ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas Basketball: Jayhawks go undefeated in 2018-19 with Bold Prediction

Three final fours and one title in 15 years. Flamed out 80% of the time. That is how that math works.

So... Kentucky has also flamed out 80% of the time over the last two decades. Hell, we should probably penalize them extra points for those NIT appearances and double digit seeds, shouldn't we?

Porchpisser Logicstrikes again.

If it's ok with the rest of the KU fans, I'm going to disassociate you from them.

Since being disassociated from the Kentucky fanbase is a coveted status, I can only assume you intended to honor me. Much appreciated...but I generally like my fanbase, thanks.

Did anyone read the article?

"That’s right. The Jayhawks will go undefeated this season. Not only will they go unbeaten, but they will mow over the competition. Let’s face it, anything less will be a huge disappointment for Kansas Basketball."
News flash - they will let anyone write for Fansided. Who cares.

With non con games against CBS Sports preseason #1 Kentucky, #4 Tennessee, #9 Villanova and #11 Michigan State not to mention the home and home gauntlet of the Big 12, Kansas isn't going undefeated. I don't think they lose more than a few games but they aren't running the table.

Kansas fans, where is your optimism for this team coming from? The Jayhawks lost their 3 best players last year in Graham, Newman and Svi. You're bringing in some Memphis transfers, a really good freshman in Grimes and Udoka should be improved this year.

How does that translate to a squad that should have national title aspirations? Is it because of the rest of the country is just that bad?

So... Kentucky has also flamed out 80% of the time over the last two decades. Hell, we should probably penalize them extra points for those NIT appearances and double digit seeds, shouldn't we?

Let's compare Self at Kansas to Cal at Kentucky. Cal has made four final fours and one championship in 9 years. Cal has made the final four 44.4% of the time compared to Self 20% of the time. Cal has one championship in 9 years and Self has one in 15 years. Cal beat Self in 2012 for the National Championship when it really counted. Cal is 1-0 against Self while at Kentucky in NCAA games which are the ones that really count. Overall they are 3-3 while Cal has been at Kentucky. I will take those results every time.

Let's compare Self at Kansas to Cal at Kentucky. Cal has made four final fours and one championship in 9 years. Cal has made the final four 44.4% of the time compared to Self 20% of the time. Cal has one championship in 9 years and Self has one in 15 years. Cal beat Self in 2012 for the National Championship when it really counted. Cal is 1-0 against Self while at Kentucky in NCAA games which are the ones that really count. Overall they are 3-3 while Cal has been at Kentucky. I will take those results every time.

The problem with your logic is that landing the top recruiting class every year and numerous NBA stars brings with it higher expectations. Hence the 40-0 shirts, excessive media hype and boasts of being the most talented team every.damn.season. Admit it...you guys expect to win it all just about every year.

Yes, he's only been at Kentucky for 9 years. But I love how you guys pretend like none of the Memphis seasons count. He was the favorite to win the national title game in 08. And had several 30+ game winners and highly talented squads there.

The problem with your logic is that landing the top recruiting class every year and numerous NBA stars brings with it higher expectations. Hence the 40-0 shirts, excessive media hype and boasts of being the most talented team every.damn.season. Admit it...you guys expect to win it all just about every year.

Yes, he's only been at Kentucky for 9 years. But I love how you guys pretend like none of the Memphis seasons count. He was the favorite to win the national title game in 08. And had several 30+ game winners and highly talented squads there.
What about Self's record before Kansas. How many final fours did he make? I love how you guys forget his record in the NCAA before Kansas. That works both ways you know.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
What about Self's record before Kansas. How many final fours did he make? I love how you guys forget his record in the NCAA before Kansas. That works both ways you know.
Self was at Illinois and his teams were terrible.

Arguing about small sample sizes with KU and UK makes you look moronic.

Self just came off a Final 4 while Calipari hasn't made a Final 4 since 2015. He's on a downward trend if anything.

Kansas fans, where is your optimism for this team coming from? The Jayhawks lost their 3 best players last year in Graham, Newman and Svi. You're bringing in some Memphis transfers, a really good freshman in Grimes and Udoka should be improved this year.

How does that translate to a squad that should have national title aspirations? Is it because of the rest of the country is just that bad?

Duke lost its entire starting five and is considered a contender. It's called reloading.

They've been ranked #1 in multiple polls and no lower than 2 or 3. Not sure why you imply that only the fanbase is optimistic.

D Lawson 19/10 two seasons ago
KJ Lawson 12/8 two seasons ago
Moore 12/game two seasons ago
Azubuike 13/game, 77% FG
Vick 12/game

Self has called Grimes the best guard he's ever recruited. Dotson might be the fastest PG he's ever had. De Sousa is a rebounding machine. McCormack is a skilled beast.

There's reason for optimism.

Okay, sure, throw in the few years he spent at Illinois. Doesn't exactly change my point.

He was the favorite to win the national title game in 08.

Memphis was favored by an entire 2 points. If Chalmers shot is 2" to the left, Memphis covers. What is your point, exactly, besides throwing out lame stereotypes replete with lame dad jokes like "TM?"

Self just came off a Final 4 while Calipari hasn't made a Final 4 since 2015. He's on a downward trend if anything.

You just stated that "arguing about small sample sizes . . . makes you look moronic," then in the next line conclude that Cal is on "a downward trend" because UK hasn't made a Final Four in the last three (3) tournaments? That definitely makes you look moronic.

Memphis was favored by an entire 2 points. If Chalmers shot is 2" to the left, Memphis covers. What is your point, exactly, besides throwing out lame stereotypes replete with lame dad jokes like "TM?"

You just stated that "arguing about small sample sizes . . . makes you look moronic," then in the next line conclude that Cal is on "a downward trend" because UK hasn't made a Final Four in the last three (3) tournaments? That definitely makes you look moronic.
Nish has been quite the UK/Cal critic lately. He usually is pretty neutral on the topic

Reactions: Big_Blue79

Dad joke eh? Derp.

The point was pretty obvious...You all act like he had no talent prior to Kentucky, as if that marks the beginning of his "real" coaching career, yet his last several Memphis teams were loaded with talent. He wouldn't be at Kentucky if they weren't.

Last edited:
No ones come closer to 40-0 than Kentucky. Not only that but John Calipari has had the last undefeated team standing on 4 separate occasions at 3 different programs in his career. That’s more than any other active coach.

If anyone’s going to do it...

Reactions: wildcatwelder

And what happened in 2012 when Self and Kansas played UK and Cal in the championship game?

Dad joke eh? Derp.

The point was pretty obvious...You all act like he had no talent prior to Kentucky, as if that marks the beginning of his "real" coaching career, yet his last several Memphis teams were loaded with talent. He wouldn't be at Kentucky if they weren't.

Dude, you just love to lump everyone together, don't you? I've certainly never acted like he had no talent at Memphis or UMass, and I haven't seen anyone that's said that (probably because you're arguing with hyperbole, which is just terrible). To the contrary, he had some nice teams, and he coached them up nicely (particularly on D). His recruiting hit another level at UK, and that's just fact, but no one but the strawman in your head is arguing that "he had no talent prior to Kentucky."

Depth. We will have one of the best front courts in the country, and with the addition of Vick, decent shooting from the perimeter. We have a great freshman class coming in, plus the transfers ready to play. Most KU fans are extremely excited about this year’s squad, and I think we have every right to expect nothing less than an elite 8/FF type of run.

^ Hasn't Kansas had upperclassmen guards leading most of their good Self teams? You lost three good ones, and as a UK fan I can assure you that not all 5 star guards are ready to contribute year one. But that frontcourt is legit.

Dude, you just love to lump everyone together, don't you? I've certainly never acted like he had no talent at Memphis or UMass, and I haven't seen anyone that's said that (probably because you're arguing with hyperbole, which is just terrible). To the contrary, he had some nice teams, and he coached them up nicely (particularly on D). His recruiting hit another level at UK, and that's just fact, but no one but the strawman in your head is arguing that "he had no talent prior to Kentucky."

That was meant for whoever made the arbitrary cut off at 9 years.

Calipari started pulling 4 and 5 star players regularly at Memphis around 2004, Self's first year at KU. They had similar levels of talent for the rest of his time at Memphis. And if there were a disparity, it was certainly smaller than the disparity between Calipari's Kentucky talent and Self's rosters. It would make a lot more sense to look at the last 15 years for both.

That was meant for whoever made the arbitrary cut off at 9 years.

Calipari started pulling 4 and 5 star players regularly at Memphis around 2004, Self's first year at KU. They had similar levels of talent for the rest of his time at Memphis. And if there were a disparity, it was certainly smaller than the disparity between Calipari's Kentucky talent and Self's rosters. It would make a lot more sense to look at the last 15 years for both.

Imagine calling everyone in a thread dumb and then equating the platforms of a school that “invented basketball” to a Conference USA team.

I hear readin’ while you’re on the shitter is one of the biggest perks of indoor plumbing.

^ Hasn't Kansas had upperclassmen guards leading most of their good Self teams? You lost three good ones, and as a UK fan I can assure you that not all 5 star guards are ready to contribute year one. But that frontcourt is legit.
We have a senior starter returning in VIck, and a sophomore who had meaningful minutes in Garett. Add in Moore who is a redshirt sophomore (by all accounts a junior) who averaged 12 ppg at Cal and we have returning upperclass leadership. Losing Graham, Svi, and Newman will be hard to replace but with Grimes and Dotson we will be fine. Self loves to run 2 bigs with the high/low and we will have a plethora of bigs to throw at people. Our frontcourt is truly as you say...Legit.

We definitely lost some good ones, but Vick returning isn’t necessarily sloppy seconds. Additionally, the guards we had sitting out last year are more than ready to contribute. We’ll be alright.

This crap drives me nuts. This is what lame Louisville fans do. They weren't "NBA stars" when they were at UK. They were Freshmen, AKA: one year removed from high school and they were playing an a stage with extreme pressure. They were 18 and 19 year old kids.

At least tell the true story and not some lame Louisville tactic that they use to attempt to deflect attention from all their dirty transgressions. You're better than that… .maybe.

@MrBaracus : I can only post once a week, so I have to put my response to you here.

Yes, they are college stars, if you want to call them that. But not all of them and it takes them the entire season to figure college basketball out, then there's a single elimination tournament at the end of the season to decide the champion. Teams like Villanova and UNC win those most of the time, because they are veteran teams. Not sure why KU doesn't win more often, they usually have a nice mix of top freshman and exceptional Juniors and Seniors, I would take that over a bunch of Freshmen.

As far as who's doing the bragging, looks like it's KU fans to me. Uk fans have shown some confidence, but KU fans are taking home the chest thumping Trophy.

Oh and the "6 NBA draft picks" comment, first of all, that's a serious exaggeration and second of all, the NBA drafts on potential, not what they accomplished to that point. Nice try though. UK fans (Duke fans too) never get to see the true talents that these kids have until they are long gone. But you already knew that didn't you? You just had to make someone say it. It's not like Wall, Cousins, Townes, Randle and Fox were putting up their current NBA numbers when they were freshmen at UK.

Last edited:
Imagine calling everyone in a thread dumb and then equating the platforms of a school that “invented basketball” to a Conference USA team.

I hear readin’ while you’re on the shitter is one of the biggest perks of indoor plumbing.

I knew one of you wouldn't be able to resist pulling the "midmajor" card. Always hilarious. As if we're talking about Evansville.

Again...he brought in 4 and 5 star players consistently. His team was favored in the 08 title game. The teams were always ranked, with a good combo of talent and experience.

If Mark Few were hired by UCLA, would you throw out his Gonzaga years? I mean...West Coast Conference? How could he possibly be a player on the national stage? And why the hell would he turn down the Indiana job? Is he insane?

Duke lost its entire starting five and is considered a contender. It's called reloading.

They've been ranked #1 in multiple polls and no lower than 2 or 3. Not sure why you imply that only the fanbase is optimistic.

D Lawson 19/10 two seasons ago
KJ Lawson 12/8 two seasons ago
Moore 12/game two seasons ago
Azubuike 13/game, 77% FG
Vick 12/game

Self has called Grimes the best guard he's ever recruited. Dotson might be the fastest PG he's ever had. De Sousa is a rebounding machine. McCormack is a skilled beast.

There's reason for optimism.

Speaking of DeSousa...

This crap drives me nuts. This is what lame Louisville fans do. They weren't "NBA stars" when they were at UK. They were Freshmen, AKA: one year removed from high school and they were playing an a stage with extreme pressure. They were 18 and 19 year old kids.

At least tell the true story and not some lame Louisville tactic that they use to attempt to deflect attention from all their dirty transgressions. You're better than that… .maybe.

No, you're right...they were college stars.

Please don't tell me that a team with 6 NBA draft choices shouldn't have higher expectations than a team with 1. I mean, are fan and media expectations not through the roof every year? Until after the season if the results aren't satisfactory, of course.

Look at this season. Once again, preseason #1 by some polls and every UK fan is hyping them to be the best. Yet the rotation includes exactly one player with substantial experience and they will rely heavily upon freshmen once again.

You guys act as if you have 13 freshmen every season. When the rotation is freshmen-dominated, it's because they're the best players on the roster. Nobody wants to hear excuses from a guy who is "forced" to play 5 star frosh (usually at least two of which are bonafide stars) over the high 4 star upperclassmen buried at the end of his bench.

If it's so damn hard to win big with freshmen, yet he perpetuates this revolving door recruiting system...does that mean he doesn't care about winning?

No, you're right...they were college stars.

Please don't tell me that a team with 6 NBA draft choices shouldn't have higher expectations than a team with 1. I mean, are fan and media expectations not through the roof every year? Until after the season if the results aren't satisfactory, of course.

Look at this season. Once again, preseason #1 by some polls and every UK fan is hyping them to be the best. Yet the rotation includes exactly one player with substantial experience and they will rely heavily upon freshmen once again.

You guys act as if you have 13 freshmen every season. When the rotation is freshmen-dominated, it's because they're the best players on the roster. Nobody wants to hear excuses from a guy who is "forced" to play 5 star frosh (usually at least two of which are bonafide stars) over the high 4 star upperclassmen buried at the end of his bench.

If it's so damn hard to win big with freshmen, yet he perpetuates this revolving door recruiting system...does that mean he doesn't care about winning?
You're just as guilty of hyperbole as the UK fans you seem infatuated with.

smh. #kentuckyeffect

I knew one of you wouldn't be able to resist pulling the "midmajor" card. Always hilarious. As if we're talking about Evansville.

Again...he brought in 4 and 5 star players consistently. His team was favored in the 08 title game. The teams were always ranked, with a good combo of talent and experience.

If Mark Few were hired by UCLA, would you throw out his Gonzaga years? I mean...West Coast Conference? How could he possibly be a player on the national stage? And why the hell would he turn down the Indiana job? Is he insane?

I know, it’s almost like the mf making 8MM a year to coach basketball said it himself.

This isn’t a hypothetical, and Indiana hasn’t won a title since I’ve been alive.

Do you think Mark Few has the same platform as Bill Self as well?

UK fans aren't necessarily crazy they just have a low IQ as a group. The numbers support this.

You're just as guilty of hyperbole as the UK fans you seem infatuated with.

smh. #kentuckyeffect

Which part? 6 draft picks? He had 6 twice, 5 another year. Has averaged 4/yr since he's been there. 19 lottery picks. Kentucky's last lottery pick before Calipari came in 1997.

I know, it’s almost like the mf making 8MM a year to coach basketball said it himself.

This isn’t a hypothetical, and Indiana hasn’t won a title since I’ve been alive.

Do you think Mark Few has the same platform as Bill Self as well?

You're right...no one considers Indiana a prestigious program anymore. And it's not as if there's any in-state talent. Terrible job.

Apparently neither his fans nor Calipari himself think that highly of his abilities. Comparable talent isn't enough...he needs double the talent (35 NBA draft picks to 17 since arriving at Kentucky) before being compared to Self.

Yeah but Kentucky has 8 championships to kansas’s Pathetic 3. Are you sure you’re even a blue blood? You better be careful playing that de Sosa guy, you may have to vacate all those wins.

Which part? 6 draft picks? He had 6 twice, 5 another year. Has averaged 4/yr since he's been there. 19 lottery picks. Kentucky's last lottery pick before Calipari came in 1997.

Draft picks don’t equate to college stardom. Hami and Vanderbilt were both drafted this year and neither were anywhere close to being able to give meaningful minutes to a legit title contender. Idk. Maybe as a 6th or 7th man. But hami started a large part of the season and had one good game after January.

Skal is another guy that just wasn’t ready when he was here but clearly had a ton of upside.

Enes Kanter never played a game for us.

Ultimately though it all falls on Cal. He knows these kids intentions when he recruits them. But now even when we get kids that should be solid multi year guys that they leave if they don’t immediately get 30 minutes a game or we recruit anyone else at their position.

I will say, it seems more and more of the fan base are growing tired of the “we’re young” excuse. Stop going after kids like hamidou Diallo then. Nice kid. But he was never going to be here long enough to actually help win games.

Apparently neither his fans nor Calipari himself think that highly of his abilities. Comparable talent isn't enough...he needs double the talent (35 NBA draft picks to 17 since arriving at Kentucky) before being compared to Self.

You still didn’t answer my question.

Does Mark Few have the same platform as Bill Self?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT