ADVERTISEMENT

New California vs CalExit

Pick a side

• CalExit

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • New California

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
Some would argue that Hawaii was illegally occupied and annexed. That's a very pro-liberal crowd, too. Not sure they'll leave the Union, but I know several Hawaiians that are insistent that the Kingdom of Hawaii was illegally overthrown by military force.

Trumps plan.

1. CALIFORNIA leaves the USA.
2. Invade and take over California.
3. Move white house there.

I don't like reading. Is one proposal to split Cali into two (or more) states and the other for Cali to secede?

Lincoln already covered secession. Ain't happening; not their choice to make. I could see a slight possibility of the state splitting up, but taxes would obviously be the main concern. Areas where the most tax dollars are needed are not always aligned with areas where the most tax dollars are generated and it would be unwise/impractical to split them up from each other.

Also, I'm in doubt that the split would result in one red state and one blue state, in the long run. I think you'd ultimately just be adding another blue state, which you'd think Republicans would take issue with.

But the votes/electoral college would be split up. So you would have an extremely blue state and a more moderate, but still blue leaning state. Leaving a chance to swing the moderate state. It could only help the Republicans really.

@brooky03

Some would argue that Hawaii was illegally occupied and annexed. That's a very pro-liberal crowd, too. Not sure they'll leave the Union, but I know several Hawaiians that are insistent that the Kingdom of Hawaii was illegally overthrown by military force.

"Some would argue"

Huh? I think everybody agrees Hawaii was annexed, since that's historical fact, no?

btw, if this works (it won't), I'd be in favor of making NYC its own state, but only if Cuomo agrees to leave with it.

Reactions: I am stupid
"Some would argue"

Huh? I think everybody agrees Hawaii was annexed, since that's historical fact, no?

Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about the ordeal. Wish I could provide a broader context. Yes, it was annexed. But the question posed by Hawaiians, was it done so legally? Here are a few facebook posts from Hawaiian friends.

Hawaii was never legally annexed, it is illegally occupied. When 300 marines invaded Hawai'i a U.S. investigation looked into the matter and revealed that Hawai'i was indeed invaded on false pretext. The executive order President Cleveland made to restore the Kingdom of Hawai'i is in effect for Obama to follow today and every U.S. president in the future. There are no if's, ands, or buts about it, Hawai'i was a foreign country that was invaded, and occupied since the Spanish American War. The only ethical thing to do is to have the Kingdom of Hawai'i restored. This is President Clevelands stance, and it is my stance too. Thou shalt not steal.

Hawai'i was never annexed. It was invaded. Congress lacks jurisdiction to annex foreign countries. Hawai'i is illegally occupied. Just like Alaska. President Mckinley was a puppet for multinational and militaristic agendas. America wanted Pearl Harbor and proceeded with a unlawful "annexation". But congress can no more annex Hawai'i than it can annex Canada today.

Found a wikipedia link, which will probably serve as a more useful tool than the opinion of a FB friend. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_Hawaii

Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about the ordeal. Wish I could provide a broader context. Yes, it was annexed. But the question posed by Hawaiians, was it done so legally? Here are a few facebook posts from Hawaiian friends.

Hawaii was never legally annexed, it is illegally occupied. When 300 marines invaded Hawai'i a U.S. investigation looked into the matter and revealed that Hawai'i was indeed invaded on false pretext. The executive order President Cleveland made to restore the Kingdom of Hawai'i is in effect for Obama to follow today and every U.S. president in the future. There are no if's, ands, or buts about it, Hawai'i was a foreign country that was invaded, and occupied since the Spanish American War. The only ethical thing to do is to have the Kingdom of Hawai'i restored. This is President Clevelands stance, and it is my stance too. Thou shalt not steal.

Hawai'i was never annexed. It was invaded. Congress lacks jurisdiction to annex foreign countries. Hawai'i is illegally occupied. Just like Alaska. President Mckinley was a puppet for multinational and militaristic agendas. America wanted Pearl Harbor and proceeded with a unlawful "annexation". But congress can no more annex Hawai'i than it can annex Canada today.

Found a wikipedia link, which will probably serve as a more useful tool than the opinion of a FB friend. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_Hawaii
Take your friend to Haiti and then ask him “You want to live in a country like this? Then stfu.”

Reactions: dukedevilz

Legal vs. illegal is tricky language because annexation is basically just showing up somewhere and saying, "Welp, this is ours now." If nobody stops you from saying it's yours, then it's yours. Nobody stopped us.

All countries have the power to attempt to annex whatever they feel like annexing simply by existing as a country. If you don't have the power/jurisdiction to annex a foreign nation, then what can you annex? My recollection is that there was a civil rebellion in Hawaii that the US, more or less, supported. We didn't start it, but we were cool with it happening. The kingdom in power was bounced and we annexed it after the new government was established.

edit: just noticed the wiki link. yup, pretty much what wikipedia says

Last edited:
RollLaughRollLaughRollLaugh

Is that a serious thing in Hawaii? Heres my response to any state that wants to leave the union.

giphy.gif

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...ornia-from-us-is-getting-a-second-chance.html

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...tories-fighting-to-become-51st-state.amp.html

Refrain from the typical **** California, and other insults. (I will try because I still want to receive dick pics from @UL1986' recent dates).

Really curious if this will end up happening, I think that the New California movement would have more support. But how likely is either?

The more I think about it, the more I am fine with it. With California starting to lose the majority of its middle class, there is a real possibility it ends up being closer to a third world country than part of the US.

I don’t know that the rest of country should help sustain it.

Also, I'm in doubt that the split would result in one red state and one blue state, in the long run. I think you'd ultimately just be adding another blue state, which you'd think Republicans would take issue with.

The California inland empire is like every stereotype about the south but with scorching hot deserts. Not sure how that gets to be blue.

What do we call a country like Hati? Drawing a blank here.

IDK, Canada sort of looks like a hat:

americas-hat2.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I am fine with it. With California starting to lose the majority of its middle class, there is a real possibility it ends up being closer to a third world country than part of the US.

You're taking tremendous liberties with "real" and "possibility" there.

I don’t know that the rest of country should help sustain it.
There were two options. I am taking it that you are siding with CalExit? That wouldn't be best for the country compared to the other option. The other option would isolate the whacky policies to the 13 or so counties that endorse high taxes, regulations and irresponsible immigration policies and allow the majority of the state's counties to endorse more moderate and reasonable policies.

Reactions: BigBlueCatNation
I don't like reading. Is one proposal to split Cali into two (or more) states and the other for Cali to secede?

Lincoln already covered secession. Ain't happening; not their choice to make. I could see a slight possibility of the state splitting up, but taxes would obviously be the main concern. Areas where the most tax dollars are needed are not always aligned with areas where the most tax dollars are generated and it would be unwise/impractical to split them up from each other.

Excellent post Brooky.

They apparently don't remember what happened in 1861.
It would be the best thing that ever happened to the United States. California is a haven for illegal immigrants and the state is the worst managed state in the U.S. They have the highest taxes and welfare abuse in the country and are almost bankrupt.

I love the po dunks that live in their farty little towns that hate on Cali, yet deep down wished they could live here in this beautiful weather. Come at me. Also a lot of California sucks, so lumping it together is dumb. Bakersfield and Fresno might as well be in Kansas.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
California is currently 9th in terms of tax dollars paid relative to tax dollars received, receiving .78 dollars for every $1 given to the federal government, recently contributing 289 billion. If there is any legit argument for secession from California is it's that. For comparison, Kentucky clocks in at 45th with $1.51 received for every $1 paid, contributing just over 20 billion.

With out doing the math for ratio of amount lost relative to whole, obviously losing 289 billion from CA will have ripple effects into amount of funds received for poorer states like Kentucky.

Not to mention that if it leads to greater secession movement, federal funds dwindle even further.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
I love the po dunks that live in their farty little towns that hate on Cali, yet deep down wished they could live here in this beautiful weather. Come at me. Also a lot of California sucks, so lumping it together is dumb. Bakersfield and Fresno might as well be in Kansas.

This. Going about 2 hours from the crapholes off of I-15 east of LA to Orange County is like going from an American nightmare to nigh-paradise.

California isn't going anywhere. It would be bad for California, and it would be bad for the rest of us.

Our country has done pretty well the way we are.

And as with ANY state, it has beautiful parts and crappy parts. My guess is that Cali's beautiful parts are on par or better than any other in the world, given the natural beauty and climate and amount of money.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
This. Going about 2 hours from the crapholes off of I-15 east of LA to Orange County is like going from an American nightmare to nigh-paradise.
Most of the people on this board haven’t been to California, they’ve just listened to their news pundits, and radio talk show hosts preach about just how terrible it is. Fascinating, I tell you.

California isn't going anywhere. It would be bad for California, and it would be bad for the rest of us.

Our country has done pretty well the way we are.

And as with ANY state, it has beautiful parts and crappy parts. My guess is that Cali's beautiful parts are on par or better than any other in the world, given the natural beauty and climate and amount of money.
I’ve traveled all over the country, you won’t find anything more beautiful than Northern California or the Oregon Coast. Mixed with parts of coastal central and so Cal.

Most of the people on this board haven’t been to California, they’ve just listened to their news pundits, and radio talk show hosts preach about just how terrible it is. Fascinating, I tell you.
I particularly liked the guy who linked a 30 minute propaganda video to try and persuade us why California is the worst place in the history of the world.

I’ve traveled all over the country, you won’t find anything more beautiful than Northern California or the Oregon Coast. Mixed with parts of coastal central and so Cal.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Pacific Northwest. I mean, I personally think that New England in the fall is about as good as it gets, but christ I love how green and beautiful it is up there.

Translation:

“I’ve never been to the upper peninsula of Michigan”

ADVERTISEMENT