ADVERTISEMENT

Official 2022 Transfer Portal Thread

Rasir Bolton and Julian Strawther are both returning to Gonzaga for another year. The Zags were the heavy favorite to land Malachi Smith. This might change things. Don't think anyone expected Rasir Bolton back. Perhaps Texas Tech is the new favorite?
Man louisville could use smith in the worst kinda way, hell he could play 40 mins if he wanted.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Gotcha. And, my post isn't meant as a criticism. Your efforts are wholly appreciated.

It's all good. I like to hear counterpoints to my picks. And I know I'm going to overvalue and undervalue dozens of players every time. Would be pretty boring if everything were perfectly predictable.

Man louisville could use smith in the worst kinda way, hell he could play 40 mins if he wanted.

For sure. Plenty of minutes available at UL. And I'd think Gonzaga's odds would be a bit lower after retaining their starting 2 and 3. Just a matter of whether Malachi Smith wants all the minutes he can handle, or if he wants to play for a contender.

If I were Mark Few, I would present the small ball lineup to him. Have Timme at the 5, Strawther at the 4, and Bolton and Smith can play on the wing - with Hickman at the point (Sallis should get plenty of minutes, too). Not sure I love Gonzaga's lineup if Timme is playing significant minutes alongside Anton Watson or Efton Reid. The spacing would be less than ideal.

For sure. Plenty of minutes available at UL. And I'd think Gonzaga's odds would be a bit lower after retaining their starting 2 and 3. Just a matter of whether Malachi Smith wants all the minutes he can handle, or if he wants to play for a contender.

If I were Mark Few, I would present the small ball lineup to him. Have Timme at the 5, Strawther at the 4, and Bolton and Smith can play on the wing - with Hickman at the point (Sallis should get plenty of minutes, too). Not sure I love Gonzaga's lineup if Timme is playing significant minutes alongside Anton Watson or Efton Reid. The spacing would be less than ideal.
That sounds like a defensive nightmare tho. No rim protector, timmer terrible on pnr D. I bet watson(i think is his name) starts at the 4.

good point on the spacing, but timme cane stretch the floor. Guess they could always outscore ppl but defensively that 4 guard lineup looks putrid imo

That sounds like a defensive nightmare tho. No rim protector, timmer terrible on pnr D. I bet watson(i think is his name) starts at the 4.

good point on the spacing, but timme cane stretch the floor. Guess they could always outscore ppl but defensively that 4 guard lineup looks putrid imo

Yeah, Timme can sort of space the floor as a facilitator. He has nice touch from maybe 13-16 feet. Doesn't have a very reliable jumper from beyond the three-point line, however. And neither do Watson or Reid. Chet was the perfect big to place alongside Timme. Good shooter from the outside, and a heckuva a rim protector.

Small lineup will hurt rim protection and defensive rebounding for the Zags. I will say, Malachi Smith ain't too shabby on the boards, though. A career rebounding percentage of 12.4% is solid for a guard - would be roughly 6 boards per 30 minutes (higher rate than Strawther). But, a big lineup is going to hurt spacing. Because both lineups present inherent weaknesses, I can't say I'm completely sold on this Gonzaga team. Pete Nance may have complimented Timme better than any big in the portal. Guess I should give Few the benefit of the doubt, though. He knows this stuff a lot better than I do.

Yea they are definitely gonna be loaded. I mean a kid like Smith coulda started for us and played 35mpg, and he will likely come off the bench for gonzaga.

@dukedevilz do you think the 2023 pg proctor reclassifying will take yall out of the ramey sweepstakes, or is ramey being recruited to replace keels? I know we are on his massive list and he was once committed here before pitino got fired. At this point im just desperate for guards, weve got el ellis, and rs frosh mike james 6”5 coming off a torn achilles whose more of a 3 imo anyways. Hopefully as can lamd bates once we hire the rocnation dude in june but who knows.

Also i would be very suprised if timme didnt add a perimeter shot this offseason, its the only thing offensively he cant do.

hell weve got videos of soph 6”11 rose wheeler working on his outside shot, not to mention oscar at uk hinted that thats something hes gonna try and add as well.

Just like the nba, the massive back to the basket center that cant score outside 8 ft is gonna go extint before too long. Edey might be the last we see.

I'd be supremely surprised if we landed Ramey at this point. Is UL going after him?

Has anyone lost more talent through the portal over the past few years than Oklahoma? They could have had a top 5/10 team with all of the transfers they lost. Alondes Williams was ACC POY. McGusty was 1st Team All-Conference. Manek was a 15 ppg scorer on a team in the title game. Harmon and Bieniemy were both double-digit scorers and quality shooters. Kuath is an extraordinary rim protector - 2.5 blocks in only 19 minutes per games.

This Oklahoma Transfer team would be alright. During crunch time, I'd probably move Manek to the 5, take Kuath out, and insert Bieniemy into the lineup for more shooting and spacing opportunities.

oklahoma-transfers.png

I'm excited for the day when we'll see someone play for 6 different schools. With a free COVID year + medical redshirt, it's actually quite possible.

Has anyone lost more talent through the portal over the past few years than Oklahoma? They could have had a top 5/10 team with all of the transfers they lost. Alondes Williams was ACC POY. McGusty was 1st Team All-Conference. Manek was a 15 ppg scorer on a team in the title game. Harmon and Bieniemy were both double-digit scorers and quality shooters. Kuath is an extraordinary rim protector - 2.5 blocks in only 19 minutes per games.

This Oklahoma Transfer team would be alright. During crunch time, I'd probably move Manek to the 5, take Kuath out, and insert Bieniemy into the lineup for more shooting and spacing opportunities.

oklahoma-transfers.png
too bad they all sucked when they were freshmen or else Trae might've made some noise in the tourney.

too bad they all sucked when they were freshmen or else Trae might've made some noise in the tourney.

Kind of crazy that McGusty and Manek were starting on the 2018 team.

Even if they got by Rhode Island, they would have been crushed by Duke's frontline in the Round of 32.

Kind of crazy that McGusty and Manek were starting on the 2018 team.

Even if they got by Rhode Island, they would have been crushed by Duke's frontline in the Round of 32.
naw, they would've beat Duke. Coach K was still there shitting the bed in 2018.

We need two more guards badly.
Hopefully bates will be one, no clue on the other.

hopefully we reach out to the kid who just decommitted from oregon, dior johnson, but idk if he wants to leave the west coast or not.

But yea we need backcourt bodies desperately.

Lk, I like Grandison.

Love what he brings to Duke (on paper)

Bates could flourish at a new destination. Some guys just need a change of scenery. Then again it is also possible he was just overrated and even as a younger FR got destroyed and won't really recover.

I thought he might end up @ the Ville but since that hasn't happened by now maybe that ship has sailed.

Bates could flourish at a new destination. Some guys just need a change of scenery.

This is true. 247 actually has him rated as the top rated transfer. Not just available transfer, but all transfers that entered the portal this year. My gut says he's still cancerous to team morale. But, a change of scenery can do wonders for some players.

This is true. 247 actually has him rated as the top rated transfer. Not just available transfer, but all transfers that entered the portal this year. My gut says he's still cancerous to team morale. But, a change of scenery can do wonders for some players.
@lurkeraspect84 was really dialed in with everything Memphis last year. I know they had a lot of issues, and yes it sure did look like their arrow went up when Bates was sidelined and reduced. That was an extremely talented team. I wonder if too many egos maybe a clash between vets and FR?

Either way good luck to him maybe his fam is just too invested and the kid just needs a low ring level to just play ball and have fun and see if he can get results.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Kerwin Walton committed to Texas Tech.

Tar Heels, what can you tell me? I already know a little about him. Curious if he just got passed by better talent or if there is something else?

sympathy cards? It would be the best thing to happen to our team in a very long time

Tag me in a year and let's see where he is. Just seems like his ego can easily drag a team down. Memphis played waaay better when he wasn't playing.

Also, you guys had Max Strus and Paul Reed on the same team not that long ago.

I'm hearing Bates and UL has cooled off. tifwiw Hearing a smaller school. Also don't count out Seton Hall. Word on the streets is he's going to develop instead of being thrusted into the spotlight again.

*Family is dealing with humility. Goal is still the NBA, but not the fast track anymore.

Tag me in a year and let's see where he is. Just seems like his ego can easily drag a team down. Memphis played waaay better when he wasn't playing.

Also, you guys had Max Strus and Paul Reed on the same team not that long ago.
Bates by himself is a great kid. It's the ballsack he came from. Penny didn't want him playing point. Ballsack insisted. Also, his time off wasn't injury but him going back home (who goes home dealing with an injury), and dad holding him hostage to get Penny to cave. Good luck to whoever gets him. Great kid, tons of talent, but not at point. Forturnally Dad has seen the error or his ways. He won't be the same player somewhere else as he was in Memphis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT