ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Capel to Pitt

lol what possible agenda could anyone have against Pitt??

I get you guys being excited, because there’s no where to go but up. But Capel is not a good coach. Between his last two years at OU, and stallings last two years at Pitt, guess who had the best season out of those four? (Hint: it wasn’t capel).
I think that's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. With Stallings, he inherited an NCAA tourney team with all but three players returning and went 16-17. Capel had most of his team leave during the recruiting debacle and finished with a respectable 14 wins.

If you can't tell, I love Capel enough already to stand up for him. That wasn't the case for Stallings. If you come for the head coach, you best not miss ;)

The fact Scheyer and Smith aren't still making money overseas shows how lucky 2010 Duke was to avoid the top dogs to win the 2010 title.

Not really. The 2010 was really under appreciated. #5 defense and the #1 offense that year. 2nd best National Title team in the KenPom era:

1. 2015 Kentucky, 36.91
2. 2008 Kansas, 35.21
3. 2002 Duke, 34.19
4. 2015 Wisconsin, 33.72
5. 2011 Ohio State, 33.47
6. 2010 Duke, 33.29
7. 2013 Louisville, 32.92
8. 2005 UNC, 32.77

9. 2005 Illinois, 32.68
10. 2012 Kentucky, 32.59

Not really. The 2010 was really under appreciated. #5 defense and the #1 offense that year. 2nd best National Title team in the KenPom era:

1. 2015 Kentucky, 36.91
2. 2008 Kansas, 35.21
3. 2002 Duke, 34.19
4. 2015 Wisconsin, 33.72
5. 2011 Ohio State, 33.47
6. 2010 Duke, 33.29
7. 2013 Louisville, 32.92
8. 2005 UNC, 32.77

9. 2005 Illinois, 32.68
10. 2012 Kentucky, 32.59
It also had 5 future NBA players on it (I think)... Lance Thomas, Ryan Kelly (now playing in Europe), both Plumlees, and Singler. Scheyer suffered an eye injury that ended his playing career, not sure about Nolan Smith.... he was just kind of that really good college player that didn't translate to NBA success.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I think your agenda or whatever is with Capel, not Pitt. UNC fan right?

Yes I'm a UNC fan, no I don't have an "agenda" against Capel, whatever that might mean. I hope it works out for Pitt, the ACC is a better conference with them being a tourney team. But Capel's body of work as a HC is mediocre at best. He bottomed out pretty hard at OU, there's no way around that. It's not a slam dunk that his recruiting prowess will transfer. Recruiting to Pitt as the HC is not the same as hand picking the top players to play at duke with K still running the show.

I understand Pitt fans being excited because there is upside given his reputation as a recruiter, and all it takes in basketball is a couple good classes to back to back. I just don't see it as a foregone conclusion that he will quickly have them relevant again.

Capel will certainly, in my opinion, have them relevant somewhat soon. Which is what Pittsburgh needs right now.

Capel had Oklahoma very good at their best, bad at their worst, but always got talent. Having spent years with K now, I'm confident his coaching has gotten better and, at the very least, Pittsburgh should consistently be a bubble team. Which again, I'm sure Pitt will take right now. Maybe in a few years they'll no longer be happy with that. But right now, it's a homerun in my opinion - given the circumstances.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Very solid hire for Pitt. Thought Capel could do better. Stallings was a disaster at Pitt. Capel will have to build them from ground zero. Could pick up a couple of solid recruits and grad transfers and make a quick turnaround. He clearly has plenty of minutes to offer.

The fact Scheyer and Smith aren't still making money overseas shows how lucky 2010 Duke was to avoid the top dogs to win the 2010 title.

Uhh... you realize that Jon had his eye poked out of the socket and is like half blind, right?

We were the top dogs in 2010. You know how I know? Because we beat everyone. Other people lost to crappy teams.
Wow what position did you play

lol what possible agenda could anyone have against Pitt??

I get you guys being excited, because there’s no where to go but up. But Capel is not a good coach. Between his last two years at OU, and stallings last two years at Pitt, guess who had the best season out of those four? (Hint: it wasn’t capel).
I think your agenda or whatever is with Capel, not Pitt. UNC fan right?
Either that or a pissed off Duke fan

Uh, I was not just a Duke student, but I was also a varsity-letter winning athlete who represented Duke in competition against a host of other schools. So... “we”.
They had talent but they were the weakest FF duke team ever.

They had talent but they were the weakest FF duke team ever.

No, they weren't. I would take 2010 Duke over several other famous Duke teams, including the 2015 title team. I have no idea why, but people seem to really not credit the 2010 team with enough. Not only did they have a ton of talent (Scheyer, Smith, and Singler are as close to retired jerseys as you can get without getting retired, and five other players on that team got at least SOME time in the NBA) but they were one of the two toughest Duke teams, top to bottom, in history, with a good claim to being the toughest.

I get that they didn't have a sexy talent for outsiders to cling to, but there is a reason that they won a title, and teams like the John Wall/Cousins UK team did not.

but there is a reason that they won a title

Yeah, and that reason is because the best team they faced was Baylor (lol). They beat a 5 seed and a 9 seed mid major in the semis/final.

Yeah, and that reason is because the best team they faced was Baylor (lol). They beat a 5 seed and a 9 seed mid major in the semis/final.
2010 Duke team had more talent than 2017 UNC. They also beat the pants off of WVU in the final four and UNC 82-50.

2010 Duke team had more talent than 2017 UNC. They also beat the pants off of WVU in the final four and UNC 82-50.

They crushed the second worst UNC team in the past 50 years?? Well by all means they must be an all time great! Cmon man...

As to the comparison with 2017 UNC, Meeks and Hicks would have absolutely eaten Zoubek’s lunch inside. Singler and Jackson are pretty comparable small forwards, same for Nolan Smith and Berry at PG. Senior Scheyer probably gets the nod over junior Pinson. UNC was deeper and bigger, duke shot the 3 better. I would take UNC is a 7 game series but that is obviously subjective. We can probably all agree that they are the least talented championship teams from each school. Interesting debate.

They crushed the second worst UNC team in the past 50 years?? Well by all means they must be an all time great! Cmon man...

As to the comparison with 2017 UNC, Meeks and Hicks would have absolutely eaten Zoubek’s lunch inside. Singler and Jackson are pretty comparable small forwards, same for Nolan Smith and Berry at PG. Senior Scheyer probably gets the nod over junior Pinson. UNC was deeper and bigger, duke shot the 3 better. I would take UNC is a 7 game series but that is obviously subjective. We can probably all agree that they are the least talented championship teams from each school. Interesting debate.
Incorrect but I'm talking strictly NBA talent. 2010 Duke had more.

ADVERTISEMENT