ADVERTISEMENT

Great Article on Duke and Coach K

Duke had probably the best recruiting class in history. Duke started off the year by clobbering Kentucky and got worse by the end of the year. Kentucky started off bad and improved over the year. Duke should have won the title with no problem. Seemed to be some dissension on the team.
Dissessnion. Where?

Thanks for answering.

Do I know most Dukies? No. Are you simple? Yes. We have heard all year long from pretty much everyone that Duke was far and away the best team. That healthy, no one could beat them. So far, we have 2 Dukies ITT admitting that maybe they were overrated.

It begs the question, is that more on K or more on the players?
Where have you heard this? Who does the ratings? Who does the rankings.

Funny though, I heard all year that UNC was a FF team. Are they overrated.

And to answer your question. Read it on THR?

Cal's lack of discipline really gets under my skin at times so I understand the frustration Bignish has with K and their one and dones.

You love to start shit. Were you an only child? You seem like someone who grew up used to having all of the attention and had to adjust later in life when you realized the world wasn't your stage after all. You're like Carolina's version of @Random UK Fan but less funny and more partisan.

Either way, Zion made his choice after Duke's recruiting class was complete minus his place. Duke probably would have recruited a shooter had Zion went elsewhere. Not sure how anyone can justify saying that Krzyzewski failed Zion. The level of vile hatred towards Krzyzewski is to the point that so called journalists can write any negative article about him and giddy little haters like you will eat it all up and rush to a message board and give those losers undeserving clicks.

You love to start shit. Were you an only child? You seem like someone who grew up used to having all of the attention and had to adjust later in life when you realized the world wasn't your stage after all. You're like Carolina's version of @Random UK Fan but less funny and more partisan.

Either way, Zion made his choice after Duke's recruiting class was complete minus his place. Duke probably would have recruited a shooter had Zion went elsewhere. Not sure how anyone can justify saying that Krzyzewski failed Zion. The level of vile hatred towards Krzyzewski is to the point that so called journalists can write any negative article about him and giddy little haters like you will eat it all up and rush to a message board and give those losers undeserving clicks.
You’re clearly not checking your home board at the door.

1. You have stirred the shit on multiple topics so you don’t get to call out others for something you do frequently.

2. I pulled this from your home board after @pisgah101 linked the story in my OP there.

3. Whether you like it or not, this is a big story. Zion has been a transcendent player playing for possibly the greatest coach of all time. When it falls apart, people are going to Monday morning QB it. Welcome to sports. Just because you don’t like the story doesn’t make it a non-story.

I pretty much think that everything has to happen just right in every season. This was nothing different.

I was actually expecting to lose to UK though, not AU

That's fair. The NCAA Tournament is by far the most entertaining way to crown a champ, but the best team doesn't win too often.

Kentucky getting better through the year is also very debatable. But that's for another day.

Nah. UK got murdered by 34 on opening day and generally looked like shit until SEC play started. They really improved, then Travis got hurt - > PJ got hurt - > they were in the sweet 16.

You’re clearly not checking your home board at the door.

1. You have stirred the shit on multiple topics so you don’t get to call out others for something you do frequently.

2. I pulled this from your home board after @pisgah101 linked the story in my OP there.

3. Whether you like it or not, this is a big story. Zion has been a transcendent player playing for possibly the greatest coach of all time. When it falls apart, people are going to Monday morning QB it. Welcome to sports. Just because you don’t like the story doesn’t make it a non-story.
So you went to Duke's home board and brought the home board topic here? Sounds like you're the one who is not checking my home board at the door.

And I didn't say that I don't start shit. But I at least use my team as a relevant point of topic when I do start shit.

You have become an annoying troll to the level of Phill.

So you went to Duke's home board and brought the home board topic here? Sounds like you're the one who is not checking my home board at the door.

And I didn't say that I don't start shit. But I at least use my team as a relevant point of topic when I do start shit.

You have become an annoying troll to the level of Phill.
Bringing information from a home board does not equal acting like a home boarder.

Having a meltdown anytime someone is critical of your team is.

Sorry you can’t see the difference. You are clearly taking this loss way too hard. I’d suggest you look back to last year and how @jhmossy handled things.

Bringing information from a home board does not equal acting like a home boarder.

Sorry you can’t see the difference. You are clearly taking this loss way too hard. I’d suggest you look back to last year and how @jhmossy handled things.
Dude. I am nowhere near meltdown mode. And I am completely over the loss. They're going to lose every year they try to start 4 or 5 freshmen. This has nothing to do with Duke losing. This has to do with the atrocious takes from people like you and the dumbasses like the writer of the article you posted.

Reactions: jhmossy
Dude. I am nowhere near meltdown mode. And I am completely over the loss. They're going to lose every year they try to start 4 or 5 freshmen. This has nothing to do with Duke losing. This has to do with the atrocious takes from people like you and the dumbasses like the writer of the article you posted.
giphy.gif

It was very noticeable that Zion was not being used against MSU. I’m sure MSU appreciated that. Perhaps Coach K never had a superstar like Zion. He always had to make all the pieces fit.

It was very noticeable that Zion was not being used against MSU. I’m sure MSU appreciated that. Perhaps Coach K never had a superstar like Zion. He always had to make all the pieces fit.
I think MSU deserves credit for doing everything they could to take him out of the game in the final 3 minutes. At the same time, it would have been great to at least give him a shot with the ball in his hands.

Then what would be a good take? What angle should the media be on, if not the one of bad coaching and underachieving? The problem is that when a guy/team is pumped way up, the media is going to ride them hard when they go down.

However, your opinion that most Duke fans weren't expecting a Final 4 does not jive with my observations.

I disagree. Leave homeboards at the door.

"we expected less than you" is great. "if that was our team"..."if we...blSick

and **** Jack odonnel. who the **** is he to hindsight Coach K. Dipshit.

I should love the Duke hate, but it's the same regurgitated shit UK fans have been hearing for years. "your team was better than mine, you should have won it all".

anyway...hi ho. off to work.

Last edited:
Then what would be a good take? What angle should the media be on, if not the one of bad coaching and underachieving? The problem is that when a guy/team is pumped way up, the media is going to ride them hard when they go down.

However, your opinion that most Duke fans weren't expecting a Final 4 does not jive with my observations.
A good take would be that this team had a lot of talent and certainly enough to make it to the FF. But had obvious flaws that have ended many great teams in a single elimination tournament. They were good enough to win the championship, like many teams that failed to do so, but their flaws were too much to overcome against a good and prepared team.

And I never said that most Duke fans weren't expecting to make it to the final four. You are making that up. I expected them to make it to the FF the day the brackets were released. What I said was that most Duke fans saw the struggles and knew that this team could be beat. I never said it wasn't a disappointment, I said it wasn't this earth shattering event that some people are making it out to be.

A good take would be that this team had a lot of talent and certainly enough to make it to the FF. But had obvious flaws that have ended many great teams in a single elimination tournament. They were good enough to win the championship, like many teams that failed to do so, but their flaws were too much to overcome against a good and prepared team.

And I never said that most Duke fans weren't expecting to make it to the final four. You are making that up. I expected them to make it to the FF the day the brackets were released. What I said was that most Duke fans saw the struggles and knew that this team could be beat. I never said it wasn't a disappointment, I said it wasn't this earth shattering event that some people are making it out to be.

Yeah, well no one will click and read that Kumbaya story. The media spent 5 months telling everyone that Williamson is the best young player since LeBron and people at that shit up. They aren't going to backtrack on that now- there needs to be an easy to grasp reason that the best player since LeBron didn't even make the final 4 and that reason is K screwed up, based on the theme of the stories I am seeing. You can bitch about that if you want, but remember that 5 months worth of Duke worship that you got from the media when things were going well does a lot to help Duke recruit.

And who ever said it was earth shattering that Duke lost (other than the media, which was just discussed)?

Yeah, well no one will click and read that Kumbaya story. The media spent 5 months telling everyone that Williamson is the best young player since LeBron and people at that shit up. They aren't going to backtrack on that now- there needs to be an easy to grasp reason that the best player since LeBron didn't even make the final 4 and that reason is K screwed up, based on the theme of the stories I am seeing. You can bitch about that if you want, but remember that 5 months worth of Duke worship that you got from the media when things were going well does a lot to help Duke recruit.

And who ever said it was earth shattering that Duke lost (other than the media, which was just discussed)?
Cool. So you are saying that the media created the hype and now coach K should be burned by the same media for not living up to the hype they appointed him? Nice.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Look, it is pretty simple. The media has sucked up to Duke and K for years, especially the biggest sports networks out there. So when there is some criticism rival fans are going to enjoy. The good press Duke has gotten far outweighs this little bit of bad. We will enjoy the bad though, especially when we have been a victim to it and no one minded talking about it.

Cool. So you are saying that the media created the hype and now coach K should be burned by the same media for not living up to the hype they appointed him? Nice.

That's how it works. If you are going to take the good (greatly increased and positive exposure for 5 months) then you have to take the bad in the form of articles blaming Coach K and Duke for losing.

Reactions: Sevro
I think the hype was warranted. They just didn’t live up to it. It happens.
I do think the hype surrounding Zion was warranted and to a lesser degree, Barrett. But the beating NBA teams and the undefeated hype was not. That was all a product of one game. But you're right, it happens.

That's how it works. If you are going to take the good (greatly increased and positive exposure for 5 months) then you have to take the bad in the form of articles blaming Coach K and Duke for losing.
I don't think we're on the same page here. I think that you think that I am confused by the backlash and the negative articles. I am not. I totally get it, there are a lot of haters out there and Duke is not unique in that aspect. I am just challenging their crappy takes.

I don't think we're on the same page here. I think that you think that I am confused by the backlash and the negative articles. I am not. I totally get it, there are a lot of haters out there and Duke is not unique in that aspect. I am just challenging their crappy takes.

Their takes were just as crappy when they were blowing sunshine up Williamson's ass. Why now the concern about their crappy takes?

Reactions: Sevro
Their takes were just as crappy when they were blowing sunshine up Williamson's ass. Why now the concern about their crappy takes?
I said throughout the year that Duke was not what they were making them out to be. Even the day after beating Kentucky. I've been pretty consistent with calling them out. However, I am spending more time calling them out now because a unc fan keeps posting articles about Duke. Was it the media hyping Duke or was it Duke fans on this board hyping Duke? Because I would not have said a word about all of the negative garbage here if it weren't comments by posters here and a unc fan posting the articles.

So there are rules.

I said throughout the year that Duke was not what they were making them out to be. Even the day after beating Kentucky. I've been pretty consistent with calling them out. However, I am spending more time calling them out now because a unc fan keeps posting articles about Duke. Was it the media hyping Duke or was it Duke fans on this board hyping Duke? Because I would not have said a word about all of the negative garbage here if it weren't comments by posters here and a unc fan posting the articles.
Clemson*

Nothing was crappy about the hype Zion received. He was worth every minute. Other than Barrett, the rest just weren’t what Duke needed them to be to win the title.
Some of the takes now aren’t all that off base.

But to be fair, these talking heads, and some of our own blind fans, spewed this garbage that Duke could beat nba teams, and basically anointing Duke as the champs in November. It only set Duke up to have nowhere to go but down.

No doubt they will be showing Zion highlights during each game this weekend.
I feel like they did this to a lesser extent in 2014 with Joel Embiid. I remember watching games that had nothing to do with Kansas and the announcers would bring him up. That KU team also had Andrew Wiggins so ESPN pumped that team up more than they probably should have. There were a lot of side stories about both that year and that usually doesn’t happen unless they think you’re the next big thing in the NBA.

Nothing was crappy about the hype Zion received. He was worth every minute. Other than Barrett, the rest just weren’t what Duke needed them to be to win the title.
Some of the takes now aren’t all that off base.

But to be fair, these talking heads, and some of our own blind fans, spewed this garbage that Duke could beat nba teams, and basically anointing Duke as the champs in November. It only set Duke up to have nowhere to go but down.
The whole argument that Duke could beat NBA teams was ridiculous. What was more ridiculous was how soon they were saying these things. If it were ever to have been a legitimate debate, it wouldn't be until now where Duke would be 38-0 headed into the FF. So Duke has 3-4 legit players that could make a roster. Guess what every NBA team has? 15 players that are on an NBA roster.

I feel like they did this to a lesser extent in 2014 with Joel Embiid. I remember watching games that had nothing to do with Kansas and the announcers would bring him up. That KU team also had Andrew Wiggins so ESPN pumped that team up more than they probably should have. There were a lot of side stories about both that year and that usually doesn’t happen unless they think you’re the next big thing in the NBA.
It just is what it is. College basketball doesn't have the following it used to have. The networks, espn in particular, basically just use CBB as a marketing platform for the NBA. So obviously they are going to focus on the biggest stars.

ADVERTISEMENT