ADVERTISEMENT

Henry Ruggs - 156 MPH

I just don’t know how he wiggles out of this. It’s as bad a case as it can be. The only thing in his favor is his previously clean record. They might offer a plea deal just to avoid the court costs and delays but it wouldn’t have to be a lot less than the max to get him to take it.
He's got a clean record and being super young and stupid on his side. I think we all made plenty of bad choices at 22. Who knows, anything could happen I guess. What we do know is it will be at least 2 years because probation isn't an option with the DUI w/ fatality charge. I would be surprised if it's anything over 10 years. You're not gonna see a max sentence for someone with zero priors.

Reactions: toonces11
Some murders are worse than others. Some robberies are worse than others. Some assaults are worse than others. Some speeding tickets are worse than others.

This is pretty well established in our legal system and how courts sentence criminals. I’m not exactly saying something controversial here, Borden.
I agree....But at the end of the day, driving drunk is driving drunk. Comparing murder, i.e. premeditated compared to a loss of control, is apples to oranges. Beating someone ass with a punch or two, in a bar fight, dispute, etc, etc., then walk away, or what not---certainly is different than just assaulting someone with no reason, and beating them to a pulp...

I understand that concept. I understand they are treated differently. But at the end of the day, driving drunk is driving drunk. It impairs your ability to drive. Rather that be at .08..... or .16. Hell my wife can drink a beer or two, and have a buzz....And would probably pass a breathlizer. I can drink , or could drink a damn 12 pack, and feel like a champ. With a few shots to boot. The penalty for driving drunk, killing someone is the same, and will be viewed as the same, regardless of of your BAC.

I’m on your side here (which is not going to help your case lol). When in a turn only lane, there is zero reason for a turn signal to be necessary. The traffic behind you knows you’re turning and the traffic across from you knows you’re turning. Pedestrians in the crosswalks know you’re turning. The traffic along the sides doesn’t matter, but they know you’re turning, too.
Funny----this is exactly what I told the officer. 🤣 🤣

He's got a clean record and being super young and stupid on his side. I think we all made plenty of bad choices at 22. Who knows, anything could happen I guess. What we do know is it will be at least 2 years because probation isn't an option with the DUI w/ fatality charge. I would be surprised if it's anything over 10 years. You're not gonna see a max sentence for someone with zero priors.
I see some definite jail time, with a years of probation, loss of license, etc, etc...And very iffy that he ever see's anothe NFL paycheck. And IF he does, tons will go to the family.

Sad situation all around.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

wish I hadn’t watched but he was sitting there knowing without a doubt that he had burned that woman alive

I see some definite jail time, with a years of probation, loss of license, etc, etc...And very iffy that he ever see's anothe NFL paycheck. And IF he does, tons will go to the family.

Sad situation all around.
Yes, the minimum is 2 years behind bars. There is no way to plea down to probation. That is what he gets at the very least if convicted, and I don't know a lawyer on the planet that will be able to skirt that conviction.

I just don’t know how he wiggles out of this. It’s as bad a case as it can be. The only thing in his favor is his previously clean record. They might offer a plea deal just to avoid the court costs and delays but it wouldn’t have to be a lot less than the max to get him to take it.
Maybe with the clean record, iirc, there's something like shock probation. Not sure if that applies here. The shock of being jailed will hopefully deter someone from doing it again. This dude straight killed a woman (unintentionally).

Driving drunk and killing someone is the same rather you are going 156 or 70. The decision to drive drunk far outweighs the decision to go 156mph. Did alcohol play a role in his speed? Sure. But its no different if someone were going 70 in a 35, and killed someone. Both show disregard for human life.
Ima take the killing someone put of the equation bc thats terrible and irelevant to my point.

But in ky at least, getting a dui going 70(in a 55 not 35, 70 in 35 is still aggravated) is a regular dui, either 30/60/90 day suspension. Getting a dui going X number of miles over the speed limit will get u an aggravated Dui which is losing ur license a year minimum. So in the eyes of the law the speed is very much a factor. Same for breathalyzer, u blow high enough u get an aggravated dui, but not sure the number on that.

I got pulled over for my dui bc i was going 15mph in a 35 zone smh. Too slow not to fast. I agree about the 70 in a 35 vs the 156 tho, both wayyyyy above the limit. But dang goin 156 is stupid if ur sober.

Last edited:
Kid from our town got manslaughter for doing this about 10 years ago. I wanna say he only had to serve 3-4 but obv every case will be different. Dont see any way ruggs dodges time though unf for him.

Ima take the killing someone put of the equation bc thats terrible and irelevant to my point.

But in ky at least, getting a dui going 70(in a 55 not 35, 70 in 35 is still aggravated) is a regular dui, either 30/60/90 day suspension. Getting a dui going X number of miles over the speed limit will get u an aggravated Dui which is losing ur license a year minimum. So in the eyes of the law the speed is very much a factor. Same for breathalyzer, u blow high enough u get an aggravated dui, but not sure the number on that.

I got pulled over for my dui bc i was going 15mph in a 35 zone smh. Too slow not to fast. I agree about the 70 in a 35 vs the 156 tho, both wayyyyy above the limit. But dang goin 156 is stupid if ur sober.
Kinda on topic, but doesn't Arizona have some crazy DUI rules? Like tent city and interlocks for multiple years?

Also....the more info that comes out, the worse it gets. Two guys had their actual hands on the girl trying to pull her out of the burning car--but the heat and smoke got too hot. They heard her screaming and burning alive. No way Ruggs doesnt get at least 10 years. Those good samaritans will be scarred for life.

Not going to say horrible things about the young man. I have driven drunk more than I would like to admit. Maybe I've gotten lucky. Maybe there really is something to "being able to hold your alcohol"

I know I've never had the interest in going that fast, drunk or sober. That is insane. I get nervous if I get close to 90.
What a Horrible take. not a doubt the worst response i have every seen on any chat sight. This man just murdered a young woman because he wanted to have fun drinking and driving at 156 MPH and YOU don't want to say horrible things about him because YOU did the same things. Good Gawd what has this world become. and yes you did get lucky... What a stupid phrase "maybe there REALLY is something to being able to hold your alcohol!!! no one can hold there alcohol!! one drink fogs the mind and once the mind is impaired you dont know when to stop. Damn what a bad take

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Kinda on topic, but doesn't Arizona have some crazy DUI rules? Like tent city and interlocks for multiple years?
Was it in Arizona or Nevada? I was reading that in Nevada, a DUI with injury or death is minimum two years, maximum 20 years. No probation, mandatory prison time.

Kid from our town got manslaughter for doing this about 10 years ago. I wanna say he only had to serve 3-4 but obv every case will be different. Dont see any way ruggs dodges time though unf for him.
In Nevada, vehicular manslaughter is only a misdemeanor with a max 6 month jail sentence and it does not involve driving under the influence. Basically they are saying manslaughter is just negligence, not necessarily recklessness. Example: running a red light because you weren't paying attention or speeding slightly over the limit.

The DA's office is seeking 2 charges against Ruggs for "driving under the influence causing death or substantial bodily harm" (one count for the decedent and one for his girlfriend), which are 2nd degree felonies. The second charge for his girlfriend's injuries will probably end up getting dropped in a plea deal or something, it's just there to fluff up the prosecution's case along with one count of reckless driving. In the end he'll probably have to answer for the one count which caused death. That will leave him with a minimum 2 year sentence, a $2K-$5K fine, license revocation for 3 years once he gets out of prison, and 1-3 years of ignition interlock device (blow to prove you're not drunk in order to start the car).

What a Horrible take. not a doubt the worst response i have every seen on any chat sight. This man just murdered a young woman because he wanted to have fun drinking and driving at 156 MPH and YOU don't want to say horrible things about him because YOU did the same things. Good Gawd what has this world become. and yes you did get lucky... What a stupid phrase "maybe there REALLY is something to being able to hold your alcohol!!! no one can hold there alcohol!! one drink fogs the mind and once the mind is impaired you dont know when to stop. Damn what a bad take
Blow me, bitch. Not going to explain myself to you. I have driven drunk before and didn't want to sound like a hypocrite calling him out. Sorry you don't like it.

Was it in Arizona or Nevada? I was reading that in Nevada, a DUI with injury or death is minimum two years, maximum 20 years. No probation, mandatory prison time.
Def Nevada---I was just talking in general about tough DUI states ( not involving injury or death)

Reactions: GhostOf301
Blow me, bitch. Not going to explain myself to you. I have driven drunk before and didn't want to sound like a hypocrite calling him out. Sorry you don't like it.
YOU ALREADY did explain your self to me. you are a selfish potential murder that could care less about other people. But for the grace of God -- which you call LUCK-- you would be in this assholes position. He should be publicly hung. YOU and people like this guy are the reason this world sucks... and FUVK YOU hard..

YOU ALREADY did explain your self to me. you are a selfish potential murder that could care less about other people. But for the grace of God -- which you call LUCK-- you would be in this assholes position. He should be publicly hung. YOU and people like this guy are the reason this world sucks... and FUVK YOU hard..

200.gif

What an emotional little vag you are.

It always amazes me how hard it is for some people to get the phrase, "couldN'T care less", right.

You're probably thinking specifically of Maricopa County and former sheriff/politician Joe Arpaio. He was notorious for that.
I think you are right. Pink jumpsuits, weekends in tent city jail, a ridiculous amount of community service.

Driving drunk and killing someone is the same rather you are going 156 or 70. The decision to drive drunk far outweighs the decision to go 156mph. Did alcohol play a role in his speed? Sure. But its no different if someone were going 70 in a 35, and killed someone. Both show disregard for human life.

That's not true at all. DUI with a death is obviously massive, DUI at an excessively high rate of speed with death will bring even more charges and create a much tougher burden on the defendant at trial.

Reactions: Villian07
He'll get next to nothing, although one of the charges I read brings a minimum 2 year sentence. He'll probably get that and be out in 6 months on good behavior or overcrowding.

No. He's going away for a while. I'd say a 10 year sentence would be a good place to put the over/under.

If you say you have regard for human life and then drive drunk then you ARE a hypocrite,

People make mistakes. Doesn't make you scum of the earth unless you go 156 and kill a woman and dog.

I hope anyone who drives drunk realizes how big of a loser and/or poor you are. Just get a ****ing Uber or pay a friend to drive you.

I hope anyone who drives drunk realizes how big of a loser and/or poor you are. Just get a ****ing Uber or pay a friend to drive you.
Maturity comes with age. In my early twenties, I make plenty of stupid choices driving when I shouldn't have. Thankfully I never hurt anyone or got caught. My best friend died at 27 drunk driving. That was what really woke me up. Now, if I have more than 3 beers, I don’t drive, no exceptions. Most of the time, if I'm out drinking, I plan ahead and don't drive at all. But you're right, with all of the options out there, there is no reason to risk it. I routinely drive people home from the bar and anyone who argues is not served ever again.

He could get 2. He could get 20. Those are the minimum and maximum. No, I am not betting on a sentence that is based on one person's opinion, especially when I have no idea who that person is.

Lol and yet you are confident enough to make this statement “He'll get next to nothing”

Maturity comes with age. In my early twenties, I make plenty of stupid choices driving when I shouldn't have. Thankfully I never hurt anyone or got caught. My best friend died at 27 drunk driving. That was what really woke me up. Now, if I have more than 3 beers, I don’t drive, no exceptions. Most of the time, if I'm out drinking, I plan ahead and don't drive at all. But you're right, with all of the options out there, there is no reason to risk it. I routinely drive people home from the bar and anyone who argues is not served ever again.
It's embarassing how many simple things Ive had to learn the hard way to finally grasp. Luckily-no major transgressions.

Also taking out the 35mph that he was in, if u are sober and have an accident and kill someone going 156 id say your gonna be in a world of hurt, as opposed if you were going 70. I def thonk the speed is and will be a factor but im obv no lawyer.

He didnt say he drives drunk every weekend or every night. He said hes done it before. I have too, and imagine 90% of ppl have at least once in their life, if not many times especially when they were young. I have a dui charge on my record from 2-3 years ago. I decided to quit drinking. Thats not an excuse for my dui, its a step i took so i will never get another one. Everyone makes mistakes. And not everyone lives in a big city where taxis and uber are even an option, not that thats excuses it, just saying sometimes its not as easy as jist call an uber for everyone.

You need to step down off ur soap box

That's not true at all. DUI with a death is obviously massive, DUI at an excessively high rate of speed with death will bring even more charges and create a much tougher burden on the defendant at trial.
^^^^^^ actual lawyer

Also taking out the 35mph that he was in, if u are sober and have an accident and kill someone going 156 id say your gonna be in a world of hurt, as opposed if you were going 70. I def thonk the speed is and will be a factor but im obv no lawyer.

It's common sense. Not sure why Bordon would think otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT