ADVERTISEMENT

EvilMonkey's NCAA Tournament Bracket of Doom

EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

Feb 25, 2008
Your closet, most likely......
Finally after a few minor delays, it's time to unveil the brackets, starting with the Top 4 seeds from each region, but before I do that, I wanna explain the way this will work.

To avoid the messiness of 36 game threads bunched into a few days (and so on after that), I'm gonna stagger them, by region, with voting for each game being open until midnight of the following day. That should allow for some discussion to be had and for anyone interested to cast their vote in time. So the game threads will look like this:

First Four games (Tues-Wed, Mar. 24-25)
South Region (Thurs-Fri, Mar. 26-27)
East Region (Sat-Sun, Mar. 28-29)
Midwest Region (Mon-Tues, Mar. 30-31)
West Region (Wed-Thu, Apr. 1-2)

South Region 2nd Rd (Fri-Sat, Apr. 2-3)
East Region 2nd Rd (Fri-Sat, Apr. 2-3)
Midwest Region 2nd Rd (Sun-Mon, Apr. 4-5)
West Region 2nd Rd (Sun-Mon, Apr. 4-5)

South Region Sweet 16 (Thu-Fri, Apr. 8-9)
East Region Sweet 16 (Thu-Fri, Apr. 8-9)
Midwest Region Sweet 16 (Sat-Sun, Apr. 10-11)
West Region Sweet 16 (Sat-Sun, Apr. 10-11)

South Region Elite 8 (Wed-Thu, Apr. 14-15)
East Region Elite 8 (Wed-Thu, Apr. 14-15)
Midwest Region Elite 8 (Thu-Fri, Apr. 15-16)
West Region Elite 8 (Thu-Fri, Apr. 15-16)

Final Four (Sat, April 17)

National Championship (Mon, April 19)
----------------------------------------------------------------

And now, here are the Top 4 seeds for each region:

South (Houston)-
1. Kansas Jayhawks
2. Kentucky Wildcats
3. Louisville Cardinals
4. Wisconsin Badgers

West (Los Angeles)-
1. Gonzaga Bulldogs
2. San Diego State Aztecs
3. Oregon Ducks
4. Duke Blue Devils

Midwest (Indianapolis)-
1. Dayton Flyers
2. Creighton Blue Jays
3. Michigan State Spartans
4. Virginia Cavaliers

East (New York City)-
1. Baylor Bears
2. Florida State Seminoles
3. Villanova Wildcats
4. Maryland Terrapins

The Regional pairings for the Final Four are as follows:

South Champion
vs
East Champion

West Champion
vs
Midwest Champion

Full pairings are soon to follow, starting with the South Region.

Last edited:
Reactions: GE Nole
And now without further ado, it's time for the South Regional unveiling, with games to be voted on Thursday through Friday, March 26-27.

SOUTH-
(St. Louis)
1 Kansas
16 North Carolina Central

8 Utah State
9 St. Mary's

(Spokane)
5 Auburn
12 Stephen F. Austin

4 Wisconsin
13 Vermont

(Spokane)
6 Michigan
11 East Tennessee State

3 Louisville
14 UC Irvine

(Tampa)
7 Illinois
10 Arizona State

2 Kentucky
15 North Dakota State

Last edited:
Next up will be the representatives out of the East Regional, with games to be voted on Saturday and Sunday, March 28-29:

EAST-
(St. Louis)
1 Baylor
16 Siena

8 Marquette
9 Rutgers

(Albany)
5 Seton Hall
12 Texas

4 Maryland
13 Belmont

(Albany)
6 Houston
11 Indiana

3 Villanova
14 North Texas

(Tampa)
7 Cincinnati
10 Florida

2 Florida State
15 Winthrop

Last edited:
Moving over to the opposite side of the bracket for the Midwest Regional, these are games to be voted on Monday through Tuesday, March 30-31:

MIDWEST-
(Cleveland)
1 Dayton
16 Northern Kentucky

8 West Virginia
9 Providence

(Greensboro)
5 Ohio State
12 Liberty

4 Virginia
13 New Mexico State

(Omaha)
6 Butler
11 UCLA

3 Michigan State
14 Hofstra

(Cleveland)
7 LSU
10 Arizona

2 Creighton
15 Arkansas-Little Rock

Last edited:
And last, but not least, it's time to reveal the West Regional and which teams made the cut, and which teams' bubbles have burst. These last set of First Round games will be voted on Wednesday through Thursday, April 1-2:

WEST-
(Sacramento)
1 Gonzaga
16 Robert Morris

8 Colorado
9 Texas Tech

(Greensboro)
5 BYU
12 Akron

4 Duke
13 Yale

(Omaha)
6 Iowa
11 Oklahoma

3 Oregon
14 Bradley

(Sacramento)
7 Penn State
10 USC

2 San Diego State
15 Eastern Washington

And thus completes EvilMonkey's 2020 Bracket of Doom........
And hopefully, it's the last one ever...;)

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Just a guess here but Kentucky ends up winning the title in this online poll.

No doubt that it ends up getting linked on RR.

Also, pretty cool OP. Thanks for the effort.
giphy.gif

We own college basketball polls like we own college basketball.

https://forums.rivals.com/threads/50-greatest-programs-of-all-time.923203/

Last reveal for the evening before I get the First Four game threads underway. Here is how the Bubble ended up, with the teams that just made it vs the teams that got left out. Is there anyone in here that you guys think I should've added instead?

Last 4 In-
Richmond
UCLA
NC State
Texas

First 4 Out-
Tulsa
Wichita State
Stanford
Xavier

Next 4 Out-
Rhode Island
Arkansas
Northern Iowa
Memphis

Just gotta say, less than 8% of the bracketologists have Duke as a 4 seed. There's not a single computer model that has us outside of the the top 10.

Yea doubt Louisville would have a 3 seed either, more than likely we were gonna be a 4/5 unless we made serious noise in the accT.

Oh and as mentioned it wasting ur time, if voting is involved UK fans would vote UK over the Lakers.

Yea uk has crazy fans with so little to do they will sign up to this site in groves just to vote in a poll created by another poster that means absolutely nothing. So UK wins the hypothetical poll and the board gains a few hundred mouth breathers. Just spare us all and declare UK the “voters champs”

Yea uk has crazy fans with so little to do they will sign up to this site in groves just to vote in a poll created by another poster that means absolutely nothing. So UK wins the hypothetical poll and the board gains a few hundred mouth breathers. Just spare us all and declare UK the “voters champs”
I guess we'll see how strong the UK hate is when I post their poll against North Dakota State........SmokinSmile

Are you at least satisfied with your draw?

I'd have mixed feelings about it. Gonzaga is good, but I'm not completely convinced they were a top 5 team this year. San Diego State lost fumes down the stretch. So, I guess you could argue that the region isn't necessarily top-heavy. Wouldn't be crazy about being the 4 seed in the West, though.

Duke could easily lose in the 1st or 2nd round of this region, however. Yale won at Clemson. Narrow losses at Penn State and UNC, which makes me think they might have had an edge on a neutral court. That's a very tough first round matchup. Potentially BYU in the second round. They have a very potent offense. I believe they led the nation in 3-pt fg%. Feel like we could beat these schools maybe 6 or 7 times out of 10. And then 50-50 games against Gonzaga and Oregon-San Diego State. I'd feel a lot better about being in the West if we were a 3 seed.

Are you going to delete those threads? I thought your OP implied that you weren't going to do a different thread for each game. JMO, but you should go chalk to the S16 and start from there. I don't think anybody cares about play in games in a hypothetical if all it's gonna do is clutter up the board.

Still appreciate you doing this, just saying though...

Are you going to delete those threads? I thought your OP implied that you weren't going to do a different thread for each game. JMO, but you should go chalk to the S16 and start from there. I don't think anybody cares about play in games in a hypothetical if all it's gonna do is clutter up the board.

If he goes chalk he can’t vote Iowa to the national championship game

I'm on board with this. Seems unnecessary since a majority vote would cancel out any of the dissenting views. Whenever you see a national bracket based on the aggregate picks, it's extremely chalky. Certainly with a lower sample size, you could see a few more upsets. But I don't think too many would object if we went straight to the Sweet 16.

I'm on board with this. Seems unnecessary since a majority vote would cancel out any of the dissenting views. Whenever you see a national bracket based on the aggregate picks, it's extremely chalky. Certainly with a lower sample size, you could see a few more upsets. But I don't think too many would object if we went straight to the Sweet 16.
I'll see how it goes. The point is to generate discussion about these hypothetical matchups and give us something to do in these boring times. I'm posting this on other boards as well, so it's a total vote. This basketball board doesn't get enough traffic to do such a full-blown tournament, I agree on that.

P.S. that's why I'd hesitate to declare Kentucky the outright winners just yet. They have their enemies too, and they're not exactly outnumbered...........SmokinSmile

Reactions: dukedevilz
Fwiw, I'm also taking this idea off of another poster from the football board (too lazy to go see who it was to give them credit). He did a bunch of tournament threads on best avatar and worst avatar, etc and they seemed to have some success as far as generating interest.

The final results for the First Four are in.

NC Central 11 (advances to face Kansas)
Boston 10

Robert Morris 17 (advances to face Gonzaga)
Prairie View A&M 6

Texas 15 (advances to face Seton Hall)
NC State 12

UCLA 13 (advances to face Butler)
Richmond 8

South Regional First Round matchups will be posted soon!

SOUTH-
(St. Louis)
1 Kansas
16 North Carolina Central

8 Utah State
9 St. Mary's

(Spokane)
5 Auburn
12 Stephen F. Austin

4 Wisconsin
13 Vermont

(Spokane)