ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Williams calls out Coach K

Our conversation earlier has being weighing heavily on me all day, I started it,and I apologize We'll keep our distance and not drag down the board, but I'm sorry for the mean things I said.
giphy.gif

Dude - you feel like it did not happen? Okay. It happened. Greivis loved to play there because the fans were so passionate. It was va tech that were chanting INS at him. But the worst of all time.....U Hall. Charlottesville. Juan Dixon’s parents were crackheads signs. Juan went over to those fans prof to game and corrected them. They were heroin addicts. He signed the abusive signs the punks were holding up about his parents. And later that night as we smoked the Hoos - I saw those same assholes now cheering for Juan. He changed their minds.

Huh? I’m saying that Duke fans didn’t chant anything racist at Vasquez. I’ve never heard that said by anyone who was there, I’ve never seen that written anywhere about it... that sounds completely invented, because I would have heard about it. I kept up on Vasquez pretty closely... he is one of my three or four all time favorite non Duke guys. Plus, again... that’s not the sort of thing that would happen at Duke nowadays.

Not sure if that is what you were talking about, and plenty of people have chanted plenty of terrible stuff. But I don’t think the Crazies ever chanted anything racist at him, and I’ve never seen anything that indicates otherwise. If you say it happens, back it up with something, with anything.

Huh? I’m saying that Duke fans didn’t chant anything racist at Vasquez. I’ve never heard that said by anyone who was there, I’ve never seen that written anywhere about it... that sounds completely invented, because I would have heard about it. I kept up on Vasquez pretty closely... he is one of my three or four all time favorite non Duke guys. Plus, again... that’s not the sort of thing that would happen at Duke nowadays.

Not sure if that is what you were talking about, and plenty of people have chanted plenty of terrible stuff. But I don’t think the Crazies ever chanted anything racist at him, and I’ve never seen anything that indicates otherwise. If you say it happens, back it up with something, with anything.
Wasn't there a link in the OP?

:"When we had Vasquez down there his sophomore year, they had those dirt sheets, they had it in Spanish, yelling at him in the shootaround at 7 o'clock for an 8 o'clock game," he went on. "I said, 'Greivis, what are they saying?' Greivis said, 'You don't want to know.' And then we win the game. He makes a layup right by our bench and then he purposely runs right by the student section, and whatever he said to them, I don't want to know either."

I feel like this didn't happen. Of all places, Duke is one of the least likely to be throwing out racist stuff... the student body is literally 50% non-white. And Vasquez spoke glowingly of his time at Cameron, and said it was his favorite place to play basketball. Can't imagine he would say that if people were being truly vile.
So only white people can be racist? Racist.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Wasn't there a link in the OP?

:"When we had Vasquez down there his sophomore year, they had those dirt sheets, they had it in Spanish, yelling at him in the shootaround at 7 o'clock for an 8 o'clock game," he went on. "I said, 'Greivis, what are they saying?' Greivis said, 'You don't want to know.' And then we win the game. He makes a layup right by our bench and then he purposely runs right by the student section, and whatever he said to them, I don't want to know either."

Okay... so are you guys operating under the assumption that anything that is yelled in Spanish is racist? Because that is most assuredly not the case.

Listen... They yelled at him in his native tongue. No idea what they said. That’s clever and dorky-mean enough for Duke students, and doesn’t seem like the sort of thing a group of students would go to the lengths to do if they were actually being racist... if they were actual racists, they’d likely yell stuff like “Go back to Mexico,” and probably in English.

Seems especially unlikely in a student section like the Crazies are now, with the organized sanitization that is the cheer sheets, and the widespread PC and global culture that permeates the very foundation of the school, and especially the undergraduate population, at this point.

So... yeah. I remember every game we played against GV at Cameron... as much crap as I give Maryland fans, they do have a certain spot in my heart. After every single game I read dozens of recaps and articles, including a number about GV, and about his particular relationship with Cameron, which is one of the coolest non-Duke guys relationships with the arena, and the fans. While there was a lot of animosity, especially in those first few years, by his senior year you could tell he loved playing at Duke, and we loved having him play there. And I have no recollection of anything ever being said by anyone about the Crazies shouting anything racist at GV.

Definitely couldn’t do the Sam Perkins arms these days. That might be looked on in a different light:)

Last edited:
Reactions: The Reindeer Terp
I agree the article doesn't say anything about them chanting anything racist. Just something inappropriate. I think his point was that K has heard them chant things before much worse than what happened in the Pitt game and ignored it. I don't think anyone really disputes that though. K just had a moment. Lost his **** for no reason. It happens. Maybe he will do it tomorrow. That will probably be the only drama in that game.

Here’s the paper from Vasquez’ hometown the next day;

Headline translates to

VASQUEZ TAUNTED WITH RACIAL SLURS BY WHITE BREAD CRACKER STUDENT SECTION!

El-Universal.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT