ADVERTISEMENT

If you had them, would you hang banners for Helm's Champions.

I guess you didn't watch college football before 2014?
No sir. The BCS started in 1998. In other words the polls have not determined the championship since 1997. Sorry that you want to deflect like that. In 2014 they went to 4.

Since 1998:
YearEra#1 CollegeRunnerScore
2020​
CFPAlabamaOhio State52-24
2019​
CFPLSU TigersClemson42-25
2018​
CFPClemsonAlabama44-16
2017​
CFPAlabamaGeorgia26-23
2016​
CFPClemsonAlabama35-31
2015​
CFPAlabamaClemson45-40
2014​
CFPOhio StateOregon42-20
2013​
BCSFlorida StateAuburn34-31
2012​
BCSAlabamaNotre Dame42-14
2011​
BCSAlabamaLSU21-0
2010​
BCSAuburnOregon22-19
2009​
BCSAlabamaTexas37-21
2008​
BCSFloridaOklahoma24-14
2007​
BCSLSUOhio State38-24
2006​
BCSFloridaOhio State41-14
2005​
BCSTexasUSC41-38
2004​
BCSUSCOklahoma55-19
2003​
BCSLSUOklahoma21-14
2002​
BCSOhio StateMiami (FL)31-24
2001​
BCSMiami (Fla.)Nebraska37-14
2000​
BCSOklahomaFlorida State13-2
1999​
BCSFlorida StateVirginia Tech46-29
1998​
BCSTennesseeFlorida State23-16

People just choose time periods that are convenient for them to make their favorite programs look better. I'd like to think the modern era of college basketball started in 1985-1986 when the tournament expanded to 64 teams and the 3 point line was invented but other blue blood fans would be down my throat since they won some national titles during World War II.
A Duke fan wants to use the "modern era" argument? I'm shocked.

The only people who don't celebrate history or historical accomplishments are those who don't have any.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
A Duke fan wants to use the "modern era" argument? I'm shocked.

The only people who don't celebrate history or historical accomplishments are those who don't have any.
That's my point, it favors my school so of course I do.

But why do Kentucky fans get their panties in a wad about KU celebrating pre NCAA national championships? Basketball wasn't invented in 1939 when the NCAA started its 1st ever NCAA tournament.

I have no issue with Helms Championships anymore than those schools that won NCAA titles during World War II.

But why do Kentucky fans get their panties in a wad about KU celebrating pre NCAA national championships? Basketball wasn't invented in 1939 when the NCAA started its 1st ever NCAA tournament.

I have no issue with Helms Championships anymore than those schools that won NCAA titles during World War II.
Because it's like buying fake crap in Tijuana and coming back trying to show it off as genuine.

Why do non UK fans get their panties in a was about UK fans not like Helms banners?

Because we Kentucky fans do not celebrate ours. Can you understand? KU and UNC are not the only schools with a Helms title.

Why do non UK fans get their panties in a was about UK fans not like Helms banners?
Don't you think it'd be a slightly annoying thing to bring up constantly? It's an effing banner. Who cares?

I wouldn't hang them, but I think it's just their way of acknowledging that basketball existed before 1939, and they had some great teams during that period.

I have questions, and thoughts.

What qualifies "Helms" to declare a National Champion in anything?

An "NCAA" title is not the same as a "HELMS" title. College basketball is governed by the NCAA, not a bread company.

Why couldn't Coca Cola retroactively award championships, even if they're in direct conflict w the Helms titles?

A Helms banner makes no sense to me. Does Kentucky have any?

Don't you think it'd be a slightly annoying thing to bring up constantly? It's an effing banner. Who cares?

I wouldn't hang them, but I think it's just their way of acknowledging that basketball existed before 1939, and they had some great teams during that period.
I’m a Kentucky fan that doesn’t give a crap if people hang them or not. I think we have one but honestly I couldn’t tell you if we do or not.

I don’t remember if Syracuse has their Helm’s Championships hanging.

I’m indifferent. There was no championship game or tournament back then, so it’s either some dude’s assessment of the best team or nothing. Something is better than nothing. He wasn’t picking random teams, if he was wrong it was within a group of maybe 3 or 4 teams that had good records against decent competition.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
My brother owns a lawn care company. He just retroactively decided that UK will be the National Champion in all the years that Helms banners were awarded. Sorry UNC, KU fans. Take em down

• Haha
Amazing that UK thought the Helms titles were important enough to list them in their media guide under the National Champions section.

• Haha
Reactions: ExitFlagger
Follow-up thread:

“If you had a Helms title, would you devote a section to it in your media guide?”

Reactions: uncfan in ky
ADVERTISEMENT