ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't take any metric serious that has BYU in the top 5. BYU plays Cincinnati, Baylor, Houston, Iowa State, Texas Tech, Texas all before February. There is no way in hell they are ranked in the top 20 after that stretch.
BYU is very good and original big 12 teams are going to have no fun playing games on the road there

BYU is very good and original big 12 teams are going to have no fun playing games on the road there

I'm aware they have a terrific home Environment. But BYU has a roster full of players who have never had to face multiple top 25 caliber teams, in league, 3 times per week, home or away, for multiple weeks in row.

And in the past, when they were able to take a breather a bit vs. some of the lesser teams in the league, they would go play in front crowds of 1,500 at Loyola Marymount or 2200 at San Diego, or 2500 at Santa Clara.

Hell, they might get a reprieve a bit and go play at West Virginia, but its still a venue with 10,000+ showing up.

Big 12 is going to tear them a new LDS butthole.

I'm aware they have a terrific home Environment. But BYU has a roster full of players who have never had to face multiple top 25 caliber teams, in league, 3 times per week, home or away, for multiple weeks in row.

And in the past, when they were able to take a breather a bit vs. some of the lesser teams in the league, they would go play in front crowds of 1,500 at Loyola Marymount or 2200 at San Diego, or 2500 at Santa Clara.

Hell, they might get a reprieve a bit and go play at West Virginia, but its still a venue with 10,000+ showing up.

Who is playing 3 times a week? Outside of stupid covid years and the rare occasion otherwise, it's two games a week.

Who is playing 3 times a week? Outside of stupid covid years and the rare occasion otherwise, it's two games a week.

I was referring to 3 games in a 7 day period. The Big 12 is doing that this season because they don't start playing games in December like the Big Ten.

I was referring to 3 games in a 7 day period. The Big 12 is doing that this season because they don't start playing games in December like the Big Ten.
I just looked at KU's schedule. Seems like a normal B12 schedule. Sat/mon sat/tues rinse and repeat. Same as any other conference. They only play 18 conference games (all after Jan 1). We play 19 games after Jan 1.

Bart Torvik projected records:

1 Purdue 17-3 (28-3)
2 Illinois 14-6 (23-8)
3 Wisky 13-7 (21-10)
Ohio State 13-7 (23-8)
MSU 13-7 (21-10)
6 Nebraska 11-9 (21-10)
7 NW 9-11 (18-13)
8 Michgian 8-12 (13-18)
Minnesota 8-12 (17-14)
10 Iowa 7-13 (15-16)
PSU 7-13 (13-18)
IU 7-13 (15-16)
13 Rutgers 6-14 (14-17)
Maryland 6-14 (14-17)

Looking like a 5 bid league....6 at most. Woof!
Sounds about right.

Wish the students were back!
Not sure it will matter. I was at the #6 West Virginia at #4 Purdue game on New Years Day in 2010. That was the loudest I've ever heard Mackey and the students were gone. We forced a 5 second violation near the half court line at one point and neither team heard the whistle for several seconds.

Not sure it will matter. I was at the #6 West Virginia at #4 Purdue game on New Years Day in 2010. That was the loudest I've ever heard Mackey and the students were gone. We forced a 5 second violation near the half court line at one point and neither team heard the whistle for several seconds.

It doesn't. Its a huge weekend game vs a great opponent. That venue will be rocking.

Reactions: boilerzz

BYU is the projected 4th 1 seed according to team rankings. I see no way they live up to that billing

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
I was a senior that year and went to the game too and I agree it was the loudest I’ve ever heard Mackey.

I'm assuming that the Illini wish that Shannon was back.
NSm2.gif

That would be perfect. I teased Illinois +12.5.

So it has no chance to be the result.
I think it will be a fun game for awhile (except for PU fans, it will always be fun) but playing at Mackey against the current best team in the country in a game that probably means more for Purdue than Illinois (not downplaying its importance to Illinois, but Purdue needs this one) is a tall task. I think Illinois chances ride on the shoulders of Hawkins and Guerrier. If they can shoot it from deep and draw out Edey, we might have something.

I think it will be a fun game for awhile (except for PU fans, it will always be fun) but playing at Mackey against the current best team in the country in a game that probably means more for Purdue than Illinois (not downplaying its importance to Illinois, but Purdue needs this one) is a tall task. I think Illinois chances ride on the shoulders of Hawkins and Guerrier. If they can shoot it from deep and draw out Edey, we might have something.
I'm really hoping Edey can get Hawkins and/or Guerrier in foul trouble. We match up much better if Dainja has to play a bunch,

Reactions: cmore79
I am rooting for Illinois the rest of the way since they are our biggest win. However I don't have much faith without Shannon Jr

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT