ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s wild. They also had the better Xavier Johnson, who is balling this year. The rest of their team must’ve been dog shit.
No idea. Can’t say I’ve ever watched a southern Illinois game. Unless we played them at some point in the last 30 years.

HAd a game tonight. Just caught the score here and there. Saw it got tight. So, how was the game?
Odd game. Our big 3 struggled a bit. Edey battled foul trouble all night. Fletch shot poorly. And Braden had 4 TO’s.

TKR and Gillis were great tho and Lance made some big plays.

Oh, and if you ask him, Coleman Hawkins has never committed a foul.

Last edited:
Here’s a longer look.

Certainly a foul. My guess here----Maybe they felt he moved under him, while he was in the air---Which can be an F1; unnecessary contact. IMO, that is reach. Looks like PU player lost his footing when ILL player left the floor.

I have been out the college game full circle for a few years now---Possible there is some sort of POE, here. I dunno.

Just not sure how its an F1. The "C" official---is that Green? He just gives the---"I got nadda here.."---Which is as bizzare as the F1. It is a foul.

Last edited:
What is Jones supposed to do there though?
One, you cannot wrap....But you cannot "root" a guy out. Boxing out is not moving a person off a spot---Its simply being stationary...Obviously you can move, IF your defender does so. But you cannot displace them off their spot. He does that----"moving backwards.". HAd a play tonight were a kid "boxed out" a kid clear across the lane---Cannot do that.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
One, you cannot wrap....But you cannot "root" a guy out. Boxing out is not moving a person off a spot---Its simply being stationary...Obviously you can move, IF your defender does so. But you cannot displace them off their spot. He does that----"moving backwards.". HAd a play tonight were a kid "boxed out" a kid clear across the lane---Cannot do that.
It looks like he only really moved when the dude jumped over his back. At worst it should’ve been just a common foul but probably just a play on.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
It looks like he only really moved when the dude jumped over his back. At worst it should’ve been just a common foul but probably just a play on.
Should've been a no-call, I don't think you can call a common foul on replays if it wasn't called on the floor, so they probably thought "hey let's call it a flagrant"

Reactions: boiler1987
Odd game. Our big 3 struggled a bit. Edey battled foul trouble all night. Fletch shot poorly. And Braden had 4 TO’s.

TKR and Gillis were great tho and Lance made some big plays.

Oh, and if you ask him, Coleman Hawkins has never committed a foul.
I feel like that's what happens mostly when y'all lose.

I feel like that's what happens mostly when y'all lose.
Agreed

Fletch is the X-factor for us. If he plays well, we are almost impossible to beat. Unfortunately, he has games where he’s a net negative.

And 8 second half TO’s (4 by Braden) is our other red flag. Plus, we missed two front ends of 1-&-1’s late, which might as well be turnovers too.

Boxing out does not involve displacement---which happens here. I don't think its an F1. But its certainly a foul.
I don’t think he really displaced him though, the dude just jumped on Jones’s back in a desperate attempt to the get the RB. Doesn’t matter now but it was the most egregious flagrant I’ve seen called this season.

I don’t think he really displaced him though, the dude just jumped on Jones’s back in a desperate attempt to the get the RB. Doesn’t matter now but it was the most egregious flagrant I’ve seen called this season.
Flagrant was a questionable call, but Jones definitely displaced him. He jumps and lands in the same spot if he doesn’t roll down Jones’s back. Definitely a foul. Just don’t think you can make it flagrant.

Agreed

Fletch is the X-factor for us. If he plays well, we are almost impossible to beat. Unfortunately, he has games where he’s a net negative.

And 8 second half TO’s (4 by Braden) is our other red flag. Plus, we missed two front ends of 1-&-1’s late, which might as well be turnovers too.
I just chalk it up to basketball. Star big man foul trouble, starting 2g shoots poorly, starting 1g turns it over. But to win a game when your team plays like that has to be encouraging.

