ADVERTISEMENT

***Maui Invitational thread**

SpartanJD

Dec 3, 2010
Should be another great tourney in Maui featuring two top 5 teams.

Dayton v UGA and then MSU v Va Tech are the afternoon games. KU v Chaminade and BYU v UCLA at night.

It would be a surprise if MSU and KU don't battle it out in the championship game. MSU has a tougher road to the finals as VT is likely the third best team followed by Dayton and UGA. BYU and UCLA both suck and KU shouldn't really be challenged all that much on their way to the finals.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't schedule the championship game on Wednesday to be a prime time viewing slot. Right now it's scheduled for 5:00 EST. It'll basically be daytime hours on the busiest traveling day of the year for 2/3 of the country so a lot of people won't get to watch it. They should've moved it back to the 9:00 EST game which features 7th vs. 8th place.

Yes, I'm bitter. I will probably miss the entire MSU-KU game if they play for the championship.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'm a little disappointed that they didn't schedule the championship game on Wednesday to be a prime time viewing slot. Right now it's scheduled for 5:00 EST. It'll basically be daytime hours on the busiest traveling day of the year for 2/3 of the country so a lot of people won't get to watch it. They should've moved it back to the 9:00 EST game which features 7th vs. 8th place.

Yes, I'm bitter. I will probably miss the entire MSU-KU game if they play for the championship.
It's tough to stay away from spoilers.

BTW, we're on the time zone.

tenor.gif

BYU has a 26? year old balding point guard.

Watched them against Houston earlier in the year.
Was one of the better games this year.

Haven't watched UCLA yet this year so I may catch that game.
BYU is definitely a clash in culture and style to most schools.

MSU definitely has the harder side than Kansas. Virginia Tech, Georgia, and Dayton are the 3rd, 4th, and 5th best teams in it. BYU is 3-2 and UCLA sucks. That said I still expect those 2 teams to meet in the final.

MSU definitely has the harder side than Kansas. Virginia Tech, Georgia, and Dayton are the 3rd, 4th, and 5th best teams in it. BYU is 3-2 and UCLA sucks. That said I still expect those 2 teams to meet in the final.

Haven't seen UCLA this year.
Are they really that bad.

Do they lack the talent?
Haven't seen them since they played North Carolina last November. Thought their biggest problem was coaching. They had players who could play with UNC.

UCLA is really bad
Has anyone actually watched them
Don't know where this conclusion is coming from.

Losing a game before the tournament may just be coaching.
Cronin could be using this tournament as a launching pad for UCLA.

So I am not ready to make a judgement until I actually watch them.
UCLA has talent on that roster. Just need coaching and to develop a program.

Haven't seen UCLA this year.
Are they really that bad.

Do they lack the talent?
Haven't seen them since they played North Carolina last November. Thought their biggest problem was coaching. They had players who could play with UNC.

Come on now dont be shy, you are king of making conclusions without watching a team yet. You had a full WVU scouting report/prediction on how we would do before our first game this season

Come on now, you are king of making conclusions without watching a team yet. You had a full WVU scouting report on how we would do before out first game this season

I have watched WVU.
Watched them a lot last year.

You just don't like the fact that I still worry about your perimeter defense.
I wasn't big on playing Culver and Oscar on the floor at the same time.

I have watched WVU.
Watched them a lot last year.

You just don't like the fact that I still worry about your perimeter defense.
I wasn't big on playing Culver and Oscar on the floor at the same time.

Our perimeter defense is worlds better this season, especially after getting that transfer from Arkansas in last game after the NCAA finally ruled him eligible. We have Huggins type of guys this year. Everyone has played hard so far except for Culver.

Our perimeter defense is worlds better this season, especially after getting that transfer from Arkansas in last game after the NCAA finally ruled him eligible. We have Huggins type of guys this year. Everyone has played hard this year except for Culver. Big difference compared to last season.

Oscar is a better player and should be your 5.
He was going to take his minutes and numbers.
Huggins was trying to find a way for it to work.
Culver brings something and looks like he is sticking it out.

Your perimeter defense is improving but starts with McCabe.

Oscar is a better player and should be your 5.
He was going to take his minutes and numbers.
Huggins was trying to find a way for it to work.
Culver brings something and looks like he is sticking it out.

Your perimeter defense is improving but starts with McCabe.

McCabe has started but he hasn't finished any of our games yet. Even in the one close game we had. The new guys are getting more playing time over him. I see him and possibly Culver transferring after this season.

UCLA lost at home to Hofstra and are +100 in Kenpom. They are definitely bad.

There isn’t really an argument. Everyone on MSU’s side is better than than everyone on the other side besides Kansas.

McCabe has started but he hasn't finished any of our games yet. The new guys are getting more playing time over him.

Point is I have watched WVU.
All I said after the Pitt game was that Pitt isn't any good. Pitt would go 0-18 in the Big 12 in basketball.
Plus I said I saw issues with penetration.

Watch our for Northern Iowa. They are even better than Northern Colorado at what they do.

There isn’t really an argument. Everyone on MSU’s side is better than than everyone on the other side besides Kansas.

You have to actually watch teams
If you looks at the numbers it was a defensive letdown against Hofstra.

I am going to watch the UCLA/BYU game and see where they are at.
I wouldn't totally dismiss anyone because of KenPom after 5 games.
KenPom doesn't work until you have about 15 games of data

Point is I have watched WVU.
All I said after the Pitt game was that Pitt isn't any good. Pitt would go 0-18 in the Big 12 in basketball.
Plus I said I saw issues with penetration.

Watch our for Northern Iowa. They are even better than Northern Colorado at what they do.

Yes that will be a tough test. I know Pitt isnt any good, I'm just going by eye test and our attitude and athleticism/length/depth..hell everything compared to last season looks better. As impressive as our defense has looked, I am most happy with how much better we are shooting the ball. Last season our only consistent scoring was inside from Culver.

How are you so sure that Virginia Tech, Georgia and Dayton are all better than UCLA a few games into the season?

Ohhhhh...Kenpom. Never question Kenpom. Not even a couple games into the season.

Good God.

Kentucky lost at home to Evansville. Are they really bad? Did you lose to a really bad team? Oops.

Reactions: KisteK and RipThru
Yes that will be a tough test. I know Pitt isnt any good, I'm just going by eye test and our attitude and athleticism/length/depth..hell everything compared to last season looks better. As impressive as our defense has looked, I am most happy with how much better we are shooting the ball. Last season our only consistent scoring was inside from Culver.

You have the ability to turn into a good team.

As always Huggins uses every player on the bench in any game.

Length and athleticism are the norms in the Big 12.
You can say that about pretty much everyone.

Ohhhhh...Kenpom. Never question Kenpom. Not even a couple games into the season.

Good God.

Kentucky lost at home to Evansville. Are they really bad? Did you lose to a really bad team? Oops.
Virginia Tech has is undefeated with a road win against a Power 5 opponent. Georgia is undefeated with a road win against a power 5 team. Dayton is undefeated and top 53 on Kenpom, although I understand it’s early.

UCLA has no good wins, played everyone close and then lost by 10 at home to Hofstra. BYU is 3-2. Chaminade isn’t even D1.

Sure it could change, but right now it appears MSU’s side is far harder than Kansas’.

Is that good enough for you?

Virginia Tech has is undefeated with a road win against a Power 5 opponent. Georgia is undefeated with a road win against a power 5 team. Dayton is undefeated and top 53 on Kenpom, although I understand it’s early.

UCLA has no good wins, played everyone close and then lost by 10 at home to Hofstra. BYU is 3-2. Chaminade isn’t even D1.

Sure it could change, but right now it appears MSU’s side is far harder than Kansas’.

Most teams are much tougher if they have a L IMO.
Once a team losses you find where they are at as a program.

That L by UCLA isn't totally a bad thing unless that team doesn't use it to raise their level.
If you look at their other games UCLA was playing defense.
Something that hasn't happened since Ben Howland was there.

You have the ability to turn into a good team.

As always Huggins uses every player on the bench in any game.

Length and athleticism are the norms in the Big 12.
You can say that about pretty much everyone.

Length and athleticism is about the norm in any conference these days. The thing is it was something Huggins had not been able to get and use much of up until this season. Even Carter and Konate didn't have great size and length for their position. What makes the Big 12 so good is they also have a lot of skilled players to go with that length and athleticism.

Hofstra may not be that bad. Who the hell knows? They're ranked much higher than Evansville by your precious Kenpom.

How anyone can have so much faith in a computer ranking a couple games into the season is beyond me.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Hofstra may not be that bad. Who the hell knows? They're ranked much higher than Evansville by your precious Kenpom.

How anyone can have so much faith in a computer ranking a couple games into the season is beyond me.

Agreed, still too early in any kind of rankings for college bball this season. Just my opinion, think Kansas has the easier path to the finals than MSU..

Agreed. MSU has a much tougher side of the bracket. If I'm a Sparty fan, I'd prefer it that way. If Kansas gets two cupcake wins and loses in the finals, they're not going to benefit very much from this trip, resume-wise. Dayton and Georgia are both legitimate at-large teams.

Not sold on Virginia Tech. Sure, they're undefeated. But, the only team they've taken down is an undermanned Clemson team. I think they're likely the 6th or 7th best team in the tournament. Va Tech has no bigs. They'll get crushed on the boards by Michigan State. I would be very surprised if it's not Va-Tech and Chaminade in the 7th place game.

Georgia may be more talented than UCLA this year so you may be right
But Dayton and VA Tech aren't

Wait, have you seen Dayton? They might be the best team in the A-10. I think Obi Toppin has got to be the early season favorite to win A-10 Player of the Year. On top of that. they brought in quality transfers from Florida, Michigan, Nebraska, and Chattanooga. They're the #3 team in this tournament, IMO.

Length and athleticism is about the norm in any conference these days. The thing is it was something Huggins had not been able to get and use much of up until this season. Even Carter and Konate didn't have great size and length for their position. What makes the Big 12 so good is they also have a lot of skilled players to go with that length and athleticism.

The top 3 are set.
Out of the rest of the 7 WVU could end up being the best.
I am not going to say it is impossible like it probably is at TCU and Iowa State.
But both the Oklahoma schools and K State look tough this year as well.

Going to be a dogfight in the conference this year. Pretty much cannot lose more than 3 games OOC.

The top 3 are set.
Out of the rest of the 7 WVU could end up being the best.
I am not going to say it is impossible like it probably is at TCU and Iowa State.
But both the Oklahoma schools and K State look tough this year as well.

Going to be a dogfight in the conference this year. Pretty much cannot lose more than 3 games OOC.

I'm confident WVU finishes no worse that 3rd this season. I had us 8th last year. I know when I see a really good Huggins team. And yes I've watched every big 12 team play at least once so far this season.

Bro I literally just went through and picked out wins vs. losses. I used Kenpom once in that entire post. I don’t think it’s that crazy what I’m saying.

Agreed. MSU has a much tougher side of the bracket. If I'm a Sparty fan, I'd prefer it that way. If Kansas gets two cupcake wins and loses in the finals, they're not going to benefit very much from this trip, resume-wise. Dayton and Georgia are both legitimate at-large teams.

Not sold on Virginia Tech. Sure, they're undefeated. But, the only team they've taken down is an undermanned Clemson team. I think they're likely the 6th or 7th best team in the tournament. Va Tech has no bigs. They'll get crushed on the boards by Michigan State. I would be very surprised if it's not Va-Tech and Chaminade in the 7th place game.

Wait, have you seen Dayton? They might be the best team in the A-10. I think Obi Toppin has got to be the early season favorite to win A-10 Player of the Year. On top of that. they brought in quality transfers from Florida, Michigan, Nebraska, and Chattanooga. They're the #3 team in this tournament, IMO.
VA Tech has been taking a ton of 3’s early and hitting them. That’s a scary team to face as the first game. If their 3’s are falling they are tough to beat. We do have a significant size advantage though.

I'm confident WVU finishes no worse that 3rd this season. I had us 8th last year. I know when I see a really good Huggins team. And yes I've watched every big 12 team play at least once so far this season.

We will see.
I don't think the Big 12 did you any favors by forcing you to play KU and Tech in 2 of the first 3 games and then having to play at Oklahoma State.
Right before that you play Ohio State

That 4 game stretch is the key for WVU to me because it is going into the conference season.
A 0-3 Big 12 start could make it difficult.

Bro I literally just went through and picked out wins vs. losses. I used Kenpom once in that entire post. I don’t think it’s that crazy what I’m saying.

So, by your logic, Kentucky is really bad.

Got it.

VA Tech has been taking a ton of 3’s early and hitting them. That’s a scary team to face as the first game. If their 3’s are falling they are tough to beat. We do have a significant size advantage though.

Strength of Schedule is 353 out of 353 teams. Basically playing D-II schools. They were 9 for 27 from three against Clemson. Va Tech is okay. I think they might be an NIT team. But, they are going to be killed on the glass. They have to get good, open-looks. Second chance points will be hard to come by for them. If you guys can defend the 3-point line reasonably well, it will be a LONG night for VT.

So, by your logic, Kentucky is really bad.

Got it.
Look man, it’s too early, but right now it seems like we have the 3 tougher teams, based on results and Kenpom. There is no great judge early season, but MSU appears to have the harder side. Do you disagree?

Strength of Schedule is 353 out of 353 teams. Basically playing D-II schools. They were 9 for 27 from three against Clemson. Va Tech is okay. I think they might be an NIT team. But, they are going to be killed on the glass. They have to get good, open-looks. Second chance points will be hard to come by for them. If you guys can defend the 3-point line reasonably well, it will be a LONG night for VT.
Did not know that about SOS. Thanks. I have to think they will commit to stopping MSU’s fast break and not even attempt offensive rebounds.

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT