ADVERTISEMENT

How many teams have a legit shot to win the title

Out of the teams you listed, I only see a few that are stand out. It’s hard for me to pick a team (even if they have five star freshman) go all the way, if I haven’t seen them play yet. Gonzaga seems to be ahead in that regard.

It's going to be weird seeing UK with so much experience. I can't remember the last time our roster was made up of mostly Juniors and Seniors/GT.

We have 3 Freshman and 2 sophomores, but Dontaie Allen is a redshirt soph.

IIRC this is our 2nd oldest team or something like that. It's the oldest since the early 50's.

It's going to be weird seeing UK with so much experience. I can't remember the last time our roster was made up of mostly Juniors and Seniors/GT.

We have 3 Freshman and 2 sophomores, but Dontaie Allen is a redshirt soph.

IIRC this is our 2nd oldest team or something like that. It's the oldest since the early 50's.
You guys got a solid core coming back. Mintz, Oscar, and Brooks are gonna be a huge upside for you guys imo. Mintz esp. he showed flashes last year.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
You guys got a solid core coming back. Mintz, Oscar, and Brooks are gonna be a huge upside for you guys imo. Mintz esp. he showed flashes last year.
I'm high on Toppin. He'll never be his brother, but dude hustles and showed a lot of promise last year as well as being the vocal leader this year so far.

We have experience, we have talent, we have HOF coaching. Can we put it together in a stacked season?

We're by far the only teams who has those traits. *

Last edited:
I'm high on Toppin. He'll never be his brother, but dude hustles and showed a lot of promise last year as well as being the vocal leader this year so far.

We have experience, we have talent, we have HOF coaching. Can we put it together in a stacked season?

Forgot all about Toppin. For sure he’s a gamer. Plus he got that slick Jerry curl.

I thought toppin was yalls best player last year sans jackson. Jmo. Mintz is no scrub either. Dont see where all the mins will come from but i cant figure that out with Louisville either, guess its a coach problem at this point.

Joey Baker is the only player on the roster to have played a minute in the NCAAT, if I remember correctly. I think a wait and see approach is just for Duke here.
I’m having trouble understanding all the love for Duke this year. Unless it’s assuming K gets even more calls than usual on his swan song

Duke has 2 T10 Fr and returns 3 starters, albeit from a bad team. They added a couple from the transfer portal for depth. Banchero could be a top 5 pick right? Griffin probably a 1st rd pick also?

You have a 7 footer that got a lot better at the end of the year coming back this year, another 1st rd pick?

Of course draft picks don't = winning but the talent might be there, but it is looking like a deep year for college basketball. Most important thing for them could be Roach shooting better and just being a better player overall.

And yeah if they play their way into position there's gonna be a big spotlight on K, and it's possible a vibe to get him out on top could be a thing.

Last edited:
I think there is 9 legit title contenders

Zags
Kansas
Purdue
UCLA
Michigan
Kentucky
Illinois
Villanova
Oregon

These teams have nba talent, experience, bigs, guards, PG play, experience.
Think you have to throw Duke in there. Not sure I would have Oregon on my list. Illinois should be really good, I guess they would be the other team I would question on here.

I think 8 - 10 is the right number. Maybe a little higher than most years.

Duke has 2 T10 Fr and returns 3 starters, albeit from a bad team. They added a couple from the transfer portal for depth. Banchero could be a top 5 pick right? Griffin probably a 1st rd pick also?

You have a 7 footer that got a lot better at the end of the year coming back this year, another 1st rd pick?

Of course draft picks don't = winning but the talent might be there, but it is looking like a deep year for college basketball. Most important thing for them could be Roach shooting better and just being a better player overall.

And yeah if they play their way into position there's gonna be a big spotlight on K, and it's possible a vibe to get him out on top could be a thing.
Mark Williams . I have a sneaking suspicion he's going to be the dagger in our game. He was crazy good in the ACC Tournament.

Reactions: Villian07
Joey Baker is the only player on the roster to have played a minute in the NCAAT, if I remember correctly. I think a wait and see approach is just for Duke here.
I don't think playing a few games in the tourney would really change the outlook for Baker or Moore here. Wendell and Joey have plenty of ACC ands non conference game experience at this point so they either take that next step where where Moore becomes that swiss army knife contributor like Theo Pinson/Justise Winslow and Baker becomes an Andre Dawkins/Matt Jones type or they don't which hurts our upside.

I’m having trouble understanding all the love for Duke this year. Unless it’s assuming K gets even more calls than usual on his swan song
They flashed at the end of last year, return some solid contributors and add a great recruiting class featuring perhaps the best freshman in college.

Duke has 2 lottery picks, a sophomore 5 star PG, a junior versatile SF and a top 10 big man.

On paper they're a top 10 team but we"ll get a good litmus test for them early when they face UK, Gonzaga and Ohio State.

Wait what? I agree you have those traits but so do Gonzaga and Duke.

The Zags have Timme and Nembhard coming back plus they have 2 projected 1st Rounders with the potential #1 in Chet.

Duke has Moore and Williams returning plus 3-4 projected 1st Rounders in Banchero, Griffin, Keels and Williams.

Wait what? I agree you have those traits but so do Gonzaga and Duke.

The Zags have Timme and Nembhard coming back plus they have 2 projected 1st Rounders with the potential #1 in Chet.

Duke has Moore and Williams returning plus 3-4 projected 1st Rounders in Banchero, Griffin, Keels and Williams.
It was a typo. I meant, not the only ones. I should have corrected it.

ADVERTISEMENT