I did not see this particular play so won't judge but "rooting" guys out and otherwise displacing them happens all the time and is rarely called.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
It had to do with Edey sitting on the bench with foul trouble.
Purdue took a 7 point lead and turned it into a 15 point lead when Edey went to the bench. Illinois had success against Edey offensively in the 2nd half once they got Rodgers off the court. Purdue’s forwards played a hell of a game, and TKR was the difference in this game. He made plays everywhere, and he scored too.

Purdue took a 7 point lead and turned it into a 15 point lead when Edey went to the bench. Illinois had success against Edey offensively in the 2nd half once they got Rodgers off the court. Purdue’s forwards played a hell of a game, and TKR was the difference in this game. He made plays everywhere, and he scored too.
They made runs with Edey on the bench. TKR, Jones, and Gillis came up big—a sign of a good team. Loyer sucked dog balls. Six different Boilermaker players made threes in the first half; good stuff.

I just chalk it up to basketball. Star big man foul trouble, starting 2g shoots poorly, starting 1g turns it over. But to win a game when your team plays like that has to be encouraging.
Yep. It’s a long season but I think this team is better equipped to overcome challenges with its depth and versatility.

Pretty crazy to me that a player as talented as Colvin didn’t even see the floor last night.

Yep. It’s a long season but I think this team is better equipped to overcome challenges with its depth and versatility.

Pretty crazy to me that a player as talented as Colvin didn’t even see the floor last night.
Essegian can’t get on the floor for us right now. Didn’t think I’d be saying that this year. Depth is a wonderful thing.

Reactions: boilerzz and VulvHa
They made runs with Edey on the bench. TKR, Jones, and Gillis came up big—a sign of a good team. Loyer sucked dog balls. Six different Boilermaker players made threes in the first half; good stuff.
In the 2nd half, Illinois cleaned up its lineups and took advantage of Purdue’s guards and wings’ defensive inabilities. Illinois also was able to score with Edey in the lineup though. He was forced to matchup on Guerrier and Hawkins which put him in space several times.

There’s definitely a lot of positives for Illinois to take into the next matchup with or without Edey, but Purdue forced Illinois to prune its lineup to 6 maybe 7 guys. Illinois will need Edey in foul trouble to prevent themselves going into foul trouble to be successful. I believe that’s the biggest aspect of Edey in this matchup. He’s going to get his in any game he’s in.

Thoughts on this one…which wasn’t reviewed?

I’m not sure why Purdue fans are so up in arms about the officiating. There were a couple of bad calls, but nothing egregious impacted the game. Edey’s fouls were fouls, and there were a couple uncalled. It wasn’t perfect, but it was above average for a college game.

I did not see this particular play so won't judge but "rooting" guys out and otherwise displacing them happens all the time and is rarely called.
Its called more than the average fan thinks. We also gotta look at letting the play process, and decide---"Do we need a foul here"? Is this a situation where the contact, the action, gave an advantage? Is it a situation e can allow to play through?

He(ILL) didn't jumps iver his back----He went straight up. PU kid possibly moves under him, with displacement. I have watched this more than I should have, tbh....And tbh, I'm just not sure there is much here. It looks bad, for certain. With that being said, I just cant see an F1 here. I can see justifying a foul----but not a flagrant.

He(ILL) didn't jumps iver his back----He went straight up. PU kid possibly moves under him, with displacement. I have watched this more than I should have, tbh....And tbh, I'm just not sure there is much here. It looks bad, for certain. With that being said, I just cant see an F1 here. I can see justifying a foul----but not a flagrant.
I could’ve lived with if it had been called a common foul on the floor. But to go to the monitor and decide it was a flagrant was laughably bad.

I could’ve lived with if it had been called a common foul on the floor. But to go to the monitor and decide it was a flagrant was laughably bad.
Cannot disagree. My only thought is----they feel PU kid purposely moved under him. Ok, then that has to be an F2. IMO, you stick with what you had on the floor----which was nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT