ADVERTISEMENT

How will Conference Tournaments affect seeding in the big tourney?

mikeinknoxville

Jan 28, 2009
Team
Tennessee
Except for those teams needing to win their conference tournament to get a spot I think they do very little in shaping the Big Dance.

Whats your opinion?

Given that the Big Ten has its "top 3" teams (Wisconsin, Illinois and Purdue) RELATIVELY close in projected brackets and other teams like Iowa making a late season run, I actually think the Big Ten Tournament could affect quite a lot. Quad 1 opportunities galore.

Reactions: mikeinknoxville
Kentucky/Auburn and Baylor/Kansas will all be battling for a 1 seed. Arizona and Duke probably can't slip up if they want a 1 seed. Duke is still probably a 2 seed at this point.

If Wisconsin runs the table, I honestly don't see any reason why they wouldn't be a 1 seed.

Houston hasn't been that impressive lately. But, the metrics are good. With a small sample size of quality games, feel like they have a pretty big range of where they could fall.

It's also really important for those schools that haven't fully secured an at-large. Someone like Indiana could go from an 11 seed to a 7-8 seed if they win 2 more Quad 1 games. Might also be true for North Carolina.

I feel like winning two Quad 1 games in a conference tournament should move you up at least 1 seed line. Not sure what the actual numbers look like, however.

Reactions: mikeinknoxville
ADVERTISEMENT