ADVERTISEMENT

Is Jon Scheyer in over his head?….

The truth is, the roster just isn’t very good, and I’m not entirely sure you can blame Scheyer for that. He signed a great class according to the pundits, but Whitehead, Lively and Mitchell just aren’t great at this point. Roach is not going to carry any team, either.

Probably could’ve constructed a better shooting team, but I’d say it’s more indicative of a really underperforming class as opposed to bad coaching. Scheyer’s done nothing to give a ton of of confidence either, but it’s a hard class to judge him on given that it seemed loaded.

The truth is, the roster just isn’t very good, and I’m not entirely sure you can blame Scheyer for that. He signed a great class, but Whitehead, Lively and Mitchell just aren’t great at this point. Roach is not going to carry any team, either.

Probably could’ve constructed a better shooting team, but I’d say it’s more indicative of a really underperforming class as opposed to bad coaching. Scheyer’s done nothing to give a ton of of confidence either, but it’s a hard class to judge him on given that it seemed loaded.
I don't think I've watched a game yet with Whitehead or Lively playing. Granted I don't watch a lot of Duke games.

With that said Mitchell has been super impressive to me on the way he can drive to the basket and score through contact.

Reactions: AuHoosier420
He's looking more like Cal's protégé than K's, losing to inferior opponents with a roster stacked with NBA talent. Gonna get even uglier with Whitehead out again.

I don't think I've watched a game yet with Whitehead or Lively playing. Granted I don't watch a lot of Duke games.

With that said Mitchell has been super impressive to me on the way he can drive to the basket and score through contact.
Mitchell would be a great 6th man on a good team, but he’s not close to being good enough to be a focal point like he is this year.

You’ve probably seen Whitehead and Lively play and just didn’t notice them. Lively is coming along as a rebounder and he can protect the rim at least, but Whitehead is just…there.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I also completely forgot Proctor existed until I just looked at some stats, which says everything worth knowing about Proctor.

First-year coaches have to get their roster set. That could take 3 to 4 years.
11 of the scholarship players are his guys, including the top recruiting class and some top transfers. The only holdovers from K are Roach and Blakes. Besides, rosters are flipped around much quicker now with free agency. Cal does it every year.

Reactions: PA_Panther
Way too early to write him off. I hate Duke as much as anybody but he definitely gets 2-3 year buffer. That being said, truly great / elite coaches win fast in all sports. If Duke is not top ten by year 3, chances are Scheyer isn't that guy.

Way too early to write him off. I hate Duke as much as anybody but he definitely gets 2-3 year buffer. That being said, truly great / elite coaches win fast in all sports. If Duke is not top ten by year 3, chances are Scheyer isn't that guy.
I don't think anyone is under the assumption that he's gonna get canned, just stating the obvious underperformance to this point.

Reactions: F-Duke
My wish list is pretty simple this year.

1. Beat Carolina
2. Win a game in the tournament

And if it's not too much to ask, I'll take Filipowski for Year 2.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan

1. Beat Carolina

No one wants to see Fliphowski for Year 2.
I wonder how he'll do in the NBA so he seems like a guy who'd stay four years.
Peak in college.

I was wondering if K would have a better record with the same group of guys.
No, maybe he would have berated the refs enough to get a Flagrant 1 called on the Va Tech guy that slashed Flip in the throat though while celebrating.

Its a young roster that has a tough time creating good scoring opportunities and has trouble shooting. Not a great combo.

They seem to play well at home and neutral sites though which is where the postseason is played. We"ll see what happens.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The truth is, the roster just isn’t very good, and I’m not entirely sure you can blame Scheyer for that. He signed a great class according to the pundits, but Whitehead, Lively and Mitchell just aren’t great at this point. Roach is not going to carry any team, either.

that must really suck when your #1 nationally ranked recruiting class ends up sucking balls. Maybe if Duke had the #1 class but also the players from the #2 class that would be enough of an advantage for Duke to finish in the top 25?

1. Beat Carolina

Dream Scenario in 2023
Starters: Proctor, McCain, Mitchell, Mgbako, Flip
Bench: Foster, Schutt, Stewart, Young

That would be a contender for sure. Proctor and Flip are developing nicely.

Reactions: dukedevilz
that must really suck when your #1 nationally ranked recruiting class ends up sucking balls. Maybe if Duke had the #1 class but also the players from the #2 class that would be enough of an advantage for Duke to finish in the top 25?
The High School Class of 2022 just didn't have any ready made NBA pros which sucks for Duke and UK who rely on them to be elite from the start.

What freshmen are really lighting it up compared to the studs of the years past?

Dream Scenario in 2023
Starters: Proctor, McCain, Mitchell, Mgbako, Flip
Bench: Foster, Schutt, Stewart, Young

That would be a contender for sure. Proctor and Flip are developing nicely.

Would love that lineup.

We've got TJ Power coming in, too.

First-year coaches have to get their roster set. That could take 3 to 4 years.
recruiting and the transfer portal has narrowed that time frame down significantly .
Nate Oats 2nd year at Bama, the team went to the sweet 16 and finished the year 5th in the nation.

The High School Class of 2022 just didn't have any ready made NBA pros which sucks for Duke and UK who rely on them to be elite from the start.

What freshmen are really lighting it up compared to the studs of the years past?

Brandon Miller is the only one playing at an All-American level, IMO.

Gradey Dick, Keyonte George, and Filipowksi are the next best freshmen - and they're playing closer to Honorable Mention All-American type level.

Next year's class is underwhelming too.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Duke has as many 5-stars on this team as DePaul has seasons above .500 in the last 23 years, so you may have a point.

He's looking more like Cal's protégé than K's, losing to inferior opponents with a roster stacked with NBA talent. Gonna get even uglier with Whitehead out again.
Who besides Filipowski is an nba talent on Duke?

Who ranks these kids? Colleges or services who want to sell subscriptions?

Reactions: Random UK Fan
LOL.... stop it. Go take a look at the mock drafts before the season started.
Who is an NBA talent based on actually playing a college game.

Preseason rankings mean nothing.

The actual games do.

Lively is soft. Mitchell is athletic but can’t shoot. Whitehead is good, but injured and nothing special. Proctor is not an nba pg right now.

Seriously, we all wondered what would happen when K hung it up.

He created a brand and players have followed.

I wonder how long that will last?

Who is an NBA talent based on actually playing a college game.

Preseason rankings mean nothing.

The actual games do.

Lively is soft. Mitchell is athletic but can’t shoot. Whitehead is good, but injured and nothing special. Proctor is not an nba pg right now.
Oh, my bad. I thought you were touting Duke's 2022 class really hard during the pre-season. I must be mistaken.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT