ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G In-Season Thread****

Is Jett the early favorite for BTFOY?
Most everyone had JHS in the preseason but Jett was damn impressive. It's way early tho.

There are several guys who had great opening games. Below are the top freshmen KenPom O-ratings from the opening games (guys with 20% or higher usage):

RkPlayerTeamORtg
10Fletcher LoyerPurdue142.0 (21.5)
18Jett HowardMichigan131.8 (25.9)
22Brice SensabaughOhio St.123.1 (41.2)
40Malik ReneauIndiana102.9 (39.3)
43Jaxon KohlerMichigan St.97.1 (23.5)
44Trey Kaufman-RennPurdue95.4 (26.4)
46Dasonte BowenIowa91.0 (25.6)

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Dasante Bowen > Jett Howard
hell-yes.gif

Most everyone had JHS in the preseason but Jett was damn impressive. It's way early tho.

There are several guys who had great opening games. Below are the top freshmen KenPom O-ratings from the opening games (guys with 20% or higher usage):

RkPlayerTeamORtg
I don’t think Kohler will win it by any means but I think he’s going to have some really good per 40 numbers. Conditioning and defense are a work in progress but he’s shown off some just dirty footwork down low and I think is going to put some points on the board for us. One of the better go get your own bucket guys on the team.

I could seriously see him being like an 8 points per game guy in like 10-12 minutes.

RkPlayerTeamORtg

can you explain what these numbers mean?

can you explain what these numbers mean?
O Rating is the first number. % of possessions used is 2nd.

Offensive rating (ORtg): A measure of personal offensive efficiency developed by Dean Oliver. The formula is very complicated, but accurate. For a detailed explanation, buy Basketball on Paper.
Percentage of possessions used (%Poss): A measure of personal possessions used while the player is on the court. Simply assigns credit or blame to a player when his actions end a possession, either by making a shot, missing a shot that isn’t rebounded by the offense, or committing a turnover.

For teams, the formula is: Offensive Team Rating = (Players Points*Total FG%) + Opponents Differential= 1/5 of possessions - Times Fouled+ FTM* FT% * OAPOW (Official Adjusted Players Offensive Withstand). This stat can't be influenced by the defense of a player's teammates.[1]

For players, the formula is: Offensive Production Rating = (Points Produced / Individual Possessions) x OAPOW × PPG + FTM/FT * 3pt% + FG%

Points can be produced through field goals, free throws, assists, and offensive rebounds. Individual possessions are the sum of a player's scoring possessions (field goals, free throws, plus partial credit for assists), missed field goals and free throws that the defense rebounds, and turnovers.

RkPlayerTeamORtg

It’s nitpicky but looking at the two stat lines it’s weird to me Loyer would have a higher offensive rating.

O Rating is the first number. % of possessions used is 2nd.

Offensive rating (ORtg): A measure of personal offensive efficiency developed by Dean Oliver. The formula is very complicated, but accurate. For a detailed explanation, buy Basketball on Paper.
Percentage of possessions used (%Poss): A measure of personal possessions used while the player is on the court. Simply assigns credit or blame to a player when his actions end a possession, either by making a shot, missing a shot that isn’t rebounded by the offense, or committing a turnover.

For teams, the formula is: Offensive Team Rating = (Players Points*Total FG%) + Opponents Differential= 1/5 of possessions - Times Fouled+ FTM* FT% * OAPOW (Official Adjusted Players Offensive Withstand). This stat can't be influenced by the defense of a player's teammates.[1]

For players, the formula is: Offensive Production Rating = (Points Produced / Individual Possessions) x OAPOW × PPG + FTM/FT * 3pt% + FG%

Points can be produced through field goals, free throws, assists, and offensive rebounds. Individual possessions are the sum of a player's scoring possessions (field goals, free throws, plus partial credit for assists), missed field goals and free throws that the defense rebounds, and turnovers.

Thanks!

Sensabaugh had 17 -9 in 17 minutes and on only 8 attempts. I expect some 4-17 nights from him but Monday was a good start

IU’s shitty starters are going to lull the opponents into a false sense of security all year right before the elite bench unit eviscerates them. A perfect plan

Reactions: IUBtown
IU was "ok" last night....Second half was good----but notsure how much of that was IU, opposed to Morehead State losing their PG; who at one point had 14 of their 21 points.

--Malik Reneau and JHS are really good.

---Need to shoot more than 12 threes.

---FT's: Eeeek. Started 1-7,ended up 12-21. Not good.

---Defense was solid.

---Depth. IU lost a lot when TJD/Race would go to the bench. Not so with Reneau: 15/7 last night.

---X was,well,not very good. But that is "OK"----b/c JHS was, and is really good.

---Kaleb Banks was a surprise. Bit of a sleeper IMO. Looked good for his first time in a college game.

--Geronimo is an athletic freak...When his basketball skills catch up, he could be a big prblem. Showed a nice mid-range game last night.

----JHS might be the best frosh in the B10. Very good. Strong and can get where he wants on the floor. Vision is elite. Mid-range is very good. Good defender for a frosh. At 6'6",he's gonna be a tough match-up for folks.

----Kopp was 2-2(from 3). Needs to shoot more. But inhis defense, X missed him wide open 3 or 4 times. His defense is better than I thought.

Overall, lot to improve. Very, very sloppy 1st half. You can get away with that vs Morehead State----but not an Illinois, Purdue, UM, etc, etc.....Cannot continue to get outscored by so much from three: 27-12. Morehead only shot 30%, but.............they hit 9 three's. It was the only reason the game was close early. That and missed freebies,and ****ing 5-footers/lay-ups. I expect this team to be really solid...Need to take a higher volume of three's though. IMO, about 20-25 per game.

Take a lap

8-15 from three tonight....

12-26 on the year.

Need higer volume, and tonight they have.

A devious and crafty plan. Its working well against shitty teams. I'm sure it will continue all year.
I think Woodson will continue using a bench lineup because he did it basically every game last year. I think this unit is far more capable than last year. Reneau is going to still be able to score against elite teams and Geronimo/Galloway look like they’re a decent amount improved.

I can tell after a minute of viewing I’m going to hate hearing the announcers say two last names.

Is the start of the season always this shitty? I seem to remember there always being a couple of games to really look forward to in the first week. Just a bunch of glorified exhibitions so far.
They gave a decent background on it on the latest cbs eye on cbb pod, but long story short, the Election pushed the champs classic to next week. They were still critical of coaches scheduling nothing games for this opening week though

Reactions: otte21
Is the start of the season always this shitty? I seem to remember there always being a couple of games to really look forward to in the first week. Just a bunch of glorified exhibitions so far.
I know, right.....Seems like we have always had some early season marquee games.

Reactions: otte21
Kopp maybe has found his stroke?

IU 10-18 from three.....I was hoping we'd shoot more----Have too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT