ADVERTISEMENT

Great Article on Duke and Coach K

Apples and oranges. Duke regressed this year. Even you have admitted it. UNC was sick and even if they weren't, Auburn was on fire. They would have beaten anyone in that game.

But against UCF, VT, and MSU Duke struggled because the blueprint to beat them was out. Pack the paint, frustrate Zion, and let them shoot.
What does any of this have to do with your blanketed statement that guys like RJ and Zion are supposed to win? Your guys were sick, but you don't make excuses. Our guys can't shoot for shit. My point is that saying things like, guys like whoever should win, doesn't mean that winning cames easy. If so, why play the game?

What does any of this have to do with your blanketed statement that guys like RJ and Zion are supposed to win? Your guys were sick, but you don't make excuses. Our guys can't shoot for shit. My point is that saying things like, guys like whoever should win, doesn't mean that winning cames easy. If so, why play the game?
Uh, RJ and Zion will be NBA All-Stars. Zion was one of the most impactful players in college ever. Reddish is good. Duke had far and away more talent than any other team. This was maybe the most hyped and heralded freshman class ever. How are you not understanding my point? Not only did Duke fizzle out early, they weren't anywhere close to the elite team they were supposed to be.

Reactions: lerario
Uh, RJ and Zion will be NBA All-Stars. Zion was one of the most impactful players in college ever. Reddish is good. Duke had far and away more talent than any other team. This was maybe the most hyped and heralded freshman class ever. How are you not understanding my point? Not only did Duke fizzle out early, they weren't anywhere close to the elite team they were supposed to be.

I think the real issue with Duke is that they never really improved from the game against UK- if anything, they regressed.

That's OK though- I'm sure K will just round up 5 more of the greatest HS players to ever suit up and position himself to win it all next year.

Reactions: RipThru
It didn't pan out, did it? Hype does not win games. It's been proven yet again this year that elite freshmen with no experienced leadership and talent surrounding them doesn't win championships. And Duke was behind Kentucky and Kansas coming into the season when it comes to title favorites. It wasn't till their game against Kentucky that the hype train started. Before that is was, Zion's fat, Barrett won't want to share the ball and Reddish plays the same position. Convenient how now a lot of the same people who were saying those things are now saying Duke was a huge bust.

Losing to a good team in the elite eight is not fizzling out. It is disappointing, but it is not as big of an event as you are making it out to be. NBA potential has never and will never make a college team an automatic shoe in for the national championship. In fact, more great players have lost in the tournament than have won.

I get that, but Duke has been playing with fire a lot this year. So many close games where talent alone got them ahead. Duke could just as easily lost to UCF or VT.

We all the know the Tourney is a crapshoot, but guys like Zion and RJ are supposed to win.

They were rolling before Zion got hurt which hurt the chemistry. I also think the abnormal amount of pressure for them to win was tough to deal with. Has to be rough dealing with every pundit on ESPN and CBS assuming you will roll through team’s x y and z. It’s only college, this isn’t the Golden State Warriors, kids don’t deal with that kind of hype the same as pros.

It didn't pan out, did it? Hype does not win games. It's been proven yet again this year that elite freshmen with no experienced leadership and talent surrounding them doesn't win championships. And Duke was behind Kentucky and Kansas coming into the season when it comes to title favorites. It wasn't till their game against Kentucky that the hype train started. Before that is was, Zion's fat, Barrett won't want to share the ball and Reddish plays the same position. Convenient how now a lot of the same people who were saying those things are now saying Duke was a huge bust.

Losing to a good team in the elite eight is not fizzling out. It is disappointing, but it is not as big of an event as you are making it out to be. NBA potential has never and will never make a college team an automatic shoe in for the national championship. In fact, more great players have lost in the tournament than have won.

It's so refreshing to read post like this from someone other than a UK fan.

UK and Duke have been in the hunt for a title every year for a while now. That's all teams can ask for. So much emphasis on "title or bust" from outside fans when we get to the final four, then the narrative changes to can't even make a FF , then out of the other side of their mouth say, we have unrealistic expectations.

UK and Duke, with their OAD's, will be back in the hunt again next year.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
K is still the GOAT but the last 2 years have been failures. This years team had no leadership compared to the 2015 championship team that had Quin Cook. It seems like K didn’t hold this team/ certain players accountable
UNC fan. Priceless. Who was your leader this year.

Apples and oranges. Duke regressed this year. Even you have admitted it. UNC was sick and even if they weren't, Auburn was on fire. They would have beaten anyone in that game.

But against UCF, VT, and MSU Duke struggled because the blueprint to beat them was out. Pack the paint, frustrate Zion, and let them shoot.
Excuses, excuses. The Carolina Way.

I get that, but Duke has been playing with fire a lot this year. So many close games where talent alone got them ahead. Duke could just as easily lost to UCF or VT.

We all the know the Tourney is a crapshoot, but guys like Zion and RJ are supposed to win.
And UNC with your 3 1st round picks? Aren’t you supposed to win? You had the great Luke Maye.

Did you not watch Duke? On one hand, you say we can’t shoot the 3, in the other, we should win

You should maybe about Roys lack of success the last two years.

I'm sure there's a few stacked Blue Blood rosters the past few seasons that didn't make the FF.

True but if UNC had a stacked squad and didn’t make it to the FF that’s a failure to me. Upsets happen in this tournament all the time and we hope it’s not the team we root for.

Bruh, everyone but you thinks this Duke team losing is a big deal. I think UNC choked the last 2 years, just not on the level Duke did.

Call it what you want. Stacked squad 2 years running and no final 4. That’s a fail, sorry if it makes you mad.
Two guys who carry over 50% of the team's scoring load is staked?

Again, you guys are focusing too much on what NBA scouts are looking at. The same people who are saying Jones is a bust and Reddish shouldn't be rated as high are flipping their own narrative to change it to fit a different narrative.

Is missing the final four a disappointment for Duke? Yes. Is it some kind of mind blowing event? No. I didn't expect Duke not to make it to the FF. But I, like many Duke fans here, have made it clear that I knew this team had flaws and hadn't looked good in a long time. I just had hope they would get it going. End of the day, they didn't have enough horses. Is what it is and nothing more.

Bruh, everyone but you thinks this Duke team losing is a big deal. I think UNC choked the last 2 years, just not on the level Duke did.
I never said it wasn't a deal. It's just not the deal you are making it to be. Just because espn and cbs hailed Duke to be some unbeatable force doesn't mean they were. You are holding Duke to the media's standards and not to a reasonable standard based on common knowledge of teams that have been successful throughout the years including in the OAD era.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I never said it wasn't a deal. It's just not the deal you are making it to be. Just because espn and cbs hailed Duke to be some unbeatable force doesn't mean they were. You are holding Duke to the media's standards and not to a reasonable standard based on common knowledge of teams that have been successful throughout the years including in the OAD era.
It's like he's tossing you softballs at this point.

Our job as fans, is to make other fan's problems worse than ours. UNC lost to Auburn, but that doesn't compare to using's one's success against them.

Recruiting titles doesn't mean shit in October. Yeah, hang a banner. Come March, Omg you didn't hang a banner?

It's funny to watch.

Let's put it this way- the vast majority of knowledgeable, rational Duke fans expected a final 4 this year, especially if you had taken a poll on March 16. The vast majority of knowledgeable, rational Carolina fans hoped for a final4, but we knew everything had to happen just right in order to get there. Also the case with the vast majority of rational UK fans- all 3 of them.

Reactions: Sevro
Let's put it this way- the vast majority of knowledgeable, rational Duke fans expected a final 4 this year, especially if you had taken a poll on March 16. The vast majority of knowledgeable, rational Carolina fans hoped for a final4, but we knew everything had to happen just right in order to get there. Also the case with the vast majority of rational UK fans- all 3 of them.
Going into the season, right?

Again, you guys are focusing too much on what NBA scouts are looking at. The same people who are saying Jones is a bust and Reddish shouldn't be rated as high are flipping their own narrative to change it to fit a different narrative.

Is missing the final four a disappointment for Duke? Yes. Is it some kind of mind blowing event? No. I didn't expect Duke not to make it to the FF. But I, like many Duke fans here, have made it clear that I knew this team had flaws and hadn't looked good in a long time. I just had hope they would get it going. End of the day, they didn't have enough horses. Is what it is and nothing more.

Coming into the season no one knew it would play out that way. The reasonable Duke fans and that includes you knew as the season went on that you had flaws. No senior leadership on this team and to me that’s important. Your 2015 championship team had Quin Cook, UK in 2012 had Darius Miller. Also the way you beat UK to open the season started the whole thing. Had you won by 2 every talking head wouldn’t of been crazy with their comments about Duke.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It reads to me, you were sold by Duke fans that they would be good this year, and you had little confidence in UNC.

Coming into the season no one knew it would play out that way. The reasonable Duke fans and that includes you knew as the season went on that you had flaws. No senior leadership on this team and to me that’s important. Your 2015 championship team had Quin Cook, UK in 2012 had Darius Miller. Also the way you beat UK to open the season started the whole thing. Had you won by 2 every talking head wouldn’t of been crazy with their comments about Duke.
This sounds homerish and don't mean to, but it seems that UK game did more harm than good. They immediately went on a pedestal.

Reactions: AWilli6995

Yes. Most level headed Duke fans, and unfortunately on our home board, there’s quite a few that aren’t, knew Tre wasn’t a shooter, and that Cam was offensively overrated, and our role players haven’t developed. Other than that, Duke was a perfect team.
We had this hope that Zion could carry us. He almost did.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Some talking heads were ready to crown Duke and bury UK. Not fair to either team but that’s the world we live in.
When it comes to the talking heads, Duke being the best team since this or that year and will cruise to a championship after one game is college basketball's version of Russia collusion. If you were all in it without letting it play out, that's on you.

Reactions: AWilli6995
When it comes to the talking heads, Duke being the best team since this or that year and will cruise to a championship after one game is college basketball's version of Russia collusion. If you were all in it without letting it play out, that's on you.
So in your opinion, you don’t think this Duke team was historically very good to great?

Reactions: UNC71-00
How many Duke fans are you talking about? I was hoping for a FF. Especially after watching all year. Heck, was banned at DI for saying negative things about

So in your opinion, you don’t think this Duke team was historically very good to great?
Good. Not great. 1999 still haunts me. K was out coached by Calhoun.

And then the year we lost to uconn in the FF when 4 Duke big men fouled out and not one uconn player did.

They could have been with a legit 2, one or two scorers off the bench and a PG that demanded respect from defenses.

But the point was, listening to people who have an agenda and financial motivations to draw your attention for tv ratings and clicks on their websites is not the best way to get information.

No- I’m talking about a poll on the Sunday after the ACCT. That’s why I said March 16
Can't find the poll you speak of. Got tired of looking for it. But it is an interesting take by you seeing how after Duke only won by one point against unc, we were seeing so many comments by unc fans saying they were just as good as Duke and they felt good going into the tournament.

It's just weird that a lot of people were talking about how beatable Duke was a month ago, even Duke fans. But when they lose in the elite eight, it's earth shattering news.

Very strong reader. It’s why I know what a F’ng idiot you are.

The only thing you’re strong at is being a idiot. UNC is always on your mind but you can’t help it, you are consumed with us and you think it’s cute. Laughing

You guys were a one seed. Stop it. Even if you shouldn't have been one to say everything had to happen just right to get there is foolish. And yes Duke not making the final four is the biggest choke job in years. Kentucky not making it after getting Auburn without their best player was a bad look too.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
You guys were a one seed. Stop it. Even if you shouldn't have been one to say everything had to happen just right to get there is foolish. And yes Duke not making the final four is the biggest choke job in years. Kentucky not making it after getting Auburn without their best player was a bad look too.
How many years though? Who was the last one that we can compare to

ADVERTISEMENT