ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's and Kentucky's football teams are doing great

That story is true. I did not explain all the reasons and I don't know a damned soul alive today that know the exact reasons.
No..its not true. Let me clarify...no one has ever questioned that UK neglected the football team in favor of the basketball team..I'm not arguing that. That is true. What I'm saying is the lighter/Cadillac story is absolutely false. Because it is. Bear Bryant used to tell that story as a joke bc of the way UK favored basketball over football...not because it actually happened. There is absolutely no record or evidence of any Cadillac ever been given to Adolf rupp until years AFTER Bryant was gone ...none. Dont you think the herald leader would have covered that? where is it?...dont you think that would have been a major collectors item?
Heres a direct quote from journalists on the matter:
The AP reporter wrote about the lighter and the Cadillac in 1950, but Scott found an immediate rebuttal from Ed Ashford, the sports editor of The Lexington Herald.

"Bryant's remarks at the Oklahoma City Luncheon were in a light vein. They were made in a kidding, off-the-record manner and he didn't think anyone would take him seriously," Ashford wrote in 1950. "He has made the same, or similar remarks before - even in Lexington - without causing consternation."

"To me, the most direct thing was the fact that Ed Ashford actually said it was a joke," Scott said. "That's probably the most direct evidence that we have."

And that's coming from Jon Scott, who you may be familiar with...he runs the UK statistics and history page and frequents rafters...he has a record of more history on UK probably than anyone, including the university.

It goes on:
"Rupp did receive a Cadillac with whitewall tires, but that came in 1955. Bryant had left Kentucky for Texas A&M after the 1953 season, years before that. And the Cadillac was in commemoration of his 25 years at the school instead of a conference championship.

Scott has found photographs of Rupp receiving another car as a gift, but it came from the Chamber of Commerce, and that was in 1946. Bryant had only been hired at Kentucky earlier that year. In the video of Bryant telling the storyon Rupp's coaching show, he holds a common plastic lighter in his hand. The story of a lighter and a Cadillac in 1950 just doesn't fit. There was no other season in which Kentucky won the conference in both sports.

Scott published his research partially in hopes that some definitive evidence could prove the story true or false. Scott's studies show no reason to think the story truly happened as Bryant told it.

"I put some of this stuff out there in the hopes that people would correct me or add more information," Scott said.

No one yet has stepped forward to dispute his conclusion. There's no evidence to support Bryant's story."

So sorry. Yes, UK without a doubt neglected football and theres several reasons he left..but the story is false. Besides, anyone who thinks bear bryant would have stayed his whole career at UK is delusional. He was going to bama as soon as the opportunity presented itself...at best we could have had him for 3 more years. He when asked why he left a&M said "Momma called. And when Momma calls, you just have to come runnin"

And yes...it is true, he was also very frustrated with the university bc they decided to limit the number of out of state players he could have. Former players said as much. Do yourself a favor and look at the 1950 roster..look at how many of the players are from, you guessed it Ohio and PA. Bob Gain, Walt Yowarski, Al bruno, etc...you know the guys that played in the NFL off that team.

I'm unsure why UK fans get so tore up about demanding this story is law, so tore up you even pm'd me over it...we know the school shit on the football program forever...we dont have to believe an urban legend when it wouldnt even take that for Bryant to leave bc of UKs overall neglect.

So no...the story isnt true

I see you don’t read much. Your question was answered yesterday. Are you going to go all honor/integrity on me again because I need a good laugh.

honestly you have not shown enough honor and integrity concerning the decade of cheating from unc to continue a conversation with you on the subject

His haterade and lack of objectivity are astounding. Makes for good comedy though.

this is rich coming from a ul fan
you all have whined and cried more about unc cheating and beating the system then all other fanbases combined

this is rich coming from a ul fan
you all have whined and cried more about unc cheating and beating the system then all other fanbases combined
You cry every chance you get when it’s a subject regarding UofL or UNC.

pointing out the truth is far different then crying

you cried many times over ul getting punished and unc beating the system
do not be a hypocrite
as a matter of fact both ul boards still cry about it
both schools should have been punished
ul was the Cleveland State

if you posted the question "should unc have been punished" on every board that is not a unc board i am willing to bet the huge majority of them would say YES
can you really argue that?

Rent free, he can’t help it but what do you expect. Dude talks out of both sides of his mouth and he doesn’t realize it. If UK fans or others bring it up all we have to do is hit them with facts and that should be the end of it. They fail to realize the same NCAA that cleared Cal cleared us.

Reactions: UL_1986

do not be a hypocrite

if you posted the question "should unc have been punished" on every board that is not a unc board i am willing to bet the huge majority of them would say YES

We don’t care what others think. Call/Email the NCAA with your concerns and let us know they say. For someone who doesn’t care you sure have a lot to say.Laughing

Reactions: UL_1986

do not be a hypocrite

See, this post is crying for attention. I hardly ever add my two cents in anything concerning UK. The only threads concerning UL on this board are chocked full of posts from the likes of guys like you, JC, Jeff, and that old sports kook who love nothing but to bash all things Louisville.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Btw I never once cried about UNC getting off without punishment, you can ask any of the UNC guys on this board. That’s a flat out lie, and you know it is.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Btw I never once cried about UNC getting off without punishment, you can ask any of the UNC guys on this board. That’s a flat out lie, and you know it is.

plenty of your ul brothers still cry over it
go do a search on your posts on your home board

See, this post is crying for attention. I hardly ever add my two cents in anything concerning UK. The only threads concerning UL on this board are chocked full of posts from the likes of guys like you, JC, Jeff, and that old sports kook who love nothing but to bash all things Louisville.
Hey, I was staying out of this.
I definitely went after uncfaninky because he likes to jump in the middle of a normal conversation with garbage takes on UK, then cries when UK fans respond with the UNC cheating scandal.
You UL fans do the same thing. You guys get bored and start laying bait all over the board.
But @mebeblue2 is right, you UL fans (maybe not specifically you) were trashing UNC and the NCAA when the sanctions came down on UL. Now you're singing a different tune.
Why can't you just enjoy your win at home last night over FSU without worrying about the thoughts of UK fans? It was a solid won for UL and should get them back on track. Congrats.

I definitely went after uncfaninky because he likes to jump in the middle of a normal conversation with garbage takes on UK, then cries when UK fans respond with the UNC cheating scandal.
You UL fans do the same thing. You guys get bored and start laying bait all over the board.
But @mebeblue2 is right, you UL fans (maybe not specifically you) were trashing UNC and the NCAA when the sanctions came down on UL. Now you're singing a different tune.
Why can't you just enjoy your win at home last night over FSU without worrying about the thoughts of UK fans? It was a solid won for UL and should get them back on track. Congrats.
I wasn’t trashing anyone, so all of this is a moot point.

Actually you’re wrong AGAIN. My 1st post in this FOOTBALL thread was about UNC being in the top 10 in FOOTBALL a few short years ago.
A Virginia fan chimed in about the AFAM crap. Then the resident UK shit starter started in.
Sorry but I was on topic till the same ol poster got it off topic.

Last edited:
Actually you’re wrong AGAIN. My 1st post in this FOOTBALL thread was about UNC being in the top 10 in FOOTBALL a few short years ago.
A Virginia fan chimed in about the AFAM crap. Then the resident UK shit starter started in.
Sorry but I was on topic till the same ol poster got it off topic.
I wasn't talking about this thread, I was referring about our back and forth in another thread. Not sure which one it was in.

I wasn't talking about this thread, I was referring about our back and forth in another thread. Not sure which one it was in.
So you called me in this thread about our conversation in another thread? A thread in which to don’t know?
Makes sense

To be clear....it was HRT that was whining about Michigan State not getting into trouble with the NCAA... at least on this board. I didn't see anything like that coming from '86.

Can’t wait to lick @schoonerwest’s tears when Kentucky rolls into Sugar Bowl

ADVERTISEMENT