ADVERTISEMENT

If Anyone but Trump Were Elected POTUS

Is it bad this is how most protesting comes off to me---color be damned.
What is happening in this country today that is so bad that we devote so much of our short lives being so angry that we feel the need to disrupt other people's lives over their political views? I feel like a big enough loser for expressing my views on a college basketball message board. I could never imagine taking it to the streets, letting it determine how I treat my fellow man or keeping me from sleeping at night.

What is happening in this country today that is so bad that we devote so much of our short lives being so angry that we feel the need to disrupt other people's lives over their basketball views? I feel like a big enough loser for expressing my views on a college basketball message board. I could never imagine taking it to the streets, letting it determine how I treat my fellow man or keeping me from sleeping at night.

It's fun playing madlibs.

Thoughts?
I'd like to see coverage that wasn't from conservatives who have a vested interest in misrepresenting the protesters. The chants they've highlighted are idiotic, but just like, "pigs in a blanket, fry them like bacon," it may not be representative of the entire crowd.

I'd like to see coverage that wasn't from conservatives who have a vested interest in misrepresenting the protesters. The chants they've highlighted are idiotic, but just like, "pigs in a blanket, fry them like bacon," it may not be representative of the entire crowd.
Right. But I was talking about this particular event. Can you not envision a scenario where a white male and a black female who were both liberals being attacked by angry white conservatives, being viewed as a hate crime by the left?

Can you not envision a scenario where a white male and a black female who were both liberals being attacked by angry white conservatives, being viewed as a hate crime by the left?
Can I not... huh? I'm struggling to envision what your sentence is saying. White man and black woman, both liberals, attacked by white conservatives yelling racist slurs? Yeah, sure, it would get called a hate crime by the only side that recognizes the term. And as a snapshot, it should be viewed as the same plus some sad irony when all the political stuff is reversed.

But that really isn't the point, as far as I'm concerned. They framed it to show exactly what they wanted in order to manipulate viewers who are predisposed to agree with them. Y'all are already leaning so hard to that side that all they have to do is poke you and you're all in. I'm sure there are examples in the other direction, as well; people are better at pointing out the manipulations like this that they're not as susceptible to, which means the opposing side.

Can I not... huh? I'm struggling to envision what your sentence is saying. White man and black woman, both liberals, attacked by white conservatives yelling racist slurs? Yeah, sure, it would get called a hate crime by the only side that recognizes the term. And as a snapshot, it should be viewed as the same plus some sad irony when all the political stuff is reversed.

But that really isn't the point, as far as I'm concerned. They framed it to show exactly what they wanted in order to manipulate viewers who are predisposed to agree with them. Y'all are already leaning so hard to that side that all they have to do is poke you and you're all in. I'm sure there are examples in the other direction, as well; people are better at pointing out the manipulations like this that they're not as susceptible to, which means the opposing side.
They were eating breakfast and were attacked by angry liberals. How did they frame anything? Those people were just following Maxine's wishes.

The content was addressed and it’s great. Particularly in an argument with trump considering his trump university.

But if one guy attacks the other and then is shocked when he gets attacked back??? Nah....not a big deal. The potus should stay the **** off of Twitter and not engage back against silly barbs—-and I think lebron was counting on that. I don’t care for lbj bc he, like trump, has some weird need for people to think of him as philosophical and intelligent....neither look or sound educated in the manner any high school graduate should have mastered. I’ve grilled trump about it, why wouldn’t I make fun of some dude talking about others being uneducated while sounding like a total reject. Fair game isn’t it.

Also...I’d like to see who else has contributed to this project. How was James paying for this and keeping it going. Anybody else donating?
Well, it looks like we found the answer on who else is donating......https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-taxpayers-cover-most-operating-204701496.html

They were eating breakfast and were attacked by angry liberals. How did they frame anything? Those people were just following Maxine's wishes.
Just eating breakfast? Did they have signs? MAGA hats? Was it a huge parade or just some random passersby? Were they identified/identifiable in some way? There was recording going on, at least. Why did they start recording in the first place?

None of that would excuse it, but it would explain a motive or catalyst of some sort. If it was completely and utterly random, how have their attackers been identified as liberals?

And the bold... come on... If you want to have a serious conversation, don't mix in trolling...

And the bold... come on... If you want to have a serious conversation, don't mix in trolling...

To be fair, liberals have been threatening and harassing Republican officials since the inception of the Trump administration. All of the examples linked below have occurred within the past 15 months:

30 GOP Congressmen Have Been Attacked or Threatened Since May
14 Times Republican Officials Were Viciously Harassed, Threatened With Death

I could be mistaken, but I don't think there are any duplicate incidents among these two articles.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
I'm sure they will cover that in his upcoming Netflix documentary "Shut up and dribble".
I just thought it sounded a little fishy dollars and cents wise and how it would ever be able to operate without an endless supply off money. Any time I see a celebrity or politicians foundation handing out money---it instantly raises concerns about financing.

The exact breakdown of expenses for the new I Promise School is unclear, since the district and the LeBron James Family Foundation are still sorting out final details of their contract. But the district will pay more than half the costs – perhaps around 75 percent – once it is fully running.

The foundation says it’s spending about $2 million for the school’s first year, including startup costs. It has also committed to spending $2 million or more a year when the school has grown to capacity. The exact amount is still to be determined.

Though James will have a huge influence on the school, I Promise will be run by the district.

It’s a district-owned building. The district will hire and pay the teachers and administration. Kids will ride district buses to school. And they will all eat the free breakfast and lunch the district gives all students.

I Promise will eventually cost about $8 million a year to run out of the district’s regular budget, covered mostly by shifting students, teachers and money from other schools, the district say

Between his NBA salary and endorsements, Forbes estimates LeBron's annual salary at $85.5 million. If he is contributing $2 million annually to this school, you're looking at roughly 2.3% of his adjusted gross income. That is the equivalent of a person making $50,000 that contributes $1,150 annually to a school (noble, yes, but not heroic). Further, he can use the contributions as a tax deduction - or to reduce his capital gains tax. It's a great cause because the kids will still need education, and the cost person student can easily exceed $20,000 per year. But it is strange that the media is making him out to be a valiant hero, when he's only paying a minimal amount of his income and the taxpayers are footing the majority of the bill.

Between his NBA salary and endorsements, Forbes estimates LeBron's annual salary at $85.5 million. If he is contributing $2 million annually to this school, you're looking at roughly 2.3% of his adjusted gross income. That is the equivalent of a person making $50,000 that contributes $1,150 annually to a school (noble, yes, but not heroic). Further, he can use the contributions as a tax deduction - or to reduce his capital gains tax. It's a great cause because the kids will still need education, and the cost person student can easily exceed $20,000 per year. But it is strange that the media is making him out to be a valiant hero, when he's only paying a minimal amount of his income and the taxpayers are footing the majority of the bill.
Also, its paid thru the foundation...so what all money does the foundation receive? Do people donate to this foundation....I don't know how it works. Most foundations do some good for the community, almost all do some "great" for the individual tax write offs. Not just this case, but a majority.

Just eating breakfast? Did they have signs? MAGA hats? Was it a huge parade or just some random passersby? Were they identified/identifiable in some way? There was recording going on, at least. Why did they start recording in the first place?

None of that would excuse it, but it would explain a motive or catalyst of some sort. If it was completely and utterly random, how have their attackers been identified as liberals?

Here. https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/06/politics/conservative-antifa-protests-restaurant/index.html

And I am not trolling. It is a fact that this kind of harassment is exactly what Waters called for.

Also, its paid thru the foundation...so what all money does the foundation receive? Do people donate to this foundation....I don't know how it works. Most foundations do some good for the community, almost all do some "great" for the individual tax write offs. Not just this case, but a majority.

Not sure what the current financial status of the Foundation is, but I saw that in 2015 they received $2.6 million in contributions. I gotta imagine that LBJ is contributing a significant portion of those funds; those contributions are all tax deductible.

those contributions are all tax deductible.

Yes, charitable donations are tax deductible for LeBron and for everyone. It's very important that whenever someone discusses charitable donations that we make sure to point out the things that apply to all charitable donations lest we think that charitable donations are as charitable as they seem on the surface.

For example, instead of "LeBron James donates millions," it should be "LeBron James donates millions and will almost certainly claim a tax deduction by filing the appropriate paperwork with the IRS, and the IRS will follow up with any questions or concerns raised by said deductions to resolve whether such deductions were authorized under US tax law." Or "LeBron James is probably a piece of crap and I just thought you should be aware of that fact that is in no way based on my or his political views and did you know he is 3-6 in the NBA Finals?"

Reactions: Dattier
To be fair, liberals have been threatening and harassing Republican officials since the inception of the Trump administration. All of the examples linked below have occurred within the past 15 months:

30 GOP Congressmen Have Been Attacked or Threatened Since May
14 Times Republican Officials Were Viciously Harassed, Threatened With Death

I could be mistaken, but I don't think there are any duplicate incidents among these two articles.
Both the Washington Free Beacon and the Federalist have strong conservative biases. They did not report on threats to Maxine Waters or John Yarmuth, 2 Democrats. They didn't report on the the increase in hate crimes nationwide since our President's inauguration. Nonetheless, those incidents that actually qualify as threats or actual violence are abhorrent.

Yes, charitable donations are tax deductible for LeBron and for everyone. It's very important that whenever someone discusses charitable donations that we make sure to point out the things that apply to all charitable donations lest we think that charitable donations are as charitable as they seem on the surface.

For example, instead of "LeBron James donates millions," it should be "LeBron James donates millions and will almost certainly claim a tax deduction by filing the appropriate paperwork with the IRS, and the IRS will follow up with any questions or concerns raised by said deductions to resolve whether such deductions were authorized under US tax law." Or "LeBron James is probably a piece of crap and I just thought you should be aware of that fact that is in no way based on my or his political views and did you know he is 3-6 in the NBA Finals?"

In my original post about LBJ, I also said that what he was doing was a very good thing. And it is. But, I think a lot of people have issue with someone receiving most/all of the credit when they're absorbing roughly 25% of the costs and taxpayers are taking on 75% of the costs. And since these kids would have their tuition covered by the University of Akron (pending HS graduation), I imagine the cost per pupil is a little higher at the I Promise School as opposed to a typical public school.

I also have a hard time ignoring the 2.3% contribution. Don't get me wrong, the donation is a great, great thing. But it's not exactly a major blow for someone grossing 85 million. I donate somewhere between 12-15% of my adjusted gross income, for example.

Reactions: toonces11
Here. https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/06/politics/conservative-antifa-protests-restaurant/index.html

And I am not trolling. It is a fact that this kind of harassment is exactly what Waters called for.
Well, that's about as bad as it could possibly be short of real physical harm.

Waters specified administration officials, didn't call it harassment, and it was specific to the separation of children from parents at the border. No court would convict her. It's reasonable to say some people took her words and ran (too far) with them, but let's be precise in what she actually said.

Both the Washington Free Beacon and the Federalist have strong conservative biases. They did not report on threats to Maxine Waters or John Yarmuth, 2 Democrats. They didn't report on the the increase in hate crimes nationwide since our President's inauguration. Nonetheless, those incidents that actually qualify as threats or actual violence are abhorrent.

The two articles weren't trying to cover all politicians; that's why it explicitly says Republican or GOP Congressmen in the headline. The point was to emphasize the high rate of harassment that GOP officials receive. Certainly there are idiots on both side of the political spectrum. But it appears that GOP public officials are threatened significantly more than Democrats. Those two articles cited over 20 examples in the last 15 months. Feel free to correct me if there are more Democrats being threatened/harassed.

In my original post about LBJ, I also said that what he was doing was a very good thing. And it is. But, I think a lot of people have issue with someone receiving most/all of the credit when they're absorbing roughly 25% of the costs and taxpayers are taking on 75% of the costs. And since these kids would have their tuition covered by the University of Akron (pending HS graduation), I imagine the cost per pupil is a little higher at the I Promise School as opposed to a typical public school.

I also have a hard time ignoring the 2.3% contribution. Don't get me wrong, the donation is a great, great thing. But it's not exactly a major blow for someone grossing 85 million. I donate somewhere between 12-15% of my adjusted gross income, for example.

Just seems weirdly nit-picky (for example, you didn't point out that your donations are tax deductible). Most of the praise I've seen is that LBJ is providing a good example for others to follow (Jerian Grant's tweet was near the top of r/NBA for a while, for example); I've yet to see any praise about the amount spent in particular, or arguments about this contribution in relation to his AGI.

Who gets to go to this school if its funded by tax dollars? Cant be hand picked right?

Just seems weirdly nit-picky (for example, you didn't point out that your donations are tax deductible). Most of the praise I've seen is that LBJ is providing a good example for others to follow (Jerian Grant's tweet was near the top of r/NBA for a while, for example); I've yet to see any praise about the amount spent in particular, or arguments about this contribution in relation to his AGI.

I didn't itemize my deductions because I received more from the standard tax deduction. Therefore, I actually gave away my money freely without any tax consideration.

Well, that's about as bad as it could possibly be short of real physical harm.

Waters specified administration officials, didn't call it harassment, and it was specific to the separation of children from parents at the border. No court would convict her. It's reasonable to say some people took her words and ran (too far) with them, but let's be precise in what she actually said.
Okay. We are close enough to being on the same page. To specify though, I would never have the opinion that Waters would deserve any kind of charges drawn against her. And you are right, she did specify administration officials. Maybe it is out of context to make this about her comments.

The two articles weren't trying to cover all politicians; that's why it explicitly says Republican or GOP Congressmen in the headline. The point was to emphasize the high rate of harassment that GOP officials receive. Certainly there are idiots on both side of the political spectrum. But it appears that GOP public officials are threatened significantly more than Democrats. Those two articles cited over 20 examples in the last 15 months. Feel free to correct me if there are more Democrats being threatened/harassed.
Not all examples are created equal. Including one where a woman holding a baby expresses her displeasure to an elected official inflates the numbers.

I'm sure there are more than 2 Democrats who have been threatened, but it stands to reason the party in complete control of all 3 branches including the most unusual, most divisive President possibly ever would be targeted more.

Pretty much every credible accounting I've seen has noted a pretty steep increase in hate crimes since our President's inauguration. Our President's detractors would certainly make the easy case that his policies are hostile toward many, so their own hostility directed at members of his cabinet/party is self-defense. It's no different from the way conservatives predict bloodshed if anyone ever tries to take away their guns through legislation.

Who gets to go to this school if its funded by tax dollars? Cant be hand picked right?

I don't know (or care, really)? Depends on how Ohio/local school board has written and interpreted the law? My only point is that it's weird to see so much push back on something like a charitable donation.

Not all examples are created equal. Including one where a woman holding a baby expresses her displeasure to an elected official inflates the numbers.

I'm sure there are more than 2 Democrats who have been threatened, but it stands to reason the party in complete control of all 3 branches including the most unusual, most divisive President possibly ever would be targeted more.

Pretty much every credible accounting I've seen has noted a pretty steep increase in hate crimes since our President's inauguration. Our President's detractors would certainly make the easy case that his policies are hostile toward many, so their own hostility directed at members of his cabinet/party is self-defense. It's no different from the way conservatives predict bloodshed if anyone ever tries to take away their guns through legislation.

You're right, not all harassment/threats are equal. For example, Steve Scalise was shot in the hip - and Rand Paul was assaulted by his neighbor, while mowing the lawn, where he suffered 5 broken ribs.

But okay, I'll bite. What specific policies are hostile towards Americans?

You're right, not all harassment/threats are equal. For example, Steve Scalise was shot in the hip - and Rand Paul was assaulted by his neighbor, while mowing the lawn, where he suffered 5 broken ribs.

But okay, I'll bite. What specific policies are hostile towards Americans?

Rand Paul's neighbor broke his ribs? How'd I miss that one...

Some say it was partially politically motivated, however, Rand Paul was cleaning up brush/tree limbs around his home and piled it up near the boarder of a neighbor(60 yo doctor). That neighbor got rid of it somehow, so guess what Paul did? Cleared more out and piled it up in that spot. etc..... eventually the neighbor tackled him while he was mowing or something out in the yard because Paul was making his view ugly with the brush pile.

They were known to have heated political debates, but it isn't for sure that fueled the attack.

Rand Paul's neighbor broke his ribs? How'd I miss that one...

It's an odd story. This incident occurred just 9 months ago. On the surface, it looks like Paul's neighbor was angered over the brush piles that Paul kept placing next to the property line - and the neighbor removed the piles several times. The guy is a registered Democrat, so it's possible politics played a role. Hard to say, for certain. Rand Paul also said that he and his neighbor had never spoken prior to the assault. If true, it seems weird to attack someone if you've never expressed any sort of annoyance.

Edit: Looks like he actually broke 6 ribs from the attack.

I don't think I'll bite.... hard.

Ending DACA
Tariffs
Everything Betsy De Vos does

Tariffs, sure. I agree. That part seems counterproductive.

DACA? Not really. I mean, didn't Trump offer a pathway to citizenship for 1.8 million illegal immigrants? The Obama administration was only protecting 800,000. I guess that's all moot since the Democrats rejected the proposal.

I'm not keeping close tabs on what DeVos is saying or doing. She probably isn't the most qualified. But, I'm skeptical to say that she is directly impacting education in a negative way. The majority of school funding is coming from local and state governments anyway. The federal share is less than 10%. And federal funding is still there; it's still going to be helping out the schools and the students.

I'm assuming that means you think I should put on a tinfoil hat or something. Idk.

The bottom line is, drugs impact people of all income levels and race. But the War on Drugs is systemically bias against blacks, hispanics, and poor people. It goes all the way back to the decision to make weed illegal and tobacco legal and regulated, even though both are just plants.

I've worked in a state attorneys office. I've seen kids get turned into hardened criminals because they were arrested with a few ounces of weed on them.

People can act like you're a conspiracy nut for saying this , but unfortunately it's based in so many facts.

In 100 years, when some teacher is talking about this time period, I strongly believe that the WoD will be looked at as our biggest mistake. I completely understand why people at first thought the best way to stop drug use was to police it harsher. However, once it became blatantly obvious that the only positive this line of thinking created was if made some individuals who owned prisons a ridiculous amount of money!

Tariffs, sure. I agree. That part seems counterproductive.

DACA? Not really. I mean, didn't Trump offer a pathway to citizenship for 1.8 million illegal immigrants? The Obama administration was only protecting 800,000. I guess that's all moot since the Democrats rejected the proposal.

I'm not keeping close tabs on what DeVos is saying or doing. She probably isn't the most qualified. But, I'm skeptical to say that she is directly impacting education in a negative way. The majority of school funding is coming from local and state governments anyway. The federal share is less than 10%. And federal funding is still there; it's still going to be helping out the schools and the students.
This is why I didn't put much effort into my list. You're basically asking rhetorically.

ADVERTISEMENT