ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the best new HC hire this month?

Ever heard of Roy Williams?
How many similarities are there with him? I can point to a thousand other assistants that have failed. Once again, he has to recruit and coach at kstate. Big difference for Roy recruiting to Kansas. Also Roy was alot younger than tang

How many similarities are there with him? I can point to a thousand other assistants that have failed. Once again, he has to recruit and coach at kstate. Big difference for Roy recruiting to Kansas. Also Roy was alot younger than tang
Tang doesn't think it's hard to recruit to Kstate

He would certainly be the hottest name of the new hires.

Their performance over the past 10 days does beg the question, though: how did this group of guys perform so weakly all season? As was just pointed out on College Gameday, prior to beating UK, they had beaten two (2!) teams all season with a winning record.

Is he a great coach or did the stars just align?

I think "great" is definitely premature. But, St. Peters is borderline impossible to win at and he just got them to the Elite 8. Of course the stars aligned, the tournament is about getting hot and playing your best basketball at the right time. Having a winning record 3 years in a row at St. Peters is very impressive.

Now with that said, a lot of Seton Hall fans were still weary on whether he was ready to coach at the Big East level but he's proven himself with this run.

For another program he may not be a "home run" but for Seton Hall he absolutely will be. New practice facility in the works soon & Seton Hall typically struggles getting its alumni to donate. The fan base is very excited with this hire, Sha was already well respected and is coming in day 1 increasing our national exposure.

He'll have a NJ/NYC staff that can recruit. Seton Hall has struggled to keep talent in state and while we're not going to be pull 5 stars consistently he will recruit better than Willard (who burned bridges with some of the top HS programs in state)

He basically checks every box for what the program needs right now. This is his dream job and lets be real very few are saying that about Seton Hall.

Their performance over the past 10 days does beg the question, though: how did this group of guys perform so weakly all season? As was just pointed out on College Gameday, prior to beating UK, they had beaten two (2!) teams all season with a winning record.

We now have a coach that can recruit as well as $ Bill can.
No more talent mis match.
Cats will W their share of games v Birds.

are-you-stupid-or-something.gif

Tang doesn't think it's hard to recruit to Kstate
Sure, but he has to prove it first. It will be interesting. You never know what you’re gonna get with an assistant hire. I’ll hold off judgement until I’ve seen a full year of results.

Who recruited (most of the) players the Bears had when they W the natty?
Baylor has been a successful program for quite some time. Often when a good recruiter leaves, those programs still manage to find talented players, so it's never clear as to whether they truly were a great recruiter or weren't a great recruiter. That being said, I do think he'll get good talent to Manhattan. As good as he did in WACO? Probably not. I'd personally choose Manhattan over WACO(extremely boring). But WACO being a boring place, it's still close by to a lot of talent, which is why both Baylor programs have continued to recruit well despite being, in my opinion, one of the most boring college towns in the country.

Recruiting aside, we do not know how Tang will perform. Maybe he'll be a solid coach. Maybe not. I think he was a decent to good hire, but we truly do not know. It's hard to ever know what you're getting when you hire an assistant. A ton of good recruiters have ended up not getting the talent to campus like it was thought they would. Even more do get the talent, but never do much with it. We don't know whether Tang will be able to BOTH get talent AND coach it up. So yeah, it's a bit premature to be out there predicting that you're going to go toe to toe with KU, or even Baylor/TT.

I get the excitement, I truly do. I really like Lance Leipold. I think he's doing great so far at KU, and I think KU football is in the best shape it's been in for a long time and I'm actually optimistic about our football program for the first time in a long long time. But I'm not about to go out there predicting that we're going to go toe to toe with Oklahoma as a program. I do realize that turning around a basketball program is easier and takes less time, but the analogy fits imo.

Lol.

Better start on-campus, first, CAT.

Why would a kid like that stay at a basketball wasteland like K-State?

(Answer: NIL; so you’ll better open the checkbooks.)

Vegas...........plain and simple. Always Vegas.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I don’t believe many people share this opinion, but Mizzou won the head coaching lottery by hiring Dennis Gates. Not sure why their fanbase is lukewarm on him.
Because they have a history of making bad hires. I mean hell, they could have hired Self but hired Quinn Snyder instead. Anderson is the only decent coach they’ve had and he’s mediocre at best.

ADVERTISEMENT