ADVERTISEMENT

Freshmen stars leaving for the NBA or G

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
Is there a site that shows the probability for kids leaving early? When do you know what they are going to do? How do you plan for that? TIA

The “when” is probably dependent upon when this season ends and the nba draft date, and when next season starts. In a normal year it would be sometime in May or so. But who knows this year.

Keep in mind that kids can declare, participate in the process, get feedback, and then still come back to school. So you don’t really and truly know until we’ll into the offseason.

I’d imagine y’all lose at least 1, probably 2.

Reactions: della
The “when” is probably dependent upon when this season ends and the nba draft date, and when next season starts. In a normal year it would be sometime in May or so. But who knows this year.

Keep in mind that kids can declare, participate in the process, get feedback, and then still come back to school. So you don’t really and truly know until we’ll into the offseason.

I’d imagine y’all lose at least 1, probably 2.
Maybe, I should have asked for future draft status?

That is a Kentucky site 😱
cosas-que-no-entender%C3%A1n-las-que-no-asistieron-a-una-escuela-cat%C3%B3lica-4.gif

I left quickly and have said 3 GBO's.

Most of the one and dones should stay, I know ours should ,G Brown is no where near ready but he will leave.

Most of the one and dones should stay, I know ours should ,G Brown is no where near ready but he will leave.

What kind of fish is in you avatar? Makes me think they are Flounder, but it looks like a great catch and a lot of fun.

Guys who will likely leave:
Cade Cunningham (100%)
Jalen Johnson (100%)
Jalen Suggs (100%)
Scottie Barnes (100%)
Evan Mobley (100%)
Keon Johnson
Jaden Springer
Shariffe Cooper
Josh Christopher
Zaire Williams

Solid chance they leave:
Greg Brown
Moses Moody
BJ Boston
Terance Clarke

(Not meant to be exhaustive, by the way. Just off the top of my head).

What do you mean? The status of kids who are still in high school?

Information on a Freshman's likelihood of going to the NBA instead of staying for his sophomore season.
I want to know the likelihood of us losing some of these Freshmen.

Guys who will likely leave:
Cade Cunningham (100%)
Jalen Johnson (100%)
Jalen Suggs (100%)
Scottie Barnes (100%)
Evan Mobley (100%)
Keon Johnson
Jaden Springer
Shariffe Cooper
Josh Christopher
Zaire Williams

Solid chance they leave:
Greg Brown
Moses Moody
BJ Boston
Terance Clarke

(Not meant to be exhaustive, by the way. Just off the top of my head).
Johnson and Springer! 😵

Information on a Freshman's likelihood of going to the NBA instead of staying for his sophomore season.
I want to know the likelihood of us losing some of these Freshmen.

Gotcha. That’s what I said in the original response. You’ll almost surely lose one of them and probably two.

Even if that was true, why not get paid $5 million while getting that seasoning?
Couldn't they get more as a rd 1 pick a year later?

Last edited:
They did their job. Come to Tennessee, get a great experience for a great coach, win games, go to the league, and make the Vols look great on draft night!
I suppose that is the price you pay for highly rated freshmen, but I don't give two toots for the league or draft night. Thanks for giving me this information, though.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
I suppose that is the price you pay for highly rated freshmen, but I don't give two toots for the league or draft night. Thanks for giving me this information, though.

Tis the price indeed.

But having them be lotto picks is MUCH better for Tennessee getting more highly ranked recruits than having them be second rounders after a lackluster soph season.

Reactions: della and cdbearde

Just think, on draft night Barnes may say tonight is the best night in UT basketball history. Wouldn't that be awesome della?
:cool:😂😂

Reactions: sgrooms
Just think, on draft night Barnes may say tonight is the best night in UT basketball history. Wouldn't that be awesome della?
:cool:😂😂
Truth be told, I wish cbb and cfb were still run like the Ivy league.

Are you going to be pulling for the Vols at the dance? Since y’all’s bandwagon has four broken wheels, You can join the BIg Orange Express.

Truth be told, I wish cbb and cfb were still run like the Ivy league.

Are you going to be pulling for the Vols at the dance? Since y’all’s bandwagon has four broken wheels, You can join the BIg Orange Express.

Sweetheart I have already told you where my old butt stands on that, I am SEC, now I will add that I am a Kentucky grown person, so I will pull for you unless they face a Kentucky team, now if it is Louisville, i would have to really do some soul searching, after all they are KENTUCKY. :cool:

They need another year of seasoning.

First round picks don't stick around anymore. Keon Johnson will be a lottery pick. Springer maybe late 1st Round. It stinks losing talent like that after one season, but that's the reality of the sport. Sometimes these kids will stick around for a second year if there's not a guaranteed first round option. That's about the only chance of Springer coming back, IMO.

First round picks don't stick around anymore. Keon Johnson will be a lottery pick. Springer maybe late 1st Round. It stinks losing talent like that after one season, but that's the reality of the sport. Sometimes these kids will stick around for a second year if there's not a guaranteed first round option. That's about the only chance of Springer coming back, IMO.
You seem pretty astute on this and I appreciate you weighing in on it. You're right, it stinks losing one or both, but it is what it is.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Yep, all bullshit aside, UTs freshmen were simply better than ours the other night. None of them went to Knoxville expecting to leave after this season, unless someone can show me Barnes telling them something different.

Sardonically or not, KBs point above about all of the ones coming here who shouldn't be OAD isn't far off the truth.

Go and get the best guys you can. Lay out what you're about and what your plan is for their development. There should be no timetable!!!! Some guys develop super quick. Some guys take longer. Some guys are just ready to be pros out of the gate. Calipari is selling these guys on getting them there in a year whether they are individually capable of it or not.

Some guys listen at the end of the year return, and develop, like IQ and PJ. Some guys leave after 2byrs because they just don't want to be in college even if they aren't ready for the pros, like Briscoe and Hagans.

I could go on but its clear I'm sick and tired of this clown show circus both at Kentucky and within college basketball. The product is absolute shit right now.

Yep, all bullshit aside, UTs freshmen were simply better than ours the other night. None of them went to Knoxville expecting to leave after this season, unless someone can show me Barnes telling them something different.

Sardonically or not, KBs point above about all of the ones coming here who shouldn't be OAD isn't far off the truth.

Go and get the best guys you can. Lay out what you're about and what your plan is for their development. There should be no timetable!!!! Some guys develop super quick. Some guys take longer. Some guys are just ready to be pros out of the gate. Calipari is selling these guys on getting them there in a year whether they are individually capable of it or not.

Some guys listen at the end of the year return, and develop, like IQ and PJ. Some guys leave after 2byrs because they just don't want to be in college even if they aren't ready for the pros, like Briscoe and Hagans.

I could go on but its clear I'm sick and tired of this clown show circus both at Kentucky and within college basketball. The product is absolute shit right now.

I’d say Keon Johnson absolutely expected to be one and done this season. And Springer probably had that thought coming in too.

I’d say Keon Johnson absolutely expected to be one and done this season. And Springer probably had that thought coming in too.
Well we can bandy about with semantics about what they thought all day. The actual point is what they're being sold on.

Well we can bandy about with semantics about what they thought all day. The actual point is what they're being sold on.
I don't know what or how Cal is selling recruits, but Barnes sells he will improve your game and make you a better player.

I think like 75% of 5 stars expect to be one and done. And a few four stars as well.

That’s what I said about Patrick Williams last year. Now the Bulls are gushing over him and his play.

I said the same about Donovan Mitchell and he was better his nba rookie season than his last college season.

Granted I’ve also said it about guys whose career went absolutely no where. Some guys just don’t have it though, regardless. Like dude mentioned with briscoe or Montgomery or even EJ Montgomery earlier. I’m not sure briscoe would have even been a draft pickhad he stayed at UK four years or hell even took the extra 5thcovid year. Same for Hagans. Same for deng adel from UL. They could become better players, sure, but not sure it would move the needle on their draft stock. Unless they became knock down shooters (which none have shown to be) or added something completely different to their games as opposed to improving what they are already capable of. Which they can do in the g league or isreal or wherever they are at and get paid while doing so since they will never be a top pick anyways.

PJ did it, but even IQ despite improving dramatically and being sec POY was drafted late first round. He is killing it with the knicks so far though.

The nba is fascinated with the younger players, it seems like the less game tape they have on you the better. Kind of makes me wonder about Clarke’s lingering sprained ankle. He might not want anymore tape on him.

Last edited:
I said the same about Donovan Mitchell and he was better his nba rookie season than his last college season.

Granted I’ve also said it about guys whose career went absolutely no where. Some guys just don’t have it though, regardless. Like dude mentioned with briscoe or Montgomery or even EJ Montgomery earlier. I’m not sure briscoe would have even been a draft pickhad he stayed at UK four years or hell even took the extra 5thcovid year. Same for Hagans. Same for deng adel from UL. They could become better players, sure, but not sure it would move the needle on their draft stock. Unless they became knock down shooters (which none have shown to be) or added something completely different to their games as opposed to improving what they are already capable of. Which they can do in the g league or isreal or wherever they are at and get paid while doing so since they will never be a top pick anyways.

PJ did it, but even IQ despite improving dramatically and being sec POY was drafted late first round. He is killing it with the knicks so far though.

The nba is fascinated with the younger players, it seems like the less game tape they have on you the better. Kind of makes me wonder about Clarke’s lingering sprained ankle. He might not want anymore tape on him.

100% what you said last is true. The NBA would prefer to take a 20 year old with upside and limited tape than a 23 year old with lots of tape. The lottery is about swinging for home runs, not hitting singles into the gap.

That doesn’t mean a 23 year old can’t come in and be successful. Look at VanVleet, Dray, Brogdon, etc. But it does mean a guy’s draft stock might be higher after his freshman year than his junior or senior year.

Reactions: Villian07
ADVERTISEMENT