ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga gets best Chinese prospect in a decade

I think the fear with Gonzaga is what happens if/when Mark Few leaves/retires. Will Gonzaga continue to be a national player in hoops or will they be closer to their WCC peers?

Reactions: dukedevilz
I think the fear with Gonzaga is what happens if/when Mark Few leaves/retires. Will Gonzaga continue to be a national player in hoops or will they be closer to their WCC peers?

Hasn't Few been pursued by Oregon, Arizona, and UCLA? Maybe he'd leave for Kansas, Duke, UNC, or Kentucky. That's probably about it at this point. He might have 10-15 more seasons of coaching in him, but obviously the reality is he's going to hang it up at some point. I suspect all of those seasons will be in Spokane. Gonzaga reverting back to a normal-ish program post-Few is a legitimate concern. However, I think if Gonzaga had Pac-12 status, they wouldn't have to worry about the turnover struggle, as they could hire a top-notch coach, and retain their clout with top 100 recruits.

Hasn't Few been pursued by Oregon, Arizona, and UCLA? Maybe he'd leave for Kansas, Duke, UNC, or Kentucky. That's probably about it at this point. He might have 10-15 more seasons of coaching in him, but obviously the reality is he's going to hang it up at some point. I suspect all of those seasons will be in Spokane. Gonzaga reverting back to a normal-ish program post-Few is a legitimate concern. However, I think if Gonzaga had Pac-12 status, they wouldn't have to worry about the turnover struggle, as they could hire a top-notch coach, and retain their clout with top 100 recruits.

I don't think Few is necessarily going to leave for another college job but there will be a day, at some point in future, where he isn't going to be the coach at Gonzaga. I think that's where the concern begins. PAC 12 status could help but that alone wouldn't keep them in the upper tier of college basketball necessarily.

Reactions: dukedevilz
This is the attitude of someone who wants to pad the win total and avoid competition. Pretty sad if that's Gonzaga's mentality.

I'd be bored to tears as a Gonzaga fan or player. Who would you be more pumped to play--Arizona or Pepperdine?
Apparently he would rather Pepperdine.

I don't think Few is necessarily going to leave for another college job but there will be a day, at some point in future, where he isn't going to be the coach at Gonzaga. I think that's where the concern begins. PAC 12 status could help but that alone wouldn't keep them in the upper tier of college basketball necessarily.
Few won’t leave for another job. And I don’t see him as a guy that coaches for another 10-15 years. Tommy Lloyd has been named his successor already and he is the main recruiter for Gonzaga, especially on international prospects.

I think that the money that Gonzaga pays on basketball also keeps them relevant after Few leaves.

Few won’t leave for another job. And I don’t see him as a guy that coaches for another 10-15 years. Tommy Lloyd has been named his successor already and he is the main recruiter for Gonzaga, especially on international prospects.

I think that the money that Gonzaga pays on basketball also keeps them relevant after Few leaves.

I agree. I’m for adding Gonzaga. I’m just trying to answer on why there might be a hold up

Wazzu for sure because they are in the same area. But let’s be real. Gonzaga isn’t recruiting against Wazzu in basketball, even as a member of the WCC
Really? I would assume Gonzaga has an easier time in living rooms out there than the Cougs. The next Wazzu great I could name would be the first. I'm sure there's at least one I actually know, but not off the top of my head. Adam Morrison meanwhile immediately popped into my head without even trying for Gonzaga and at least three more just did while I type this.

Really? I would assume Gonzaga has an easier time in living rooms out there than the Cougs. The next Wazzu great I could name would be the first. I'm sure there's at least one I actually know, but not off the top of my head. Adam Morrison meanwhile immediately popped into my head without even trying for Gonzaga and at least three more just did while I type this.

That’s what I meant. Gonzaga is recruiting top tier kids. Wazzu isn’t

Reactions: CB3UK
Fanbo Zeng, the #33 overall prospect in the 2022 class just committed to Gonzaga. He’s been playing in the states since he was 14, but is back in China because of the pandemic. He’s looking to reclassify to the 2021 class to get a jump in his development.

Great news for Gonzaga. They will have Chet Holmgren starting for them in 2021 while developing Zeng for the next year.

ESPN Article
Stop recruiting foreign athletes to build an international semi-pro team Gonzaga.

Either that or stop being b****es and force yourselves into a major conference.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT