ADVERTISEMENT

James Wiseman

I'm really fighting back the urge to bring up Memphis 80's vacated FF, or when Calipari helped get dude from Washington mom get a job at FedEx HQ.

Honestly, man. At this point, I’m not even casting stones. I’m genuinely entertained.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
So as long as you aren’t a booster at a school you can pay/do whatever u want to help prospects/recruits.

I’m not saying UK should have got in trouble, I’m saying Bledsoe should have been ineligible just like the ncaa is saying wiseman should be.

Getting preferential HS grading from someone not involved with a college = playing for a coach that paid your family.

Holy fvck just stop

That’s bc you can’t argue that I’m wrong. Ur in Memphis, google Memphis’s records and recruiting before and after Dejuan Wagner played for calipari.

You already hinted at him getting a recruits mom a job, he did the same thing for Dejuan’s dad.

Cats Fans Happy with Tonight’s Outcomes
by Matt Jones @ 11:52 pm. Filed under Blue Blooded Opinions
52188808.jpg

If you are a Kentucky fan, tonight could not have gone any better. Both UCLA and UNC lost, which means that the two programs that join Kentucky as laying claim to the greatest program ever were not able to add to their total number of championships. UCLA looked to be simply not as good as a Memphis team that is getting better and better every game in this tournament. Kansas was as good as a team can be for 14 minutes in the first half….then was headed towards a classic Kansas choke job…..before rebounding and looking great in the last 8 minutes as well. UNC and UCLA both believed this was their year and were ready to cut down the nets….neither were able to do it and both may have missed their chance. UNC could be back if Tyler returns, but the loss of Love, Collison, etc, means UCLA has to regroup next season.

Kansas vs Memphis….it is time for Kansas to win another. Memphis is a great team, but I simply cant pull for Calipari and the way he runs a program. Rock Chalk Jayhawk

I don't like the NBA either, once the one n done rule is gone. players like this kid will go straight to the NBA anyway, so I don't understand these crybabies about not getting to see him. never was in favor of the one n done rule.

give me the 4 year player every time. lets me get the chance to learn his name.
Amen.

I dont understand people not having an issue with this. You take $11.5k, you dont get to play in the NCAA (especially not for the guy who paid your family's $11.5k expenses.)

It sucks for the kid, but what is the point of even having rules if we are gonna just hand waive them away?

I don't care who got away with what, two wrongs dont make a right and anyone caught breaking rules should be punished.

Great point and thank you, that’s the only reason I even brought the Bledsoe situation into the conversation. I’m sorry he had a tough childhood, but that shouldn’t mean the ncaa should have just “hand waived” their rules.

And yea 11.5k is more than a bit excessive to move from Nashville to Memphis, that’s not even across the entire state much less the nation.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Getting preferential HS grading from someone not involved with a college = playing for a coach that paid your family.

Holy fvck just stop

I said I definitely see the difference. What ur not seeing is that ANY impermissible benefit = ineligible player. And it wasn’t preferential HS grading, it was blatant grade changing in which his high school math teacher went on record and said Bledsoe ended up with a higher grade in her class than the grade she gave him aka the grade he earned for the schoolwork he did in her classroom.

Great point and thank you, that’s the only reason I even brought the Bledsoe situation into the conversation. I’m sorry he had a tough childhood, but that shouldn’t mean the ncaa should have just “hand waived” their rules.

And yea 11.5k is more than a bit excessive to move from Nashville to Memphis, that’s not even across the entire state much less the nation.
Ppl are confusing the money with paying for a basketball player and just helping a friend.But continue with he paid "11.5K".

You should have, by know, read the difference. I'm not going to correct you an longer. Just run with ignorance. Also you have no idea about moving cost. Where's is the furthest you've ever moved from your parents home?

But go on and tell more about his situation..

Last edited:
There is concrete evidence that UL is dirty. Show me the evidence on the schools you mentioned. I repeat, the rest is speculation.

I’m not even gonna attempt to try this boards burden of proof. If u think ur team never provided any impermissible benefits after all the wire taps, blanket statements, bagmens ledgers, etc believe what u want I don’t really care.

Are u the same dude that tried to argue with me that Adidas was the only brand paying players bc they were always playing catch-up to Nike, despite the fact that a Nike executive text Kenny Payne saying how they had to pay families small ransoms just to play for 38/40 of their AAU teams but Nike doesn’t pay players to go to Nike schools, like having them on a Nike aau team would recoup the “small ransoms” they had to pay to keep the kids on the Nike circuit. it’s ur world dude, thanks for letting the rest of us have some oxygen.

That might not have been you, I can’t keep everyone’s handles straight.

I’m not even gonna attempt to try this boards burden of proof. If u think ur team never provided any impermissible benefits after all the wire taps, blanket statements, bagmens ledgers, etc believe what u want I don’t really care.

Are u the same dude that tried to argue with me that Adidas was the only brand paying players bc they were always playing catch-up to Nike, despite the fact that a Nike executive text Kenny Payne saying how they had to pay families small ransoms just to play for 38/40 of their AAU teams but Nike doesn’t pay players to go to Nike schools, like having them on a Nike aau team would recoup the “small ransoms” they had to pay to keep the kids on the Nike circuit. it’s ur world dude, thanks for letting the rest of us have some oxygen.

Revisionist history is fun.

nope wasn’t me. Fact is I don’t know who is paying who, except UL. I can throw out baseless accusations like you do, but if I were a fan of a school who got caught paying players after a stripper/whore scandal I’d prolly hold my tongue. But that’s just me.

Reactions: oldsports_
Ppl are confusing the money with paying for a basketball player and just helping a friend.But continue with he paid "11.5K".

You should have, by know, read the difference. I'm not going to correct you an longer. Just run with ignorance. Also you have no idea about moving cost. Where's is the furthest you've ever moved from your parents home?

But go on and tell more about his situation..

My sister moved from Washington DC to San Francisco and did it wayyyyyyy cheaper than 11.5k. She’s only one person not an entire family but I have a hard time believing it took 11.5 K to move halfway across the state of Tennessee. If I’m wrong I def effed up my entire life and should have gotten into the moving business.

My sister moved from Washington DC to San Francisco and did it wayyyyyyy cheaper than 11.5k. She’s only one person not an entire family but I have a hard time believing it took 11.5 K to move halfway across the state of Tennessee. If I’m wrong I def effed up my entire life and should have gotten into the moving business.
You're using your sister as a base line.That's a problem in logic.

It would cost me thousands to move to my next doors neighbors house. For some it's not just picking up a few cardboard boxes and furniture.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
There are six HCs who were implicated in a court of law for paying players, agents and runners. Still coaching. Wiseman suspended. The Department of Education should demand its member institutions disband the NCAA as a governing body for college athletics.

nope wasn’t me. Fact is I don’t know who is paying who, except UL. I can throw out baseless accusations like you do, but if I were a fan of a school who got caught paying players after a stripper/whore scandal I’d prolly hold my tongue. But that’s just me.

Apologies then. Might have been jc3 or whoever. And these “baseless allegations” are more like common f***ing sense. But I get it, I would have never thought Louisville was involved in the fbi stuff until we were, just based on the fact that we rarely landed five star top ten recruits, while other schools land multiple top ten recruits every single year. But then I found out schools like DePaul and creighton are doing the same thing and not landing top recruits, while schools like Arizona and Kansas were doing the same thing and landing 5 star burger boys.

I don’t see how anyone can think anything other than every school must be doing the same things too. If irrelevant programs to blue bloods were doing it, I assume everyone must be doing it too. But maybe I’m wrong. I’ve been wrong before and I’m sure I will be again in the future.

Penny is a booster..he contributed in a big way -
Penny Hardaway Hall Of Fame Building On University Of Memphis Campus.

U asked if I had any clue on the costs of moving and my sister just moved across the country, about as far as you can move unless we bring Alaska and Hawaii into the conversation. Sorry I don’t have a larger sample size for you.

And Im not trying to troll but what do you have to move besides personal belongings, furniture and appliances that would cost thousands to move next door? And I’m not trying to dive into ur personal life I just find that hard to believe. I mean are u well off and just have that much stuff? Honestly it doesn’t even matter I’m being a little invasive for a anonymous message board.

I mean It would cost me thousands to move just one city over bc of the work equipment I’d have to move, but not the house next door. I could do that in a weekend. It would suck but I could do it.

And I admitted my sister is just one person she doesn’t have a family. but still 11.5k seems a bit excessive imo to move what 100 miles or so. If the wisemans had that much stuff they shouldn’t have needed financial help moving in the first place imo.

Last edited:
And yea I thought this was complete ncaa horse manure until I learned that helping them move involved $11.5k Guess I need to get in the u haul business.

Reactions: keith37
There are six HCs who were implicated in a court of law for paying players, agents and runners. Still coaching. Wiseman suspended. The Department of Education should demand its member institutions disband the NCAA as a governing body for college athletics.

Agreed. Hell we fired our coach and AD for nothing the way things are playing out. Don’t get me wrong I love Coach Mack, but still how in the hell do wade and miller get to keep their jobs after being proven to be DIRECTLY involved in the pay to play scandal.

Funny thing is, everything UK inside me should be glad. Then knowing the details, I know a young guy is getting f'd over.

There's no need explain to the ignorant anymore. Wiseman is being straight f'd. He'll be fine and make millions in the NBA. We as fans, won't be able to watching him in our sport, due to a moving expense.

We've gotta keep it fair and ignore other...nvm

Funny thing is, everything UK inside me should be glad. Then knowing the details, I know a young guy is getting f'd over.

There's no need explain to the ignorant anymore. Wiseman is being straight f'd. He'll be fine and make millions in the NBA. We as fans, won't be able to watching him in our sport, due to a moving expense.

We've gotta keep it fair and ignore other...nvm

Lurker, the young guy could have went to any other school in the country and I don’t think anyone would be calling for him to sit. It was his choice to go to the school that hired a coach that paid his family.

BTW, Memphis national rankings just dropped tremendously. #1 recruiting class, poof, early season rankings poof. NCAA just helped other teams as much as thy punishd UM.

Lurker, the young guy could have went to any other school in the country and I don’t think anyone would be calling for him to sit. It was his choice to go to the school that hired a coach that paid his family.
Wiseman wasn't #1 recruit Wiseman when this happened. Penny wasn't even a consideration of being the UM coach. Penny and Wiseman's mom go way back. Penny had NBA money, it's wasn't buying a player due to there was nothing to buy by someone not in a position to buy.
I digress. I've made my point and knowledge. Run with whatever.

...and yes, he decided to play for his mom's friend. UM fired Tubby and hired Penny just to keep Wiseman from going to UK.

So as long as you aren’t a booster at a school you can pay/do whatever u want to help prospects/recruits.

I’m not saying UK should have got in trouble, I’m saying Bledsoe should have been ineligible just like the ncaa is saying wiseman should be.

He paid for the guy to do what that helped out any college program? You aren't ineligible because some principal gives you money to go to HS somewhere. That isn't a violation.

I think Wiseman is getting screwed here but I also think Penny is a douchebag so I'm torn. In the end I hate it for the kid though despite his coach being kind of a tool.

He paid for the guy to do what that helped out any college program? You aren't ineligible because some principal gives you money to go to HS somewhere. That isn't a violation.

I think Wiseman is getting screwed here but I also think Penny is a douchebag so I'm torn. In the end I hate it for the kid though despite his coach being kind of a tool.
The thing is, Penny is actually a great guy, he has erected sports complexs to help get memphis kids get off the streets. That's a big deal here. He's comes off like an asshole due to his Memphis vs. the world mentality. He sucks at promoting Memphis.

This is another situation where the NCAA got it wrong. Also, I fully expect tonight's game to later be vacated by the NCAA,

The thing is, Penny is actually a great guy, he has erected sports complexs to help get memphis kids get off the streets. That's a big deal here. He's comes off like an asshole due to his Memphis vs. the world mentality. He sucks at promoting Memphis.

I'm sure he is a great guy. Most people are. My criticism of him is due to all the dumb things he says and the petty insecurities he carries around with him. Be that way but not at the expense of others. Regardless, as a Tennessee resident I hope they do well.

Wiseman wasn't #1 recruit Wiseman when this happened. Penny wasn't even a consideration of being the UM coach. Penny and Wiseman's mom go way back. Penny had NBA money, it's wasn't buying a player due to there was nothing to buy by someone not in a position to buy.
I digress. I've made my point and knowledge. Run with whatever.

...and yes, he decided to play for his mom's friend. UM fired Tubby and hired Penny just to keep Wiseman from going to UK.

Penny was a Memphis booster. You don’t go play for a booster coach that gave money to your family and then get my sympathy when the NCAA says “yeah, no”. I’d have no problem with him playing for any other college but he chose then one where his booster family friend coaches and paid his family. Sucks but was easily avoidable.

Penny was a Memphis booster. You don’t go play for a booster coach that gave money to your family and then get my sympathy when the NCAA says “yeah, no”. I’d have no problem with him playing for any other college but he chose then one where his booster family friend coaches and paid his family. Sucks but was easily avoidable.
Again, this wasn't some act to get a top player to play at Memphis. Wiseman wasn't #1 and Penny was coaching Middle or HS with zero idea he'd one day coach at Memphis, much less coach Wiseman at Memphis.

You're saying players should never play for anyone who ever helped them out in real life. But yeah, Penny should have kept his money, let Wiseman's mom work it out on her own. She should have known she was putting her son's eligibility on the line by accepting help from a childhood friend, who isn't even in discussion of one day coaching at a University.

Last edited:
Again, this wasn't some act to get a top player to play at Memphis. Wiseman wasn't #1 and Penny was coaching Middle or HS with zero idea he'd one day coach at Memphis, much less coach Wiseman at Memphis.

You're saying players should never play for anyone who ever helped them out in real life. But yeah, Penny should have kept his money, let Wiseman's mom work it out on her own. She should have known she was putting her son's eligibility on the line by accepting help from a childhood friend, who isn't even in discussion of one day coaching at a University.

Penny is a booster for Memphis.
Penny paid money to Wiseman’s family.
Penny is the coach for Memphis.

Whether or not it was some act to get the top player is irrelevant. The above circumstances make it so pretty clear that Wiseman should not have been recruited by or committed to Memphis with the ncaa rules that are in place.

Whether or not it was some act to get the top player is irrelevant. The above circumstances make it so pretty clear that Wiseman should not have been recruited by or committed to Memphis with the ncaa rules that are in place.
I'm not buying that Penny never knew he would be the coach at Memphis either. Let's not forget they fired Tubby Smith after only his 2nd year and a 21-win season to hire Hardaway. You know Memphis was in Penny's ear long before that and it was the right time to hire him with all his high school and AAU connections.

How this is not obvious to literally everyone is beyond me. I get the fact that the NCAA sucks, but this is a pretty core tenant of college sports. You cant play for a coach who paid your family. Period.

Penny has known the Wiseman family prior to him really blowing up on a national scale. Him helping them move, while can be seen as self motivated, was basically showing up with a Uhaul and literally helping them move back to Memphis.
Since when do Uhaul’s cost $11,500?

I’m not a Louisville booster or alumni, don’t have season tickets, nothing but a fan. Does that mean I could go pay a recruit or his family rent money or car payment money to commit to Louisville and it would be A OK bc im not a booster?
Absolutely. I say do it. jumpingsmile

A similar situation happened with Kansas and Darnell Jackson. A KU booster helped his family out in OKC for an amount estimated to be $5,000. The support began even before Jackson was playing high school basketball. He had good intentions since Jackson’s family was struggling but it was still ruled a violation once he committed to Kansas.

He got suspended for 9 games and Kansas was ordered to repay the $5,000 to the booster.

Let's hope this guy is part of it when they lose their first tourney game vs St. Mary's.

Always a chance that doesn't age well. Love the internet.

ADVERTISEMENT