ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official B1G In Season Thread*****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? 30 games into his college career?

Sheesh....Not his fault Miller Kopp left his shot in Evanston... Or Rob was again hurt multiple times...18-12 isn't the outcome desired....his bench use was very, well, TBH, ****ed up at times....But we were in damn near every game, and this team could just as easily be 22-8, opposed to 18-12. Huge difference between this year, and last...A good example is...

Fell behind 8-0 @ Minny----last year tht team never recovers.

Down 11 @ Purdue.....get it to 4 at half....Down 48-40, go on an 11-0 run....Had a chance to win at the end....Last year? Lose by 25+----Same ting for game at home...Yeah this team blew some leads---some big leads----But hell last years team never blew BIG leads, b/c they ****ing never had any...

I higgest issue with Woodson was he mishandled the bench, IMO....Felt Geronimo/Bates should have gotten more run---a lot more.

Lets see how the BTT pans out, and next season....He's got some nice players coming in, and the trnsfer portal has changed the game exponentially....
Kopp ended up a respectable 37%, which was considerably better than he shot last year at NW.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
What is the cutoff for getting a "home" region in the NCAAs?? I have seen multiple brackets where Illinois is a 3-seed but NEVER in the Chicago regional, yet I have seen another Midwest team (i.e., Iowa) be there as like a 5- or 6-seed ... what is the thinking behind where they put the non-1-seeds? I was under the impression that they generally put the top 4 as close to home as possible, with descending consideration as you go down (i.e., 1 is protected the most and so forth).

What is the cutoff for getting a "home" region in the NCAAs?? I have seen multiple brackets where Illinois is a 3-seed but NEVER in the Chicago regional, yet I have seen another Midwest team (i.e., Iowa) be there as like a 5- or 6-seed ... what is the thinking behind where they put the non-1-seeds? I was under the impression that they generally put the top 4 as close to home as possible, with descending consideration as you go down (i.e., 1 is protected the most and so forth).
Your biggest challenge is they will only put one B1G team in Chicago and both Purdue and Wisky are ahead of you on the S curve. Can that change if you win the BTT? Possibly.

I think because they have Wisconsin and Purdue ahead on the S curve, which has one of those two teams in the Midwest instead of Illinois.

Huh? 30 games into his college career?

Sheesh....Not his fault Miller Kopp left his shot in Evanston... Or Rob was again hurt multiple times...18-12 isn't the outcome desired....his bench use was very, well, TBH, ****ed up at times....But we were in damn near every game, and this team could just as easily be 22-8, opposed to 18-12. Huge difference between this year, and last...A good example is...

Fell behind 8-0 @ Minny----last year tht team never recovers.

Down 11 @ Purdue.....get it to 4 at half....Down 48-40, go on an 11-0 run....Had a chance to win at the end....Last year? Lose by 25+----Same ting for game at home...Yeah this team blew some leads---some big leads----But hell last years team never blew BIG leads, b/c they ****ing never had any...

I higgest issue with Woodson was he mishandled the bench, IMO....Felt Geronimo/Bates should have gotten more run---a lot more.

Lets see how the BTT pans out, and next season....He's got some nice players coming in, and the trnsfer portal has changed the game exponentially....
I'm off the Woodson train. The bench use is one of the biggest issues IMO. In college basketball there is never an excuse for having all 5 starters off the floor at the same time, and Woodson did that every single game. Every game it lead to a big run by the opposing team. As you said, Bates and Geronimo deserved more time.

Woodson has stated that it was a curfew violation that caused him to sit 5 players and throw away the Northwestern game. Inexcusable given it's now going to be 6 straight years of missing the tournament. A curfew violation is something you should be making a hard couple of practices for, not throwing conference games against bottom feeders.

The fact that Woodson has the 2nd best B1G coach from the last two decades with an office right down the hall that he refuses to go to for advice drives me crazy. He takes advice from 3 people. Armond Hill (ex NBA Assistant) the current DOBO, Jim Todd (ex NBA assistant), and Randy Wittman (failed NBA coach). The staff at Peegs has been reporting for months now that Woodson and Matta have no real relationship. The 3 assistant coaches are not used in developing the game plan or during games. Watch on Thursday and you will see Hill is the staff member sitting next to Woodson and the only coach Woodson will talk to in game.

We have some good players coming in, but barring a complete roster revamp with the portal, we will be significantly worse than we were this year. We will very likely be losing 4 of our top 5 scorers, and I think there is a chance we make it 5 of 5 depending on what XJ decides to do. I also think there is some chance Bates leaves to be closer to the new baby.

I'm off the Woodson train. The bench use is one of the biggest issues IMO. In college basketball there is never an excuse for having all 5 starters off the floor at the same time, and Woodson did that every single game. Every game it lead to a big run by the opposing team. As you said, Bates and Geronimo deserved more time.

Woodson has stated that it was a curfew violation that caused him to sit 5 players and throw away the Northwestern game. Inexcusable given it's now going to be 6 straight years of missing the tournament. A curfew violation is something you should be making a hard couple of practices for, not throwing conference games against bottom feeders.

The fact that Woodson has the 2nd best B1G coach from the last two decades with an office right down the hall that he refuses to go to for advice drives me crazy. He takes advice from 3 people. Armond Hill (ex NBA Assistant) the current DOBO, Jim Todd (ex NBA assistant), and Randy Wittman (failed NBA coach). The staff at Peegs has been reporting for months now that Woodson and Matta have no real relationship. The 3 assistant coaches are not used in developing the game plan or during games. Watch on Thursday and you will see Hill is the staff member sitting next to Woodson and the only coach Woodson will talk to in game.

We have some good players coming in, but barring a complete roster revamp with the portal, we will be significantly worse than we were this year. We will very likely be losing 4 of our top 5 scorers, and I think there is a chance we make it 5 of 5 depending on what XJ decides to do. I also think there is some chance Bates leaves to be closer to the new baby.
Tamar Bates…new baby?

Kopp ended up a respectable 37%, which was considerably better than he shot last year at NW.
He was 6-26 over the past 7 games, leading into Purdue(4-6). His percentage is skewed due to a lot of, 1-2 , 1-1 games.......He had 8 games were he was either 1-1, 1-2, and one game where he went 2-2...So when you have 8 games where you shoot 50%, or 100%, but you're only taking 2 shots per game----thats a pretty misleading stat...

His shooting percentage is fools gold at 37%....

Call me crazy-----but I tend to lean more toward giving a guy more than 30 gmes, before kicking him to the curb.....I don't disagree with any of what you said----but there is a learning curve..

No issue with the suspensions....Should have won the game regardless.

I do find it hard to believe that Matta/Woodson have no real relationship---after all, it was Woody who hired the guy..But then again, maybe after a while, he didn't like him? I dunno.

Tell ya this----Indiana fires Woody this year, or next, well good luck with a new hire....

Call me crazy-----but I tend to lean more toward giving a guy more than 30 gmes, before kicking him to the curb.....I don't disagree with any of what you said----but there is a learning curve..

I do find it hard to believe that Matta/Woodson have no real relationship---after all, it was Woody who hired the guy..But then again, maybe after a while, he didn't like him? I dunno.

Tell ya this----Indiana fires Woody this year, or next, well good luck with a new hire....
If it's a normal coach with college coaching experience, I would be all for giving them more time. This is a 64 year old coach with no college experience that only relies on ex NBA coaches for advice.

Woodson did not hire Matta or Fife. Both of those were hired by Dolson. Woodson didn't choose either. This has been reported by the Peegs staff for the last few months, and today Dakich even talked about it on his show.

Woodson won't be fired. Dolson can't do that as this was his experiment and he would be out the door with him.

Sporting News is the 1st All American team to drop:

1st team:
Johnnny Davis
Kofi Cockburn
Keegan Murray

2nd team:
Jaden Ivey

3rd team:
EJ Liddell

Crazy how stacked the B1G was with talent this year.

So weird that Dickinson was 2nd team All American last year, far and away better this year, and no where on the top 3 teams. Team strength is a big factor.

If it's a normal coach with college coaching experience, I would be all for giving them more time. This is a 64 year old coach with no college experience that only relies on ex NBA coaches for advice.

Woodson did not hire Matta or Fife. Both of those were hired by Dolson. Woodson didn't choose either. This has been reported by the Peegs staff for the last few months, and today Dakich even talked about it on his show.

