ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Helene

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Who all is impacted by Hurricane Helene? I live in the western part of NC, close to the Tennessee border. My area is expected to get 12+ inches of rain tonight. Hoping I don't have to deal with flooding, but it is possible.

@GE Nole how you doing, bud? Stay safe! Let us know how you're doing.

75388632007-accu-hurricane-helene-path-sept-26-2024.jpg

The only way it's impacting me is by delaying the Braves/Mets series while both are in the middle of the playoff hunt. Braves are one game back and probably need to win the last two against the Mets to get in. Unfortunately they have to wait until Monday for a double header. Sucks the games got delayed because Atlanta had been playing well and had momentum.

In all seriousness I do hope those in the path remain safe and the damage isn't too severe.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Terrible timing for me. I'm playing in our club's annual Ryder Cup tomorrow and after a drought all summer, we are supposed to get almost an inch of rain in Cincinnati. Damnit. I hate playing golf in the rain.

DWS

@dukedevilz I really hope you and your family come out safe. It looks to be really bad.

Thank you! I appreciate it. Seen a bit of rain, a few inches. Fortunately, not as bad as some were expecting. A few folks may have to evacuate, but most people here should be fine.

I have a brother that lives in Tampa. He evacuated and I'll see him sometime this weekend. I'm curious if his house was impacted. He said it's only 14 feet above sea level, so he definitely has some risk.

I feel like I say "my brother" a lot in threads. FTR, I have 4 brothers, so it's not the same one every time lol.

Terrible timing for me. I'm playing in our club's annual Ryder Cup tomorrow and after a drought all summer, we are supposed to get almost an inch of rain in Cincinnati. Damnit. I hate playing golf in the rain.

DWS

You're still playing in rain? Sounds terrible.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I live in Palmetto, FL. My house was fine as I live far enough inland to avoid storm surge. My brother's house in St. Pete Beach, however, was trashed. Flood waters about 4 feet high into the main level. He never lost power either. Vehicle floated about 20 feet from where it was parked, will be totaled. Random boats in front yards, a dumpster in the middle of his street, etc.

I really don't see how people can live in FL with the threats of hurricanes every year but I lived in Cali for 25+ years and people said the same thing when it came to earthquakes.

I really don't see how people can live in FL with the threats of hurricanes every year but I lived in Cali for 25+ years and people said the same thing when it came to earthquakes.
It seems like they get it every year because there have been a few abnormally strong ones since 2017. But they have long stretches where they don't see anything. Just like here in SE NC. We can go 7-8 years without seeing anything and then we go 3 years in a row with some kind of tropical weather event. And it feels like we're always getting them. It's just like saying you wouldn't want to live in tornado alley. The majority of people who live in tornado zones have never seen a tornado. But it doesn't feel like it because the ones that are bad are plastered all over the news. We take the good with the bad.

There are some pretty incredible scenes from the storm surge from this one. Entire house under water. Topsail Island, which is north of us, has zones where insurance companies won't provide insurance. I imagine if you are in an area proned to storm surge in Florida, it will be that way sooner or later.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
There are some pretty incredible scenes from the storm surge from this one. Entire house under water. Topsail Island, which is north of us, has zones where insurance companies won't provide insurance. I imagine if you are in an area proned to storm surge in Florida, it will be that way sooner or later.
I used to go to Topsail all the time as a kid, had family there.

Fortunately, my area was only minimally impacted by the hurricane. Maybe 6 inches.

Asheville, which is my hometown, and just an hour east, wasn't so lucky. Part of 1-40 was taken out. The Swannanoa area got 16 inches. All cell phone service is out throughout the western part of North Carolina. Haven't been able to get hold of my parents yet. Hope they're okay.

GYhJiR6WQAAsi-G

GYgzphSW8AAoJyL

Fixing 1-40 is going to be a nightmare. Goodness.

GYgvLahXYAAH8DS

Fortunately, my area was only minimally impacted by the hurricane. Maybe 6 inches.

Asheville, which is my hometown, and just an hour east, wasn't so lucky. Part of 1-40 was taken out. The Swannanoa area got 16 inches. All cell phone service is out throughout the western part of North Carolina. Haven't been able to get hold of my parents yet. Hope they're okay.

GYhJiR6WQAAsi-G

GYgzphSW8AAoJyL

Fixing 1-40 is going to be a nightmare. Goodness.

GYgvLahXYAAH8DS
Damn, that is horrible.

That sucks because I'm going to Gatlinburg in about 2 weeks and I always take I-40 all the way into TN then dip south. :mad:

It's roughly 3 miles past the North Carolina side of I-40 East that was swallowed up by the water. However, I read starting from Cookeville, TN, that I-4O is closed. So, Cookeville, TN, and onward - all through the first 90 miles or so of NC is closed. Huge stretch.

The North Carolina side is going to take months to repair, I would imagine. The Tennessee side could possibly be remedied within the next two weeks. Though, maybe I didn't hear the full damage of what occurred in Tennessee.

It's roughly 3 miles past the North Carolina side of I-40 East that was swallowed up by the water. However, I read starting from Cookeville, TN, that I-4O is closed. So, Cookeville, TN, and onward - all through the first 90 miles or so of NC is closed. Huge stretch.

The North Carolina side is going to take months to repair, I would imagine. The Tennessee side could possibly be remedied within the next two weeks. Though, maybe I didn't hear the full damage of what occurred in Tennessee.
First, have you been able to contact your parents? Then, I really hate to be that guy. Because what is happening there is far more important to address than some asshole's vacation. But how bad is it in the Sapphire/Cashiers area? We are supposed to have a long weekend starting October 17th.

First, have you been able to contact your parents? Then, I really hate to be that guy. Because what is happening there is far more important to address than some asshole's vacation. But how bad is it in the Sapphire/Cashiers area? We are supposed to have a long weekend starting October 17th.

Haven't been able to get a hold of my parents. No cell service throughout the region. I-40 is closed. Haven't been able to get a hold of my niece either, who also lives in Asheville.

My wife and I have reached out to some 20+ people in the region and I'd say we haven't heard back from more than 50% of them. One of them lives in Brevard, which is maybe 15 minutes from Sapphire. So, I'd guess they're having similar struggles to those in the Asheville community. There are some 250 waterfalls in Transylvania county (where Sapphire and Brevard are both located), so the opportunity for flooding is immense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT