ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs. Kentucky

I'm sure it will be a close game. I think we will be able to shoot it a little better but Duke should have the inside advantage.
I agree. Mark, Paolo and if Griffen plays are big and have quality.

Odd to see a matchup of a bubble team that opted out of the NCAAT and a team that missed it outright so hyped, but here we are. What is everybody expecting for this game?

I really just started this thread to ask those who fanatically pay attention to the small details (read: Kentucky fans) when do we usually know the tip times for these Champions Classic games?

“My second school would’ve been Duke,” Karl-Anthony Towns said. “I would’ve went there with Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones. My third was Michigan State. I loved Tom Izzo.”

Ugh just had an unpleasant memory of fox and fultz both saying louisville woulda been their second choice. To go along with sophmore mitchell, geeze talk about a loaded backcourt. Although fultz has obv went threw something ive rarely seen before, the ole rick ankiel. Or whatever u wanna call it.

If Kentucky fans had to guess a stat line, what’s the ballpark expectation for Brooks?

Obv not a uk fan but its gotta be tough to predict with toppin, collins, and hopkins all looking for mins. I guess toppin/hopkins could play the 3 some and collins the 5. Hard to see where all the mins come from, from the outside looking in.

He is a super talented upperclassman and this is an older UK squad than usual so he prob has the edge to start out starting alongside OT. Even still with so many new pieces and depth its hard for me to predict anyones stat lines, i think they cpuld have a diff top scorer every other game. I expect OT to eat based on put backs and lobs. Not sure if they will run much offense through brooks or notz

So i have no clue im just bored at work lol

If Kentucky fans had to guess a stat line, what’s the ballpark expectation for Brooks?
I would say 12 and 5. As Villain said, a lot of it has to do with how many guys we will be playing. I expect Brooks to start and get a big chunk of minutes regardless of where we are in the season. Seems pretty reasonable if het gets 26 - 28 minutes a night.

No idea but if Brooks guards Banchero all night UK will get blown out. I bet he ends up losing his starting job sooner than later.

Reactions: WojoRising
Brooks will likely start at the 4 and be the primary defender on Paolo. I expect that to go poorly and then Collins will be brought in. His wingspan might give Banchero more issues.

Starters for Duke:

G Jeremy Roach
G Trevor Keels
F Wendell Moore
F Paolo Banchero
C Mark Williams

Starters for UK:

G TyTy Washington
G Davion Mintz
G Kellan Grady
F Keion Brooks
C Oscar Tshiebwe

AJ Griffin is back in practice but I expect him to come off the bench to start the season.

Reactions: Afamu
No idea but if Brooks guards Banchero all night UK will get blown out. I bet he ends up losing his starting job sooner than later.
That wouldnt suprise me either, just bc i thought toppin was UKs second best player last year, outside of jackson. Might just love those sweet curly locks though, best hairdo in college???

I wouldnt know poalo if i saw him, granted i wouldnt know half of louisvilles frosh if i saw them either so im not informed enough to comment on the frosh for anyone.

Toppin has been injured, haven't heard how he's coming around. I don't believe its too serious.
Brooks is a better defender than being given credit for in this thread. Collins will split time with Brooks. Collins is really talented. Hopkins has looked really good offensively, but not so much defensively. If the latter doesn't improve quickly, he won't be seeing much playing time early on. He's been working his tail off so who knows on the 9th.

Oscar has to stay out of foul trouble. He's a rebounding machine and runs the floor very well. Offensively, we're pretty damn good. I have no clue about defensively. It hasn't shown itself yet.

Reactions: Villian07
Was not aware toppin was battling injuries, nice update.

I dont think people are underselling brooks defensively as much as they are intrigued by the matchup against the highly touted frosh paolo early on. I dont think anyone thinks brooks is a sub par defender, just that anyone would have their hands full with Banchero(allegedly again never seen the kid)

Brooks will likely start at the 4 and be the primary defender on Paolo. I expect that to go poorly and then Collins will be brought in. His wingspan might give Banchero more issues.

Starters for Duke:

G Jeremy Roach
G Trevor Keels
F Wendell Moore
F Paolo Banchero
C Mark Williams

Starters for UK:

G TyTy Washington
G Davion Mintz
G Kellan Grady
F Keion Brooks
C Oscar Tshiebwe

AJ Griffin is back in practice but I expect him to come off the bench to start the season.
How close is AJ to 100%

Starters for Duke:

G Jeremy Roach
G Trevor Keels
F Wendell Moore
F Paolo Banchero
C Mark Williams

Starters for UK:

G TyTy Washington
G Davion Mintz
G Kellan Grady
F Keion Brooks
C Oscar Tshiebwe

Will be:
Wheeler
Washington
Grady
Brooks
Tshiebwe

Washington is good. Legit good. Too good to not start. Wheeler is all SEC PG. Biggest question for UK starting line up is SF and PF. That could go 5 different ways this season.

Starters for Duke:

G Jeremy Roach
G Trevor Keels
F Wendell Moore
F Paolo Banchero
C Mark Williams

Starters for UK:

G TyTy Washington
G Davion Mintz
G Kellan Grady
F Keion Brooks
C Oscar Tshiebwe

UK has an edge at guard but has nobody to guard Paolo. Collins might give him a different look but he's a string bean. Oscar/Mark Williams should be a fun battle until refs ruin it 3 minutes in for cheap fouls.

Reactions: tw3301 and bignish
Don't think we are really worried about anyone other than Oscar getting foul trouble. We dont have the depth at the 4 or 5 we do at the guard spots. If he gets in trouble, could be a long night for UK
I have done very little homework on this year's Duke team. But I am more ready for the season to start now that football season officially sucks.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Banchero had 29 and 12 in the Nova scrimmage. Game was high-scoring, so that probably inflated the numbers a little bit.

And as everyone knows, this game will have no effect on the teams UK and Duke become the rest of the year.

I like Ware but probably a year off from more legit production. Will be solid rotation guy and might have a big night or two.

Didn't even say Kentucky was gonna get screwed. Just that refs love doing it.
I started to accuse you of being a unc fan. For fun. But I got what you were saying. You meant it in a general sense.

Getting ahead of this, I see.
Damn straight. These f'rs gonna send K out with a whistle soundtrack.

200.gif

Reactions: GhostOf301
I bet K resorts to old school flops, Cal blows his lid, gets kicked out and Wheeler leads the team to victory.

i'd love to go into 40-0 mode after watching us tonight against a 8 time champion.

It's just teams like Duke, KU, lol@Michigan, and UL are standing in the way.

If UK beats their hardest teams then they stand the best chance.

Knowing Duke, they're going to try to pack our fudge.

Being UK is Gods favorite team, I'm not worried,

i'd love to go into 40-0 mode after watching us tonight against a 8 time champion.

It's just teams like Duke, KU, lol@Michigan, and UL are standing in the way.

If UK beats their hardest teams then they stand the best chance.
Have to say gonzaga would stand the beat chance if they can get thru their ooc.

I just think UK is much more likely to drop a conference road game to a head scratcher than gonzaga is bc the sec is a much better league, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT