ADVERTISEMENT

Nova, MSU, Duke

09 unc was destroyed by the 08 jayhawks. No dispute on 2015 UK or Duke.

Fans like you keep bringing that up and KU has how many titles? Since 08 UNC has 2 titles and has been to back to back final 4’s. KU is long overdue to do something significant and if they don’t it’s people like you going to compare a KU team to 2 UNC teams which is crazy.

We may have a smaller margin of error than the faster paced teams but we're also 14-1 against the ACC this year and 25-2 overall. We have shown that we can win 6 straight games against good competition. 67 teams don't win 6 straight games in the tourney every year. That doesn't mean there's an inherent flaw in their strategy.

Every single team has flaws. We lack the offensive talent to run up the floor with the elite programs. But our strategy allows us to win games even when we don't score or have poor shooting nights. If a team like Duke has an off shooting night, they have no chance to win because they can't keep the other team from scoring.

I just don't see how a strategy can be so successful in the regular season but be considered such a flop in the postseason, especially when based on such a small sample size in which we've sustained significant injuries each year. But I also know all that matters for us going forward is how we perform in the tourney so the criticism is fair.

I'm not a Kansas fan so I can't help you there, sorry.

Reactions: jhmossy
The field is awful this year though.
The field is relatively stronger this year than any year because of parity. Also, the top 3 (the alleged top 3 you posted) is the weakest top 3 maybe ever. In short, you're wrong, but that's nothing new.

I know you love Kenpom, and MSU and Duke are both above Zona and Purdue in Kenpom. So why would you give them a greater chance
Purdue should have beat MSU at MSU. They weren't quite out of their slump yet. They are getting better, but not having V. Edwards right now doesn't help.

I think it would be an interesting matchup. Don't know if Michigan State could guard Alexander. Same thing with UK and Bridges though.

Is Alexander a good defender? Seems like Quade Green still plays a significant amount of minutes. If he's in, he's probably the one guarding Winston.

Who from UK would most likely be on JJJ?

Just pray to Yahweh that you don't run into MSU in the tourney again brah. They're a bad matchup for the Hoos again.

Yeah I know. They’d rape us.

Hope they get a 1-seed.

Purdue should have beat MSU at MSU. They weren't quite out of their slump yet. They are getting better, but not having V. Edwards right now doesn't help.
How so. Saying they should have won is silly. They lost. Fair and square. Purdue didn’t shoot a lot of three’s because of the way we defended them, let Haas one on one us but don’t let their shooters get open looks.

Reactions: northeastspartan
Fans like you keep bringing that up and KU has how many titles? Since 08 UNC has 2 titles and has been to back to back final 4’s. KU is long overdue to do something significant and if they don’t it’s people like you going to compare a KU team to 2 UNC teams which is crazy.

It will be another ten years for KU but you lost me.

He mentioned them specifically and Dean had his stretch that KU is currently is in.
08 KU >09 UNC.

How so. Saying they should have won is silly. They lost. Fair and square. Purdue didn’t shoot a lot of three’s because of the way we defended them, let Haas one on one us but don’t let their shooters get open looks.

Yeah I don't get. Other Purdue posters on this board said that was the best the team had played all year, yet they still lost...

Yes, that's what MSU did was take away the 3, but Purdue didn't really try to get it's shooters looks, which they've started doing again finally. Not sure why they just let teams take that away from them. They are much better not running the entire offense through Haas.

Man, I think I ****ed up. KU is my only hope. Duke is the real deal.
Yep, be prepared to rock this avatar after the national championship game on April 3rd.

usatsi_9671950-copy.jpg

Reactions: tw3301
Man, I think I ****ed up. KU is my only hope. Duke is the real deal.
You know its bad when your only hope is a team coached by Bill Self.

I would be more bullish on UVA or Purdue if I were you.

Bignish, judgingby your posts ITT, its very apparent you have not watched much of Michigan State.

They have a losing record against tournament teams for a reason. When they play good teams, alot has to go right for them as far as running good on jump shots and also avoiding foul trouble to 2 players specifically.

They were down 27 to Northwestern(water trash NW!) because Bridges and Jackson were in foul trouble.

This isnt some deeply talented team like say Duke who has talent at every position.

This is 2 elite players, 2 good players, and a bunch of below average players surrounding them.
This sounds a lot like a Gilligan post. I think you are the only person in the country who doesn't think MSU is really good, and a top 3 team. You can't even think straight MSU triggers you so much.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
The field is relatively stronger this year than any year because of parity. Also, the top 3 (the alleged top 3 you posted) is the weakest top 3 maybe ever. In short, you're wrong, but that's nothing new.
Again, parity between a bunch of mediocre teams is irrelevant since they're not true contenders anyway.

What makes MSU, Duke and Nova weak this year in your mind vs past title teams? Nova has a NPOY PG and a stud wing, MSU has an elite shooting/passing PG/stud wing/stud big man and Duke has 2 elite big men and 2 very good guards.

These teams are stacked.

This sounds a lot like a Gilligan post. I think you are the only person in the country who doesn't think MSU is really good, and a top 3 team. You can't even think straight MSU triggers you so much.
giphy.gif
The truth to this.

Jimbo, who you got winning it and how long is your list of contenders?
Seriously have no idea, man. I think any of the three you listed have great chances, I just wouldn't take them over the field. I think you are underestimating some of the teams that would be in said field. Duke, MSU, and Nova are all elite, but they aren't so much better than everyone else that I would take them over the field. JMO

Seriously have no idea, man. I think any of the three you listed have great chances, I just wouldn't take them over the field. I think you are underestimating some of the teams that would be in said field. Duke, MSU, and Nova are all elite, but they aren't so much better than everyone else that I would take them over the field. JMO
Besides the 8 main contenders (Duke, Nova, MSU, UVA, KU, Xavier, UNC, Purdue), I can only see 4 other teams even having a remote chance to make a run for the national title if everything clicks for them: Gonzaga, Kentucky, Arizona and Michigan.

I just see a huge difference between MSU, Duke, Nova and teams like Kansas and Xavier. Heck, Nova's blown out Xavier twice now already.

Nish, I got you for a hundo, u in? You have those 3 teams and I get the field. Pay up day after either one of us loses.

Besides the 8 main contenders (Duke, Nova, MSU, UVA, KU, Xavier, UNC, Purdue), I can only see 4 other teams even having a remote chance to make a run for the national title if everything clicks for them: Gonzaga, Kentucky, Arizona and Michigan.

I just see a huge difference between MSU, Duke, Nova and teams like Kansas and Xavier. Heck, Nova's blown out Xavier twice now already.
See, I don’t, exclude Xavier. I don’t think much of them. But I don’t see a huge difference between a Duke and Kentucky or a Duke and Kansas. Duke is better than both, but not by a lot.

That's exactly how IU defended them too, and a lot of teams the second half of the conference season.

Duke has some offensive issues. That's becoming grossly apparent. Feels like they've been struggling to hit 65 or 70 points for a bit as of late. Three point shooting is a serious issue too.

If Duke runs into a talented team that can eat up their zone defense, they may get f***ed in the tournament. Syracuse, Louisville, and Virginia Tech don't have the dudes, but you have to imagine that if Duke runs into a team with any truly elite offensive talented, they're in serious trouble. Their defensive improvement as a whole is real, but it will take one team that can beat a zone.

Duke has some offensive issues. That's becoming grossly apparent. Feels like they've been struggling to hit 65 or 70 points for a bit as of late. Three point shooting is a serious issue too.

If Duke runs into a talented team that can eat up their zone defense, they may get f***ed in the tournament. Syracuse, Louisville, and Virginia Tech don't have the dudes, but you have to imagine that if Duke runs into a team with any truly elite offensive talented, they're in serious trouble. Their defensive improvement as a whole is real, but it will take one team that can beat a zone.

It’s ok, he still has MSU and Nova

See, I don’t, exclude Xavier. I don’t think much of them. But I don’t see a huge difference between a Duke and Kentucky or a Duke and Kansas. Duke is better than both, but not by a lot.
Come on Jimbo, don't be a Blue Blood snob. Xavier is a very good team and while I agree that they're probably not a major contender to win it all, they're a better team than Kentucky. Pretty much all the advanced polls back this up.

I don't see UK or Cincy as being the type of teams to give Duke too much trouble. Efficient offenses with elite shooters like Villanova, Purdue, MSU and Marquette are more worrisome if the Duke offense sputters.

Have you watched this Duke team play besides last night? Gary Trent is a 44% 3 PT shooter and Allen is solid as well. Carter is suprisingly a 50% 3 PT shooter as well.

Turnovers and bad free throw shooting (bigs and Duval) are a much bigger concern for Duke.

With how good our defense has been though, I like our chances against anyone before the Final 4 unless we have an atrocious shooting day like yesterday.

Come on Jimbo, don't be a Blue Blood snob. Xavier is a very good team and while I agree that they're probably not a major contender to win it all, they're a better team than Kentucky. Pretty much all the advanced polls back this up.

I don't see UK or Cincy as being the type of teams to give Duke too much trouble. Efficient offenses with elite shooters like Villanova, Purdue, MSU and Marquette are more worrisome if the Duke offense sputters.
I'm convinced UK has turned a corner, and actually we match up well with Duke. We have the length to bother almost every position and a number of big bodies to throw at Carter and Bagley. We also hit 10 threes in the last game and have been murdering opponents on the boards during this win streak. I think you are being a tad bit of a Duke homer ITT.

I'm convinced UK has turned a corner, and actually we match up well with Duke. We have the length to bother almost every position and a number of big bodies to throw at Carter and Bagley. We also hit 10 threes in the last game and have been murdering opponents on the boards during this win streak. I think you are being a tad bit of a Duke homer ITT.
We went through this same song and dance when UK came roaring back vs WVU. They've looked better in the past few games but who have they really played?

Given both defenses are very good to elite, I don't see UK being able to keep up with Duke offensively.

Duke is #47 in the country in 3P FG% and UK is #200.
Duke is #22 in the country in 2P FG% and UK is #144.

ADVERTISEMENT