ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga gets best Chinese prospect in a decade

Original_Irish

Apr 27, 2010
Fanbo Zeng, the #33 overall prospect in the 2022 class just committed to Gonzaga. He’s been playing in the states since he was 14, but is back in China because of the pandemic. He’s looking to reclassify to the 2021 class to get a jump in his development.

Great news for Gonzaga. They will have Chet Holmgren starting for them in 2021 while developing Zeng for the next year.

ESPN Article

“Best Chinese Prospect” conjures up images like “Best Vegetarian Burger”. :confused:

giphy-downsized.gif

Last edited:
Nice get for Gonzaga. Best program on the west coast. Really been putting out some solid NBA talent lately.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Nice get for Gonzaga. Best program on the west coast. Really been putting out some solid NBA talent lately.
Crazy to see the growth with this program. Just a small Jesuit school in the middle of nowhere. But every player on scholarship is either a former top 100 recruit or NBA prospect now.

Reactions: GE Nole
Gonzaga isn't just the best program out West---they are one of the best anywhere. Never understood the "hate" this program gets.

Reactions: tarwhiz
Certainly creates the opportunity for a "unique" chant, for opposing students....

"China Virus-----clap, clap, clap...."China Virus".....clap,clap, clap..

Yeah,I know. Corny as shit. I am bored.

Gonzaga isn't just the best program out West---they are one of the best anywhere. Never understood the "hate" this program gets.
I've understood the hate. That 2013 1 seed where they lost in the second round did not help. Even though Wichita St made the final 4 that year.

But they've got the longest streak of consecutive Sweet 16's made in the country now. And had a two point lead in a national championship with 100 seconds left. They have been as consistent as it gets the last few years and are putting players in the NBA.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I've understood the hate. That 2013 1 seed where they lost in the second round did not help. Even though Wichita St made the final 4 that year.

But they've got the longest streak of consecutive Sweet 16's made in the country now. And had a two point lead in a national championship with 100 seconds left. They have been as consistent as it gets the last few years and are putting players in the NBA.

Plenty of 1 seeds have lost in the second round. That shouldn’t be held against the Zags.

Oh I understand where it comes from......Just think its silly. As you said, longest current SW 16 streak(5 straight). Safe bet tht would have reached 6 this past season; And will if this season gets going.

I know they catch shit for their 2nd round losses, with high seeds...But shit---How many fukin times has Kansas done that as well?

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Oh I understand where it comes from......Just think its silly. As you said, longest current SW 16 streak(5 straight). Safe bet tht would have reached 6 this past season; And will if this season gets going.

I know they catch shit for their 2nd round losses, with high seeds...But shit---How many fukin times has Kansas done that as well?

KU also has championships and a bunch of final fours/elite eights/etc, and wins one of the top leagues every year. And they still catch shit.

I think it's obvious why people were skeptical about Gonzaga, at least until recent years. A lot of teams could earn a high seed in that league.

KU also has championships and a bunch of final fours/elite eights/etc, and wins one of the top leagues every year. And they still catch shit.

I think it's obvious why people were skeptical about Gonzaga, at least until recent years. A lot of teams could earn a high seed in that league.
This is fair....Sure its obvious. But you'd have to be a fool to think this team couldn't/wouldn't compete in the ACC, SEC, B12 or B10..

I get the early nonsense....But the past 10 years? Naaah. Its time to put that shit to bed.

Reactions: tarwhiz
This is fair....Sure its obvious. But you'd have to be a fool to think this team couldn't/wouldn't compete in the ACC, SEC, B12 or B10..

I get the early nonsense....But the past 10 years? Naaah. Its time to put that shit to bed.

We can all agree that Gonzaga wouldn’t win the conference every year like they do now if they were in the ACC, Big 10, or Big 12. But they would damn well win it some years and would compete every year.

We can all agree that Gonzaga wouldn’t win the conference every year like they do now if they were in the ACC, Big 10, or Big 12. But they would damn well win it some years and would compete every year.
Oh, 100% agree with this....Not to mention---they would be in play for a Top 4 seed, every year....If not better.

Has anyone else had more success with non-American players than Few? Dude is killing it with the international recruits. So pumped to see the Gonzaga-Kansas game on Thursday. We'll see if this Zags team is the real deal or not.

Reactions: GE Nole
Has anyone else had more success with non-American players than Few? Dude is killing it with the international recruits. So pumped to see the Gonzaga-Kansas game on Thursday. We'll see if this Zags team is the real deal or not.
Basketball week is here!
Love Gonzaga and love Spokane and Western Idaho.
What happened to St Mary's? I also remember San Diego had a couple of nice seasons.
I think Gonzaga could join the MWC for basketball only?

fair or not, imo the hate comes from them playing in a crap conference the last half of the year in which they coast to a 1 seed in the tourney most years.

Even though the teams are really good and deserve the 1 seeds, it’s just the fact it rubs some the wrong way that they get they 1 seed when they only have to beat 2 decent/above average teams in BYU and at Mary’s to run through the conference undefeated.

they schedule non conference like heavyweights tho. I don’t have a problem with them personally, but feel like that’s where the Gonzaga hate stems from.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Basketball week is here!
What happened to St Mary's? I also remember San Diego had a couple of nice seasons.

Forget the MWC. The PAC needs to get off their ass and add Gonzaga. Zags are decent in pretty much every sport they compete in. It would be a great addition.

Basketball week is here!
Mountain West has fallen off lately. The WCC bends over for Gonzaga, they won't leave for them. Everyone complains about their conference, but GU made it so the conference only has 16 conference games so that they can go schedule more games in OOC.

St. Mary's would have made the tourney this year. Probably wont this year. But If BYU and St. Mary's can sustain success, then WCC is a yearly 3 bid league and way better at the top than the Mountain West.

Forget the MWC. The PAC needs to get off their ass and add Gonzaga. Zags are decent in pretty much every sport they compete in. It would be a great addition.

Would the Pac 12 ever take a Jesuit school? I've heard there's about a 0% chance they would take BYU, who might more sense, given their ability to field a quality football team - and compete in just about every sport. I've always thought the Pac 12 didn't have any interest in schools with religious ties, but maybe there's more to it than that? Would be pretty cool to see the Zags join the Pac 12. The conference would be much more intriguing with the Zags in the mix.

Would the Pac 12 ever take a Jesuit school? I've heard there's about a 0% chance they would take BYU, who might more sense, given their ability to field a quality football team - and compete in just about every sport. I've always thought the Pac 12 didn't have any interest in schools with religious ties, but maybe there's more to it than that? Would be pretty cool to see the Zags join the Pac 12. The conference would be much more intriguing with the Zags in the mix.
IDK why you would want to go to the Pac 12 if you were Gonzaga. Their gig in the WCC is pretty awesome right now. 16 game schedule, and an auto bid to the tourney. They have proven that they can get 1 seeds out West already. 9 out of their 16 conference games are going to be on an espn station.

And the WCC is finally committing to basketball. Pepperdine, LMU and USF are on the rise. Santa Clara has thrown money around for years but has never been able to be successful though.

IDK why you would want to go to the Pac 12 if you were Gonzaga. Their gig in the WCC is pretty awesome right now. 16 game schedule, and an auto bid to the tourney. They have proven that they can get 1 seeds out West already. 9 out of their 16 conference games are going to be on an espn station.

And the WCC is finally committing to basketball. Pepperdine, LMU and USF are on the rise. Santa Clara has thrown money around for years but has never been able to be successful though.

This is the attitude of someone who wants to pad the win total and avoid competition. Pretty sad if that's Gonzaga's mentality.

I'd be bored to tears as a Gonzaga fan or player. Who would you be more pumped to play--Arizona or Pepperdine?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yea at some point the fan base has to get fed up with rolling thru such a garbage conference every year. Sometimes BYU and st Mary’s are top 25 but they litererally never have any other true contenders except the time BYU kicked off their best big man for having consensual sex.

This is the attitude of someone who wants to pad the win total and avoid competition. Pretty sad if that's Gonzaga's mentality.

I'd be bored to tears as a Gonzaga fan or player. Who would you be more pumped to play--Arizona or Pepperdine?
Look at who GU schedules in their OOC, especially this year. They don't avoid competition.

And the Pac 12 hasn't come calling so it doesn't really matter. And they play and beat the PAC in OOC games anyway. Last year they beat Oregon, Arizona and Washington. This year they were supposed to play UW, Arizona and USC in OOC.

Would I like to see them play in the PAC? Yes. I'm a huge PAC fan and would love to see GU add some relevance to that conference. Is the in conference play boring? Yes and I think it does hurt them come tournament time. The teams that hurt Gonzaga are the teams that are super athletic and you don't get that in the WCC.

But like I said, the WCC is improving. I think it is safe to say that St. Mary's and BYU will be tournament contenders most years. USF has been a very solid mid-major team and good things are happening at LMU and Pepperdine. Again, not saying that the WCC is a great conference. But it's a mid major conference that was going to get 3 teams in last year.

Gonzaga has made the most out of what has been offered them at this point, and that's all that you can ask for.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Look at who GU schedules in their OOC, especially this year. They don't avoid competition.

And the Pac 12 hasn't come calling so it doesn't really matter. And they play and beat the PAC in OOC games anyway. Last year they beat Oregon, Arizona and Washington. This year they were supposed to play UW, Arizona and USC in OOC.

Would I like to see them play in the PAC? Yes. I'm a huge PAC fan and would love to see GU add some relevance to that conference. Is the in conference play boring? Yes and I think it does hurt them come tournament time. The teams that hurt Gonzaga are the teams that are super athletic and you don't get that in the WCC.

But like I said, the WCC is improving. I think it is safe to say that St. Mary's and BYU will be tournament contenders most years. USF has been a very solid mid-major team and good things are happening at LMU and Pepperdine. Again, not saying that the WCC is a great conference. But it's a mid major conference that was going to get 3 teams in last year.

Gonzaga has made the most out of what has been offered them at this point, and that's all that you can ask for.

I don't disagree with any of that. I just disagreed with the idea that there's no reason for them to want to join the Pac-12 (or another major conference).

And while they do schedule some top teams every year, it's only a few games out of 30+.

They definitely have made the most out of the hand they were dealt.

I can’t think of any other mid major doing anything close to what they have built. Usually it’s just a random final four from a gmu or Loyola or vcu.

Gonzaga has gone from mid major Cinderella to annual force. Its not Like it’s exactly their fault they play in the conference they play in or the other teams haven’t been able to maintain anywhere near the same amount of success.

It’s not like the AD can call a power 5 conference like the pac 12 commish and be like, we don’t have a football team but we wanna join your conference. they’d get laughed out of the room. If u haven’t figured it out, conference realignment doesn’t have ish to do with basketball. Although some instances it doesn’t seem to have ish to do with anything (lookin at you Rutgers)

Their best bet would be the big East if it wasn’t such a logistics nightmare.

BYU is another can of worms. Their “demands” are a non-starter.That has far more to do with it than having a religious affiliation. You don’t know delusion until you meet BYU fans.

Gonzaga would be a much better addition. They don’t mess up the balance in football and have a very good athletic department.

BYU is another can of worms. Their “demands” are a non-starter.That has far more to do with it than having a religious affiliation. You don’t know delusion until you meet BYU fans.

Gonzaga would be a much better addition. They don’t mess up the balance in football and have a very good athletic department.

What other demands are there, other than not playing on Sunday? I understand the Pac-12 schools probably believe the cultural differences with BYU wouldn't be a good fit, but I still can't envision them rushing to invite Gonzaga or Baylor over to the table, either. When there were talks of expanding to 16 teams, the Pac-10 wasn't considering Baylor in the least bit. And that was back when Baylor had RG3 at quarterback - and Baylor had made the Elite Eight in basketball.

What other demands are there, other than not playing on Sunday? I understand the Pac-12 schools probably believe the cultural differences with BYU wouldn't be a good fit, but I still can't envision them rushing to invite Gonzaga or Baylor over to the table, either. When there were talks of expanding to 16 teams, the Pac-10 wasn't considering Baylor in the least bit. And that was back when Baylor had RG3 at quarterback - and Baylor had made the Elite Eight in basketball.

BYU wants control over their own TV network. That was a non-starter for the PAC 12, even with Texas. They certainly aren't going to cave for a second rate team in Utah. You combine that with the scheduling nightmare that they create, it simply isn't worth the trouble.

As for Baylor, a lot of that has to due with how they conduct themselves. There are constant scandals and coverups that come out of Waco, Texas. Far too much baggage for a small private school in Texas. That's why the PAC universities were much more open to taking TCU rather than Baylor.

BYU wants control over their own TV network. That was a non-starter for the PAC 12, even with Texas. They certainly aren't going to cave for a second rate team in Utah. You combine that with the scheduling nightmare that they create, it simply isn't worth the trouble.

As for Baylor, a lot of that has to due with how they conduct themselves. There are constant scandals and coverups that come out of Waco, Texas. Far too much baggage for a small private school in Texas. That's why the PAC universities were much more open to taking TCU rather than Baylor.

I don't really know the details of the contract negotiations - or the talks of how revenue would be shared between the Pac-12 and other potential suitors, but I'm looking at the football games featured on BYU TV from the past two seasons, and I only see two: North Alabama and Idaho State. Not exactly games that will push the revenue needle. Almost impossible to believe games like that would be deal-breakers for joining the conference. Texas has played games against Iowa State and Kansas on the Longhorn Network. Not the biggest games, but obviously more meaningful than playing an FCS opponent. The Pac 10 clearly wanted Texas. And I understand Texas's greed got in the way of a mutual agreement, but I seriously doubt they ever really considered BYU. Baylor has had their fair share of scandals, so perhaps there's merit to that. Idk. You probably have a better feel for the Pac-12 than I would, I've just never sensed they would pursue a school with religious ties. I would certainly be in favor of Gonzaga joining the conference. I think it could be a really solid match. I guess the question remains then, why haven't they extended an offer?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT