ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland Basketball Coach Mark Turgeon

gymman1031

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
He seems like a class act, but lots of Maryland fans aren't completely happy. Mark might need an excellent season and a deep run in the NCAA Tournament before too long, even if not this year.

Mediocre coach. Thats all that matter to most people, esp at MD. They think they are a blue blood and wish they were still in the ACC. Cranky bunch.

I kind of admire their willingness to avoid revolving door at the HC position.

It does feel like this guy has never really broken through, I don't have their year by year results in mind, just don't recall that year of a 1 or 2 seed or great team under him.

They do seem mired in mediocrity to above avg...but sometimes that's a lot better than plunging into worse. When the bottom falls out it's real tough to get back.

I remember when programs like DePaul, GA Tech, and UNLV were legit.

Reactions: I am stupid
Mediocre coach. Thats all that matter to most people, esp at MD. They think they are a blue blood and wish they were still in the ACC. Cranky bunch.

That is very incorrect, blue_in-chicago! More Maryland fans than not are not satisfied with the way things are right now and are getting very, very impatient. And no, I don't think they think they are a blue-blood. However, they know they could be, partly due to the fine talent that region produces, if they had a coach who was excellent with both coaching and recruiting. By the way, it is totally understandable for them to wish they were still in the ACC.

He fvcking sucks. We’ve given him ample opportunity to prove he can take the next step.

Also @blue_in_chicago has never interacted with a Maryland fan and he should suck start a shotgun ASAP. No Maryland fan has ever stated we are a blue blood. We want better results because of the talent in the area. Stop talking out your ass, fvck stick.

Is there another question? You seemed confused by the statement.

I have never heard that before so wasn't sure if it was just crappy grammar or actually what you meant to say. That was all. Obviously, the implication isn't complicated. Sophomoric maybe but not complicated. I just wasn't familiar with it.

He really got some bad luck last year bc that was the team that could’ve made a run in the tourney and put some stability in his job seat. But not like he’s the only one that lost out bc of covid

This feels like Grandpa just walked over to the fun table at Thanksgiving

cc0826155ef6fdaeee640c9a12f27e2be09cfc351a9af5768bbc317db4e36bc6.gif

I dunno...
Mark's been there so long, he kinda look like a turtle...

Hashtag Lifer
Hashtag 4Lyfe
Haaaaahsh Terrapin Turgeon

Reactions: bMORE607
The age old question is, can they replace him with someone who's, without a doubt, better?

Turgeon, since Maryland has joined the Big Ten, has a 73-39 conference record and has been to the tournament in 5 of those 6 seasons (Including last year where they would have certainly made it). I'm fine with Maryland fans wanting more out of their program. My question is who do they realistically think they can get who will do a better job?

Reactions: KisteK
The age old question is, can they replace him with someone who's, without a doubt, better?

Turgeon, since Maryland has joined the Big Ten, has a 73-39 conference record and has been to the tournament in 5 of those 6 seasons (Including last year where they would have certainly made it). I'm fine with Maryland fans wanting more out of their program. My question is who do they realistically think they can get who will do a better job?
Yea nothing like flaming out in the first round of the B1G and NCAA tournaments. He’s never beaten a higher seeded team.

• Wow
Reactions: KisteK

This is spot on I think. I mean it sounds incredibly logical.

Maryland fans - I do not have data, I just recall Juan Dixon was coaching.... would he be a potential hire, or is he just way too early in a career for this type of job?

He has respect 100% nationally, just don't know his resume.

He seems like a class act, but lots of Maryland fans aren't completely happy. Mark might need an excellent season and a deep run in the NCAA Tournament before too long, even if not this year.

They have no shot at a deep NCAA run this season. Won't even make the NCAA. Likely finish 11th in the Big Ten.

Roster is ass right now.

I will say his team looked pretty good when I saw them last year. Poor bastard finally put something together, then Covid pulled the rug out.

24-72 in 3 years. Hasn’t had a winning conference record yet.

If that’s Maryland’s solution, they should stick with what they got

Thx, really had no idea where he was sounds like he's not going to be moving up any time soon. That's too bad great dude.

I guess the question is, can a successful mid-major guy do what Turgeon is doing. Tough call. Some of those guys face plant. Others do well and bolt.

I think I'd keep him until there was a drop off. There may not be a drop off. Arm chair QB these programs easy to do at a distance, right? A good comparison, how bout Pitt and Jaime Dixon. Pitt's in a world of hurt since really.

He fvcking sucks. We’ve given him ample opportunity to prove he can take the next step.

Also @blue_in_chicago has never interacted with a Maryland fan and he should suck start a shotgun ASAP. No Maryland fan has ever stated we are a blue blood. We want better results because of the talent in the area. Stop talking out your ass, fvck stick.

i have always said that if Maryland could hire a top flight recruiter they would be in the hunt almost every year
unreal the amount of talent in the area

Is this Turge’s burner account? Try no to fvck up and lose to Navy today, Mark.

No reason to make a move unless you think the replacement will be better. Hiring an unproven coach just because he’s a former player is stupid. Firing coaches without a plan is how you become Tennessee football.

A couple names I would throw out are Piikel, Hurley, and Willard. If you think Maryland could entice one of those guys, I’d understand getting rid of Turgeon

Thx, really had no idea where he was sounds like he's not going to be moving up any time soon. That's too bad great dude.

I guess the question is, can a successful mid-major guy do what Turgeon is doing. Tough call. Some of those guys face plant. Others do well and bolt.

I think I'd keep him until there was a drop off. There may not be a drop off. Arm chair QB these programs easy to do at a distance, right? A good comparison, how bout Pitt and Jaime Dixon. Pitt's in a world of hurt since really.

It’s easy to wish things were better. It’s much harder to create a plan to get there. Hiring an unproven coach because he used to play at the school isn’t a plan

No reason to make a move unless you think the replacement will be better. Hiring an unproven coach just because he’s a former player is stupid. Firing coaches without a plan is how you become Tennessee football.

A couple names I would throw out are Piikel, Hurley, and Willard. If you think Maryland could entice one of those guys, I’d understand getting rid of Turgeon
I said his name would definitely come up, not that he was our number 1 choice.

Reactions: duckboy33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT