ADVERTISEMENT

New California vs CalExit

Pick a side

• CalExit

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • New California

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
So far I’ve read about a hypothetical tour guide trying to get said tourists to use gender fluid pronouns, and that you wouldn’t want to visit a hot climate (even though it isn’t, which I’ve tried to “bludgeon” that in your head repeatedly) and you’d prefer a cruise in Alaska, because somehow that would be cheaper than taking a flight from Detroit to SFO which when planned ahead of time run about 350-400$ round trip.

Facepalm to the furthest extento_O

1. The tour guide comment was quite obviously a joke.

2. I was mistaken on the climate but saying that I don't like hot climates doesn't mean I'm calling hot climates shitty. Not even close.

3. I said I'd prefer an Alaskan cruise over a Bahamas Cruise.

Even if you won I can totally afford your gas money, fast food and night at a Motel 6.

When I'm about to win you'll stomp your foot and freeze the game and call it a draw. I'd then pull up a video of the Milwaukee riots and relate it somehow. You'd tell me how much the weather in the midwest sucks, but still offer to pay for my motel 6 room. I'd find bed bugs in my motel 6 and have to pay a different room anyways.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
I like Disney World better. However I’ve only been to Disney Land once and I was like 27, I was 13 at Disney World. And I was with my sister and nephew at Disney Land. So...

So visit Florida before California???

Because that is going to be the biggest selling point to my wife.

California is currently 9th in terms of tax dollars paid relative to tax dollars received, receiving .78 dollars for every $1 given to the federal government, recently contributing 289 billion. If there is any legit argument for secession from California is it's that. For comparison, Kentucky clocks in at 45th with $1.51 received for every $1 paid, contributing just over 20 billion.

With out doing the math for ratio of amount lost relative to whole, obviously losing 289 billion from CA will have ripple effects into amount of funds received for poorer states like Kentucky.

Not to mention that if it leads to greater secession movement, federal funds dwindle even further.

Unfortunately, the numbers aren't that straight-forward. The cost of living is much, much higher in California. I used the CNN Cost of Living Calculator, and when I compare Durham, NC, to the 9 listed metropolitan areas of California, you're looking at a difference of roughly $26,000 - at least for someone who earns about $50,000 in Durham. That means for essentially have the same credentials and the same proportional expenses, someone from California would be paying roughly $10,000 in federal taxes, whereas a Durham resident would be paying roughly $4,300 (this is a simplistic calculation, as it's only really factoring in the standard deduction).

Let's split the difference between $76k and $50k, and say the national average for someone with the same type job, work experience, and education is $63k. That means, on average, a person is paying $7,160 on federal taxes.

Let's take the real tax dollars received for California, where you reference it being 78 cents on the dollar. If the average person in the position, from Cali, is contributing $10,000 in federal taxes, $0.78 on the dollar would be a return of $7,800. The Durham resident would need a $1.814 return on the dollar to match California. So more than likely California, in this overly simplistic example, CA would not only be way ahead of the Durham resident, but also well above the national average ($7,160)... Also, if I'm not mistaken, California is a fairly young state, something like %10 of the population is over 65, meaning they wouldn't be bringing much back from Social Security.

Reactions: ChiTownSean
I've lived in California for the last 20 years. Nobody is proposing leaving the union except for a small faction of far right wingers who don't like the changing demographics and a few traitors with Russian ties.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
Unfortunately, the numbers aren't that straight-forward. The cost of living is much, much higher in California. I used the CNN Cost of Living Calculator, and when I compare Durham, NC, to the 9 listed metropolitan areas of California, you're looking at a difference of roughly $26,000 - at least for someone who earns about $50,000 in Durham. That means for essentially have the same credentials and the same proportional expenses, someone from California would be paying roughly $10,000 in federal taxes, whereas a Durham resident would be paying roughly $4,300 (this is a simplistic calculation, as it's only really factoring in the standard deduction).

Let's split the difference between $76k and $50k, and say the national average for someone with the same type job, work experience, and education is $63k. That means, on average, a person is paying $7,160 on federal taxes.

Let's take the real tax dollars received for California, where you reference it being 78 cents on the dollar. If the average person in the position, from Cali, is contributing $10,000 in federal taxes, $0.78 on the dollar would be a return of $7,800. The Durham resident would need a $1.814 return on the dollar to match California. So more than likely California, in this overly simplistic example, CA would not only be way ahead of the Durham resident, but also well above the national average ($7,160)... Also, if I'm not mistaken, California is a fairly young state, something like %10 of the population is over 65, meaning they wouldn't be bringing much back from Social Security.

Seems like you just spent a lot of time trying to argue that there aren't a lot of red rural states dependent on states like California for tax dollars.

You aren't going to win that argument. Hang it up.

Astoria is gorgeous. I’ve never seen such green landscape where roses grow naturally everywhere. My point with all of this, is people need to step out of their comfort bubble and experience the beauty of the west coast. Politics shouldn’t hamper your life to the point of you not visiting beautiful cities/landscapes.

I’m talking to you @hailtoyourvictor & @LetsGoDuke301
I really didn't see anything ITT that would cause you to be ao defensive and insecure. I have already told you that I would visit California given the opportunity. It's not that I am saying California is an ugly place where everybody is a flaming intolerant lib. I know there are just as many or more great people in California than any other state. I just find their politics to be whacky and irresponsible.

All of that said, this thread was intended to be a discussion of two movements coming out of the state. It seems that people want to argue whether or not it is a good thing for California to secede and completely ignore the other movement to become two states.

You shouldn't be upset about this because both movements have been driven by the people inside your bubble not mine. I was just curious what other people's thoughts on it were. Wasn't taking a shot at Cali.

Seems like you just spent a lot of time trying to argue that there aren't a lot of red rural states dependent on states like California for tax dollars.

You aren't going to win that argument. Hang it up.

Excellent rebuttal. Very informative.

Electricity, gas, food, and basic commodities simply cost more in California. Minimum wage is $11 an hour, which means absolutely nothing comes cheap. 5 of the 7 most expensive real-estate cities are located in California. The median house price in San Francisco is valued at $1.61 million. Just 5 years ago, it was somewhat reasonable at 865k.

34% of the welfare recipients in the US reside in California, and they have the 3rd highest rate, per-capita. Cali also has the highest poverty rate in the country.

Californians like to boast that they have the 5th or 6th highest GDP in world. But when we adjust for the cost of living, it falls to 11th. Long story short, yeah, California is overrated. The have higher paying jobs because the prices for housing, food, or anything else more closely resembles that of Western Europe than any state in America. You pay more taxes with higher paying jobs, so when you only get $0.78 cents on the dollar, that really means nothing because you're still coming out on top once the prices have been adjusted for inflation.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I still need to visit San Diego. I’ve been everywhere else on the west coast except for there. My buddy grew up in Chula Vista. 77 degrees every day nearly 365 days a year sounds amazing.
San Diego may have the best climate on earth. If it gets hot during the day, just wait until night and the temp plunges. Plus there are Navy guys everywhere and they are patriots.

Reactions: schoonerwest
I struggle with some of the crap put out above.

California is a wonderful place. There are all sorts of different places to see. The differences from Southern California to Northern California are as vast as the differences from New Jersey to Florida because California is a massive state that is stretched North to South.

However, because of bad government the taxes are out the ass. One of my best friends lives in Palm Springs, CA. He loves it. But they are pricing him out. He is an old retired man of 72 and they are now suggesting that you can’t use more than 55 gallons of water a day. Year before last they restricted water and he lost his yard. Now it is okay to water your yard but not take a shower.

How much should the government dictate how you live? They play with you like you are stupid.

I have been all over California and it is a great place. I would not live there because of the taxes and the stupid government; and they are stupid.

I really didn't see anything ITT that would cause you to be ao defensive and insecure. I have already told you that I would visit California given the opportunity. It's not that I am saying California is an ugly place where everybody is a flaming intolerant lib. I know there are just as many or more great people in California than any other state. I just find their politics to be whacky and irresponsible.

All of that said, this thread was intended to be a discussion of two movements coming out of the state. It seems that people want to argue whether or not it is a good thing for California to secede and completely ignore the other movement to become two states.

You shouldn't be upset about this because both movements have been driven by the people inside your bubble not mine. I was just curious what other people's thoughts on it were. Wasn't taking a shot at Cali.
Tl;dr

But you should stop getting so upset thinking I’m upset. I love you.

I struggle with some of the crap put out above.

California is a wonderful place. There are all sorts of different places to see. The differences from Southern California to Northern California are as vast as the differences from New Jersey to Florida because California is a massive state that is stretched North to South.

However, because of bad government the taxes are out the ass. One of my best friends lives in Palm Springs, CA. He loves it. But they are pricing him out. He is an old retired man of 72 and they are now suggesting that you can’t use more than 55 gallons of water a day. Year before last they restricted water and he lost his yard. Now it is okay to water your yard but not take a shower.

How much should the government dictate how you live? They play with you like you are stupid.

I have been all over California and it is a great place. I would not live there because of the taxes and the stupid government; and they are stupid.
Yeah, Kentucky totally isn’t ignorant and dumb with Bevin at the helm..:rolleyes:

Excellent rebuttal. Very informative.

Electricity, gas, food, and basic commodities simply cost more in California. Minimum wage is $11 an hour, which means absolutely nothing comes cheap. 5 of the 7 most expensive real-estate cities are located in California. The median house price in San Francisco is valued at $1.61 million. Just 5 years ago, it was somewhat reasonable at 865k.

34% of the welfare recipients in the US reside in California, and they have the 3rd highest rate, per-capita. Cali also has the highest poverty rate in the country.

Californians like to boast that they have the 5th or 6th highest GDP in world. But when we adjust for the cost of living, it falls to 11th. Long story short, yeah, California is overrated. The have higher paying jobs because the prices for housing, food, or anything else more closely resembles that of Western Europe than any state in America. You pay more taxes with higher paying jobs, so when you only get $0.78 cents on the dollar, that really means nothing because you're still coming out on top once the prices have been adjusted for inflation.

Great stuff. Just great. But again doesn't change the fact that California isn't sandbagging the US economy and contributes far more than it consumes. Also, I'm not sure you realize how GDP works.

Last edited:
If you’re basing it solely on Disney World vs Disney Land, yes. However, Orlando is no where near a beach, and Anaheim is like 20 miles from Huntington Beach.
Orlando is 50 mins away from Daytona Beach, with a total of 5 red lights.
Been there done that drive a dozen times

I would argue that Matt Bevin is worse than Donald Trump.

Bevin is absolutely awful. Complete idiot. Not sure what policies he has that are good policies. I talk to people in state government, some of who are Republicans, and still haven't talked to anyone who thinks he's doing a good job. Is literally just replacing board members and state workers for political favors and power plays. Absolutely awful.

Bevin is absolutely awful. Complete idiot. Not sure what policies he has that are good policies. I talk to people in state government, some of who are Republicans, and still haven't talked to anyone who thinks he's doing a good job. Is literally just replacing board members and state workers for political favors and power plays. Absolutely awful.
Those fools who voted him in called Tim Conway the “conman”, thick ****ing irony.

But I’ve been there, and what you’re trying to do doesn’t rustle me nor is relevant to the other conversation. Reach harder, my dear boy.

Not everything is an attempt to rustle. Some things are said with a smile.

ADVERTISEMENT