ADVERTISEMENT

If you had them, would you hang banners for Helm's Champions.

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Remember they were awarded post season by a baker.

"The name was a misnomer, as there actually was no foundation in place to sustain the operation. Instead the organization was subsidized completely by the operations of Helms Bakery, opened by Helms in Los Angeles.[1] Schroeder selected the foundation's national champion teams and made All-America team selections in a number of college sports, including football and basketball.

The champions from 1900–01 through 1918–19 were selected retroactively in 1957.[1] Those from 1919–20 through 1941–42 were selected retroactively in 1943.[1]

The National Invitation Tournament began play in 1938 and the NCAA Tournament in 1939; until at the least the mid-1950s, the NIT was widely considered the more prestigious of the two.[11] When Schroeder made his first set of retroactive championship picks in February 1943, he chose the NIT winner as the national champion for 1938 and 1939; for 1940, he chose USC (which won neither tournament that year); and for 1941 and 1942 he chose the NCAA Tournament winners as the national champion. After he began making annual picks in 1943, he selected the NCAA Tournament winner in every year except 1944 (when he picked undefeated Army, which won neither tournament) and 1954 (when he picked undefeated Kentucky, which won neither tournament). Thus, through the final Helms selection in 1982, NCAA Tournament winners Oregon (1939), Indiana (1940), Utah (1944), and La Salle (1954) were the only NCAA champions that were not also Helms champions. Some schools claim a Helms selection as a national championship.[a]"

UNC has one and it’s hanging. Not sure when they put it up there, but that was well before my time. I certainly don’t count it as a legitimate title and I wish it wasn’t up there, but nobody at the university asked my opinion. At this point I don’t see any harm in it, but I think it looks silly next to the 6 real banners.

UNC has one and it’s hanging. Not sure when they put it up there, but that was well before my time. I certainly don’t count it as a legitimate title and I wish it wasn’t up there, but nobody at the university asked my opinion. At this point I don’t see any harm in it but I think it looks silly next to the 6 real banners.
Honestly, I get it. It's an achievement of sorts. Easy target for rivals to poke fun.

I don't have any gripe other than, I would kind of hate it being up even with our Final Fours. The retroactively assigned, I think gets me the most.

Other teams like UT hangs banners for Sweet 16, it's all up to them.

I don't have a problem with it. It is a little misleading though.

*I sound silly reading about my complaints.

Probably with 'Helm's Title' on them. I wouldn't hang them as National Championships like others.

Back in Bert’s younger years the NIT was considered to be the best tournament. Now you don’t hear about those championships.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The best of the best existed before the ncaa. Those teams have every right to claim being the best as current times. Either propose a fair system to judge it or stfu.

• Haha
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
UNC has one and it’s hanging. Not sure when they put it up there, but that was well before my time. I certainly don’t count it as a legitimate title and I wish it wasn’t up there, but nobody at the university asked my opinion. At this point I don’t see any harm in it, but I think it looks silly next to the 6 real banners.
UNC has undefeated Helm's.

Are KU's Helm's undefeated?

Would it be weird to put a Helm's banner next to a Championship banner if won the same year?

No. I personally discount a lot of the old sports records.

Next question: are all tourney titles equal?

Is winning an 8-team tourney that included one representative from each district, rather than the best of the best, equal to winning today?

If many of the top-rated teams in the country weren’t in the field, should it be weighted lower? Asterisk?

Reactions: boilerzz
Well, that was the metric used back then. Basketball has tourneys

Let’s be frank…a school with zero legit championships trying to claim 5 is way more embarrassing than KU hanging banners for Helms. 🤣

you should go root for a school with a coach and one that hangs banners that meet your approval and standards.

I myself love the Helms Banner. It triggers the UK fanbois something fierce which then reminds them of Carolina’s record against UK.

• Haha
Reactions: ExitFlagger
you should go root for a school with a coach and one that hangs banners that meet your approval and standards.

I myself love the Helms Banner. It triggers the UK fanbois something fierce which then reminds them of Carolina’s record against UK.

It doesn’t bother me. I just don’t put it at the same level as the NCAA tournament ones so I wouldn’t put it on the same level. But it is what it is.

As for a coach, that isn’t my standard. If Hubert doesn’t hang banners he’ll end up getting fired. Won’t be my call, but it will happen. So hopefully he does.

Oh yeah, and EAD.

NEVER.

Championships are won not awarded.
giphy.gif

So no championships should be celebrated in ncaa football prior to the BCS era?

The best of the best existed before the ncaa. Those teams have every right to claim being the best as current times. Either propose a fair system to judge it or stfu.
People just choose time periods that are convenient for them to make their favorite programs look better. I'd like to think the modern era of college basketball started in 1985-1986 when the tournament expanded to 64 teams and the 3 point line was invented but other blue blood fans would be down my throat since they won some national titles during World War II.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
People just choose time periods that are convenient for them to make their favorite programs look better. I'd like to think the modern era of college basketball started in 1985-1986 when the tournament expanded to 64 teams and the 3 point line was invented but other blue blood fans would be down my throat since they won some national titles during World War II.
Do we count the titles or not? New money wants to say old money don't count.

Some money has been good old and new. Don't f'n matter the date on it, it's money. They didn't start printing it when some gave a shit.

It's a crutch and fans tell on themselves using it, or any other stat they come up with retroactively.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT