ADVERTISEMENT

Florida in Charleston Classic

rdgtr

Feb 5, 2003
After a rough beginning to their season, Florida is beginning to figure some things out.

The Gators had a nice win over the Miami Hurricanes: 78-58.
Just like this football season, Florida (4-2) picked up their first significant victory of this basketball season against the same school.

As Miami made a mini-comeback, the game was tied 45-45 near the beginning of the 2nd half before the Gators went on a huge run (28-6) to close out the game. Kerry Blackshear had his 4th double-double of this season for UF scoring 20 pts, 11 rebounds & 5 assists. Scottie Lewis made some impressive, defensive plays & dunks (13 pts, 8 reb, 3 blcks, 2 stls).

Florida goes to the Finals to take on the winner of Xavier vs UConn.

Earlier, Florida lost a close, road game in Stors to the Huskies. So, there is a possibility for a rematch in the Finals of the Charleston Classic! Florida's Tre Mann did not play in these last couple of games either because of a concussion suffered in the UConn game. Mann could be available for UF in the next game.

Miami had a losing season last year and after seeing them play UL and UF... I doubt they win more than 18 games this year.... just not a good team. But UF shot the ball better today so maybe they are turning the corner a little.

Miami had a losing season last year and after seeing them play UL and UF... I doubt they win more than 18 games this year.... just not a good team. But UF shot the ball better today so maybe they are turning the corner a little.

Yeah, Miami is an NIT team at best. Probably won’t finish top 9 in the ACC.

The 20-pt loss was the worst suffered by Miami against Florida since 1988, 101-81. Previously, Miami was 8-0 in the Charleston Classic before their loss to the Gators! https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401182569

That 1988 Florida team had a terrific front-court: the late Dwayne Schintzius at C, SF Livingston Chatman and PF Dwayne Davis who led the nation in FG% that year. Vernon Maxwell (aka "Mad Max" of the Houston Rockets) was also their point guard! Schintzius established the SEC record for blocks in a season before Shaquille O'Neill and others who came later broke the record.

Florida hasnt looked red hot early but they've got talent. I expect them to improve significantly by SEC play. Figure theyd be challenging for conference this year

Yeah, Miami is an NIT team at best. Probably won’t finish top 9 in the ACC.

Defensively, Miami seemed a little easier to face than either FSU or UConn. Florida's offense finally got off to a better start and finish than in some of their earlier games.

Defensively, Miami seemed a little easier to face than either FSU or UConn. Florida's offense finally got off to a better start and finish than in some of their earlier games.

Lykes is a real liability and Vasiljevic ain’t great on D either. Most of the rest of their team is new to Miami or new to college basketball. Louisville was up on the Canes 72-40 with 10 min to go in the game.

UF has too much talent not to improve, but I wouldn’t use the Miami game as a real measuring stick.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Lykes is a real liability and Vasiljevic ain’t great on D either. Most of the rest of their team is new to Miami or new to college basketball. Louisville was up on the Canes 72-40 with 10 min to go in the game.

UF has too much talent not to improve, but I wouldn’t use the Miami game as a real measuring stick.

Not at all.

It will be the next game, vs Xavier/UConn, and many other games like them that should give a better indication before the SEC season begins.

Florida is a relatively inexperienced team that's still finding their way.

ADVERTISEMENT