ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Rosters - Thoughts?

This opinion that players carry teams in the NBA playoffs by themselves is ridiculous.

Especially at the guard position.

These players are absolutely rare.

Everything I have heard about Jokic revolves around the NBA playoffs.
Great player and is on the verge of becoming elite but he needs to do this every year.

Plus Doncic was 19 last year and putting up numbers I don't think I have ever seen for a 19 year old.

I am not including Doncic yet. I do think he will eventually be labeled an elite player and Top 10.

If you ask me who I would rather have.
I would say Doncic.

Even though Jokic is a center and very few centers can run the offense like Jokic.

I don’t know why you keep bringing up Doncic. Haven’t seen anyone say he’s not incredible. Before he was even drafted I stated he would be a top 5 player in the league by the time he was 23.

Jokic is clearly a top 15 player heading into this season. If you can’t see that, it’s not worth discussing basketball with you. Dude averaged 20/11/7 and was also 9th in the NBA in defensive win shares. I mean we are talking about a center with a 37% assist rate. Come on man.

What to make of the Warriors? I wonder how much they slide. Lost a lot, brought in a couple guys that could fit into what they do Stein and Russell. So they got a little younger. But they lose so much. I don't see much depth but could be selling a few guys short.

West is tough. Could these guys miss the playoffs?

What to make of the Warriors? I wonder how much they slide. Lost a lot, brought in a couple guys that could fit into what they do Stein and Russell. So they got a little younger. But they lose so much. I don't see much depth but could be selling a few guys short.

West is tough. Could these guys miss the playoffs?

It’s possible. But I think it’s also possible they finish as high as 5th or 6th in the West. Tell you what though, if they did miss the playoffs they would be mighty dangerous next year after adding a lotto pick and a healthy Klay Thompson.

Everything I have heard about Jokic revolves around the NBA playoffs.

Why do you keep saying this crap? A few times in this thread you've written this same sentence about how people only rate Jokic because of the playoffs last year. That's either an extremely ignorant statement or just a lie. Jokic lead his team to the #2 seed in the West which has nothing to do with playoffs.

It’s possible. But I think it’s also possible they finish as high as 5th or 6th in the West. Tell you what though, if they did miss the playoffs they would be mighty dangerous next year after adding a lotto pick and a healthy Klay Thompson.

This could come down to the health of Curry and/or Green. If either is forced to miss significant time I think they'd be in big trouble.

I could be jumping the gun but I think they might. Might. MIGHT.

Miss the playoffs.

Gasp...

This could come down to the health of Curry and/or Green. If either is forced to miss significant time I think they'd be in big trouble.

I could be jumping the gun but I think they might. Might. MIGHT.

Miss the playoffs.

Gasp...

I think you might be overestimating the 10-15 group with the Western Conference. But, yes, I agree that it’s possible the Warriors miss the playoffs and those chances go up if Steph missed 20+ games.

I think you might be overestimating the 10-15 group with the Western Conference. But, yes, I agree that it’s possible the Warriors miss the playoffs and those chances go up if Steph missed 20+ games.

Honestly, I was trying to figure out who the Lakers would replace, and kept thinking GS would be vulnerable. I forgot OKC turned into crap, and that's who the Lakers are replacing.

GS would have to endure massive injuries, which can happen but I ain't wishing that on them or anything.

The Pelicans are kind of interesting. Maybe Dallas too.

Please explain (with numbers) how Doncic's stats are better than Jokic's, let alone much better.

You really need to stop talking out your ass, you're coming off as a complete moron.

Someone mentioned Jokic's age. Possibly you. As if Jokic being 23 should determine his ranking.
Point about Doncic is at 19 his stats are way above Jokic or the norm. I don't think the NBA has seen a teenager ever play at Doncic level in their history.

If we are basing it on age wouldn't you say Doncic is a better player

Honestly, I was trying to figure out who the Lakers would replace, and kept thinking GS would be vulnerable. I forgot OKC turned into crap, and that's who the Lakers are replacing.

GS would have to endure massive injuries, which can happen but I ain't wishing that on them or anything.

The Pelicans are kind of interesting. Maybe Dallas too.

Possibly the Spurs.
Both the Spurs and OKC.

Minnesota or Mavs would be the teams to watch to sneak into the playoffs.
Would take either one as of right now.

I have said this already.
I think Curry is much more dangerous off the ball.
The question is DAngelo Russell and his decision making skills.
Curry off the ball can create more space and you can't trap players without the ball.

Cauley Stein being injured may slow them down early but I think he is one of those moves flying under the radar. Don't know how great he is on switches because of course Green can play inside and outside but their moves make sense for the first half.
Offensively he makes sense with Russell on the pick and rolls and because he can set screens

The question becomes what do to with Russell when Klay comes back.
If Russell can fit into that offense and be the ball dominant player I would take their 5 against anyone in the NBA when Klay returns.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned Jokic's age. Possibly you. As if Jokic being 23 should determine his ranking.
Point about Doncic is at 19 his stats are way above Jokic or the norm. I don't think the NBA has seen a teenager ever play at Doncic level in their history.

A) I never brought up anyone's age

B) You never qualified your statement than Doncic had much better stats than Jokic by saying you were only talking about stats at the same age.

C) That age comparison doesn't work anyway since Jokic was playing in Serbia at age 19.

Spurs. They just won't die!

Minny did get a little better defensively, they added a few decent parts.

Minnesota has been a sleeper. There is enough talent there to win a lot of games.
The question becomes how do they compare against Portland, Utah and Denver.
Even OKC.

The Spurs. There is enough there with LaMarcus, DeRozan and Patty Mills but they are slowly becoming a team who will have to fight for the final few playoff spots.
I don't think the hunger is there compared to the Mavs, Pels and Minnesota.

Minny adding Covington could really help them. He can play/defend multi positions it really allows them to mix a lot of different looks.

Plus adding Culver. Culver might not come in as a 20 point scorer but he will come in near elite defensively.
Reason why people were high on him. Has the potential to be a high level two way big guard.

I'll add Okogie, though not a new piece, he has all the tools to be an elite defender. He's already a good defender. He could be one of the more improved players in the league this year.

There really is a lot to like there. A lot of interchangeable parts. Even Vonleh could end up being a good pick-up for them.

I just can't go "all-in" until they prove it.

Carsen Edwards had 30 pts and hit 9 three's in ONE quarter last night for the Celts!

He didn't like Tyler Herro being named the GOAT... On the flip side Tyler has been playing well. Shooting 53% from the 3 through last night. Wish he'ld shot like that last season...

Minny adding Covington could really help them. He can play/defend multi positions it really allows them to mix a lot of different looks.
We had a winning record with Covington, last year, before he went down with his season ending injury. One of the more underrated guys in the league. Him, Okogie and Culver should provide us with very good perimeter D. Losing Gibson though is going to hurt the interior D. Also lost Tyus and D-Rose off the bench which hurts the offensive depth.

We had a winning record with Covington, last year, before he went down with his season ending injury. One of the more underrated guys in the league. Him, Okogie and Culver should provide us with very good perimeter D. Losing Gibson though is going to hurt the interior D. Also lost Tyus and D-Rose off the bench which hurts the offensive depth.

Ah, I forgot he got moved there last year. Thanks!

Interested in what happens with Culver.

His game translates very well to the NBA.
If Minnesota has a big year it will be because of him.

Saw some things about you using him as a PG during the exhibition games.

At his peak I think he could end up like James Harden.
Thought he should have been picked higher.

Interested in what happens with Culver.

His game translates very well to the NBA.
If Minnesota has a big year it will be because of him.

Saw some things about you using him as a PG during the exhibition games.

At his peak I think he could end up like James Harden.
Thought he should have been picked higher.

So you have Culver's peak as league leading scorer and perennial MVP candidate?

I gotta be honest, there isn't a single opinion you've given in this entire thread that I didn't think was completely idiotic.

So you have Culver's peak as league leading scorer and perennial MVP candidate?

I gotta be honest, there isn't a single opinion you've given in this entire thread that I didn't think was completely idiotic.

Yes.

Watch how Culver attacks the basket.
In the NBA with more space on the court Culver is dangerous very much like a James Harden.

Culver was getting to the rim at the college level at a high level.
Those plays are fouls in the NBA.

But Culver needs to improve his range and free throw shooting.
Not there yet but could be a 25+ PPG scorer in the NBA.

Not every player hits their peak...
Culver has as much upside as anyone in last year's draft.

Every list?
Probably because he was an All NBA player.
Not too many elite centers.

I actually wouldn't include any centers in the Top 10

Giannis
Curry
PG13
Harden
Anthony Davis
Kawhi
LeBron
Lillard
Westbrook
KD
Assuming not in order, and could justify all of them in a top 10 (though not Durant THIS season). could also justify Jokic inclusion and for sure in the next 5, no?

I worry about Jokic's weight and his ability to stay healthy.

Very good player and looks to be getting better. With another elite season could end up being a Top 10 player.

In regards to ceiling. I am much higher on Doncic. This isn't taking anything away from Jokic but I don't see him becoming a player who plays at an elite level for the next 10 years.
You worry about Jokic's ability to stay healthy but not AD?

Utah is a much better team.

If you look at who out of that division could be a legit threat it is Utah not Denver.

The love affair with Jokic is basically because they were able to walk into a conference semifinals.
Even then Portland had too much for them.
could probably say the same of the Utah love affair? Hey, I like them and think they made nice additions with Conley and Bogdonovic (and Green) but neither are superstars, and Conley gets hurt...a lot.

Not sure how much a pick likely to be high teens helps them. Only way lotto helps (other than bigtime luck) is if they bottom out and I cannot see that happening. Thinking 4-7, so about the same as you do.

"way above"? You really love going extreme don't you?

Reactions: Big ol arms
Not sure how much a pick likely to be high teens helps them. Only way lotto helps (other than bigtime luck) is if they bottom out and I cannot see that happening. Thinking 4-7, so about the same as you do.

High teens? If they miss the playoffs, the worst pick they can have is 14. Could easily be 12 or 13. You don’t think a guy like Cam Johnson, Tyler Herro, or Nickeil Alexander-Walker would have a role?

High teens? If they miss the playoffs, the worst pick they can have is 14. Could easily be 12 or 13. You don’t think a guy like Cam Johnson, Tyler Herro, or Nickeil Alexander-Walker would have a role?
Hard to say without seeing any of them play a real game. But thinking the majority of guys picked 12-14 amount to little. And, yes, high teens. Barring major injuries my thought is if GS misses playoffs it's barely so, as I said, without some bigtime luck they are picking 13-14. So, high teens....as I said.

Hard to say without seeing any of them play a real game. But thinking the majority of guys picked 12-14 amount to little. And, yes, high teens. Barring major injuries my thought is if GS misses playoffs it's barely so, as I said, without some bigtime luck they are picking 13-14. So, high teens....as I said.

13-14 is high teens? So what the hell is 18? Super high teens? 19 is really super duper high teens?

D Angelo Russell is the key.
If he can fit they can be a very good team.
It is about ball movement with them.

Klay should be coming back this year so you then add a third player.
You know if Klay can play with Curry he will be able to play with D Angelo if Russell can play with Curry.

I doubt the Warriors are thinking about the draft.
They do a good job at bringing in players to fit their team.

I really lile Cauly Stein and D Angelo.

Stein is a very high basketball IQ big that excels off the pick and roll or just setting screens for his guards.

They have momentum and the players right now to win still.

ADVERTISEMENT