ADVERTISEMENT

How long of a leash does Patrick Ewing have?

TheHuskerFreak

Dec 18, 2020
He is now 4 years in with a pretty bad overall record. I know he is a Georgetown legend, but he clearly isn't the guy to get them back to being one of the elite teams in the sport or even close to that.

As I understand it, he took some chances early on with some questionable character guys that backfired on him. I think he gets at least 2-3 more seasons.

Watched about 7 minutes of them playing Villanova this year
Cannot say either way.

Big East may not be the beast it once was but is still a highly competitive conference
GTown so far haven't been able to get their footing under Ewing.

Thing was they had talent. A lot of that talent was pushed out of the program. Like I said I haven't watched enough of them this season to determine if the issue is talent.

No talent will mean that regardless of the coach they won't win.
The question becomes could a new coach attract talent better than Ewing

Possible that sticking with Ewing is their best option

Would you want to tell Patrick Ewing that he’s fired?

Nope.

Georgetown_Butler_Basketball_43783.jpg-0aa29.jpg

Yeah the biggest win of Ewing's coaching career happened today. I imagine he'll get at least next year to see what he can do. It is time though. 5 years is plenty of time to produce a winner at a traditional basketball power.

If you are looking at this strictly as a business then all these guys probably warrant 3-4 years unless they inherit bizarre circumstances or just flush it down the toilet in a bonkers kind of way and make it clear they aren't fit for the job. So once the time is up if the results aren't there then adios.

If you are looking at this strictly as a business then all these guys probably warrant 3-4 years unless they inherit bizarre circumstances or just flush it down the toilet in a bonkers kind of way and make it clear they aren't fit for the job. So once the time is up if the results aren't there then adios.

Disagree here.
Every job is different plus you have to consider the replacement.

John Thompson took 8 years to accomplish anything of note at GTown.

Disagree here.
Every job is different

I said there are bizarre circumstances which would qualify as being different circumstances.

Here is a link that might help you navigate in these threads.

I said there are bizarre circumstances which would qualify as being different circumstances.

Here is a link that might help you navigate in these threads.

Bizarre. Not all jobs are bizarre.
Bizarre would be inheriting a program being punished by the NCAA.

That isn't the case the case with GTown.

Every school is different.

There isn't a set blueprint how to value a coach for every school.

Ewing is bringing in his first 5-star recruit next season. Given the recruiting class coming in, and his legacy, it's hard to imagine him not having at least another 2 years. He kind of had to hit the reset button with all of the departures last season. I think Georgetown would have been a tournament team last year had the team stayed intact.

Reactions: englandnu
If the plan was to move on from him, then this tournament shouldn’t change that. Let’s keep it in perspective, they took out two non tournament teams and a good team that is down its best player by 1 point. Win or lose tonight, GTown had an undeniably crap season, a decent 3-4 day stretch doesn’t erase that.

It reminds me of that time UGA randomly won the SEC tournament with a lame duck coach and decided to retain him.

It's year 4. Had the bizarre situation where he had to boot a couple guys. They are making noise tough draw today.

The question should always be, who is the replacement if you don't wanna stay with what you got?

I'd think he deserves another year.

Reactions: duckboy33
It's year 4. Had the bizarre situation where he had to boot a couple guys. They are making noise tough draw today.

The question should always be, who is the replacement if you don't wanna stay with what you got?

I'd think he deserves another year.

Im not that in tune to what is going on there, simply pointing out that if the admin there has does in fact have an exit strategy, then stick to it. Remember there is a reason you are in this place where a miracle conference tournament run is your only path to the tournament. If they plan to keep him then of course try and ride this wave of good PR to better recruits.

Im not that in tune to what is going on there, simply pointing out that if the admin there has does in fact have an exit strategy, then stick to it. Remember there is a reason you are in this place where a miracle conference tournament run is your only path to the tournament. If they plan to keep him then of course try and ride this wave of good PR to better recruits.

I believe years ago Georgia won the SEC Tourney for Dennis Felton as dead man walking.
I think they fired him anyway but not sure.

He has a 5 star guard coming in next year plus a 4 star big man who happens to be Mutumbo’s son. He should get at least one more year to turn this thing around.

As a Villanova guy one part of me wants to see Gtown fail but the other part wants this little engine that could to keep this underdog story going.

He has his best class yet coming in next year. His teams play extremely hard for him, they've just been at a talent/depth deficit. He'll get at least another year.

It reminds me of that time UGA randomly won the SEC tournament with a lame duck coach and decided to retain him.
[/QUOTE]
Yea it was Dennis Felton. He was actually quite successful at wku but he had some nice players in sparks before he transfered and Chris Marcus a 7 footer who Probly would have been a first round pick after his jr season but decide to come back to school and got hurt and derailed his career.

they weren’t a natty contender but I feel like they one of the best mid majors outside of Gonzaga.

ADVERTISEMENT