Woodson won't be fired. Dolson can't do that as this was his experiment and he would be out the door with him.
So Dolson hired Woody's assistants for him?

Weird...

If I read on Peegs at 8am, that the sun was up, I would be inclined to go outside and look...

1. Illinois (0)
  2. Michigan (6)
  3. Purdue (0)
  4. Maryland (6)
  5. OSU (1)
  6. Indiana (3)
  7. Rutgers (3)
  8. MSU (1)
  9. Wisconsin (7)
  10. Iowa (5)
  11. Northwestern (1)
  12. Nebraska (1)
  13. PSU (2)
  14. Minnesota (0)
This is my preseason list. 3 right. 5 within 1 or 2. 4 big misses in Iowa, Maryland, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

So Dolson hired Woody's assistants for him?

Weird...

If I read on Peegs at 8am, that the sun was up, I would be inclined to go outside and look...
He hired one of his assistants for him (Fife). Matta isn't an assistant.

It's not just Peegs reporting it. Again, have you ever seen a DOBO sitting next to a coach and be the only one the coach engages with throughout the game? Watch specifically for that next game.

There’s Michigan fans who want to kick Houstan to the curb. Blows my mind.

Reactions: IUfanBorden

It's not just Peegs reporting it. Again, have you ever seen a DOBO sitting next to a coach and be the only one the coach engages with throughout the game? Watch specifically for that next game.
Just wait till he gets tired of recruiting…

Your biggest challenge is they will only put one B1G team in Chicago and both Purdue and Wisky are ahead of you on the S curve. Can that change if you win the BTT? Possibly.
Surprised Wiscy isn’t taking a bigger hit. They definitely still have a bit better of a resume than us, but a home loss to Nebraska is about the worst possible loss on any decent B1G team’s schedule. I’d think they’d need a nice BTT performance to get back to a 2.

Reactions: RichieRebel
Surprised Wiscy isn’t taking a bigger hit. They definitely still have a bit better of a resume than us, but a home loss to Nebraska is about the worst possible loss on any decent B1G team’s schedule. I’d think they’d need a nice BTT performance to get back to a 2.
We’re still a 2 (at least on ESPN) But the last one I think. Beating a top 10 team again helps offset that shit show.

I know Matta isn't an "assistant"----but then again, he is. And maybe he talks to Thad before game, at halftime---after games? Who knows. If you are a hired assistant coach, i.e. Fife, and the HC is going to the DOBO more so than you----what signal is that sending? Its a double-edge sword, so to speak...

And I've never heard of an an AD hiring an assistant for a HC....But then again, this is Indiana...

I've been more than vocal about the hiring of Woodson....At first, absolutely loathed the hiring......then warmed up to it.....then kinda of, "meh" again...BUT, and sure its cliche, but lets give a dude time to get his dudes....Not just 2 or 3, or 4 or 5----but his roster. Lets see Bates as a soph( I hope).....What happens with Logan over the summer...Incoming class. THe thing I liked with Woody right out of the gate is HE TRIED to address the elephant in the room----SHOOTING. ANd he got two dudes who most of us, including the experts, etc, etc....that felt he did just that with Stewart/Kopp----And too some extent, he did; though Parker really struggled late. Johnson actually shot the ball really well from three---I believe 39%?

THe difference between this team and ANY Miller team is onviously noticeable...Its not even close.

I just cant understand the rationale of "being off the train" for a coach, after 30 games, with a roster that was A) basically not his, B) thrown together through the portal.....Yet, I mean Indiana is a few bonehead plays away, etc, etc....from easily being a 20+ win, NCAAT team...

Yeah, even tho they beat us twice, I think we jumped back in front of them with that brutal loss to Nebraska (some talking heads have it that way...some don't). If it plays out that way, round 3 might be for the 2 seed and 3 seed. Ironically, I could very much seeing a case where the 3 seed B1G team gets Chicago as it very well could be Kansas or UK as a 2 seed and they would slot to Chicago before the 2 seed B1G team. Kansas can't be a 2 in Baylor's region and UK can't be a 2 in Auburn's regio assuming those 2 teams get 1 seeds.

