ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

I was on that diet from the ages of 18-28. It wasn’t a good look, but it sure was fun
Quitter.

I don’t either, but I can make an educated guess. Purdue won’t be a top half of the league team and will be a bubble team. You lose most of your scoring. You lose most of your experience. You lose pretty much everyone. You don’t have any immediate impact players coming in. You don’t have a lot of difference makers coming back outside of Edwards.

Was the Not Top Half of the B1G on the bubble this year?
Because it seems like you are covering your ass hedging your bet.

losing 4 Seniors and Purdue fans saying next years team will be better. time will tell if Carson goes pro.

Which Purdue poster predicted/s they'll be "better"?

Reactions: pig1960 and otte21
If an objective person knew much about this Purdue team they would know this matchup was a bad one, without Haas even worse. Long , athletic teams have given them problems for couple years......add in TTs good defense and you have a real uphill battle. Call it what you will, we had to play a clean game and be competitive on the boards, in addition to shooting the three well. Didn't happen, some is on us and some credit goes to TT. I know dumptrucked sounds best to you.
So, uh, because I said you got dumptrucked that means I’m not objective? It was pretty clear that TT was a bad matchup for y’all. Their athleticism was apparent from tip off and obviously a problem for guys like Mathias. Their switching all screens really hurt you guys. Their defense cause me a ton of turnovers. All of this doesn’t change that you guys got dumptrucked and I would say under performed based on what we heard from Purdue fans all year...

TBS TipOff show just gave a hearty burn to Nebraskaball..

Nebraska spent all season trying to live up to Monmouth's lofty standards (talking about the bench show), maybe if they put this much practice into playing basketball, we'd still be watching them in March..

giphy.gif

Reactions: KisteK
Quitter.

Got engaged. I was forced to go to the doctor and the doctor scared me so I dropped the weight. Still enjoy my beer though

Quitter.

No that’s for next year. I’m good with what I said. They lose four four year starters. It’s not crazy to think they’ll struggle next year.

You think he’s going to meaningfully contribute? He’s a poor man’s Mathias. He’s not athletic. He’s not quick. He can’t get his own shot. He’s not great defensively. He’s a spot up shooter. That’s it. He’ll hit some three’s, but he’s not going to be anything much at all.
He is Mathias, except on defense. That works in this offense.
I expect the offense to change somewhat, but there will always be a productive spot for a Cline.

No that’s for next year. I’m good with what I said. They lose four four year starters. It’s not crazy to think they’ll struggle next year.
And it's not crazy to think you're bat shit crazy to think they can be 8th or lower and still be a bubbler..

MSU looks to be down (compared to this season)
Purdue, same
Ohio State depends on wtf happens with KBD
Michigan oozes if Wagner stays, still look good without
Indy, young
Maryland, I have no idea who stays/goes..
??

And it's not crazy to think you're bat shit crazy to think they can be 8th or lower and still be a bubbler..

Purdue, same
Indy, young
??

Nobody @ Maryland has a clue who is leaving/staying either. Homeboard is in a tizzy because Bruno removed the class of 22 from his instagram profile.

Reactions: KisteK and klize17
So, uh, because I said you got dumptrucked that means I’m not objective? It was pretty clear that TT was a bad matchup for y’all. Their athleticism was apparent from tip off and obviously a problem for guys like Mathias. Their switching all screens really hurt you guys. Their defense cause me a ton of turnovers. All of this doesn’t change that you guys got dumptrucked and I would say under performed based on what we heard from Purdue fans all year...
Sorry, I don't accept your version of what Purdue fans said all year. You tend to exaggerate....... and I'm sorry to blow your cover, but you're not objective about Purdue. I'm sure you'll deflect to whatever predictions you made that came true, doesn't mean you're objective.
I'd be happy to say we underperformed if we lost with Haas, will never know.

Purdue, same
Indy, young
??
Iowa returns the most. Ellingson avg 11 mpg in 26 games and 2.3 ppg is what Iowa lost when he left. part of that mythical 10-11 man rotation.

Wagner avg 9.1 mpg in 30 games, 1.7 ppg as part of that mythical 10-11 man rotation.

the biggest addition who might have helped is PG Connor. then there will be a fully healthy Baer returning to be the 6th man, as the 6th man there are very few that are better. as a Starter no way as he is just not a starter.

with 6'5 Connor, Bohannon could have played at the 2. or the other way around this would have allowed Moss to play the 3 where he started as a FR.

I always thought it was weird that grown men in their 40s and 50s follow college kids on instagram and twitter.

Actual players I can kind of understand, but recruits no way. Tweeting at a recruit go hang yourself. The famous so and so recruits girlfriend is going to school A so that is in play. Why in the **** do you know one who recruit is dating two where they are going to school.

Reactions: bMORE607
Iowa returns the most. Ellingson avg 11 mpg in 26 games and 2.3 ppg is what Iowa lost when he left. part of that mythical 10-11 man rotation.

Wagner avg 9.1 mpg in 30 games, 1.7 ppg as part of that mythical 10-11 man rotation.

the biggest addition who might have helped is PG Connor. then there will be a fully healthy Baer returning to be the 6th man, as the 6th man there are very few that are better. as a Starter no way as he is just not a starter.

with 6'5 Connor, Bohannon could have played at the 2. or the other way around this would have allowed Moss to play the 3 where he started as a FR.
Where do you project they finish?
5-8 range?
6-10?

I liked Iowa's roster this season.. Young, but talented.
Bit me right in the ass.. Jumped off that burning bandwagon after only losing a few bucks.. But they were the bigger type.

Actual players I can kind of understand, but recruits no way. Tweeting at a recruit go hang yourself. The famous so and so recruits girlfriend is going to school A so that is in play. Why in the **** do you know one who recruit is dating two where they are going to school.

The worst is when they don’t commit to your school and fans send insane hate tweets with the occasional death threat.

Reactions: klize17
5-8 range?
6-10?

Bit me right in the ass.. Jumped off that burning bandwagon after only losing a few bucks.. But they were the bigger type.
won't even think about it till the dust settles on who leaves and/or transfers in as Fran might bring in 2 grad transfers.

this includes the other BT teams, the 2nd signing period does not start till April.

this is when Williams should have quit as that would have allowed Fran to replace him before summer.

Next year?

Top 25

Maryland - as long as both Jackson and Bruno don't leave
Michigan - even if Wagner leaves
Michigan State - unless Ward splits with Bridges and Jackson

Bubble teams making field

Indiana - cusp top 25 if they get Langford
Nebraska - provided nobody bolts
Penn State - need Carr
Wisconsin - need Happ

NIT

Ohio State - need an impact grad transfer to push for NCAA
Purdue - see Ohio State
Minnesota

No postseason

Northwestern
Iowa - sorry Gil
Illinois
Rutgers

I believe the bottom half will be much better than this year, but the top teams won't match this season.

Reactions: northeastspartan

You were the one telling me I was a bad fan for saying that those 2 weren't going to be important to the future of Iowa basketball yet now you are basically saying they aren't important. My God. By this point I should expect it, but still...

5-8 range?
6-10?

Sorry about that. Provided there are no more changes to the roster as it is now, I will say they finish in the lower half but closer to 7 than 14. For once gil is right in that I will wait until later to make my official prediction

Next year?

Top 25

Penn State - need Carr
Wisconsin - need Happ

NIT

Purdue - see Ohio State
Minnesota

No postseason

Northwestern
Iowa - sorry Gil
Illinois
Rutgers

I believe the bottom half will be much better than this year, but the top teams won't match this season.
Thought league would be better next year, but it'll probaby suck again

Next year?

Top 25

Penn State - need Carr
Wisconsin - need Happ

NIT

Purdue - see Ohio State
Minnesota

No postseason

Northwestern
Iowa - sorry Gil
Illinois
Rutgers

If we don't make the tourney Pitino is probably gone. I think we can if Pitino can get another guard that can contribute right away, this Spring.

Next year?

Top 25

Penn State - need Carr
Wisconsin - need Happ

NIT

Purdue - see Ohio State
Minnesota

No postseason

Northwestern
Iowa - sorry Gil
Illinois
Rutgers

yeah I forget that Iowa's 4* players are all trash. as this falls team could have 5 4* players starting, with a 6th coming off the bench, Bohannon barring injury will be 100% AFTER a year of playing with of playing with what was called Plantia foot injury.

in the 1st 26 games he had 11 steals then in the last 7 games he had 11 more, his speed and athletic ability all improved.

this last season Bohannon became the 1st player reguardless of position in the last 25 years to record back to back seasons of 170+ assists and 80+ made 3's.

just think what he will do fully healthy and having another PG on the team.
#42 4* SG/WG Wieskamp provides that 5th starter and Wieskamp was just the 2nd player in the state of Iowa to be named the Gatorade POY as a JR then as a SR. then named the Iowa Mr. BB joining 5* Harrison Barnes.

Wieskamps season numbers. 33.5 ppg, 1.33 spg, 1.25 bpg, 1.54 apg, 55.5% from the field, 34.5% from 3 as he was more of a inside scorer and 84.5% from the FTL, doing that with no shot clock and constantly being DBL Teamed and at time triple teamed as he carried his team.

Next year?

Top 25

Penn State - need Carr
Wisconsin - need Happ

NIT

Purdue - see Ohio State
Minnesota

No postseason

Northwestern
Iowa - sorry Gil
Illinois
Rutgers

Most likely OSU will suffer next year because of Matta’s 2 lost recruiting years. But Yeah if they get a good grad transfer or 2 along with a very good recruiting class they already have, could be better than expected.

here is some info on incoming G Fredrick
he comes from Cincinnati his HS coach at Covington Cathlotic Ruthsath a former Assistant coach to Bobby Hurly SR,
Covington Catholic was ranked #25 by USA Sports in the nations HS. he also had offers from Xavier and Cincinnati, some are comparing him to Hinrich who ended up the 7th pick in the NBA Draft after his SR year,

Fredrick @ 6'4 is listed as a PG but is a do it all guard he can shoot the 3, he has something that has become a lost art in he has a great stop and pop shot in the 8-15' range rather than bulling his way to the basket.
his passing is another strong suit as is his defense, since Kentucky does not have classes per se he led his small school to the State Championship and earned MVP Honor and that #25 National HS ranking.

if he is half as good as Hinrich Fran will have a very good players, growing up in Cincinnati till his FR year he learned how to play BB on the streets of Cincinnati Ohio.

Next year?

If IU lands Langford, they will be better than a "cusp" Top 25 team. IMO, they'll be a Top 25, fringe team w/o him. Return Morgan, SMith, Green, Davis, Durham and yes...McRoberts. A really nice class led by Top 50 Jerome Hunter. Add 4* recruits Robert Phinisee(PG) and 4^ Damezi Anderson(SG) and they'll be filling needs with solid players.

IU with Langford? IMO, they'll contend for the Big 10. He is that good.

5-8 range?
6-10?

More like 11-14 next year. It’s Iowa after all.

More like 11-14 next year. It’s Iowa after all.
Wisconsin only succeeded after Davis was run off. Fran had to rebuild the whole program up from the foundation, the 1st 6 years the state of Iowa only had 2 4* players instate, Woodbury was 1 and the other was Paige who went to UNC. now the state has produced these since by ESPN
Bohannon
Connor
Wieskamp
Green who went to UNI
with these in the Future 2019
Patrick top 35 by Rivals and ESPN
Carton top 100 by Rival NR by ESPN
2020 5* Foster

then Fran is starting to get 4* players from outside the state
Moss out of Simeon HS in Chicago
Cook out of Missouri
Garza out of Washington DC

also there were injuries to key players to start the season. this is why there were 3 SO's and 2 FR that made up the top 5 scorers.

the problem is way to many expected them to play like JR's and SR's that or 1 n done 5* players, next season as of now there will be these by class

RSSR Baer
RSJR Moss
JR Bohannon
JR Dailey
JR Pemsl
JR Kriener
JR Cook
SO Garza
SO Nunge
RSFR Connor
FR Fredrick
FR Wieskamp

to put it more clearly these 4* players under Fran seasons by year.
FR 9-9 BT 6th alone
SO 9-9 BT 6th alone
JR 12-6 BT T-3rd
SR 12-6 BT T-3rd

this new group
FR 10-8 T-5th
SO 4-14 T-12 this group did not have any senior leadership like the others did in Marble or White
with 1 SR and 6 JR's the future looks to be repeating itself, with one difference the future recruiting will keep the program from dropping.

He is Mathias, except on defense. That works in this offense.
I expect the offense to change somewhat, but there will always be a productive spot for a Cline.
No way. Not at all. Completely disagree. I havent seen much out of Cline outside of spot up shooting.

Purdue, same
Indy, young
??
Uh, what? If they’re 8th or 9th they’re not going to be on the bubble. If they’re 6th or 7th they’re probably going to be in bubble talks or close to it.

Uh, what? If they’re 8th or 9th they’re not going to be on the bubble. If they’re 6th or 7th they’re probably going to be in bubble talks or close to it.

Uh whut?
"won't be top half" = 8th or worse

If they're 6th or 7th, you were wrong.

Next season doesn't look to be trending up for the conference overall (yet)..
But, it wouldn't be the craziest turnaround .. I suppose. Could be a juggernaut.

CrazyEyes.gif

also there were injuries to key players to start the season. this is why there were 3 SO's and 2 FR that made up the top 5 scorers.

the problem is way to many expected them to play like JR's and SR's that or 1 n done 5* players, next season as of now there will be these by class

RSSR Baer
RSJR Moss
JR Bohannon
JR Dailey
JR Pemsl
JR Kriener
JR Cook
SO Garza
SO Nunge
RSFR Connor
FR Fredrick
FR Wieskamp

to put it more clearly these 4* players under Fran seasons by year.
FR 9-9 BT 6th alone
SO 9-9 BT 6th alone
JR 12-6 BT T-3rd
SR 12-6 BT T-3rd

this new group
FR 10-8 T-5th
SO 4-14 T-12 this group did not have any senior leadership like the others did in Marble or White
with 1 SR and 6 JR's the future looks to be repeating itself, with one difference the future recruiting will keep the program from dropping.

Holy fvck. Michigan is currently playing in a great game. Relax on the Iowa crap

Sorry, I don't accept your version of what Purdue fans said all year. You tend to exaggerate....... and I'm sorry to blow your cover, but you're not objective about Purdue. I'm sure you'll deflect to whatever predictions you made that came true, doesn't mean you're objective.
I'd be happy to say we underperformed if we lost with Haas, will never know.
I’m not objective but I pegged Purdue spot on this year? Weird.

Florida State player gets bumped on drive, no call, Florida State player going for ensuing rebound is shoved, no call, and Robinson gets layup at other end. Lmao

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT