ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs. Kentucky

WojoRising

Jul 3, 2015
Odd to see a matchup of a bubble team that opted out of the NCAAT and a team that missed it outright so hyped, but here we are. What is everybody expecting for this game?

I really just started this thread to ask those who fanatically pay attention to the small details (read: Kentucky fans) when do we usually know the tip times for these Champions Classic games?

Reactions: Aberdale and tw3301
Odd to see a matchup of a bubble team that opted out of the NCAAT and a team that missed it outright so hyped, but here we are. What is everybody expecting for this game?

I really just started this thread to ask those who fanatically pay attention to the small details (read: Kentucky fans) when do we usually know the tip times for these Champions Classic games?
That's generous

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Don't know a lot about Duke other than Banchero is there. I'm assuming it will be a close game as long as Zion doesn't suit up
There's a lot of moving parts for both teams. What do you think your starting lineup will be and do you think Cal starts Tshiebwe and Collins together? That would be a fun frontcourt battle between them and Williams + Banchero.

There's a lot of moving parts for both teams. What do you think your starting lineup will be and do you think Cal starts Tshiebwe and Collins together? That would be a fun frontcourt battle between them and Williams + Banchero.
Collins won’t start I don’t think. At least the buzz is Bryce Hopkins will be better at beginning of season.

Wheeler
Washington
Grady
Brooks
Oscar

Bench:
Mintz
Frederick
Allen
Ware
Toppin
Hopkins
Collins

We are a really deep team. But not as top heavy on talent as usual. So it will be a different looking Kentucky squad. I could see either Mintz or Toppin in the starting lineup for Washington or Brooks. But other than that, I bet its pretty set at this point

Wheeler
Washington
Grady
Brooks
Oscar

Bench:
Mintz
Frederick
Allen
Ware
Toppin
Hopkins
Collins

We are a really deep team. But not as top heavy on talent as usual. So it will be a different looking Kentucky squad. I could see either Mintz or Toppin in the starting lineup for Washington or Brooks. But other than that, I bet its pretty set at this point
I'm guessing Mintz may start for Grady. Word has been that Grady was having some trouble adusting to the speed and athleticism he's seeing daily.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Interesting. I would have thought him of all the transfers would have the biggest impact this season. Maybe outside of Oscar.
Calipair mentioned it during proday late interview. He's said he's found his step and he's fine.

He did take time to adjust which is understandable.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Wheeler
Washington
Grady
Brooks
Oscar

Bench:
Mintz
Frederick
Allen
Ware
Toppin
Hopkins
Collins

I would think TyTy and Big Oscar are the locks to start and see the biggest minutes on the team. Washington is future pro NBA guard who's stock rose at the end of his HS career which is a good sign for college success. Oscar's an established top 10 college big man so it'd be tough to see him get supplanted.

Calipair mentioned it during proday late interview. He's said he's found his step and he's fine.

He did take time to adjust which is understandable.
I saw that; my take is that he made the initial comments as a way of laying groundwork that Mintz will start before Grady. I can't imagine Mintz taking all that time to decide if he was coming back and then take a backseat to Grady. Cal is nothing if not loyal

Here's who I would project as the starters...

KANSAS
Remy Martin, 6'0 Sr
Ochai Agbaji, 6'5 Sr
Christian Braun, 6'6 Jr
Jalen Wilson, 6'8 So
David McCormack, 6'10 Sr
6th Man: Joseph Yesufu, 6'0 Jr

MICHIGAN STATE
Tyson Walker, 6'0 Jr
Max Christie, 6'6 Fr
Gabe Brown, 6'8 Sr
Joey Hauser, 6'9 Sr
Marcus Bingham, 7'0 Sr
6th Man: Malik Hall, 6'8 Jr

DUKE
Jeremy Roach, 6'1 So
Trevor Keels, 6'4 Fr
Wendell Moore, 6'5 Jr
Paolo Banchero, 6'10 Fr
Mark Williams, 7'0 So
6th Man: AJ Griffin, 6'6 Fr (nursing a knee injury)

KENTUCKY
Sahvir Wheeler, 5'9 Jr
TyTy Washington, 6'3 Fr
Kellan Grady, 6'5 Sr
Keion Brooks, 6'7 Jr
Oscar Tshiebwe, 6'9 Jr
6th Man: Davion Mintz, 6'3 Sr

I'll say...

Kansas 79, Michigan State 67
Duke 74, Kentucky 72

This will be one of the smaller Kentucky teams I can remember. We have had a lot of bigger guys get burned by faster, quicker players in the past. Will be interesting to see how this bunch pans out as far as rebounding and shot blocking.
It seems Calipari has finally switched from athletism and getting to the rim for shooting.

It's going to be interesting b/c like you touched on, great Calipari teams have shot blocking. Oscar plays below the rim. Collins is way above but how soon can he adjust. It seems we get a lot of guys who's only played bball for a couple of years. Collins is one of those. We'll see how he adjust. It's nice reading he's put on 15lbs of muscle and knows how to use leverage, but still those are rookie numbers.

It seems Calipari has finally switched from athletism and getting to the rim for shooting.

It's going to be interesting b/c like you touched on, great Calipari teams have shot blocking. Oscar plays below the rim. Collins is way above but how soon can he adjust. It seems we get a lot of guys who's only played bball for a couple of years. Collins is one of those. We'll see how he adjust. It's nice reading he's put on 15lbs of muscle and knows how to use leverage, but still those are rookie numbers.
Taking a bunch of athletes instead of scorers and shooters is how you win 9 games. Luckily Collins is one of the few guys who can’t shoot. Most other years, we’ve only had a few that could.

Wheeler
Washington
Grady
Brooks
Oscar

Bench:
Mintz
Frederick
Allen
Ware
Toppin
Hopkins
Collins

Cal said Oscar, Wheeler and Washington are starters at this point. Didn't have a clue on the other 2. But I'm with you with Grady and Brooks. Best to start out with experience. BTW the only way Washington doesn't start, is if he's injured lol. Hopkins and Collins both have been surprises. Collins has only been playing 4 years. He has so much upside, starting with weight lol.

I’m becoming obsessed with this game and watched the Duke blue white game + Villanova game for advanced scouting.

Duke will probably win this game, but I like Kentucky’s chances if Wheeler can consistently penetrate and dish... and Kentucky can lock down perimeter.

Think Kentucky has pretty clear advantage in backcourt on paper. Front court worries me.

Reactions: tw3301 and bignish
giphy.gif

A Kansas fan has watched the Blue vs White game and I haven't. My interest just isn't what it used to be. At least pre season.
!st half was good, I'd recommend it. 2nd was running clock and they were basically going through the motions.

A Kansas fan has watched the Blue vs White game and I haven't. My interest just isn't what it used to be. At least pre season.
Definitely better than BBM. Think I’m done with that forever. Was interesting seeing them run full speed.

Same here. All the speculative talk and analysis bores me. Until I see the team play I am going to refrain from worrying about it or discussing it. But I will say this, you can be as deep as you like, but you only play 5 at a time.

Same here. All the speculative talk and analysis bores me. Until I see the team play I am going to refrain from worrying about it or discussing it. But I will say this, you can be as deep as you like, but you only play 5 at a time.
I'm sure it will be a close game. I think we will be able to shoot it a little better but Duke should have the inside advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT