ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN ranked all National champions

Seems almost pointless to compare teams today to teams from the 40's and 50's. Maybe the San Francisco teams with Bill Russell and KC Jones could compete, but everyone else would get torched by any national champion from the modern era.

Reactions: englandnu
Very biased and no idea what these rankings say, but 96 Kentucky is the best team of all time. They still have the point differential record in the tournament I believe and had 9 future pros on the roster. Both losses were to to teams that made the final 4 (they beat UMass in the final 4 and smashed MSU on the road in the regular season).

Seems almost pointless to compare teams today to teams from the 40's and 50's. Maybe the San Francisco teams with Bill Russell and KC Jones could compete, but everyone else would get torched by any national champion from the modern era.
I think it's always best to compare teams/players from different eras based on how much they dominated the era the played in.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Very biased and no idea what these rankings say, but 96 Kentucky is the best team of all time. They still have the point differential record in the tournament I believe and had 9 future pros on the roster. Both losses were to to teams that made the final 4 (they beat UMass in the final 4 and smashed MSU on the road in the regular season).
Don't care how many pros you had, Bill Walton still goes for 50 on perfect shooting vs whoever you throw out there.

Don't care how many pros you had, Bill Walton still goes for 50 on perfect shooting vs whoever you throw out there.

Basically every team say, pre 1980, isn't contenders for a goat team in my books. The sport has changed so much. Hell even from the 90's it has (and largely not in a good way).

UK won 6 games by an average of 21ppg in 1996. Only games less than 20 were the FF and Natty games; 7 and 9.

UConn won 6 games by an average of 20ppg...

UNC won by 20.1 in 2009---No game under 12 points.

Note: IU won the 1981 title by 22.6 ppg....BUT, only played 5 games.

ADVERTISEMENT