So it could work out for Illinois. Say, Purdue beats Illinois for the BTT title, I think that likely puts Purdue as the 2 seed either out west or east. That would leave Illinois as the possible 3 seed in Chicago.

2 seed vs 3 seed doesn’t really matter much though.

Just about the matchup
Yea I’m not going to get bent out of shape over it. Looking at the 6’s and 7’s there’s good and bad matchups potentially. I just want to be in Milwaukee for the first/second rounds. Don’t really care about region. Send us out West. We love it out there.

I know Matta isn't an "assistant"----but then again, he is. And maybe he talks to Thad before game, at halftime---after games? Who knows. If you are a hired assistant coach, i.e. Fife, and the HC is going to the DOBO more so than you----what signal is that sending? Its a double-edge sword, so to speak...

And I've never heard of an an AD hiring an assistant for a HC....But then again, this is Indiana...

I've been more than vocal about the hiring of Woodson....At first, absolutely loathed the hiring......then warmed up to it.....then kinda of, "meh" again...BUT, and sure its cliche, but lets give a dude time to get his dudes....Not just 2 or 3, or 4 or 5----but his roster. Lets see Bates as a soph( I hope).....What happens with Logan over the summer...Incoming class. THe thing I liked with Woody right out of the gate is HE TRIED to address the elephant in the room----SHOOTING. ANd he got two dudes who most of us, including the experts, etc, etc....that felt he did just that with Stewart/Kopp----And too some extent, he did; though Parker really struggled late. Johnson actually shot the ball really well from three---I believe 39%?

THe difference between this team and ANY Miller team is onviously noticeable...Its not even close.

I just cant understand the rationale of "being off the train" for a coach, after 30 games, with a roster that was A) basically not his, B) thrown together through the portal.....Yet, I mean Indiana is a few bonehead plays away, etc, etc....from easily being a 20+ win, NCAAT team...
I’ve already explained to you why I’m off the train. Did the team perform marginally better this year than they did last year? Yes. They also had a significantly easier schedule.

I hope I’m wrong on Woodson, but we are probably about to lose 4 of our 5 top scorers from a team that was horrid offensively.

He has recruited really well in the backcourt. We have no bigs in the pipeline and are losing TJD and Race.

Again, I hope I’m wrong, but After 30 games, I don’t see it.

Yea I’m not going to get bent out of shape over it. Looking at the 6’s and 7’s there’s good and bad matchups potentially. I just want to be in Milwaukee for the first/second rounds. Don’t really care about region. Send us out West. We love it out there.
Alabama would not be an ideal 6 seed for Illinois.

LSU hasn’t looked good when I’ve watched them, but they have talent.

All the 7 seeds look easy, but I also thought that about that about Loyola :/

Alabama would not be an ideal 6 seed for Illinois.

LSU hasn’t looked good when I’ve watched them, but they have talent.

All the 7 seeds look easy, but I also thought that about that about Loyola :/
Yea it’s tough to get a read on the SEC teams. I haven’t watched them much but one time I do I’d hate to see them then the next time I’m thinking these guys aren’t that good.

Well that and the charity stripe's defense was stifling.
Iowa has a propensity to get shook when the opposing crowd is super loud. Happened at the RAC too. They couldn’t hit wide open shots pretty much all game

Reactions: Jaycg15
Iowa has a propensity to get shook when the opposing crowd is super loud. Happened at the RAC too. They couldn’t hit wide open shots pretty much all game
Remember when they didn't call that obvious foul on the last possession?

Missed 10 free throws at Illinois and still should have won it. Refs fvcking us all season.

Remember when they didn't call that obvious foul on the last possession?

Missed 10 free throws at Illinois and still should have won it. Refs fvcking us all season.
Remember when Fran chased a ref down the tunnel and called him a cheating MFer? Or the multiple times Iowa players call out the refs publicly on Twitter?

If I was a ref I’d probably screw over Iowa too

Remember when Fran chased a ref down the tunnel and called him a cheating MFer? Or the multiple times Iowa players call out the refs publicly on Twitter?

If I was a ref I’d probably screw over Iowa too
It’s still amazing to me that they think that helps their case in some way. Leave that stuff to the fans and even the coaches, when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT