ADVERTISEMENT

Great Article on Duke and Coach K

Sevro

Nov 18, 2018
Fyre Island
https://www.theringer.com/march-madness/2019/4/1/18290521/duke-coach-k-one-and-done-failure

Overall, I tend to agree with the writer here (shocker) but I take exception when he says this period was the worst under K. Duke did win it all in 2015. It also puts into perspective how hard has made the job on himself. He literally has to recreate a team every year. Guys who stick around have to change with the system from year to year. I hadn’t considered that hurdle before.

Reactions: bkingUK
Just about all of my experiences with unc fans throughout the years have left no doubt that the majority of them focus more on Duke than they do unc. The OP definitely fits into that category.

Just about all of my experiences with unc fans throughout the years have left no doubt that the majority of them focus more on Duke than they do unc. The OP definitely fits into that category.

UNC fans can say the same about duke fans. That’s what rival fan bases do.

Is this dude a fan of anyone or just a hater
I’m a big fan of your work. I love how you trumpet your dislike of the OAD on DI and displeasure with K’s job this year.
I tend to avoid Duke fans.

Reactions: bkingUK
Duke fans are definitely as obsessed with UNC as UNC fans are with Duke as a whole. Obviously, it is pretty specific to the individual. For a long time on DI you guys had an entire thread that was the most popular thing in the history of that board specifically devoted to making fun of not just UNC but individual UNC fans. It doesn't much more sad than that tbh. There are plenty of UNC fans just as guilty. I just am smart enough to realize it.

You have to admit that if UNC got the media coverage and love Duke did there would be a lot of Duke fans taking some shots. Hell, there are anyway without it.

Duke fans are definitely as obsessed with UNC as UNC fans are with Duke as a whole. Obviously, it is pretty specific to the individual. For a long time on DI you guys had an entire thread that was the most popular thing in the history of that board specifically devoted to making fun of not just UNC but individual UNC fans. It doesn't much more sad than that tbh. There are plenty of UNC fans just as guilty. I just am smart enough to realize it.

You have to admit that if UNC got the media coverage and love Duke did there would be a lot of Duke fans taking some shots. Hell, there are anyway without it.
Check Thr and then DI. Thr had 7 threads about Duke at the top yesterday.

I kind of feel bad for the Duke fans, tbh. For years K had senior laden teams with guys who really bought into the program and the school. They had all sorts of upperclassmen that the fans had grown to "know" through the years and now, they are basically running an NBA D-league team. I really hate it for the Duke guys.

JK. Duck Fuke.

I remember certain Duke fans saying Calipari blew the U21 game vs Canada, a game that featured RJ Barrett starring for Canada.

Yet, Coach K, with Barrett AND Williamson, could not beat Michigan State.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

I remember certain Duke fans saying Calipari blew the U21 game vs Canada, a game that featured RJ Barrett starring for Canada.

Yet, Coach K, with Barrett AND Williamson, could not beat Michigan State.

Just wanted to throw that out there.
I think K should retire at this point so we can hire Chris Beard and get the program back on track. He lets the OADs do whatever they want and doesn't hold them accountable while he refuses to develop a bench and gives all the role players a short leash.

The lack of accountability in this program is sickening.

Ingram
Tatum
Allen
Kennard
Carter
Bagley
Jackson
Duval
Trent
Zion
RJ
Cam
Tre

0 Final 4s to show for it, you can't make this stuff up, what a joke.

I think K should retire at this point so we can hire Chris Beard and get the program back on track. He lets the OADs do whatever they want and doesn't hold them accountable while he refuses to develop a bench and gives all the role players a short leash.

Ingram
Tatum
Allen
Kennard
Carter
Bagley
Jackson
Duval
Trent
Zion
RJ
Cam
Tre

POST OF THE YEAR!

Agree 100%.

Coach K is a massive fraud, the most overrated coach in sports. Guy has basically had one team of future NBA all stars after another and all he has to show for it is the occasional championship when he gets lucky enough to have a floor general PG who can run a team despite having a shitty coach.

At this point Coach K is no different from Jerry Tarknanian. Great recruiter, horrible game coach, only won anything when he had an NBA PG running the show (Greg Anthony).

This year was maybe Coach K's worst job yet. He literally did nothing all season. Rolled the ball out there and let the freshman play. That was the entirety of the Duke gameplan this season.

Reactions: lerario and Sevro
POST OF THE YEAR!

Agree 100%.

Coach K is a massive fraud, the most overrated coach in sports. Guy has basically had one team of future NBA all stars after another and all he has to show for it is the occasional championship when he gets lucky enough to have a floor general PG who can run a team despite having a shitty coach.

At this point Coach K is no different from Jerry Tarknanian. Great recruiter, horrible game coach, only won anything when he had an NBA PG running the show (Greg Anthony).

This year was maybe Coach K's worst job yet. He literally did nothing all season. Rolled the ball out there and let the freshman play. That was the entirety of the Duke gameplan this season.
He used to be a great coach in the 1980s and 1990s. Duke ran a motion offense back then and Laettner said that if you didn't play defense, then your ass was sitting on the bench.

K is basically a motivational speaker for elite recruits at this point. He hasn't coached in a while.

POST OF THE YEAR!

Agree 100%.

Who do you root for?

Ingram
Tatum
Allen
Kennard
Carter
Bagley
Jackson
Duval
Trent
Zion
RJ
Cam
Tre

He used to be a great coach in the 1980s and 1990s. Duke ran a motion offense back then and Laettner said that if you didn't play defense, then your ass was sitting on the bench.

K is basically a motivational speaker for elite recruits at this point. He hasn't coached in a while.
This type of honesty and self-reflection is refreshing.

Wasting Zion has broken our fanbase and made us look in the mirror.

K is still the GOAT but the last 2 years have been failures. This years team had no leadership compared to the 2015 championship team that had Quin Cook. It seems like K didn’t hold this team/ certain players accountable

K is getting old and he gambled on the OADs. In doing so, he turned his back on what the foundation of Duke is. Kind of sad when you think about it. He can probably turn it around and rebuild a winner, but does he have time? He is not getting any younger.

Roy just signed an extension, but I can't see him coaching it out. That is a long time to be coaching.

Reactions: lerario
This started when he sold out to the OAD. I don't fully agree that he did not coach or that this was his worst year coaching. Though he is still responsible for it. This year was a trickle down product of the 2017 recruiting class. Just like 2 years from now will be a trickle down product of this year's recruiting class. It is just the way it is if you are going to promise the top talent all the playing time every year. The next tier players that will make up your bench or your role players that will eventually be starters have no desire to come to Duke because they know that next year's OAD team will be given the same minutes.

The 4 or 5 OADs experiment has worked exactly zero times ever and this year was probably the best and last chance for it to.

This started when he sold out to the OAD. I don't fully agree that he did not coach or that this was his worst year coaching. Though he is still responsible for it. This year was a trickle down product of the 2017 recruiting class. Just like 2 years from now will be a trickle down product of this year's recruiting class. It is just the way it is if you are going to promise the top talent all the playing time every year. The next tier players that will make up your bench or your role players that will eventually be starters have no desire to come to Duke because they know that next year's OAD team will be given the same minutes.

The 4 or 5 OADs experiment has worked exactly zero times ever and this year was probably the best and last chance for it to.
I'll go a step further and say he hasn't been bad at it. He's been a victim of being too good a recruiter and having to reset the board every year. That is probably an impossible task in today's game.

You need returning talent and elite one and dones to make it work. 2012 UK worked so well because they had the best shooter in program history in Lamb, an elite sophomore big in Terrence Jones and senior Darius Miller off the bench.
2015 returned like 6 players from a team that went to the title game.

The whole problem with one and dones is when there is constant turnover the roster makeup usually isn't good enough. So if you miss on a player odds are you replace him with someone worse in terms of fit or skill.

You need returning talent and elite one and dones to make it work. 2012 UK worked so well because they had the best shooter in program history in Lamb, an elite sophomore big in Terrence Jones and senior Darius Miller off the bench.
2015 returned like 6 players from a team that went to the title game.

The whole problem with one and dones is when there is constant turnover the roster makeup usually isn't good enough. So if you miss on a player odds are you replace him with someone worse in terms of fit or skill.
Exactly, I kinda forgot about him but if Gary Trent Jr. comes back and we start him instead of Reddish, Duke is probably still dancing. He would've been the 3 point shooter we needed.

The top tier guys I'm fine leaving for the NBA but its hurts when guys who are lucky to be first rounders like Trent, Duval, Frank Jackson, Jarred Vanderbilt and Dakari Johnson declare while future contributors like SKJ, Ojeleye and Wiltjer transfer.

I think the grad transfer route should be explored more to give our programs some more stability. Rodney Hood, Seth Curry and Reid Travis are good examples.

Exactly, I kinda forgot about him but if Gary Trent Jr. comes back and we start him instead of Reddish, Duke is probably still dancing. He would've been the 3 point shooter we needed.

The top tier guys I'm fine leaving for the NBA but its hurts when guys who are lucky to be first rounders like Trent, Duval, Frank Jackson, Jarred Vanderbilt and Dakari Johnson declare while future contributors like SKJ, Ojeleye and Wiltjer transfer.

I think the grad transfer route should be explored more to give our programs some more stability. Rodney Hood, Seth Curry and Reid Travis are good examples.

Agreed though I think Vanderbilt was a special case. He had like 3 foot injuries in high school then hurt his other one at UK. He's a big and got like 2m guaranteed. Don't blame him at all.

The grad transfer route absolutely should be used more especially with the one and done. Having a guy like Travis was huge for UK. Not every one will be as good as him but having guys that were in a program for 3/4 years really helps.

Its as simple as this. If one basket MSU made doesn't go in, the narrative is totally different. But since Duke lost it means everything K does is questioned and the narrative is "K cant coach one and dones".

The point for any head coach is to put together a roster with maximum talent and coach them to a high seed. After that its either they will make the plays in a pressure packed environment, or they wont. The NCAAT is in a lot of ways a roulette wheel, the best teams in CBB don't go through tough stretches in the schedule unscathed typically, a national title requires usually atleast 3 straight victories against top 15 competition, anything can happen in March. If you replay this tournament 10 times, Duke wins a few Im sure.

Reactions: tw3301
Its as simple as this. If one basket MSU made doesn't go in, the narrative is totally different. But since Duke lost it means everything K does is questioned and the narrative is "K cant coach one and dones".

The point for any head coach is to put together a roster with maximum talent and coach them to a high seed. After that its either they will make the plays in a pressure packed environment, or they wont. The NCAAT is in a lot of ways a roulette wheel, the best teams in CBB don't go through tough stretches in the schedule unscathed typically, a national title requires usually atleast 3 straight victories against top 15 competition, anything can happen in March. If you replay this tournament 10 times, Duke wins a few Im sure.
I get that, but Duke has been playing with fire a lot this year. So many close games where talent alone got them ahead. Duke could just as easily lost to UCF or VT.

We all the know the Tourney is a crapshoot, but guys like Zion and RJ are supposed to win.

You can say this till you turn blue. Doesn't mean it's just that simple or just that easy.

Like watch this. Guys like Roy Williams are supposed to win against guys like Bruce Pearl. So easy to say.
Apples and oranges. Duke regressed this year. Even you have admitted it. UNC was sick and even if they weren't, Auburn was on fire. They would have beaten anyone in that game.

But against UCF, VT, and MSU Duke struggled because the blueprint to beat them was out. Pack the paint, frustrate Zion, and let them shoot.

ADVERTISEMENT