Who takes the title

• Kentucky

Votes: 65 44.5%
  • Kansas

Votes: 62 42.5%
  • Duke

Votes: 19 13.0%

• Total voters
Kentucky always has a shot. Always will under Cal.
I have zero doubt Kentucky's going to be a contender. They always are. I just think someone of you are getting way ahead of yourselves.
I agree. I want UK to win it all, but I voted that someone else will. I’ve seen one of the best teams in college basketball (Towns et al) fall short. I’ve learned to temper my expectations.

I agree. I want UK to win it all, but I voted that someone else will. I’ve seen one of the best teams in college basketball (Towns et al) fall short. I’ve learned to temper my expectations.
I understand the reasoning. Kentucky's gonna be a contender under Cal. That's just not gonna change. And TBH, man are the pieces there. But again, how will guys react when the lights come on? When the rotation shrinks? When your yanked for a mistake? When the games have meaning?There was zero pressure in these games. Hell Cal didn't even coach. But like I said....Man the pieces are there. Think it's going to be a great year.

I understand the reasoning. Kentucky's gonna be a contender under Cal. That's just not gonna change. And TBH, man are the pieces there. But again, how will guys react when the lights come on? When the rotation shrinks? When your yanked for a mistake? When the games have meaning?There was zero pressure in these games. Hell Cal didn't even coach. But like I said....Man the pieces are there. Think it's going to be a great year.
I am so hoping Miller can get some traction in Bloomington. CBB needs IU.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Three teams from the acc not mentioned are going to be as good as anyone, and that's Uva, Carolina and Syracuse. All 3 are loaded with experience.
Maybe I'm wrong, but Boeheim has a legit team this year.

Reactions: KisteK
Villanova.

Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke play like boys. Nova plays like men.

Arcidiacono/Josh Hart/Jalen Brunson/Eric Paschal, etc. Guys that dominate the sport of college basketball.

Jay Wright builds machines. Winners. Culture.

Villanova.

Arcidiacono/Josh Hart/Jalen Brunson/Eric Paschal, etc. Guys that dominate the sport of college basketball.

So Villanova is a lock this year?

Villanova.

Gone by the 2nd weekend.

Normalcy restored.

Reactions: DallasJayhawk
Kansas and Kentucky fans seem rustled to the max that Jay Wright already has more titles than Cal and Self.

Villanova.

And you are a loser.

As excited for the college basketball season as I've ever been.

Seems like every year, at some point, there's a narrative about 'College basketball is down this year ', or 'no truly dominant teams'.

I say that's horse shit.

How can EVERY year be a down year or a weak year? I'm glad that I won't be hearing that BS this year.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Villanova has just as much talent as last year and slightly better collection of 3-point shooters. We are just a bit younger, but our senior leaders are guys that have been there and done that... they will keep the young’ns On the straight and narrow.

Phil Booth dropped 20 on UNC in the 2016 championship game... everyone saw wht Paschal did in the tourney last year. Double double vs WVA, 24 points against Kansas in the F4. It is going to be cool to see a couple of the most elite 3 point shooters in the country draped around them (Cole Swider and Joe Cremo) as well as 5 Star PG Jahvon Quinerly. JQ is elite off the dribble and very good at creating for others. Will Jelly you around the basket too. Finishes amongst the trees.

Top tier defenders like Colin Gilespie (go back and look at what he did to Colin Sexton in the tournament last year) and Dhamir Crosby-Roundtree as complimentary role players will be nice to have.

Per Jeff Goodman and NBADraftnet’s recent tweets were gushing about how Paschal just dominated at the Nike event and was unconscious from 3 and dunking on everyone. They also tweeted how he is a sure fire 1st rounder. I like the Villanova 1st rounders over many other schools because our guys get drafted based on what they can actually do, rather than what they can become in 3 - 5 years.

Villanova.

Kentucky plays like boys? You didnt watch the bahamas games, did you? Uk will go toe to toe with anyone in college basketball.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Villanova has just as much talent as last year and slightly better collection of 3-point shooters. We are just a bit younger, but our senior leaders are guys that have been there and done that... they will keep the young’ns On the straight and narrow.

Phil Booth dropped 20 on UNC in the 2016 championship game... everyone saw wht Paschal did in the tourney last year. Double double vs WVA, 24 points against Kansas in the F4. It is going to be cool to see a couple of the most elite 3 point shooters in the country draped around them (Cole Swider and Joe Cremo) as well as 5 Star PG Jahvon Quinerly. JQ is elite off the dribble and very good at creating for others. Will Jelly you around the basket too. Finishes amongst the trees.

Top tier defenders like Colin Gilespie (go back and look at what he did to Colin Sexton in the tournament last year) and Dhamir Crosby-Roundtree as complimentary role players will be nice to have.

Per Jeff Goodman and NBADraftnet’s recent tweets were gushing about how Paschal just dominated at the Nike event and was unconscious from 3 and dunking on everyone. They also tweeted how he is a sure fire 1st rounder. I like the Villanova 1st rounders over many other schools because our guys get drafted based on what they can actually do, rather than what they can become in 3 - 5 years.

What's more likely...that Jay Wright cracked the code of how to dominate the game after 20+ years of coaching..or the law of averages finally worked in his favor?

Six straight years of getting bounced in the first or second round (plus a losing season) before winning a title three years ago. Bounced in the 2nd again the following year, then another title with the perfect combo of talent/experience. History would suggest that he's not going to win the national title every other year. Not even sure what you're arguing. He hit his stride 20 years in? He's not seeing a big uptick in talent.

Saying this year's team is as talented as last year's is funny. 4 of the top 5 scorers gone and replaced by Joe Cremo and a few semi-touted freshmen. Even if it were the case, this ain't last year. Far stronger field. Not happening.

Of the above three options, probably KU. But I think there are too many possible contenders to just limit the list to them.

That is cool. Good thing for you KU plays Villanova this year

What's more likely...that Jay Wright cracked the code of how to dominate the game after 20+ years of coaching..or the law of averages finally worked in his favor?

Six straight years of getting bounced in the first or second round (plus a losing season) before winning a title three years ago. Bounced in the 2nd again the following year, then another title with the perfect combo of talent/experience. History would suggest that he's not going to win the national title every other year. Not even sure what you're arguing. He hit his stride 20 years in? He's not seeing a big uptick in talent.

Saying this year's team is as talented as last year's is funny. 4 of the top 5 scorers gone and replaced by Joe Cremo and a few semi-touted freshmen. Even if it were the case, this ain't last year. Far stronger field. Not happening.
Wright has been at Nova since '01. He's been to 4 Elite 8's, 3 FF's and won 2 National titles. He's also won 72% of his games. And before that, he went 73-22 his final 3 years at Hofstra. No he hasn't been the best come NCAAT time, but to act as if he's some "Johnny come lately coach" is asinine. It takes some luck, some breaks, to advance. And to win the whole thing. Plus, maybe you are kinda of right. Maybe he's found his groove. His niche. After all, he's only 56. In other words, dude can coach. And Nova will be really good again this year.

My poll still has three sexy holes.
tumblr_oq04q8cOKM1vl5qr4o1_r1_400.gif

Wright has been at Nova since '01. He's been to 4 Elite 8's, 3 FF's and won 2 National titles. He's also won 72% of his games. And before that, he went 73-22 his final 3 years at Hofstra. No he hasn't been the best come NCAAT time, but to act as if he's some "Johnny come lately coach" is asinine. It takes some luck, some breaks, to advance. And to win the whole thing. Plus, maybe you are kinda of right. Maybe he's found his groove. His niche. After all, he's only 56. In other words, dude can coach. And Nova will be really good again this year.

The point wasn't that he's a Johnny come lately. The point is there's nothing to suggest that he's suddenly going to reel off a dynasty at 56. This homer acts like he just found the magic secret after 20+ years and will employ it to win the title every year until he retires, regardless of personnel or turnover.

If Wright had gotten a big bump in recruiting from these titles, there would be an argument for a possible dynasty. But so far that's not the case.

And next year's team will not measure up to last year. There's no rational reason to expect that. Even if it did, again, the field is likely way stronger. They're gonna have to go through better teams than last year's Michigan, KU, Texas Tech and West Virginia. There sure as hell won't be a Loyola in this year's final four. It was truly a down year (at the top at least).

ADVERTISEMENT