ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the committee showed they gave zero f***s about the conference tournaments outside of very begrudgingly having to scrap some of their early drafts because of upsets.

They also showed that you can game the NET by blowing out weak opponents like the Big 12 and SEC did, but it will hurt you come time for the tournament selection.
It's why Houston was the #2 overall. Their OOC was horrid. Dayton was their toughest OOC opponent.
Meaning they care more about weak non-conference schedules in November and December than how you're playing and who you beat at the end of the season/in the conference tournament.

Classic.
I find it funny how supposedly Iowa St was slighted because of their weak Non con yet Houston isn't dinged at all and Purdue isn't rewarded at all for playing the toughest Non con out of any of the top teams.

How so?

Gonzaga was supposed be to be a 6 seed, and Kansas is massively injured.
Tennessee was supposed to be a 1 until they lost. They are the best 2 seed
Creighton is the 2nd best 3 seed IMO
McNeese St is one of the best lower seeded teams. They will beat Gonzaga IMO.
Utah St is under seeded IMO. The Mountain West is good at the top. I think they play us tough.

Yes, I agree with you about Gonzaga and Kansas, but there are other teams that are of concern. I think UConn has the easiest bracket.

Utah St is under seeded IMO. The Mountain West is good at the top. I think they play us tough.

Yes, I agree with you about Gonzaga and Kansas, but there are other teams that are of concern. I think UConn has the easiest bracket.
So the region with the Big East, B1G, Big 12, and SEC tournament champions is the weakest?

All of the 2/3 seeds look pretty even to me. Although Marquette with a banged a Kolek might be the most vulnerable 2-seed. If you are really worried about Utah State or McNeese St, these last couple years have done some serious damage to you.

Reactions: jwardelt
Best draw we’ve had in 5 years…so I might need a wellness check on Saturday
I really like this team, TBH. TSJ is flat out ballin'. Just need Hawkins to get consistent, keep his wits. Underwood has a FF type of team here.

Good draw. But be careful with Morehead State. Their guards can play. BYU is solid. I like you guys to the SW16. Iowa State's really good---but I do think they are comparable to you guys. UConn though---just on another planet right now.

Good luck next week.

I really like this team, TBH. TSJ is flat out ballin'. Just need Hawkins to get consistent, keep his wits. Underwood has a FF type of team here.

Good draw. But be careful with Morehead State. Their guards can play. BYU is solid. I like you guys to the SW16. Iowa State's really good---but I do think they are comparable to you guys. UConn though---just on another planet right now.

Good luck next week.
UConn is the least of my worries…if we play UConn, I’ll be happy.

Reactions: IUfanBorden

I know peeps like to bang on Gonzaga, but this is a pretty good team. They have gotten better and better and better. Won @ Rupp. McNeese is solid----and that will be a solid test. Wouldn't surprise me if the bet GU----but it wont b/c GU isn't any good. Shit happens in March. With that being said, I think GU gets to the SW16.

Moutain West way underrated. Doesn't mean they are gonna kill it in the NCAAT----but there are some relly good teams there: I like Utah State. That's a bad, bad 8-seed, IMO. They could certainly give you guys problems.

Another team IMO that's getting overlooked inthis region is TX. Scary team here. Could certainly do some damage. Or they could lose to yet another underseeded, disrespected club in CSU.

South Carolina is solid. Just don't trust their offense. If trhese games were at home, easy pick. Its not. I think Oregon beats them.

Healthy KU would concern me. At times, they look really good. Not sure why Harris doesn't shoot more. When he is hitting shots, man KU is a Top 5-10'ish type team.

Tenn is really fukin good. Game changer with Knecht. When Jones is going good, Ziegler is under control, they might be the best team in CBB. But TX could be an issue in the 2nd round. Although there is just something different with this TN team.

Dust settles I think its chalk in the final: PU/TN. And no idea who wins.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Disagree, I like our draw.

I think Houston and UCONN’s brackets look far more difficult. Especially UCONN.

Plus I just love the 6 day rest and then a quick drive to Indy.

If Kansas somehow gets healthy they can be scary. But that seems unlikely.
Agree....Nothing is easy in the NCAAT, BUT---I think you guys got a really good path to the Reg finals. If its TN, I expect another epic fukin game. TN is really good.

So the region with the Big East, B1G, Big 12, and SEC tournament champions is the weakest?
Winners of one and done tournaments isn't a measurement of how good the team really is. Injuries play into outcomes in such things as well as luck.
All of the 2/3 seeds look pretty even to me. Although Marquette with a banged a Kolek might be the most vulnerable 2-seed. If you are really worried about Utah State or McNeese St, these last couple years have done some serious damage to you.
Of course I'm worried about them. They are really good.

Plus I just love the 6 day rest and then a quick drive to Indy.

If Kansas somehow gets healthy they can be scary. But that seems unlikely.
I guess agree to disagree.

On another note. Isn't Houston kinda banged up too? There's 3 guys on the injury list and one of them averages almost 20 min per game.

UNC....#2 Arizona....#3 Baylor and your # 4 is Bama? Not to mention 2nd round game vs Miss St, or Michigan St?

Grand Canyon is no pushover, either. I really like Dayton. They got my guy in Mr. Holmes. Dude is a dog. I wanna pick them to the Sw16, tbh.

End of the day, I think UNC gets bounced by either Miss State or MSU--Im gonna put SMC in the SW16. I don't trust Alabama...shoot way to many three's, and have a hard time scoring ourside of the 3, or transition. But when they are hitting shots----woof.

I wanna take DAyotn so bad---but on a $$ bracket, Im taking Arizona. But damn I wanna pick DU.

Arizona vs SMC.

Kats to the FF

Agree....Nothing is easy in the NCAAT, BUT---I think you guys got a really good path to the Reg finals. If its TN, I expect another epic fukin game. TN is really good.
Tennessee is awesome and would be worrisome, since Knecht is awesome and they’re already familiar with Edey (which I think is a sneaky big deal). But they didn’t exactly end the season strong and Barnes has really struggled in the post season at Tennessee (only 2 S16s and no E8s)*

*and I’m well aware that this comment cuts both ways lol

Overall, every draw is gonna have its challenges. But I like ours. I feel like UCONN and Houston’s both look a lot tougher than ours.

UNC....#2 Arizona....#3 Baylor and your # 4 is Bama? Not to mention 2nd round game vs Miss St, or Michigan St?

Grand Canyon is no pushover, either. I really like Dayton. They got my guy in Mr. Holmes. Dude is a dog. I wanna pick them to the Sw16, tbh.

End of the day, I think UNC gets bounced by either Miss State or MSU--Im gonna put SMC in the SW16. I don't trust Alabama...shoot way to many three's, and have a hard time scoring ourside of the 3, or transition. But when they are hitting shots----woof.

I wanna take DAyotn so bad---but on a $$ bracket, Im taking Arizona. But damn I wanna pick DU.

Arizona vs SMC.

Kats to the FF
I’m not high on teams that rely on pace for offense like Bama and Arizona do. I think it’s a solid draw for UNC, though I’m not particularly high on them either.

I think UCONN’s bracket looks freaking stacked.

Tennessee is awesome and would be worrisome, since Knecht is awesome and they’re already familiar with Edey (which I think is a sneaky big deal). But they didn’t exactly end the season strong and Barnes has really struggled in the post season at Tennessee (only 2 S16s and no E8s)*

Overall, every draw is gonna have its challenges. But I like ours. I feel like UCONN and Houston’s both look a lot tougher than ours.
If UT/PU meet, the postseason struggles for Barnes(and Painter), become irrelevant. You'd both would have "exorcised those demons", being in the E8.

Heck of a game. I hope it happens.

Reactions: Sparty_57

Tennessee is certainly due to finally beat us lol. Can’t remember the last time we lost to them tbh.

I’m not high on teams that rely on pace for offense like Bama and Arizona do. I think it’s a solid draw for UNC, though I’m not particularly high on them either.

I think UCONN’s bracket looks freaking stacked.
I agree. But I think outside of Dayton, yeah, Dayton, AZ's style would create issues for others in their region. TBH, the reason I like SMC, even Dayton, is I think both are the kryptonite for teams like Bama/AZ.

Have I mentioned I really like this DAyton team?

• Haha
If UT/PU meet, the postseason struggles for Barnes(and Painter), become irrelevant. You'd both would have "exorcised those demons", being in the E8.

Heck of a game. I hope it happens.
For sure. I feel like this is a famous last words situation, but I certainly don’t hate that our 2 seed has not made an elite 8 with this coach…even though they’ll be a bítch if we meet them there.

Because it's true? Everyone knows (or should know if you have a brain) a one and done tournament isn't the way to decide who the absolute best team is. It's the most entertaining way though.
Agree. somewhat. I do feel though more often than not, one of the best teams wins the title. Rarely is there much separation from the top teams capable of winning the title.

I think UConn is the best team. But I wouldn't be surprised if PU. HOU, Tenn, Arizona, etc....won the title. Theres just not a huge gap. Teams like 1991 UNLV is where this argument holds more water. Or 1985 Gtown...2015 UK.

Best team doesn't always win it----but one the best TEAMS does.

A series in CBB would not change anyting TBH...Not in terms of a national champion. We wouldn't see the upsets, the 15 seeds getting to SW16's, etc...But I think we'd get the same results with a series like format, as we are now.

For sure. I feel like this is a famous last words situation, but I certainly don’t hate that our 2 seed has not made an elite 8 with this coach…even though they’ll be a bítch if we meet them there.
Here is what I like about PU...Although SMith and Loyer didn't "more athletic", they did however get stronger. And IMO, that is just as important. If your weak AND not very athleticv----well you're in deep shit. BUT, if you get stronger, now you can at least use THAT to compensate. I though Bradens biggest issue was, he easily got pushed out, and tht made entry passes, or his ability to penetrate, very difficult. Teams basically bullied Loyer/Smith. Add to it neither was uber athletic, it just muddied up PU's offense; Its why I think IU game them issues---got physical with them. And with St. Pete, it was an athletic issue, speed issue. If you have strength, you can use that to get physical, negating some od the drop in your athletic ability.

Add to that, they now have 2 years of CBB experience. Add to that, MP can now tust his hench with Jones---who is not only strong, but athletic as hell.

This is the same team yes----but much different. Lyer and Smith, especially Braden, have gotten much netter. Add JOnes, and this is a dangerous PU team.

Because it's true? Everyone knows (or should know if you have a brain) a one and done tournament isn't the way to decide who the absolute best team is. It's the most entertaining way though.
The top 4 seeds in that region are all Top 10 teams on KenPom and 3 of them are top 5 on it.

You don’t really have much of an argument outside of dismissing those tournament results altogether. Which is also silly.

Here is what I like about PU...Although SMith and Loyer didn't "more athletic", they did however get stronger. And IMO, that is just as important. If your weak AND not very athleticv----well you're in deep shit. BUT, if you get stronger, now you can at least use THAT to compensate. I though Bradens biggest issue was, he easily got pushed out, and tht made entry passes, or his ability to penetrate, very difficult. Teams basically bullied Loyer/Smith. Add to it neither was uber athletic, it just muddied up PU's offense; Its why I think IU game them issues---got physical with them. And with St. Pete, it was an athletic issue, speed issue. If you have strength, you can use that to get physical, negating some od the drop in your athletic ability.

Add to that, they now have 2 years of CBB experience. Add to that, MP can now tust his hench with Jones---who is not only strong, but athletic as hell.

This is the same team yes----but much different. Lyer and Smith, especially Braden, have gotten much netter. Add JOnes, and this is a dangerous PU team.
A lot is going to ride on how healthy Braden is. Need him at as close to 100% as possible.

What is going on? I haven't followed much lately. Getting ready for baseball season
Against MSU, he was driving and came up awkwardly and initially we probably all figured torn ACL. He went to the locker room but came back in later. Ended up being a calf strain and he played against Wisky.

26 years in a row, bitches!
iu

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Agree. somewhat. I do feel though more often than not, one of the best teams wins the title. Rarely is there much separation from the top teams capable of winning the title.

I think UConn is the best team. But I wouldn't be surprised if PU. HOU, Tenn, Arizona, etc....won the title. Theres just not a huge gap. Teams like 1991 UNLV is where this argument holds more water. Or 1985 Gtown...2015 UK.

Best team doesn't always win it----but one the best TEAMS does.

A series in CBB would not change anyting TBH...Not in terms of a national champion. We wouldn't see the upsets, the 15 seeds getting to SW16's, etc...But I think we'd get the same results with a series like format, as we are now.
Sure, I'd say it's typically one of the better teams but not the best team. There are always a lot of good teams with few losses. Interestingly, UConn's last 3 titles they had a minimum of 8 losses each time.

Here are the times where I would say, probably not the best team, heck probably not one of the top teams won it all.

2023 UConn 31-8
2017 North Carolina 33-7
2014 UConn 32-8
2011 UConn 32-9
2000 Michigan St 32-7
1997 Arizona 25-9
1989 Michigan 30-7
1988 Kansas 27-11
1986 Louisville 32-7
1985 Villanova 25-10
1983 North Carolina State 26-10
1981 Indiana 26-9

Now I didn't look to see what the records of each team were each of those years, but once you start to get to 7 losses IMO you're likely in the 5th-10th range.

Last edited:

I agree with most of this, but I think Smith is more athletic than you're giving him credit for. I think what he struggled with last year was making good decisions. He left his feet a lot to make a pass and would too often turn the ball over.

St Pete was two years ago. Ivey was more than athletic enough to play with them. He just had his worst game of his carrer vs them.

Last year vs Fairley Dickinson, we just couldn't hit a wide open shot.

It was my wife. She as scheduled to have surgery. Docotrs office called on Thurs, around 4 pm, saying it was PPD, due to insurance not approving the procedure. Very upsetting for my wife. A suregery that could have changed her life----Glas to know insurance companies know what is best for us/her.

Stupid muther****ers. Possible there is a warrant out for me now, after the phine call I had wit them. Laughing
Very frustrating. I despise insurance companies in general having similar battles over health care, emergency care, automobiles, boat and roofs.

Hopefully you find another course of treatment for her.

Sure, I'd say it's typically one of the better teams but not the best team. There are always a lot of good teams with few losses. Interestingly, UConn's last 3 titles they had a minimum of 8 losses each time.

Here are the times where I would say, probably not the best team, heck probably not one of the top teams won it all.

2023 UConn 31-8
2017 North Carolina 33-7
2014 UConn 32-8
2011 UConn 32-9
2000 Michigan St 32-7
1997 Arizona 25-9
1989 Michigan 30-7
1988 Kansas 27-11
1986 Louisville 32-7
1985 Villanova 25-10
1983 North Carolina State 26-10
1981 Indiana 26-9

Now I didn't look to see what the records of each team were each of those years, but once you start to get to 7 losses IMO you're likely in the 5th-10th range.
Michigan State was a one seed. They were ranked #2 by the AP going into the tourney.

Last edited:

Loyer looks the same to me, frail.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT