestingly, UConn's last 3 titles they had a minimum of 8 losses each time.

Here are the times where I would say, probably not the best team, heck probably not one of the top teams won it all.

2023 UConn 31-8
2017 North Carolina 33-7
2014 UConn 32-8
2011 UConn 32-9
2000 Michigan St 32-7
1997 Arizona 25-9
1989 Michigan 30-7
1988 Kansas 27-11
1986 Louisville 32-7
1985 Villanova 25-10
1983 North Carolina State 26-10
1981 Indiana 26-9

Now I didn't look to see what the records of each team were each of those years, but once you start to get to 7 losses IMO you're likely in the 5th-10th range.
Bruh, there are a lot of good teams in there---You cant just say, "such and such had X amount of losses, and therefore disqualkified…

83 NCSU, 85 Nova and 88 KU--- will concede. BUT....Look at 1985 Villanova. How bad were they, really?

Of their 10 losses----5 of those came to #1 and #2 GTown and St. Johns. By a combined 26 points. MOF, only the BET quarterfinal vs SJU, was decided by more than 7 points. Another loss was to #9 Syracuse; who they also beat. SO I mean 6 of their 10 losses were to Top 10 teams. Finished 4th in the BE----behind #3 SJU, #1 Gtown and #8 Syracuse. Were they one of the Top teams? No. But not my point. Point is, you cant look at number of losses...

1989 Michigan(30-7)---They were ranked Top 5 or so the entire year. Four of their losses were to Illinois and Indiana----Illinois was Top 5-----IU top 10. Michigan was a really good team. Bad example.

1986 Louisville(32-7)----Only one of their losses came via a non-ranked opponent(NC State). They had good wins over Top 15 Indiana, swept a very good, Top 20 team in VaTech, Beat #4 Syracuse...Split with #6 Memhis State. Again, this was a very good basketball team.

1981 Indiana(26-9)---One of the weirdest title seasons ever. But then again, cannot just look at the "L's". Lost to #1 UK, 68-66 and #9 Notre Dame, 69-64, early in the year. Lost @ #6 UNC, 75-68. Then the absolute head scratchers----Clemson and Texas Rio-Grande.. Lost @ #9 Michigan in OT.. @ #9 Iowa by 5.

Then lost at Purdue, then to Iowa; Iowa game would be the last time they would lose. By the end, IU was playing as good as anyone....And dogwalked everyone in the NCAAT; closet game was vs UNC in the title game; 63-50.

Cant judge by loses....

I would nto argue anyone above that I mentioned would have been considered a "title favorite, or contender, sans 1986/89 Louisville. Both those teams were pretty damn good.

It doesn't matter who IU brings in....Woodson is straight trash.

Honest question: if he does get convicted, how will you react? Would you wish Underwood hadn’t played him? Would be a pretty bad look for the university.
I think Shannon is a tremendous player and I think his jersey should be hung in the rafters. If he gets convicted of rape then that all goes away and he will be remembered as a blight.

I will never blame Underwood for playing him as the injunction was quite clear in its wording that if we treat him any differently because of the charges then the university would face massive lawsuits from Shannon.

My question to you…what are your feelings if the charges get dropped? Will you feel bad that he’s had to go through all of this crap because of a girl and her friends enjoy trying to get KU players into binds so that they can get paid? KU knows all about this girl and her friend…possibly why she targeted Shannon this time, a non Jayhawks player.

Shannon has been stripped of national recognition and it’s quite possible that none of it is his fault. If it is his fault…throw his ass in jail.

Reactions: all4theillini
So you think other B1G coaches (or coaches in general) would’ve played their guy instead of sitting him? Not sure I believe that tbh. If the same situation happened at Purdue, I feel confident that guy wouldn’t have played the rest of the year.
Please stop with the Boilermaker holier-than-thou attitude.

The school is not a fvcking Seminary.

Maybe before NIL. But when a judge says him not playing is costing him $$$----I mean......Illinois . by not playing him, could have set themelves for a HUGE lawsuit. I mean the school was court ordered to play him. They made the decision to suspend him----ANd he took them to court.

Not sure hos this falls into Illinois choosing anything other than to suspend him....but then decided it was best to abide by a courts order.

Could be rough, could be fun to watch the freshmen improve. Very unlikely doing better than an NIT run
God damn am I a sports posting genius or what. NIT games are so much easier on the nerves to watch. I might have had my first drink in 4 years if Iowa made the tourney, won their first game and had a finish like against Tennessee a few years back where we rallied to force OT and came up just short of sweet sixteen. Now no booze and no bad vibes lingering for next candlyflip sesh.

All 3 could come back or atleast should. Ware would disappear at times, more physical teams gave him fits. Mgbako got better but feel he can improve his stock quite a bit. Not sure why Reneau would leave or where he'd go. I'd go 25%,50%,75% on coming back.

Iowa can't stand for our basketball attendance. We use to kill it.

Now it's the Iowa women, wrestling, and football that sellout. Basketball costing us money will not stand. It can't financially and I am ok with Fran.

But money talks

Ok....We shall see. Its no secret he and Woodson haven't seen "eye to eye" in the past month, or so. They had their little rift, and then weel later, LM----Renau's friend, same HS----then decommits. Why?

Kids wanna win also, bruh.

Sparks, Gunn, Banks are just the start.

Ok....We shall see. Its no secret he and Woodson haven't seen "eye to eye" in the past month, or so. They had their little rift, and then weel later, LM----Renau's friend, same HS----then decommits. Why?

Kids wanna win also, bruh.

Sparks, Gunn, Banks are just the start.

They would have been advised by the university’s legal departments that they could not alter the way they played him because of the charges. That was the federal ruling. There’s not a coach in the country that would be able to lawfully bench him.

We’ve been down this road. If you want, I’ll pull up the post from a federal law professor laying it out.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT