ADVERTISEMENT

Nice win for Allen Fieldhouse

Yes. I've been guilty of the same watching teams play UNC! Not that I even have anything against UNC, I just like watching upsets when they aren't my team.

Yes, Marcus was the worst flopper ever. Haven't watched him much in the NBA. Is he still as bad as he was?

No, not as bad as he was in college. NBA flops but officials do a better job about not calling irrelevant contact to me so it doesn't benefit him as much.

How many do you theorize they’d have if they got a whistle like Kentucky?
Rupp has no where near the home court advantage as Allen Fieldhouse...not even close. Yes, our fans get up for the big games, but other than that, the environment is weak.

KU fans bring it every game, and that is a credit to them. I just think it does a disservice to the team in the tournament when they aren't getting all the ridiculous calls they become accustomed to getting throughout the season.

Reactions: Yet Another UK Fan
I won’t pretend that UK doesn’t get biased whistle at Rupp. This call in particular was really bad, even for college officiating.

I have always had a theory that there is a reason KU only has 4 championships in their entire history...

These ridiculous home whistles they get year after year are actually a disadvantage when they get to the tourney, as they don't get the benefit of all these ridiculous calls which they become accustomed to getting in the regular season.
I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that KU's Final Fours and title game appearances are up there with most blue bloods. The difference between KU having 4 titles or 7/8 is only a few points. They've just lost a few close games in the title game. I wouldn't say it's ever been about fouls. Besides which, every analysis on the topic has shown that KU is almost always in the bottom half of the Big XII in foul disparity. As many calls as we get at home, we get the shaft on the road.

Calls have not been KU's issue in the tournament. KU got plenty of calls against Syracuse. They shot under 50% from three, and McNamara hit like 8 three pointers and had the best game of his career. And KU still only lost by 3. That was a good old fashioned choke job and one player playing out of his mind. Most of KU's "upsets" have been due to unreal three point shooting performances, not fouls.

Though we have lost a few notable ones due to not getting calls, the EE game against VCU being one of the more notable, where they slapped and threw elbows all game and the officials refused to call anything. But that's more of a sign of modern basketball than anything. Big men do not get calls in the tourney, and KU used to center their teams around post play. Which works in the regular season, but not in the tourney when refs swallow the whistle due to time constraints. Tournament officiating favors guard play. This is why Purdue has struggled so much in the tourney, and other big-men oriented teams have struggled come tourney time. The NCAA tourney doesn't bode well for teams that center their game around post play. It was after 2011 or 2012 that Self started to move towards smaller teams as he saw how it was playing out. This year's KU team is an anomaly in that regard. I don't think Self intended to center the team around post play, but our guard play has been so bad outside of McCullar and Harris, that he's had no choice but to rely on post play this year, which is why I don't see them making the FF this year and they're likely a huge risk for an early exit.

It’s OK to admit Kansas was bailed out by the officials and gifted a win they didn’t really deserve. Everyone saw it. It’s a hot topic nationally right now.

Funny how everyone refers to the Twitterverse as a cesspool until they say something you agree with. Then they're the ultimate authority on the matter. 🤣

Whine about that call all you want, but only mouthbreathers think that questionable calls only happen to teams visiting AFH.

1 minute earlier, TCU was "gifted" the lead thanks to a phantom foul on Adams. Even the TCU player was smirking after. No mention of this, of course. Haters aren't hard to fathom.

Last edited:
I won’t pretend that UK doesn’t get biased whistle at Rupp. This call in particular was really bad, even for college officiating.
Jay Right and Seth seem to think it was the right call.

I thought it was a bad call at first, but it is technically the right call according to the rule book, so once they reviewed it they didn't have much choice but to call it. They also showed a different angle after the game and it definitely looked more legit from that angle, rather than the one they showed during the game. So I guess kudos to Hunter for selling it. As for the fast break, as Seth explained after the game, once the TCU player turned around and stopped running, the officials were able to blow the whistle. If he'd kept running with the ball, they wouldn't have been able to call the play dead.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Funny how everyone refers to the Twitterverse as a cesspool until they say something you agree with. Then they're the ultimate authority on the matter. 🤣

Bitch about that call all you want, but only mouthbreathers think that questionable calls only happen to visiting teams in AFH. One minute earlier, TCU was "gifted" the lead due to a phantom foul on Adams. Even the TCU player was smirking after. No mention of this, of course. Haters aren't hard to fathom. 🤣
It’s why I only look to see the pulse of national media, particularly those who have played. There is some value in their opinions IMO.

The rest of Twitter is a cesspool!

• Haha

I thought it was a bad call at first, but it is technically the right call according to the rule book, so once they reviewed it they didn't have much choice but to call it. They also showed a different angle after the game and it definitely looked more legit from that angle, rather than the one they showed during the game. So I guess kudos to Hunter for selling it. As for the fast break, as Seth explained after the game, once the TCU player turned around and stopped running, the officials were able to blow the whistle. If he'd kept running with the ball, they wouldn't have been able to call the play dead.
I respect Jays opinion. I just didn’t see anything intentional about the play. It doesn’t take anything away from KU. They’ll be right there at the end of the year.

No, no.....the only explanation for this is that a) the refs know less about the rules than the average Rivals poster, or b) it's a conspiracy.

How else could they perform a lengthy review and still get it "egregiously" wrong?

Last edited:
I have always had a theory that there is a reason KU only has 4 championships in their entire history...

These ridiculous home whistles they get year after year are actually a disadvantage when they get to the tourney, as they don't get the benefit of all these ridiculous calls which they become accustomed to getting in the regular season.
Yep. You're definitely a Kentucky fan. 🤣

I respect Jays opinion. I just didn’t see anything intentional about the play. It doesn’t take anything away from KU. They’ll be right there at the end of the year.
I've always thought it was intentional. It looks to me like the type of shot guys take and give several times a game. I know I did it enough playing in high school and took enough of them. So while I thought it was intentional due to the way he swung down, I didn't think there was much to it. So I just thought it was a small shot the the chops like guys give each other frequently and you could call 6 or 7 of those a game if you wanted.

Though the angle they showed after the game(not sure why they didn't show it during the game) puts me back on the fence about it. It definitely looks more intentional in that clip. But again, you don't like to see games decided by calls like that.

And I'm not so sure KU will be there at the end of the year. They need to improve defensively(play more consistent anyway), and need somebody to step up offensively outside of KJ, McCullar, & Hunter. Harris shows flashes, but he's always showed flashes, only to disappear for several games. Elmarko is a good athlete, but can't shoot to save his life, Furphy can shoot and is a good athlete, but probably has a foul for every 2 minutes he spends on the court, and McDowell has potential, but is too raw to depend on right now. Then there's Braun who is a mid-major player and is there only to give Hunter a desperately needed breather now and again. But the turnovers is really what has been astonishing with this team lately. They don't seem to know how to throw into the post and make so many bad passes to the key that it's near impossible to run the high-low.

I'm not necessarily defending the call, but a flagrant can be unintentional.

I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that KU's Final Fours and title game appearances are up there with most blue bloods. The difference between KU having 4 titles or 7/8 is only a few points. They've just lost a few close games in the title game. I wouldn't say it's ever been about fouls. Besides which, every analysis on the topic has shown that KU is almost always in the bottom half of the Big XII in foul disparity. As many calls as we get at home, we get the shaft on the road.

Calls have not been KU's issue in the tournament. KU got plenty of calls against Syracuse. They shot under 50% from three, and McNamara hit like 8 three pointers and had the best game of his career. And KU still only lost by 3. That was a good old fashioned choke job and one player playing out of his mind. Most of KU's "upsets" have been due to unreal three point shooting performances, not fouls.

Though we have lost a few notable ones due to not getting calls, the EE game against VCU being one of the more notable, where they slapped and threw elbows all game and the officials refused to call anything. But that's more of a sign of modern basketball than anything. Big men do not get calls in the tourney, and KU used to center their teams around post play. Which works in the regular season, but not in the tourney when refs swallow the whistle due to time constraints. Tournament officiating favors guard play. This is why Purdue has struggled so much in the tourney, and other big-men oriented teams have struggled come tourney time. The NCAA tourney doesn't bode well for teams that center their game around post play. It was after 2011 or 2012 that Self started to move towards smaller teams as he saw how it was playing out. This year's KU team is an anomaly in that regard. I don't think Self intended to center the team around post play, but our guard play has been so bad outside of McCullar and Harris, that he's had no choice but to rely on post play this year, which is why I don't see them making the FF this year and they're likely a huge risk for an early exit.
Just go back to last year dude. Arkansas was beyond physical the entire game. Refs swallowed their whistles, on numerous calls.

Those calls generally are made in KUs favor during the season. Is what it is.

I again, would say having a ridiculous home whistle throughout the year is not advantageous for a team when they hit the tournament. Seeing as how KU gets the best home whistle each year, I see it as a major disadvantage to the team.

Bitch about that call all you want, but only mouthbreathers think that questionable calls only happen to visiting teams in AFH. One minute earlier, TCU was "gifted" the lead due to a phantom foul on Adams. Even the TCU player was smirking after. No mention of this, of course. Haters aren't hard to fathom. 🤣

So you agree that Kansas was gifted the win, and the officials swallowed their whistle when Dickinson clearly travelled on the go-ahead basket.

So you agree that Kansas was gifted the win, and the officials swallowed their whistle when Dickinson clearly travelled on the go-ahead basket.

I haven’t examined the alleged travel. I’m sure Rafters has several investigators on the case though.

Even if there wasn’t a flagrant foul, there was a foul. So KU’s only benefit was getting to keep the ball. While TCU benefited from a phantom foul that gave them the lead a minute earlier. So no, it wasn’t gifted.

If Kentucky were given an extra possession in a close win, would you see it as a gift-wrapped win?

I try to be objective and I really want to say KU deserved to get that call, but man, that was a basketball play, it most certainly was not a flagrant foul.

But, with that being said, teams get calls at home. UK has been given that same gift many times over the years. It is what it is.

Reactions: MGO2022
Just go back to last year dude. Arkansas was beyond physical the entire game. Refs swallowed their whistles, on numerous calls.

I again, would say having a ridiculous home whistle throughout the year is not advantageous for a team when they hit the tournament. Seeing as how KU gets the best home whistle each year, I see it as a major disadvantage to the team.

I’d say the Arkansas outcome had a little more to do with Self’s absence than officiating.

How do you explain that KU wins at a high rate on the road and neutral courts too? Did you know they have the most tourney wins this century and a solid lead over Kentucky? Self’s 4-0 vs UNC, 5-2 vs Duke (none of which were in AFH), 3-1 in Rupp, etc. But I appreciate that you have so much higher expectations for KU than your own program.

Somebody posted numbers a few years ago. I don’t have a link, but I remember that KU’s home foul disparity was lower than both Duke’s and Kentucky’s, and middle of the pack in the Big 12. Every team tends to get a good whistle at home, particularly in front of a raucous crowd. Which brings me to another point. KU plays in far more hostile arenas than any other B12 program. When the average B12 team travels to the average arena, the building is half full with no energy. When KU comes to town, every arena sells out and gets electric. Which, again, influences officiating. As you know, no one has to play in AFH more than once a year, so that’s not really working in KU’s favor longterm.

Sorry if I’m letting too many facts get in the way of a classic Rafters narrative.

Last edited:
I’m gonna be honest, i reacted like everyone else at first, then i watched it again from a few other angles and i think it was the right call. Just didn’t seem like there was a reason for him to fling his off hand back like that. I mean he got flopinson right in the chops.

But i’ll also say, i don’t see them making that call anywhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK
I’d say the Arkansas outcome had a little more to do with Self’s absence than officiating.

How do you explain that KU wins at a high rate on the road and neutral courts too? Did you know they have the most tourney wins this century and a solid lead over Kentucky? Self’s 4-0 vs UNC, 5-2 vs Duke (none of which were in AFH), 3-1 in Rupp, etc. But I appreciate that you have so much higher expectations for KU than your own program.

Somebody posted numbers a few years ago. I don’t have a link, but I remember that KU’s home foul disparity was lower than both Duke’s and Kentucky’s, and middle of the pack in the Big 12. Every team tends to get a good whistle at home, particularly in front of a raucous crowd. Which brings me to another point. KU plays in far more hostile arenas than any other B12 program. When the average B12 team travels to the average arena, the building is half full with no energy. When KU comes to town, every arena sells out and gets electric. Which, again, influences officiating. As you know, no one has to play in AFH more than once a year, so that’s not really working in KU’s favor longterm.

Sorry if I’m letting too many facts get in the way of a classic Rafters narrative.
Eh...we can agree to disagree, not a big deal.

As for your comment about the Arkansas game, wouldn't have mattered if Self coached. The Hogs outmuscled KU in the second half and were much more physical. KU had no one that could play that way last year, in my opinion.

Almost reminds me of the Duke Tennessee tourney game last year. UT absolutely pushed Duke around physically the entire game. Looked like a football game. Refs called nothing, and Duke lost by double digits. Definitely interesting to watch.

I’m gonna be honest, i reacted like everyone else at first, then i watched it again from a few other angles and i think it was the right call. Just didn’t seem like there was a reason for him to fling his off hand back like that. I mean he got flopinson right in the chops.

But i’ll also say, i don’t see them making that call anywhere else.

It’s the right call, but they wouldn’t call it anywhere else? 😆

The ball was infront of Udeh and he elbowed back Hunter in the face. 2 things can be true.1. it was called correctly, it was a FG1. 2. It sucks it decided the game.

Eh...we can agree to disagree, not a big deal.

Again, sorry to let facts get in the way of a narrative you badly want to cling to, but your take holds no water.

As for your comment about the Arkansas game, wouldn't have mattered if Self coached. The Hogs outmuscled KU in the second half and were much more physical. KU had no one that could play that way last year, in my opinion.

Wouldn’t have mattered if they had arguably the top coach in the sport in a 1 point loss? Great take. 🤣

Even Musselman said in the postgame that he was shocked by the lack of adjustments by Norm Roberts in the 2nd half. There’s little doubt in my mind that that lead doesn’t slip away with Self in charge.

Reminder that a certain fanbase fired death threats after a game with zero controversial calls and a 1 foul disparity.

Tells you all you need to know about the kind of officiating they’re used to. 🤣

Again, sorry to let facts get in the way of a narrative you badly want to cling to, but your take holds no water.

Wouldn’t have mattered if they had arguably the top coach in the sport in a 1 point loss? Great take. 🤣

Even Musselman said in the postgame that he was shocked by the lack of adjustments by Norm Roberts in the 2nd half. There’s little doubt in my mind that that lead doesn’t slip away with Self in charge.
Wait a minute...you talking about the same Bill Self that was the coach for tournament games lost to Bucknell, Bradley, Northern Iowa, VCU, blew a 10 point lead in Final minutes to Michigan, lost to Stanford, Wichita St, got their doors blown off by Auburn, USC...

We talkin' about that dude?? Do those facts matter, or only yours?!

Wait a minute...you talking about the same Bill Self that was the coach for tournament games lost to Bucknell, Bradley, Northern Iowa, VCU, blew a 10 point lead in Final minutes to Michigan, lost to Stanford, Wichita St, got their doors blown off by Auburn, USC...

We talkin' about that dude?? Do those facts matter, or only yours?!

So because he’s had some tourney upsets (like every other coach in the nation), he wouldn’t have made a difference in a 1 point game in which they blew a big lead. Who can argue with that logic? 🤣

So because he’s had some tourney upsets (like every other coach in the nation), he wouldn’t have made a difference in a 1 point game in which they blew a big lead. Who can argue with that logic? 🤣
My logic is sound. I just gave you numerous games where Self's teams crapped down their leg to in some cases much lower seeded teams, and in all cases, lower seeded teams. That is not "some" tourney upsets, that is a lot. Where was the great Bill Self in all those games?

What difference did Self make in those games? How do you know KU wouldn't have been down by more against Arkansas with him coaching?

I am afraid it is your logic that is weak dude. It's funny how you give me facts, and say don't let them get in the way of a Rafters narrative.

I give you a boatload of facts, and you say my logic isn't sound. Can't have it both ways.

Reactions: kyjeff1
My logic is sound. I just gave you numerous games where Self's teams crapped down their leg to in some cases much lower seeded teams, and in all cases, lower seeded teams. That is not "some" tourney upsets, that is a lot. Where was the great Bill Self in all those games?

What difference did Self make in those games? How do you know KU wouldn't have been down by more against Arkansas with him coaching?

I am afraid it is your logic that is weak dude. It's funny how you give me facts, and say don't let them get in the way of a Rafters narrative.

I give you a boatload of facts, and you say my logic isn't sound. Can't have it both ways.

“Coach K wouldn’t have made a difference because he lost to Lehigh and Mercer! Where was the great K in those games? Bob Knight wouldn’t have made a difference because he only got past the 2nd round about 30% of the time at Indiana. My logic is sound!”

How do you people tie your shoes? 🤣

• Haha

No. Just check the foul disparities over the season. KU finishes in the bottom half of the Big XII pretty much every year. Yes those calls your way at times at home, but what you don’t realize is those calls go against us on the road. We are always playing in front of a sold out crowd on the road and constantly get beat up. And still usually win.

I don’t know about you , but I’d say Self being out was a big factor.

I try to be objective and I really want to say KU deserved to get that call, but man, that was a basketball play, it most certainly was not a flagrant foul.

But, with that being said, teams get calls at home. UK has been given that same gift many times over the years. It is what it is.
Yep

ADVERTISEMENT